Best Binoculars for Wildlife viewing/Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Let me introduce you to Kite Optics and their stabilized binos that are just great, had a play with them in January on a pre-production model. You can even id a bird from a rocky boat, there are 2 models, a 14 x 50 and a 18 x 50 and either with AA batteries or with build-in Li-Ion battery. I do have a Swarovski but seriously considering a switch.

I have never used stabilized binoculars but I could see they handle the issue of shaking.

For bird photography use I am less interested in being able to get close to a known bird so I can identify it, than I am in finding a bird I might be able to approach close enough for a shot.

My problem with higher power binoculars is not so much the shaking, but the narrow field of view. Just like shooting with a long focal length lens it is harder to get the image into the viewfinder. I actually prefer to work with an 8 power binocular because it is easier to scan through a larger area to see what might be out there. My 8 power binoculars have to have super sharp resolution and a bright image.

Any bird I can't make out with a QUALITY 8 power optic is likely to be too far away to photograph.

I have been using a 15 year old pair of 10x42 Leicas that at the time I bought them were the top of the line. They are still incredibly sharp although no longer state of the art. I recently bought a pair of Maven B.1.2 in 8x42. The Mavens are really sharp and have a clear bright image. They are also lighter weight than the Leicas. The Maven simply works better for me on a photo shoot. I can scan a wider area, I have less eye strain and I can easily spot what is out there.

The latest in binocular technology ups the ante on magnification and stabilization. These binoculars from Swarovski also provide identification via a link to the Merlin app. The binoculars are 10x - around the limit for comfortable viewing and field of view. They have a photo function allowing you to take photos using the binoculars. And using the touch button, connect with Merlin Photo ID and will provide AI based subject identification.

These binoculars can be yours for the low price of $4799. Not bad when you consider the cost of a camera and lens providing similar magnification. They are carried by B&H, Adorama and many other retailers - but out of stock. They estimate a 2 month wait.
Just what I need. A pair of $5000 binoculars to go with a new $16,000 lens. My wife will LOVE that idea. Now tell me how I can persuade her to go along.

I think when making that kind of purchase I need to factor in the sales tax as well as the added cost of the divorce. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The latest in binocular technology ups the ante on magnification and stabilization. These binoculars from Swarovski also provide identification via a link to the Merlin app. The binoculars are 10x - around the limit for comfortable viewing and field of view. They have a photo function allowing you to take photos using the binoculars. And using the touch button, connect with Merlin Photo ID and will provide AI based subject identification.

These binoculars can be yours for the low price of $4799. Not bad when you consider the cost of a camera and lens providing similar magnification. They are carried by B&H, Adorama and many other retailers - but out of stock. They estimate a 2 month wait.
The benefit of linking to Merlin is dubious; Merlin can be very handy but it's not fool-proof. Posts on birding forums frequently demonstrate this.

Here is a link (I think) to a pretty good review of the Swaro AX Visio binoculars:

Clearly there are some flaws and the photo function is pretty much for ID purposes only, not to compete with "real" bird photographers. You can't adjust the photo exposure, and the camera sensor is teeny-tiny. My own visceral reaction is kind of horrified-but-fascinated. This seems like a toy for rich beginning birders with lots of disposable income (there are lots of those folks around). But this is just the beginning of the inevitable trend towards more and more of these kinds of AI-driven devices, which will surely get better and better (and maybe cheaper, who knows?)

I find it kind of sad, frankly, but then again, I am an old curmudgeon not all that long for this world, and even the constant group blather on my recent trip to Panama about Merlin and Ebird was not my cup of tea.

Just what I need. A pair of $5000 binoculars to go with a new $16,000 lens. My wife will LOVE that idea. Now tell me how I can persuade her to go along.

I think when making that kind of purchase I need to factor in the sales tax as well as the added cost of the divorce. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Well, you could always sell the lens and take photos with the binoculars.

Glad I could help.

Clearly there are some flaws and the photo function is pretty much for ID purposes only, not to compete with "real" bird photographers. You can't adjust the photo exposure, and the camera sensor is teeny-tiny. My own visceral reaction is kind of horrified-but-fascinated. This seems like a toy for rich beginning birders with lots of disposable income (there are lots of those folks around). But this is just the beginning of the inevitable trend towards more and more of these kinds of AI-driven devices, which will surely get better and better (and maybe cheaper, who knows?)
I don't think the photo function is to compete with bird photography. It's to provide a quick "record shot" you can upload to support your claims made to Ebird or whatever social media site you might be using to build your list. Bad photos work just as well as good ones for that, as long as they show the diagnostic field marks.

The benefit of linking to Merlin is dubious; Merlin can be very handy but it's not fool-proof. Posts on birding forums frequently demonstrate this.
Merlin Photo ID is remarkably good - and is continually improving. It's very different now than it was a year ago. I've tested it with very deep crops and soft focus images and it usually does well. It even handles juveniles, differences across breeding season vs. non-breeding, region, etc. But even if it's right 99.5% of the time, there are misses. I'd consider Merlin identification as a suggestion, not a definite answer. But even experienced birders can have differences in their opinions when it comes to ID, so any ID comes with the caveat that it may be incorrect.

I would not want perfection to be the standard for using any tool.

Merlin Photo ID is remarkably good - and is continually improving. It's very different now than it was a year ago. I've tested it with very deep crops and soft focus images and it usually does well. It even handles juveniles, differences across breeding season vs. non-breeding, region, etc. But even if it's right 99.5% of the time, there are misses. I'd consider Merlin identification as a suggestion, not a definite answer. But even experienced birders can have differences in their opinions when it comes to ID, so any ID comes with the caveat that it may be incorrect.

I would not want perfection to be the standard for using any tool.
IMO the problem is not with experienced birders who are well aware of the app's flaws & know what questions to ask themselves about the potential ID. The problem is with beginners. They're using Merlin instead of investing in books or guides & learning to look at birds thoughtfully. If you're a photographer first & don't know the birds,-- a potential market for that glass or so I assume-- I don't think leaning on the Merlin app saves you much if any time. You end up screwing up a lot in public & having to go back & fix things. Sooner or later, you've got to learn the basics of how to ID a bird or at least who is credible in your area at helping you correctly ID birds. You also have to have a rough idea of what commonly confused birds you have in the area. I dunno. The main benefit I've found to Merlin is playback or at least just having the songs in pocket to listen to before I go out. That is a different can of worms.

I've just been through a similar exercise for a pair of "photographers binoculars".
My wife has SWarovski 8 x 32 EL's - excellent in every respect.
However, I wanted 10x and the weight goes up.
Eventually I opted for Zeiss Victory SFL 10x40. They are lighter than the normal 10 x42 and have a good form factor.
In the Uk they are c.£1500.
If I was a dedicated bird watcher only I would have opted for Swarovski 10 x 42 Pure, but at c. £2750 they are pricey.

I've just been through a similar exercise for a pair of "photographers binoculars".
My wife has SWarovski 8 x 32 EL's - excellent in every respect.
However, I wanted 10x and the weight goes up.
Eventually I opted for Zeiss Victory SFL 10x40. They are lighter than the normal 10 x42 and have a good form factor.
In the Uk they are c.£1500.
If I was a dedicated bird watcher only I would have opted for Swarovski 10 x 42 Pure, but at c. £2750 they are pricey.
I'm hoping to get a pair of the 10x40 SFLs or 8x40 SFLs for my wife after she recovers from cataract surgery. She has 8x32 Zeiss conquest HDs now and may want higher magnification. We tried the SFL series at a birding festival in comparison to many high end binoculars and were very impressed. They are engineered to be significantly lighter, yet still with excellent optics. She is small and the heavier binoculars just won't work for her.

I'm using 10x42 Zeiss conquest HDs and like them a lot. They were ranked best in mid range binoculars by Cornell when we got them.

If you want to try a large number of different binoculars, I recommend going to a birding festival. In the vendor hall are usually multiple optics vendors. My favorite vendor is Out of this World Optics in Mendocino CA. Excellent service and they will beat any internet price.

The Zeiss conquest HDs are $200 off right now. The 10x42s are $799.

With wildlife photography I use binoculars and my iphone with Merlin to ID birds in an area. My binoculars of choice are Swarovski Pocket Mountain 10x25 ones that are very compact and significantly better than any I have tried with 20mm objectives. With their weight of only 12 ounces I can leave them hanging from my neck the entire time.
I leave my regular size binoculars in my truck and at home when doing photo outings. Being twice the size they would get in the way and not fit in my backpack.

My wife will only use 8x binos but if the 10x or 12x can be rested comfortably against my eye sockets I find them not a problem to use. The greater the magnification the more distant I can be from a subject.

Back