Best Binoculars for Wildlife viewing/Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I took my newish Zeiss 10 x 32s on my recent trip to Ecuador, and though they are compact, lightweight, and optically fantastic, I found that in dense forest the 10x maybe was a bit too much, i.e., magnification at the expense of a slightly broader view which might make it easier to locate a bird. I have a now fairly old pair of Nikon 8 x 42 EDG binocs that I think would be better for this kind of birding/bird photography. Maybe I'm nitpicking here.

Does anyone have any experience with Image stabilized binoculars? I was looking at the Canon range at the weekend. They have a 18x50 set which look pretty awesome but you pay a price in weight.
I've had a pair of 10 x 30 Image Stabilized Canon binos since the early 90's when I bought them for use when boating offshore and inland waters. I needed to see channel markers and such from an obviously unstable platform. Optical quality is quite good without the IS, but when you press that button, it's a whole different view. I will never consider non-stabilized binos as my primary, though I do have a compact Nikon 10 x 25 Travelite pair that I take when size and weight takes precedence. The Canon line of IS models has quite a few options, though they do get pricey. There is quite an active market for them in the used market on eBay...a friend had tried them and was blown away but wasn't up to the price of new ones, so I did some checking around.

The best binos are the ones you don't hesitate to carry along with your camera and lenses. For bird ID a 10x25 is more than adequate and half the size of ones with larger objectives.

According to Nikon's specs the light transmission is greater for their 10x than for their 8x binos with the same size objective lenses. On a boat 7x binos are easier to manage but no advantage on land.

Re: IS bins - Would you use a lens without IS? Have you noticed when you press the AF button that the image through the camera stops most of its movement? Same thing with IS bins. If you are young and strong you might not get as much benefit from IS bins as the more senior folks. However, being a senior, the IS bins are "clearly" my choice. Canon optics are great, possibly giving up a very slight amount of light taken in compared to my top of the line Zeiss bins, but that is more than overcome by the IS providing a relatively still view. The best thing would be to try them for yourself.

I have a pair of Canon IS binocs, the 10x30. I use them when I am going to be in a situation where I might need to handle the binoculars with one hand while I hold my camera gear with the other. They are good, of course, but there is no such thing as the proverbial free lunch. They are heavier than equivalent non-IS optics, their configuration takes some getting used to, and really, optically they are not as good as the best non-IS binoculars made by the top companies like Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Vortex, or (even) Nikon. But I agree with the previous poster that people really should try them out, as the IS feature is really valuable in many situations.

I'm not positive about the optical specs for the differenet models of Canon IS bins, but the 10X42 are labeled with a red band and an "L" in their name, which I believe indicates superior optics. I have the 10X42 L IS and the difference between top of the line Zeiss and these Canon bins is very small... I think I can see the difference, but it might just be me trying to justify 3 grand for Zeiss bins that aren't as useful as my Canon IS. Again, try them out and see what you think.

My go-to binos are the Canon 10x30 IS...I've gone through a couple of them now but keep replacing them. I think the 10x30s are the sweet spot in Canon's lineup...not too big and heavy but very effective and you can use them with one hand including focusing and turning on the stabilization. The IS more than makes up for the less that premium glass Canon uses. I've tried premium non-stabilized binos but once you get used to having IS there's no going back IMO. I don't find the smaller versions as effective. I also recommend the 12x36's -- just slightly bigger than the 10x30's but not overwhelmingly so, unlike the 10x42s or the larger 15x & 18x versions. I also dislike the newest design due to the poor ergos and awkward IS button placement, though they do offer closer focus. They're a lot more money and are built far more cheaply -- go figure. Of course binoculars are a very personal choice so as always, YMMV.

Picked up a pair of Leica Noctivid 8x42 earlier this year and love the clarity and ergonomics which should be expected at this level of binocular. The pair that are always in the truck are a pair of Steiner Military Marine in 8x30. While the Leica’s are far superior I have zero concerns take the Steiner’s out, lending them out or just letting them ride along till I spot something unexpected.

I have a pair of Nikon 10x25 Trailblazer binoculars. Bought them years ago for taking hiking, since they're small and only weight about 10oz. Never had any complaints about them, though I'm sure the image quality isn't the greatest at the low price point. And they're no problem to carry around even while lugging heavy camera gear. And easily just drop into a lens slot in my camera bag for travel.

After my last trip looking for tiny Hawaiian birds in the forest, though, I'm considering upgrading. I also got to use another person's pair of Monarchs on the trip and it was... really pretty nice.

Considering maybe getting a pair of Monarch M7s, but the weight is kinda putting me off. I'll have to go check some out locally to get a feel for it. Trying to keep it under (or at least near to) the $500 mark. Might have to look into the Vipers, too. This thread has certainly given some interesting perspective to think about!

I am giving away my age (!) but somehow I have retained a preference for the feel of porro prism binoculars in my hands. So even though I have some newer binocs (e.g., an excellent pair of Nikon EDG 8 x 42 that I picked up for a song on ebay), I always come back to my Nikon SE ("Superior E") 10 x 42s. They are just plain excellent optically. Their one drawback is that they are not waterproof to the extent of more modern roof prism binocs. However, I will be honest and say that it is rare, indeed, that I stand out in the rain looking at wildlife for long. And when I do, I have various old school methods for keeping them dry, e.g., the rain guard for the eyepieces and a jacket opening to tuck the binocs into.

If I were to run out and buy a new pair of binoculars now (which I won't do, since I am budgeting money for a future Nikon Z9 purchase), I would probably buy the top-of-the-line Zeiss Victory SF, possibly the 8 x 32 model ($2250, ouch) which is reputedly fantastic optically and a bit smaller and more compact than the x42 models.
We have a 20-year old pair of the Nikon SE 8x32's and they are excellent visually, but the diopter has no locking mechanism and frequently gets bumped out of range. Plus the rubber fold-down eye-pieces are extremely "less than convenient."

I'm a member here because I bought a pair of Swarovski 8-32 EL bins for a trip to Alaska 12 years ago. After the trip, I no longer had use for them. So I made a "last gasp" effort to get involved in birding before putting them up for sale. I discovered I loved birding and all that came with it -- especially my fellow birders and marvelous optics, including, yes, cameras. So here I am 12 years later with multiple Z bodies and lenses and a daily BCG habit. We still have the Swaro EL 8-32s and they still rock. I wish they were still made. My wife began using the Swaros after I bought Zeiss Victory SF 8-42's and she won't part with them. I've tried. My best advice. Try really good ones before you buy. I use mine nearly every day. My cost per use is now about 25¢.

I'm a member here because I bought a pair of Swarovski 8-32 EL bins for a trip to Alaska 12 years ago. After the trip, I no longer had use for them. So I made a "last gasp" effort to get involved in birding before putting them up for sale. I discovered I loved birding and all that came with it -- especially my fellow birders and marvelous optics, including, yes, cameras. So here I am 12 years later with multiple Z bodies and lenses and a daily BCG habit. We still have the Swaro EL 8-32s and they still rock. I wish they were still made. My wife began using the Swaros after I bought Zeiss Victory SF 8-42's and she won't part with them. I've tried. My best advice. Try really good ones before you buy. I use mine nearly every day. My cost per use is now about 25¢.
I have the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 since 2004, and they've been put through the ringer in every kind of environment, but especially humid & rainy. They stand up to anything, the optics are amazing, and the lifetime servicing is something they really do honor. For something you use every day, in all kinds of weather, the cost doesn't end up being an important consideration. Second the suggestion to try before you buy because most birders I know prefer 10 x 42 for the greater magnification but I like the wider field of view of the 8.5.

Reactions: DsD
I have an old pair of Leica 10x42. Around the holidays on the recommendation of a friend I bought a pair of Maven 8x42's the B.1.2 model. They are quality optics and very bright image.

They are really nice binocs and perfect for scouting during a photo shoot. I have not compared them directly with a high end Swarovski but I feel they are good enough at about one third the cost for my purposes.

Maven spends no money on promotion and you buy them direct so there is considerable saving over the high priced models.

I could have sworn I read an article from Steve making binocular recommendations to compliment wildlife photography, but searching the forums and website topics I'm running a blank...any ideas ?
My wife’s a fan of Vortex Razor HD 8x42. Well prices for great quality. A little heavy.

My 12x42 Monarch 5 binos continue to get regular and rough use. They work fine. Some of the birder binocular testing sites are very helpful to try and make tricky decisions.

Last year I added a pair of Nikon LaserForce 10x42 with integral Laser rangefinder. These are quite heavy but invaluable for many tasks besides photography. Great to have to get precise subject distances obviously.

This the thread that is like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going and going and going.

As with any bit of optical kit, a crucial factor is how much one is willing to spend to get increased increments of "quality." And with binoculars, there is also, how much bigger and heavier one is willing to go to get better durability and light gathering capacity? Do you want something that is absolutely compact and light? No matter how much you spend on pocket-sized binos (e.g., Swarovski) you won't get the low light performance of a full size pair of even average binoculars. Every person has to decide the "sweet spot" of size, quality, price. i.e., "bang per buck."

There's also that issue of what kind of "view" one considers the gold standard. I currently own a pair of fantastic Zeiss 10 x 32 SF binos, which are compact enough for long-distance travel but still absolutely top of the line. I decided that I valued the slightly smaller size compared with the 10 x 42 model because those rare instances of very low light where the 10 x 42s would gather a bit more light were less significant than the smaller size/weight. At the same time, over time I have realized that my own "gold standard" for a pleasing, relaxing, gorgeous "view" through binos is actually captured best by the now-discontinued Nikon EDG II series. My battered 8 x 42 EDG model is for me, my gold standard. I realize that lots of people disagreed/disagreed, as the best European binoculars tended to be rated higher by the experts. The best Swaros, Zeisses, and Leicas are slightly "brighter" than the Nikons, but for me, this "brightness" comes with at the price of a bit of harshness in color rendition that I find the Nikon EDG transcends. But that's me.

So there is no clear answer to "what are the best binoculars to take on a trip."
Doug Greenberg

I have used a variety of binoculars over the years and the amount of magnification really depends on the intended use.

For boating we used 7x50 binoculars. The boat movement made any longer focal length practically useless. We also needed a large diameter lens (50) because we were often looking for navigating buoys and other objects in the water at night. These were heavy binoculars but we used them on a boat so we did not have to hike with them anywhere.

I then got a high quality 10x42 Leica pair. These captured exquisite detail but they did not work so well for general viewing. Too narrowly focused for my viewing comfort. They did however work if I had a subject and I wanted to view a known distant subject in great detail.

Finally I went to a high optical quality 8x42. That magnification works best for me when scanning a field to find birds during a photo shoot.

Almost anything in the $2-5OO range will provide good service. After years of reading the "Optics 4 Birding" site, and wondering what "Inner feather detail" could be, I settled on Bushnell 8 X 42 Legends, which did me well, with glasses and Cataracts. My kids gave me 8X42 Vortexx Vipers one Christmas. LOVE 'em! Since Cataract surgery, which sharpened my distance vision to 20-20, and removed a horrible yellow tint to my vision, they are still great binos.
I can't afford the $warovskis , Leica$ and Zei$$ glass, but the Vortexs do marvelously.
I was at Yelowstone one year, and an aircraft carrier size motor home with California plates pulled up, and the passengers set up a beautiful Leica spotting scope on a tripod. They were remarking about wildlife somewhere in the next Zip Code, and I only had my longest lens, a 400mm Tokina on my Nikon FM. Obviously, I couldn't see what they were enthusing about. I kicked the tire of the motor home on my way to the car. Envious? ME? Naaah!:p

Let me introduce you to Kite Optics and their stabilized binos that are just great, had a play with them in January on a pre-production model. You can even id a bird from a rocky boat, there are 2 models, a 14 x 50 and a 18 x 50 and either with AA batteries or with build-in Li-Ion battery. I do have a Swarovski but seriously considering a switch.

The latest in binocular technology ups the ante on magnification and stabilization. These binoculars from Swarovski also provide identification via a link to the Merlin app. The binoculars are 10x - around the limit for comfortable viewing and field of view. They have a photo function allowing you to take photos using the binoculars. And using the touch button, connect with Merlin Photo ID and will provide AI based subject identification.

These binoculars can be yours for the low price of $4799. Not bad when you consider the cost of a camera and lens providing similar magnification. They are carried by B&H, Adorama and many other retailers - but out of stock. They estimate a 2 month wait.

Back