Best gear to take to Botswana with 20kg total weight restriction

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello
I will be traveling to Botswana for a photo trip in early October. And the same question arises for me as @Laura: What photo equipment do I take with me.
I own the Z9, Z100-400, Z TC1.4 and of course the FTZII adapter. There are also the AF-S lenses 500/5.6 PF, 24-120/4 G, 16-35/4, TC1.4III. As a second camera I would take the D500.
I travel with Pangolin on the houseboat, then to the Okavango Delta and then to the Kalahari. How about the weight on the small flights? Do I need a tripod or is a monopod sufficient?
Thanks for your tips.
We're thinking of taking that same Pangolin safari next year. What did you think of the trip and were your gear choices right? I'll have a Z8, 180-600Z, 24-120/4Z, and 14-24Z for some astro in Kalahari (I'm hoping to borrow a tripod from Pangolin for the astro or find a good tabletop to rest the gear on). As the OP in this thread, I'm concerned about weight on the transfer flights.

Hi @cmhammon
I took the Z9, 180-600, 24-120 and AF-S 500 PF with me on this trip. And that worked perfectly. I've never used the 500. Pangolin provided tripods for astro photography.
It was a great trip. The photo guide and game drivers were great. I will never regret taking this trip and highly recommend Pangolin. They put the guest at the center when it comes to good shots. Look forward to this photo tour.
The weight on the flights from Kasane to Okavango and to Kalahari was not a problem, you can take 25 kg with you. No hard cases.

Hi @cmhammon
I took the Z9, 180-600, 24-120 and AF-S 500 PF with me on this trip. And that worked perfectly. I've never used the 500. Pangolin provided tripods for astro photography.
It was a great trip. The photo guide and game drivers were great. I will never regret taking this trip and highly recommend Pangolin. They put the guest at the center when it comes to good shots. Look forward to this photo tour.
The weight on the flights from Kasane to Okavango and to Kalahari was not a problem, you can take 25 kg with you. No hard cases.
Thanks, that’s what I hoped. I kept the 500pf when I sold all of my F-mount lenses (I’m pretty sure I’ll be selling it on this site soon) and hadn’t planned to take it to Botswana. I also thought about Pangolin’s Masai Mara trip, but chose the safari we’re talking about because everything I’ve read about Mara photo safaris said that it’s pretty common to have many trucks at any sighting, because of all of the guides communicating with each other and sometimes interfering with sightlines and scaring the animals away.

Thanks, that’s what I hoped. I kept the 500pf when I sold all of my F-mount lenses (I’m pretty sure I’ll be selling it on this site soon) and hadn’t planned to take it to Botswana. I also thought about Pangolin’s Masai Mara trip, but chose the safari we’re talking about because everything I’ve read about Mara photo safaris said that it’s pretty common to have many trucks at any sighting, because of all of the guides communicating with each other and sometimes interfering with sightlines and scaring the animals away.
You made a good decision. If a trip to Zambia were offered next year, I might be interested in it. Have fun with the Z8.

Is 20kg the total to get on a plane along your journey or for the overhead on a plane? Camera and computer gear batteries, chargers, and other assorted items in a backpack will eat close to all that. I can only pack a camera and two lenses on a full day of walking. My basic camera load is a Z14-30 f/4, Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8, and the Z100-400 f/4.5-5.6.

Thanks Roy, but close hasn't been my experience the majority of the time. Of course there have been close encounters and also I do like to fit in some landscape shots when they present, but I agree 70-200 is often good. However for more distant game and definitely for birds the long lens is a must for me. I try to keep the 'most often used' on 2 bodies as changing lenses in these windy and dusty environments is a last resort. 3 bodies is too much to carry on these little transports too - that would be quite idyllic, even if only on my little Z5..
To tell the truth…i am going to Tanzania next month with Steve and while I will have either the 24-70 or 24-120…my iPhone 15 Pro Max is going to be my first choice for close encounters…of left at 1x it shoots 24mm 48MP RAW files and doesn’t require a lens swap. And if my backpack, vest, and weight limit can swing it, I might bring a third body with the Z7II and 24-70 and that will mean zero lens swaps in the field though the TCs might be on and off I guess…depends on what we see.

Might consider 180-600 plus either 24-120, 70-200, 24-200 (not quite as good as the others but still very good), or 70-180. Never tried TC on the 180-600 so if you really think you need extra reach, include the 800 PF

Just make sure you have a light camera backpack - not a rolling bag.

Might consider 180-600 plus either 24-120, 70-200, 24-200 (not quite as good as the others but still very good), or 70-180. Never tried TC on the 180-600 so if you really think you need extra reach, include the 800 PF

I’m on again and off again with the 180-600…but am probably going to get one anyway since it is pretty inexpensive and good…and I’m not getting any younger and spending the kid‘s inheritance (or some of it anyway) isn’t an issue as he’s a liberal who doesn’t care about money much anyway. I’m not sure that it will replace the 600PF…but a 2 body 2 lens kit of the 600 and TC and the zoom on the other body covers almost everything one sees here in FL.

edit…I can report I ordered the 180-600…flexibility and a little better images than the 100-400…amd if I like it I’m thinking the 100-400 and 400/4.5 become extraneous for me…and maybe even the 70-200 as it gets used even less than the 400 down here.

Last edited:
Nice to have problems like that :giggle:
When I am in the Kgalagdi (next to Botswana) I use the 200-500 (on a cropped body) at least 80% of the time, 70-200 and 24-70 on FX 20% of the time
The 800 is excellent for birds, and there are plenty. But you will be seeing bigger animals - a lot ....
I could quite comfortably go on a safari with JUST the 200-500. Seriously.
I agree, the 200-500 does so much for me, i mean if i had a 180-600 it would be much the same in terms or coverage, if i needed a second lens it would be my 70-200 FL.
These are just great tools.

Well, after having travelled twice to Kenya after my first Chobe trip, I can only say that every bit of gear I took along was well used...

My first trip to the Kicheche Camps back in May 23 showed me that the Z800 was used for almost 50% of all my pictures (28k...), the second trip was on Dec 23/Jan 24 along with my wife with the same gear and didn't have any regrets...

In 18 days I'll be on my way to Botswana (Pangolin) and I'm considering taking the 600/4 FL instead of the Z800, only for the light conditions, but haven't made my mind just yet... will decide while packing (and that'll be the night before departure...LOL!)

This will have to fit again, along with chargers, batts, 15" laptop and its PS:

2x z9
1x D6
2x FTZII
Z800 PF or 600/4 FL
180-400 TC
24-120/4

on a Vanguard Sky Alta 68 + Lowepro AWS 450.👌

I agree with the need to take two DSLR/mirrorless bodies, one with a longer lens and the other with short / medium reach zoom lens.
I was in Botswana a few years ago and I found it invaluable to keep a compact camera, the Sony RX100 in the breast pocked of my safari shirt at all times. Big cats by your vehicle will be too close, even for a short zoom. Local vistas and portraits can all be taken at short notice and no need to change lens.
Get one of the older versions of the RX100 with the 24-70mm lens. It will cost you less than half the price of the latest version and only weigh 290 grams (10.2 oz)
You now have a three camera solution that covers all eventualities !

When packing to Africa all be sure to look at what the carry on weight limits are for domestic flights in Africa. I typically use Airlinks and their carry-on policy is 8 kg in coach and 16 kg in business class (although all flights do NOT have business class).

When I booked a safari in 2024 I specified business class tickets between Maun and Johannesburg so I could take 16 kg on board with me. Once one includes other essentials (a days clothing, toiletries, batteries, etc.) 16 kg gets used up very quickly. Also remember the the empty luggage has weight as well.

FWIW, when flying with Safarilink we can purchase extra weight in advance.

I did that and it worked perfectly fine for us. I was 2kg over the limit paid up and they waived the difference. Their rate (Dec 23) from Wilson to the Mara was:

1708856007536.png

Krgds, Marcelo

Something I have done that has worked well is to wear a jacket with large pockets, in my case a Domke photographer's jacket. I can put a SB-800 speedlight, a 14-24mm, 70-200mm, and a camera body and extra EN-EL18 batteries inside the pockets and wear that weight onto the plane. Easy to remove the jacket when I get on the plane and stuff it somewhere for the flight. The jacket lends itself to fitting into spaces where no backpack or hard luggage would fit.

I have only been weighed twice before taking a flight and there were passengers whose "dry weight" was 50 or more pounds greater than my own. If I was charged for excess baggage then that would be part of the cost of the trip and no big deal.

To tell the truth…i am going to Tanzania next month with Steve and while I will have either the 24-70 or 24-120…my iPhone 15 Pro Max is going to be my first choice for close encounters…of left at 1x it shoots 24mm 48MP RAW files and doesn’t require a lens swap. And if my backpack, vest, and weight limit can swing it, I might bring a third body with the Z7II and 24-70 and that will mean zero lens swaps in the field though the TCs might be on and off I guess…depends on what we see.
Very interesting about the iPhone 15 Pro Max Anjin, I have never ever considered using a phone camera on safari but this sounds like a good idea for when I decide on a new phone. I deliberately chose a cheaper phone than my family a few years back as I carry the cameras and felt I didn't need the best phone camera on the planet. But the weight restrictions on these small flights is a constant battle/concern as after paying for a safari one wants to know one has the best gear available to take advantage of all the opportunities that arise and one always has to leave gear behind that one would rather have on the trip. I have done 3 Botswana safaris in the last 2 years and another one coming up soon, I STILL don't feel I have the situation under control regarding what gear to take. There is always a gap...

When packing to Africa all be sure to look at what the carry on weight limits are for domestic flights in Africa. I typically use Airlinks and their carry-on policy is 8 kg in coach and 16 kg in business class (although all flights do NOT have business class).

When I booked a safari in 2024 I specified business class tickets between Maun and Johannesburg so I could take 16 kg on board with me. Once one includes other essentials (a days clothing, toiletries, batteries, etc.) 16 kg gets used up very quickly. Also remember the the empty luggage has weight as well.
John I live in South Africa, use Airlink for these cross-border flights into Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia. It's not what you can carry on Airlink that is the trouble, it's the inter-camp flights on the safari. They are anything from 4 seaters to 12 seaters depending on the day and who has to be moved from where to where, but they are super strict about your 20kg limit in total, clothes, toiletries and gear. That is a major problem for all of us.

I recently acquired the Z180-600, so I think on my upcoming trip I'l take that and my Z24-70 and Z70 -200mm. 2 bodies. That leaves out the wide angle which is a nice-to-have for when beautiful Baobab trees come into view from the vehicle quite close up, or the minuscule little frogs living on reeds in the water require a macro lens. Also I bought the 800PF especially for these trips and absolutely love it but found that it's another bag to carry. This gear alone is already about 20kg - I can hardly pick up my back pack and the 800PF has its own bag. I'm hoping my hubby will carry the 800PF for me as part of his luggage but even so, it leaves very little room for jackets for cooler nights etc. I have tried my TC with the 180-200 once and thought the results were awful but then I have the 2.0 TC which was clearly a mistake..

Yes, this is for all baggage.

@RichF
For me, the focal length of 600 mm has always been enough and I almost never use the TC1.4 on this lens.

@Anjin San
If I had a second Z-Body and the fixed focal length 600/6.3 was already available, it would be a good combination without having to change the lens. Maybe on the next photo trip.
Right now, I’m looking at Eagle Creek rolling duffle bags, which should squash down well in the baggage pod below the Cessna Caravan or other types of small planes going to the Kalahari from Chobe on Pangolin’s safari. The wheels are almost buried in the body of the duffle, so I don’t think that will be a problem. It also doesn’t have a frame, like some Samsonite duffles I’ve seen, which I’ve read can be a problem for some pilots to get past. I’d appreciate hearing whether duffles are a good idea and other folks’ experiences with getting bags into those baggage pods below the small planes.

Last edited:
Very interesting about the iPhone 15 Pro Max Anjin, I have never ever considered using a phone camera on safari but this sounds like a good idea for when I decide on a new phone. I deliberately chose a cheaper phone than my family a few years back as I carry the cameras and felt I didn't need the best phone camera on the planet. But the weight restrictions on these small flights is a constant battle/concern as after paying for a safari one wants to know one has the best gear available to take advantage of all the opportunities that arise and one always has to leave gear behind that one would rather have on the trip. I have done 3 Botswana safaris in the last 2 years and another one coming up soon, I STILL don't feel I have the situation under control regarding what gear to take. There is always a gap...
Yeah…an iPhone obviously isn’t a ‘real‘ camera…but at 48MP as long as you use 1x RAW…it’s pretty darned good and there’s no lens swap involved.

Yeah…an iPhone obviously isn’t a ‘real‘ camera…but at 48MP as long as you use 1x RAW…it’s pretty darned good and there’s no lens swap involved.
Yes agreed, but thinking at 48MP RAW it would do nicely for landscapes which present while the cameras remain available with right lenses on them for any wildlife that pops up,

Back