Best Binoculars for Wildlife viewing/Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i am using my binoculars every day to support my passion - photography. when my wife, mosrly a birder, bought the new 8,5x42 Swarovski I took her old Zeiss Victory and that is a fantastic binocolar to supprt photography. But the Swarovsli is much better and more expensive. Before the Zeiss Victory I had the Zeiss Conquest but it was something that I have never liked. So please take your time to pick a new binocular, they are as personal as you are, if it doesn’t fit, don’t hesitate and leave it at the store.

There are many good brands i found here, but the specifications vary, and the only way to make sure they work for you is to try them out. I found a wide range of specifications to make the eyes easier, and some work and others don’t - it’s a bit like fitting a shoe.
Vortex is a reliable brand - I'd check them out. and maybe Celestron in that price range.

Last edited:
I agree that you definitely want to try before you buy. I don't have the top of the line binoculars but I will chime in on one thing that I learned. I use an 8x42. I tried a 10x42 but my hands are not steady enough for that power. The 10x42 would have been useless if I had of bought online without trying them in person.

Reactions: DsD
I have different binos for use when carrying a camera and for out on boats and for general birding and for stargazing. Very different requirements that no one binocular will be adequate. For marine use a 50mm objective is important and for birding a 10x magnification and for stargazing a 20x60 bino works great. But my compact 10x30 are light enough to have around my neck during a day of wildlife photography and the case will fit in the water bottle pocket of my backpacks or in a jacket pocket.

For my general purpose binos I have the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 that I leave in the car so they are always available. An inexpensive Monarch 8x42 or 10x42 would work equally well for all around use if buying only one bino. I have some Swarovski binos but for all intents and purposes my Nikon Monarch and Vortex Razor work equally well. The biggest difference is in edge sharpness which is why I bought and then returned the Zeiss Victory binos.

The couple that sell and review binos at this website are a great source of information and dealing with them has been great for buying binos.

I have found the best bang for the buck is German Precision Optics gpo-usa.com. I got my Spectra 8x42 through Costco and my Spectra 10x42 when I called Mike who owns the company. 100% satisfied and I’ve had these for years. Also, the eye relief is excellent.

My late mother's last holiday gift to me some years ago was a pair of Canon 10 x 30 IS binoculars. I have always been ambivalent about them, as their ergonomics are a bit odd and they are not as bright as regular binoculars of the 8 x 42 or 10 x 42 type. But the image stabilization is definitely a plus in some situations, especially when during photography in the field it is advantageous to use just one hand to hold the binocs. You push the little button and image shake diminishes dramatically. Because of this, I am strongly considering taking the Canons on my upcoming trip to Costa Rica in January instead of my usual Nikon EDG 8 x 42s.

My late mother's last holiday gift to me some years ago was a pair of Canon 10 x 30 IS binoculars. I have always been ambivalent about them, as their ergonomics are a bit odd and they are not as bright as regular binoculars of the 8 x 42 or 10 x 42 type. But the image stabilization is definitely a plus in some situations, especially when during photography in the field it is advantageous to use just one hand to hold the binocs. You push the little button and image shake diminishes dramatically. Because of this, I am strongly considering taking the Canons on my upcoming trip to Costa Rica in January instead of my usual Nikon EDG 8 x 42s.
I have the Nikon and you're right you can't use them one handed because the image bounces all over.

I have not used the high end binos but these have served me well and have a lifetime warranty for what it is worth. The company is out of Kansas and they are manufactured in China. The quality is better than I would expect for 300 bucks and some reviewers compare them to Swarovski's .........not quite as good but held up surprisingly well in comparison except for certain conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YLTG7DA/?tag=backcogaller-20

Another point of interest for any newbie is that there is a technique to adjust binos for each individual. I didnt do this when I first bought mine. After "calibration" performance improved.

My friend was one of the lucky guys to get a good deal for one of the bigger Swarowskis (can't recall the type).
I really liked the image quality but for me the Swaroski was too bulky - and too expensive. But my freind told me about another guy he goes out with and said that he had found an amazingly good compromise. It is the Nikon 10x25HG L DCF. I had them side by side this day, was really impressed by the IQ and got one straight ways.
The main advantage for me was the combination of small size, small weight and good IQ. It fits in the jacket and if not needed, it just takes a small gap in the backpack.
Another advantage to me was that due to the lower price (I got them for about € 400 at the time) I was able to get two of these, so that my girlfriend can have her own binos. This way we can watch simultaneously and she has one permantly set to her optical correction preference (I have identical eye sight correction on both eyes and can keep it set to 0, while she has different values for left and right and thus has to use the diopter offset on her binos). I couldn't find them on the US site anymore, because I guess there is a newer model, but THIS is the link to the model I use.
I have one since 2017 and the other one since 2019, we are really happy with it and didn't have any issues whatsoever. Mine even landed in bog pool a couple of times and didn't catch any water. It is working like on day 1. One thing that might be worth to mention is that it has it has quite a short MFD. For most applications this might not be relevant, but in our case it is great for close-up observation at home. E.g. the first floor windows of my girlfriend's house are more or less covered in the nearby trees and if not taking photos we just can watch the small birds really close to monitor details, like at the moment we are monitoring a disease spreading among some species of finches that causes them problems with their feet.

I have had the high end Vortex as well as Swaroski of similar size. Yes the Swaroski are better but not by much. The Vortex are excellent while the Swaroski are superb.

Wasn't me.

Although I do like my Swarovski Binos :) We have a couple pairs and they are absolutely excellent. Pricy, but when you need to really see detail at a distance, they are invaluable. With $100 binoculars, you see a yellow bird at a distance, with Swarovski binos of the same power, you can tell if it's a goldfinch or yellow warbler.

Last edited:
Wasn't me.

Although I do like my Swarovski Binos :) We have a couple pairs and they are absolutely excellent. Pricy, but when you need to really see detail at a distance, they are invaluable. With $100 binoculars, you see a yellow bird at a distance, with Swarovski binos of the same power, you can tell if it's a goldfinch or yellow warbler.
Please identify the two you have - power/model. I thought two you commented on two different Swarovski you and your wife have. Can’t remember if it was two 8x or an 8x and a 10x . You commented on their smaller size and I think one or both were under $1000. May have been in response to someone else’s post or a post/video talking about your gear recommendations for a specific trip. Spent over an hour looking and can’t find it. Thanks!

I am absolutely new here in this forum. Speaking from a wildlife photographer's perspective, a good pair of bins are important in spotting subjects and scanning the terrain for proper sites, quarry and more. A birdwatcher is certainly better off with a 42mm (maybe even slightly bigger) objectives. For a photographer something lightweight is what I would recommend. 8x30 / 8x32 bins are lighter and actually work well - when there is light enough to shoot.

Eye relief, eyepiece design, whether or not user wears spectacles are factors that need to be considered, so trying before buying makes sense - if that option is available to you.

Modern design, coatings and glass seem to have bridged the gap between 32s and 42s to some extent. Especially true in case of good (alpha or sub-alpha) binoculars. A Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, a Swarovski CL 8x30 Companion, a Leica Trinovid 8x32 and a Nikon 8x32 HG cost about the same. These are very well made, light enough & easy to carry on a harness and do the job 99% of the time. I am sure there are similar quality binoculars by other manufacturers. Between 500-650 gms approx, the weight penalty is low, something important when you are already carrying a big body, a long lens or two, a TC or two ...

And if possible, stay away from the Zeiss SF and Swarovski NL Pure lines. Those are wicked wicked things that will occupy your brain and gnaw at your credit card. OMG are they good!!! They are magnificent!
Arijit

Last edited:
A Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, a Swarovski CL 8x30 Companion, a Leica Trinovid 8x32 and a Nikon 8x32 HG cost about the same. These are very well made, light enough & easy to carry on a harness and do the job 99% of the time.

I've been using high quality binoculars for well over 40 years, and the models you listed give you 95% of the view the alpha models (Swarovski Pure, Zeiss SF, Leica Noctivid) at less than half the price. Highly recommended, all of them. I personally prefer the Conquest 8x32 myself, simply because I think they may well be one of the toughest binoculars on the market currently. And while binoculars with larger exit pupils are always nicer, a 4mm exit pupil is sufficient most of the time. 8x32s work very well indeed, and the weight difference to 8x42s is quite significant, especially if you carry a lot of other gear like a scope+tripod. Or indeed a camera ... :)

Hermann

I purchased some Vortex Razor HD 10x42 this last summer. Very pleased with clarity , weight and brightness. smooth focus. I did look at all the high end and bang for buck were these... oh and on sale:). 10x vs 8, I enjoy the extra reach and seem stable enough to view thru without excessive shake.

I replaced a pair of heavy vintage binoculars with the Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 for the same purpose you have outlined and have been very happy with them. From memory I paid around A$ 490 for them. Rubber coated, light weight, waterproof and work well with my multi-focal glasses. Not sure if these are the same as DRWyoming's as there are Monarch 5 and Monarch 7 series.
I have a pair of Monarch years ago (perhaps 20-25 years ago). At that time I think I spent around $200. Good binos, not excpectional but a great value for the price

Please identify the two you have - power/model. I thought two you commented on two different Swarovski you and your wife have. Can’t remember if it was two 8x or an 8x and a 10x . You commented on their smaller size and I think one or both were under $1000. May have been in response to someone else’s post or a post/video talking about your gear recommendations for a specific trip. Spent over an hour looking and can’t find it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wasn't me.

Last edited:
I could have sworn I read an article from Steve making binocular recommendations to compliment wildlife photography, but searching the forums and website topics I'm running a blank...any ideas ?
Steve’s video on “What’s in my bag Africa Edition”. Spoke highly of Swarovski CL 8x25

Last edited:
Steve - just found what I was looking for in your “what do I take to Africa”. The binoculars you spoke highly of was the Swarovski CL 8x25! Heading to Costa Rica in March - going to check those out.
I have several pairs of larger Nikons. But when travelling, my current favorite binoculars are a pair of Nikon Monarch HG 8x30s. My wife has the less expensive Monarch 7 8x30s. Nice compromise between smaller and lighter while still offering good light gather power and optical quality. (I have an older pair of Nikon Premier LX 8x20s. Very light for hiking and good for 8x20 binoculars. But not as good in low light as the 8x30s. And the optics of the 8x30s are better too.)

Once upon a time, many years ago, at the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge near Socorro, New Mexico, four couples were on a deck from about one half hour before sunset to one half hour after sunset. Ziess, Swarovski, Nikon and Vortex glass was present in both spotting scopes and binos. Two couples voted for the Nikon/Vortex glass and two couples voted on the Zeiss/Swarovski glass on the basis of color. Infinitesimal differences but differences non the less. Each human being has different amounts of R(red) G (green) B(blue) receptors in their eyes. Manufacturers use different compounds on their glass and my point here is that some folks like Zeiss/Swarovski glass and some folks like Nikon/Vortex glass. I suppose this would carry over to other manufacturers as well. Birding glass is just like camera lenses. Buy the best you can afford that is tailored to your needs. Try at least these four brands and do it outside where it counts. You will be amazed by what you see and be able to pick what fits you best without error. Take your time and enjoy the process! Go out with a birding group at your local birding place. They will be happy to let you look through their glass. Warning: I have yet to meet a sane birder, but they do know their glass!:giggle:

Once upon a time, many years ago, at the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge near Socorro, New Mexico, four couples were on a deck from about one half hour before sunset to one half hour after sunset. Ziess, Swarovski, Nikon and Vortex glass was present in both spotting scopes and binos. Two couples voted for the Nikon/Vortex glass and two couples voted on the Zeiss/Swarovski glass on the basis of color. Infinitesimal differences but differences non the less. Each human being has different amounts of R(red) G (green) B(blue) receptors in their eyes. Manufacturers use different compounds on their glass and my point here is that some folks like Zeiss/Swarovski glass and some folks like Nikon/Vortex glass. I suppose this would carry over to other manufacturers as well. Birding glass is just like camera lenses. Buy the best you can afford that is tailored to your needs. Try at least these four brands and do it outside where it counts. You will be amazed by what you see and be able to pick what fits you best without error. Take your time and enjoy the process! Go out with a birding group at your local birding place. They will be happy to let you look through their glass. Warning: I have yet to meet a sane birder, but they do know their glass!:

Last edited:
Back