Best gear to take to Botswana with 20kg total weight restriction

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, I know some members have done the Chobe etc workshops with Steve in the past. I am going to Botswana on my 3rd safari in a few weeks and since the last one have acquired the Z9 and the Z800pf. Previously struggled to decide what lenses to take with 2 camera bodies (Z5 and Z6) a Z 24-70; sigma 150-600 (obviously not covered between 70mm and 150mm which was manageable in most cases) and now with the much heavier Z9 and 800pf lenses its doubly a problem in terms of weight for small intercamp flights. I'll take the Z6, Z9, I simply must have the 800pf as awkward as it can be on a boat or a game vehicle, but what then? Sometimes game is close to the road, but most often not. So I'm thinking the 70-200mm with a 2xTC, still another heavy lens. Then I'm covered from 70 - 400mm and a gap to 800mm? This weight will probably be 15kg out of my allowed 20kg as the previous gear in a bag weighed 12kg. Or do I take the 150-600mm sigma (with an adapter) and have nothing to cover below 150mm? Also I have to bear in mind climbing in and out of little planes with propellers spinning and nearly blowing you off the steps while clutching the spare lens bags with the backpack on the back. Any suggestions from the experienced please....

If I had a Z800 and was going to Africa, there is no way in the world I would not take it.
You don’t have to cover every focal length. The 24-70, the 800 and the 70-200 with a TC would work well for me.

I was just there and took 800pf, 500pf, 80-400, and 50. Used the 800 the majority of time, 80-400 next, and then 50. Only used the 500 once. So I would take the 800 and 70-200 with 2xTC, and not worry about the 400-800 gap. If you decide to take the 150-600 instead of the 70-200, I would consider buying a 50 to take as well. It takes up very little space and weights almost nothing. It's fun sometimes to use a "normal" lens and take what you are actually seeing. I agree with you that considering the lenses you have you must take the 800. It's an amazing lens and fun to use, especially if you like birds. Since you are taking another camera and shorter lens you won't have to worry about having too much lens.

Nice to have problems like that :giggle:
When I am in the Kgalagdi (next to Botswana) I use the 200-500 (on a cropped body) at least 80% of the time, 70-200 and 24-70 on FX 20% of the time
The 800 is excellent for birds, and there are plenty. But you will be seeing bigger animals - a lot ....
I could quite comfortably go on a safari with JUST the 200-500. Seriously.

EDIT FEB 2024

I have since this post, updated my gear - and would now go with the 180-600 which replaced the 200-500. Perhaps throwing in a 28mm or something for wide shots of the area

Last edited:
My advice would be to leave the 800mm at home. I think it is likely to be 'too much' lens in many situations and the Z9 gives so much scope to crop if you are photographing animals that are a good way off. I just used my Z9 and 100-400 with 1.4 Tc on my last trip to Africa and was very happy.
Thank you. I have considered that but its a hard call, having purchased the lens for wildlife especially. But I know this is sensible advice and I'll definitely give it some more thought. Also I find I'm shooting birdlife a lot more than previously so the 800 is great for that. Thanks for the input

Nice to have problems like that :giggle:
When I am in the Kgalagdi (next to Botswana) I use the 200-500 (on a cropped body) at least 80% of the time, 70-200 and 24-70 on FX 20% of the time
The 800 is excellent for birds, and there are plenty. But you will be seeing bigger animals - a lot ....
I could quite comfortably go on a safari with JUST the 200-500. Seriously.
Yes I agree I'm very happy to have these kind of problems. Almost wish I was going by 4x4 so I could take everything. I live in Africa, so its something to consider doing, going by road...I tried taking the Z70-200 with a 2xTC previously, then last time left it behind and took the sigma 150-600 and the Z24-70. Results were better with the sigma so I know I need the extra reach...Thanks for your input

Take the 800, 150-600 and a 24-70 -- sometimes you get elphants very close to the bank and nice lanscapes from the river.
The 800 is very useful for birds at most distsnces - except skimmers -- and most action on the bank. I went with Lou C (CNP) who ensured all shooters had a 600mm this made their job easier to place the boat in a spot good for all shooters. NOW -- SINCE you will be shooting at both ends of the day - you want both reach and a very bright aperture. Have a look at my flickr album - I took the 200-500 and 600/4 as well as other lenses.

Yes I agree I'm very happy to have these kind of problems. Almost wish I was going by 4x4 so I could take everything. I live in Africa, so its something to consider doing, going by road...I tried taking the Z70-200 with a 2xTC previously, then last time left it behind and took the sigma 150-600 and the Z24-70. Results were better with the sigma so I know I need the extra reach...Thanks for your input
Sell a kidney and get a 4x4 😂

It would be a shame not to have the 800 on the trip because it will be really great for birds. I know its is difficult - if possible - do like Andy says - 800, 150-600, and 24-70. If that doesn't work - Just book another safari and try again!

I built my 4x4 around my photographic needs - and I self-drive so I don't have to carry the lot.
Hope you get sorted

It is wise to take 2 cameras on a trip. I would suggest Z6 for its distinct low light advantage. I agree definitely pack the Bigma.

The 800 PF will be extremely useful, as I learnt in Kruger last year soon after my copy arrived. As a destination kit, shooting from a vehicle or hide. I pair it with the 180-400 TC (then D5, latterly D6).

As to flying with Z6 and Z9 plus 2 sizeable telephotos, I pack and fly with more into Zambia and Angola etc despite their petty restrictions. My main packs have included fStop Sukha 70l, or MS 45L Elite, switched to the new fStop Ajna.

A well designed waistcoat aka Photographer's Vest is a saviour with huge pockets, which will fit at least 1 camera and a smaller lens plus many more smaller items that add up to a fair weight. It's essential to get a well made w'coat that is actually designed for photographers. I get one of 70-200 2.8E, or 400 f4.5S or 500 PF into the rear Poachers Pocket on my Raptor waistcoat - just ensure the flap is properly clipped down, better use a lanyard to stop it falling out if the coat is removed in a hurry etc. I wear all these on you at check in especially. This vest has 13 pockets inside and out that pack in a pile of gear, as this guy demonstrates !

https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/photo-travel-vest.21383/post-242424

a relevant blog post, and I have read of other regular flyers using the GuraGear Chobe together with a backpack or Pelican Air that fits the carry on limits

If I had a Z800 and was going to Africa, there is no way in the world I would not take it.
You don’t have to cover every focal length. The 24-70, the 800 and the 70-200 with a TC would work well for me.
My thinking too. I just have to weigh it all in to see if I can carry it (I'm 70 next birthday so not quite superwoman), fit it in a backpack with I guess one lens bag separate (the 800) and only take 2 T-shirts and 2 shorts and a toothbrush 😅. Has to be worth it. Thank you for contributing your thoughts.

It is wise to take 2 cameras on a trip. I would suggest Z6 for its distinct low light advantage. I agree definitely pack the Bigma.

The 800 PF will be extremely useful, as I learnt in Kruger last year soon after my copy arrived. As a destination kit, shooting from a vehicle or hide. I pair it with the 180-400 TC (then D5, latterly D6).

As to flying with Z6 and Z9 plus 2 sizeable telephotos, I pack and fly with more into Zambia and Angola etc despite their petty restrictions. My main packs have included fStop Sukha 70l, or MS 45L Elite, switched to the new fStop Ajna.

A well designed waistcoat aka Photographer's Vest is a saviour with huge pockets, which will fit at least 1 camera and a smaller lens plus many more smaller items that add up to a fair weight. It's essential to get a well made w'coat that is actually designed for photographers. I get one of 70-200 2.8E, or 400 f4.5S or 500 PF into the rear Poachers Pocket on my Raptor waistcoat - just ensure the flap is properly clipped down, better use a lanyard to stop it falling out if the coat is removed in a hurry etc. I wear all these on you at check in especially. This vest has 13 pockets inside and out that pack in a pile of gear, as this guy demonstrates !

https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/photo-travel-vest.21383/post-242424

a relevant blog post, and I have read of other regular flyers using the GuraGear Chobe together with a backpack or Pelican Air that fits the carry on limits
Thanks so much for the links and mine of information. I have done this particular trip twice before, its not the major airline that is the problem, its the intercamp small planes, anything from a 4 seater to a 12 seater. The seating space is very cramped and the blast of air coming off the props as one goes up the rickety steps is also a bit problematic. So I have to have a backpack and mostly handsfree - I could manage one lens bag, the rest of luggage would be slung into the little area at the back of the plane by the staff. I'm thinking to enlarge my backpack to a bigger one and take 3 lenses, 2 camera bodies. I'll pack and weigh and see what I can come up with... much appreciated. I am going to look into the waistcoat

I was just there and took 800pf, 500pf, 80-400, and 50. Used the 800 the majority of time, 80-400 next, and then 50. Only used the 500 once. So I would take the 800 and 70-200 with 2xTC, and not worry about the 400-800 gap. If you decide to take the 150-600 instead of the 70-200, I would consider buying a 50 to take as well. It takes up very little space and weights almost nothing. It's fun sometimes to use a "normal" lens and take what you are actually seeing. I agree with you that considering the lenses you have you must take the 800. It's an amazing lens and fun to use, especially if you like birds. Since you are taking another camera and shorter lens you won't have to worry about having too much lens.
Thanks so much - this makes much sense to me based on the lenses I have.

Thanks so much for the links and mine of information. I have done this particular trip twice before, its not the major airline that is the problem, its the intercamp small planes, anything from a 4 seater to a 12 seater. The seating space is very cramped and the blast of air coming off the props as one goes up the rickety steps is also a bit problematic. So I have to have a backpack and mostly handsfree - I could manage one lens bag, the rest of luggage would be slung into the little area at the back of the plane by the staff. I'm thinking to enlarge my backpack to a bigger one and take 3 lenses, 2 camera bodies. I'll pack and weigh and see what I can come up with... much appreciated. I am going to look into the waistcoat
Ahhh this link in your journey makes sense on the strict policing of weight etc.
I've flown in twins in similar intra country transfers further north in Africa. The pilot or ground staff weigh each item for the cradle "hold"! These occasions are also when the waistcoat proved its worth (again).
A backpack like the new version of the fstop Tilopa with XL Pro ICU should be accepted into a Cessna. This new fStop is much improved including increased space in the side and accessory compartments. Worst case you can separate the ICU to be more compact. Mindshift Elite 45L is fine except the poor accessory compartment and nothing on the sides.
Another suggestion if it's feasible is to get a 100-400 S as it's that much lighter and shorter. This fits in my Raptor waistcoat for boarding ;) in a large side pocket with foot and hood removed. I always have a lens or camera in a soft cloth bag if it's carried this way.

Ahhh this link in your journey makes sense on the strict policing of weight etc.
I've flown in twins in similar intra country transfers further north in Africa. The pilot or ground staff weigh each item for the cradle "hold"! These occasions are also when the waistcoat proved its worth (again).
A backpack like the new version of the fstop Tilopa with XL Pro ICU should be accepted into a Cessna. This new fStop is much improved including increased space in the side and accessory compartments. Worst case you can separate the ICU to be more compact. Mindshift Elite 45L is fine except the poor accessory compartment and nothing on the sides.
Another suggestion if it's feasible is to get a 100-400 S as it's that much lighter and shorter. This fits in my Raptor waistcoat for boarding ;) in a large side pocket with foot and hood removed. I always have a lens or camera in a soft cloth bag if it's carried this way.
Thank you!

Hi -- I have flown once from Joberg to Namibia and back then to Botswana the airport next to the Chobe River -- No One asked to weigh my carryon and it fitted fine in the overhead locker and under the seat. Your issue may well be the size of the locker -- there simply may not be space for a large camera bag -- you may be prepared to split your gear and check some of the larger items with the rest of your luggage -- this is what I did.

Hi -- I have flown once from Joberg to Namibia and back then to Botswana the airport next to the Chobe River -- No One asked to weigh my carryon and it fitted fine in the overhead locker and under the seat. Your issue may well be the size of the locker -- there simply may not be space for a large camera bag -- you may be prepared to split your gear and check some of the larger items with the rest of your luggage -- this is what I did.
Thanks so much Andy, for the small inter camp flights I keep the backpack on my lap so it doesn't get slung around in the back with other guests luggage being on-and off-loaded or mistakenly picked up, since those little flights often stop at several camps on the way to one's own destination. So I'm not so worried about the actual backpack (as long as I can carry it myself,) it's more about if they weigh the total luggage. I doubt they will from my previous experience but still I can't be obviously carrying way too much weight otherwise they will check me. So I'm going to pick between the 2xTC + 70-200 or the 150-600 and then take the 800 and the 24-70. Too often there are lion lying nearby and I couldn't stand to not have the right lens for that. I do tend to shoot some landscapes and sunsets across the water or whatever too so I think this combo will be great.
Splitting luggage would be fine on the little planes but I would never take the chance on a main airline of having it in checked baggage. I have to cross borders and deal with rough baggage handling and too often theft ,so whatever gear I take I will carry the whole way through. Appreciate your input, thank you.

Thanks so much Andy, for the small inter camp flights I keep the backpack on my lap so it doesn't get slung around in the back with other guests luggage being on-and off-loaded or mistakenly picked up, since those little flights often stop at several camps on the way to one's own destination. So I'm not so worried about the actual backpack (as long as I can carry it myself,) it's more about if they weigh the total luggage. I doubt they will from my previous experience but still I can't be obviously carrying way too much weight otherwise they will check me. So I'm going to pick between the 2xTC + 70-200 or the 150-600 and then take the 800 and the 24-70. Too often there are lion lying nearby and I couldn't stand to not have the right lens for that. I do tend to shoot some landscapes and sunsets across the water or whatever too so I think this combo will be great.
Splitting luggage would be fine on the little planes but I would never take the chance on a main airline of having it in checked baggage. I have to cross borders and deal with rough baggage handling and too often theft ,so whatever gear I take I will carry the whole way through. Appreciate your input, thank you.
I flew with both the South African domestic airlines on fairly modern aircraft. So this was not an issue. In Kenya I only use Safari Link for my flights from Wilson Airport to the camps I visit -- I normally buy a freight seat to ensure I have no issues.
I have not flown on other very small aircraft, but usually one can manage this in advance buy buying extra luggage allowance or a freight seat or buying/paying for the excess when they weigh all your bags/carry ons etc.. like Safari Link do.

Many many folk fly with heavy gear to Botswana -- so there are well tried/used routes to follow. I was carrying D5, D810 and D500, plus 600/4, 200-500, 70-200 and 24-70 plus TC's lots of storage and a wonderful double headed gimbal that fitted to my seat on the boat.
If you are concerned I would contact your operator or the airlines you are worried about. This is how I discovered about pre-booking freight seats.
May I ask who are you travelling with on the Chobe -- Pangolin? IF so say hello to Guts and the team.

I just got back from Australia/New Zealand and used a TT Backlight 26L backpack. I had a Z9, Z6 II, 24-70 f4, 500 f5.6 pf and a 100-400 f4.5-5.6. Also had a 17 inch Dell Laptop in it. Had the weight around 14 kg. If I was going to Africa, I would think that those lens would cover most of the needs.

Just getting ready to go to Botswana myself ,taking my d500 and my z6ii, plus 500 mm pf ,24 200 mm ,and either my 80 400 or my 300 pf +1.4 tc ,I usually take my 80 400 but to reduce weight I am toying at leaving it at home in favour of the 300 mmpf +1.4 tc

Hello
I will be traveling to Botswana for a photo trip in early October. And the same question arises for me as @Laura: What photo equipment do I take with me.
I own the Z9, Z100-400, Z TC1.4 and of course the FTZII adapter. There are also the AF-S lenses 500/5.6 PF, 24-120/4 G, 16-35/4, TC1.4III. As a second camera I would take the D500.
I travel with Pangolin on the houseboat, then to the Okavango Delta and then to the Kalahari. How about the weight on the small flights? Do I need a tripod or is a monopod sufficient?
Thanks for your tips.

Hello
I will be traveling to Botswana for a photo trip in early October. And the same question arises for me as @Laura: What photo equipment do I take with me.
I own the Z9, Z100-400, Z TC1.4 and of course the FTZII adapter. There are also the AF-S lenses 500/5.6 PF, 24-120/4 G, 16-35/4, TC1.4III. As a second camera I would take the D500.
I travel with Pangolin on the houseboat, then to the Okavango Delta and then to the Kalahari. How about the weight on the small flights? Do I need a tripod or is a monopod sufficient?
Thanks for your tips.

I,m doing a similar trip in 5 weeks ,plan on taking my d500 & z6ii, plus 500 mm pf ,nikon 80 400mm and my 24 200 mm z ,did the trip last year and most used lens was the 80 400 mm so your 100 400 should be perfect

Hi, I know some members have done the Chobe etc workshops with Steve in the past. I am going to Botswana on my 3rd safari in a few weeks and since the last one have acquired the Z9 and the Z800pf. Previously struggled to decide what lenses to take with 2 camera bodies (Z5 and Z6) a Z 24-70; sigma 150-600 (obviously not covered between 70mm and 150mm which was manageable in most cases) and now with the much heavier Z9 and 800pf lenses its doubly a problem in terms of weight for small intercamp flights. I'll take the Z6, Z9, I simply must have the 800pf as awkward as it can be on a boat or a game vehicle, but what then? Sometimes game is close to the road, but most often not. So I'm thinking the 70-200mm with a 2xTC, still another heavy lens. Then I'm covered from 70 - 400mm and a gap to 800mm? This weight will probably be 15kg out of my allowed 20kg as the previous gear in a bag weighed 12kg. Or do I take the 150-600mm sigma (with an adapter) and have nothing to cover below 150mm? Also I have to bear in mind climbing in and out of little planes with propellers spinning and nearly blowing you off the steps while clutching the spare lens bags with the backpack on the back. Any suggestions from the experienced please....
Every time I am on a safari, I take one body camera attached to the longest telephoto which is a 600mm TC, and the other body is attached to a zoom, the 70-200 mm f2.8 to which I can add a 1.4 TC if needed. This combination cover my most photography in the field and I don’t need to change lenses in dusty areas. I also carry in my bag a wide angle and a macro and to be honest I hardly use them.
I am going to Tanzania in November and if the Z 200-600 mm is announced and delivered to me then i will added it to my bag.
I keep a journal for every trip I take for wildlife photography, in which I detail what gear I used the most and the one not used as well what was missing. This way help me to be better prepare for the next trip.

The wildlife on these trips are closer than you would expect.
Take a long lens but you will probably find yourself using the 70-200 most and even the 24-70 more than a long lens.
Most of the tours cater for people even taking photos with smartphones which means pretty close ... 🦘

Back