Best gear to take to Botswana with 20kg total weight restriction

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nice to have problems like that :giggle:
When I am in the Kgalagdi (next to Botswana) I use the 200-500 (on a cropped body) at least 80% of the time, 70-200 and 24-70 on FX 20% of the time
The 800 is excellent for birds, and there are plenty. But you will be seeing bigger animals - a lot ....
I could quite comfortably go on a safari with JUST the 200-500. Seriously.
Agree i am happy as with mine

I flew with both the South African domestic airlines on fairly modern aircraft. So this was not an issue. In Kenya I only use Safari Link for my flights from Wilson Airport to the camps I visit -- I normally buy a freight seat to ensure I have no issues.
I have not flown on other very small aircraft, but usually one can manage this in advance buy buying extra luggage allowance or a freight seat or buying/paying for the excess when they weigh all your bags/carry ons etc.. like Safari Link do.

Many many folk fly with heavy gear to Botswana -- so there are well tried/used routes to follow. I was carrying D5, D810 and D500, plus 600/4, 200-500, 70-200 and 24-70 plus TC's lots of storage and a wonderful double headed gimbal that fitted to my seat on the boat.
If you are concerned I would contact your operator or the airlines you are worried about. This is how I discovered about pre-booking freight seats.
May I ask who are you travelling with on the Chobe -- Pangolin? IF so say hello to Guts and the team.
Hi Andy,
I'm not joining a photo safari group per se but going as a regular guest on safari. So no, not going with Pangolin, had a rather negative response from them when I wanted to join them with my Australian photography group last year. However I have a great travel agent who organised my group of friends among whom were an equal number of photographers and non-photographers, to get us on our own vehicle for the entire stay. At the last minute my hubby and I had to bail as we tested positive for Covid but our remaining group went ahead with their own vehicle anyhow and when we two re-booked and went a month later, we had the same deal even though there were only 2 of us. So where there is will there is a way to get great photo opportunities, also had fantastic guides who knew how and where to stop and reposition and so on. And in the end we recommended so many people to use the same agent and the same camps that we have been given another great deal going ahead this coming April (2 weeks time exactly). Hence my query about gear as my collection has increased since last visit and I need to figure what is best to take based on what I know from previous 2 visits by air. Historically have been south to Botswana's Tuli Block many times over the years but that was before I was taking photography more seriously. Many thanks for the tip on the freight seat. I'm not sure I'd be able to organise that as we also have a package price with the safari company which reduces the normal cost of the flights from South Africa a little. However the internal small planes are also owned by the same holding company as the safari camps I believe and it's called Safari Air. So they make all the rules as they travel to and from their camps dropping off and picking up their guests. I'll definitely make inquiries on Monday about the possibility of increased weight for gear though and see what they come up with. One time only the 2 of us were flown from Chobe south to Moremi on a 4 seater, other times its a 12-seater, it depends on the schedule for the day as to who they have to get to and from which camp etc. So it's only soft bags for luggage and I can see why the weight is a big issue for them. I tend to carry my own gear backpack and keep it on my lap during the flight no matter how cramped it is, as it's the only way I can relax and know my gear is safe. Thanks again.

The wildlife on these trips are closer than you would expect.
Take a long lens but you will probably find yourself using the 70-200 most and even the 24-70 more than a long lens.
Most of the tours cater for people even taking photos with smartphones which means pretty close ... 🦘
Thanks Roy, but close hasn't been my experience the majority of the time. Of course there have been close encounters and also I do like to fit in some landscape shots when they present, but I agree 70-200 is often good. However for more distant game and definitely for birds the long lens is a must for me. I try to keep the 'most often used' on 2 bodies as changing lenses in these windy and dusty environments is a last resort. 3 bodies is too much to carry on these little transports too - that would be quite idyllic, even if only on my little Z5..

Every time I am on a safari, I take one body camera attached to the longest telephoto which is a 600mm TC, and the other body is attached to a zoom, the 70-200 mm f2.8 to which I can add a 1.4 TC if needed. This combination cover my most photography in the field and I don’t need to change lenses in dusty areas. I also carry in my bag a wide angle and a macro and to be honest I hardly use them.
I am going to Tanzania in November and if the Z 200-600 mm is announced and delivered to me then i will added it to my bag.
I keep a journal for every trip I take for wildlife photography, in which I detail what gear I used the most and the one not used as well what was missing. This way help me to be better prepare for the next trip.
I love the idea of the journal keeping track of which lenses were best for the trip. A Z200-600 zoom would be an amazing addition to the collection for wildlife. I'm going to have to decide on the 150-600 sigma with adapter or the Z70-200 plus 2X TC as my middle range as I'm definitely going to take the Z24-70 and the Z800pf. The 800mm will be attached to the Z9 permanently methinks. My trusty Z6 which have served me so well will be the bearer of the choice I make for the middle range and the 24-70 will go alone into the bag. All these conversations have helped me clarify my thoughts...

If you travel with Pangolin I guess the kit is supplied on the boat, but for the rest my experience was I didn't need the tripod unless you want to stand outside nights and capture star trails or Milky Way as of course the skies are magnificent. I just found its too dangerous to be out after dark as many wild animals still get in to the camps, along with the resident snakes, spiders, scorpions etc But a bean bag of sorts (lightweight?) is ideal for resting on vehicle roll bars, sills, one's knees when pulled up to balance a long lens - you get the drift.. My experience from Chobe into the Delta has only been on Safari Air as I mentioned in one of my responses (@Andy) which is limited to 20kg total including luggage outside the gear bag. I don't know how you'll fly to Kgalagadi (Kalahari) as I have been there by road and not included in the same trip as Botswana. I guess it'll depend on the airline you are using. The regular national airlines are no problem, plenty of luggage allowance for this kind of holiday as you get the 20kg check-in luggage plus carry-on of at least 7 kg, sometimes 10kg. It's just the little flights in-between and they don't always check weight, but what if they do and you are over the limit...I'm not sure what the outcome would be. I don't know that its a matter of paying extra, I think its just a safety issue of not overloading the plane so on the day the plane may be full (or not) and that may make the difference between them checking weights or not. I don't want to risk the possible outcome of them putting your luggage on another flight the next day or whatever...

I just got back from Australia/New Zealand and used a TT Backlight 26L backpack. I had a Z9, Z6 II, 24-70 f4, 500 f5.6 pf and a 100-400 f4.5-5.6. Also had a 17 inch Dell Laptop in it. Had the weight around 14 kg. If I was going to Africa, I would think that those lens would cover most of the needs.
Thanks for this. Pretty much close to my gear in terms of weight I think. Same bodies, similar lenses in weight. I'm going to try out a new bigger backpack a bit later and see how the weight comes out....

I love the idea of the journal keeping track of which lenses were best for the trip. A Z200-600 zoom would be an amazing addition to the collection for wildlife. I'm going to have to decide on the 150-600 sigma with adapter or the Z70-200 plus 2X TC as my middle range as I'm definitely going to take the Z24-70 and the Z800pf. The 800mm will be attached to the Z9 permanently methinks. My trusty Z6 which have served me so well will be the bearer of the choice I make for the middle range and the 24-70 will go alone into the bag. All these conversations have helped me clarify my thoughts...
I don’t keep a journal but I do extensive analyses after every trip of lenses used, ISOs, etc. to inform future trips. This is very easy to do using the camera and exposure data in Lightroom. In a glance one can see how many shots were taken with each lens at each focal length, ISO, SS, etc., either for the entire trip or by a single day. Really helps make informed lens choices. I’m sure other software allow the same.

You probably know this but just thought I would mention in case some folks don’t.

My standard all round kit is 14-24, 24-70- 70-200, 200-500, 300 2.8 VR II, Tc 1.4III TCx2III everything is always covered, I rent as only needed 600 F4.

If traveling to Africa it has a lot to do with whom, where, and what.

If its unknown and i needed to go light, its

70-200FL, 200 500, TC 1.4III, 1x D850 with Grip, 1 x light mono pod with the new tiny Wemberly mono pod head, why take the D850, i know its reliable with incredibly long battery life, also, i can give it to my girlfriend and she can use it with confidence and ease, i would use the D850 in Full frame and optionally switch to DX if ever warranted. I mean 9 FPS is often plenty enough..........

I would keep a 24mm prime in my jacket that's all.
In my luggage i would leave a spare DSLR camera
If it wasn't the D850 it would be a D6.

This may all change if its a known set location and subject.............where i would as always take my favorite a 600 f4 FL 70-200FL on a D6 and D850

I would leave my Z9 at home.

Only an opinion

My advice would be to leave the 800mm at home. I think it is likely to be 'too much' lens in many situations and the Z9 gives so much scope to crop if you are photographing animals that are a good way off. I just used my Z9 and 100-400 with 1.4 Tc on my last trip to Africa and was very happy.
It's nice to know that you're happy with your gear for the trip to Africa. I am planning to take the same along with Z24-70 f/4 for our trip to Kenya in June. What I am debating about is the second camera. I have a Z6ii and Fuji XT4. I am leaning toward the Fuji because I do have Fuji XF 16mm f/1.4, 18-135, and 70-300. Fuji 16mm is a good lens for astrophotography which I would like to try. But if for some reason, Z9 stops working, then I have 300mm (on a DX Fuji, it'll be 450) as the longest reach. I would appreciate your thought. Thanks.

It's nice to know that you're happy with your gear for the trip to Africa. I am planning to take the same along with Z24-70 f/4 for our trip to Kenya in June. What I am debating about is the second camera. I have a Z6ii and Fuji XT4. I am leaning toward the Fuji because I do have Fuji XF 16mm f/1.4, 18-135, and 70-300. Fuji 16mm is a good lens for astrophotography which I would like to try. But if for some reason, Z9 stops working, then I have 300mm (on a DX Fuji, it'll be 450) as the longest reach. I would appreciate your thought. Thanks.
Your comment "But if for some reason, Z9 stops working" not unrealistic..........

I think my Z9 has caught Covid....or suffering from long Covid

Be it the case or not if its $15,000 for a long trip, you know you don't want issues, particularly moodiness of a camera, hence the D850 or a D6 is my choice, its also why i haven't splashed on Z glass for good reason. Yes there are thousands of z9 units out there and are all happy little vegimites, but if you happen to have one that is unpredictable or moody and needs the battery removed every time it hick ups......it really has an effect on your trust or confidence level.

I mean if it was a para shoot you would jump would you?

I used my Z9 last week to cover a very important sports event, i had to pull out the D850 with the grip as i didn't hire the D6 thinking all was sort of fine with the Z9.

There were issues with long lag pulling the camera out of sleep mode, at times it took for ever, it was quicker to turn it off then on again, then you could review images, then it was impossible to review images, then in a burst of frames the first 3 or 4 images out of the sequence were just missing leaving a blank screen.

I have never experienced soft images at 1/4000ss, i am very well known for tack sharp images, to me there is simply a logic issue developing, i even changed lenses and that didn't have an effect, amazingly i have 2 years full Nikon warranty, if it was one year i would be ticked off.

I am taking it to Nikon this week, its still on the update prior to the 3.1.

The issue has only suddenly changed/escalated, its been slightly moody normally but now its a *****.

Its a December 24 2021 model.

I have top class cards.

Personally I prefer to have back up using the same system if possible - I also took my Z6ii and 24-70 lens knowing that if there was an issue with the Z9 I could use the Z6ii. In your case I would consider taking a lens compatible with the Z system for astrophotography.

Personally I prefer to have back up using the same system if possible - I also took my Z6ii and 24-70 lens knowing that if there was an issue with the Z9 I could use the Z6ii. In your case I would consider taking a lens compatible with the Z system for astrophotography.
Thank you. The other option I'm thinking is to get the Nikkor Z 17-28mm f/2.8. I still have the AFS 70-300; I can take that with me. That way I can take both Z9 and Z6ii along with Z 100-400, Z 24-70, Z 17-28, and AFS 70-300. I think this would possibly take care of most situations. Now, I just have to convince my wife to give me CAD 1600 for the 17-28mm!! ;)

Thank you. The other option I'm thinking is to get the Nikkor Z 17-28mm f/2.8. I still have the AFS 70-300; I can take that with me. That way I can take both Z9 and Z6ii along with Z 100-400, Z 24-70, Z 17-28, and AFS 70-300. I think this would possibly take care of most situations. Now, I just have to convince my wife to give me CAD 1600 for the 17-28mm!! ;)
I would leave the 70-300 at home. I never change lenses on a game drive due to dust (and dropping something in the vehicle). I would take the Z9 and 100-400 (+/- 1.4 TC) and the Z6ii with the 24-70 for landscapes / environmental shots on drives. I’d put the 17-28 on one of the bodies in the evening.

Your comment "But if for some reason, Z9 stops working" not unrealistic..........

I think my Z9 has caught Covid....or suffering from long Covid

Be it the case or not if its $15,000 for a long trip, you know you don't want issues, particularly moodiness of a camera, hence the D850 or a D6 is my choice, its also why i haven't splashed on Z glass for good reason. Yes there are thousands of z9 units out there and are all happy little vegimites, but if you happen to have one that is unpredictable or moody and needs the battery removed every time it hick ups......it really has an effect on your trust or confidence level.

I mean if it was a para shoot you would jump would you?

I used my Z9 last week to cover a very important sports event, i had to pull out the D850 with the grip as i didn't hire the D6 thinking all was sort of fine with the Z9.

There were issues with long lag pulling the camera out of sleep mode, at times it took for ever, it was quicker to turn it off then on again, then you could review images, then it was impossible to review images, then in a burst of frames the first 3 or 4 images out of the sequence were just missing leaving a blank screen.

I have never experienced soft images at 1/4000ss, i am very well known for tack sharp images, to me there is simply a logic issue developing, i even changed lenses and that didn't have an effect, amazingly i have 2 years full Nikon warranty, if it was one year i would be ticked off.

I am taking it to Nikon this week, its still on the update prior to the 3.1.

The issue has only suddenly changed/escalated, its been slightly moody normally but now its a *****.

Its a December 24 2021 model.

I have top class cards.
Got my Z9 back from Nikon today now with 3.10 on it, i can tell a difference but need to use it for a few days, the first and most annoying issue being the long lag in waking up from sleep mode is gone, fixed it seems, pew thank you.

Their brilliant service and support is one of the reasons i stay with them.

I would leave the 70-300 at home. I never change lenses on a game drive due to dust (and dropping something in the vehicle). I would take the Z9 and 100-400 (+/- 1.4 TC) and the Z6ii with the 24-70 for landscapes / environmental shots on drives. I’d put the 17-28 on one of the bodies in the evening.
I am thinking about the 70-300 in case something goes wrong with the Z 100-400. Most likely nothing will happen; it's a brand new lens and I have been using it to get used to it. But if it did, I'll be left with the 24-70 and that scares me!

I am thinking about the 70-300 in case something goes wrong with the Z 100-400. Most likely nothing will happen; it's a brand new lens and I have been using it to get used to it. But if it did, I'll be left with the 24-70 and that scares me!
Club members say the100-400 would work well on the Z9 it has excelnt VR, and focuses bang on, it would also be good on the Z6II, the 70-300 is a good back up.
Have you got a 200-500 ??

Club members say the100-400 would work well on the Z9 it has excelnt VR, and focuses bang on, it would also be good on the Z6II, the 70-300 is a good back up.
Have you got a 200-500 ??
Yes, I do. That has been my birding lens for last three years and I love it on Z9. But its size and weight is the reason I bought Z 100-400 plus the TC 1.4X. In case you're suggesting that I carry both, that might be a little too heavy for the trip. Thanks.

Hi everyone, first post here, so excuse me jumping into this very interesting thread.

I'll be going to Kenya (Kicheche Mara & Valley) next week and I'm having doubts about what to bring... last December/January my wife and I were in the Chobe (Pangolin) and I took the 180/400 on the Z9 and the 500PF on a D6 (plus a 24-120 on another D6). I did most every shooting with the zoom, but at times I was longing for more reach, specially for the (smaller) birds from the boat.

The equipment since then grew to 2x Z9 and the Z800, so my plan is taking one Z9 + Z800 and the other Z9 + 180/400, then a D6 + 24-120.

But, I'm travelling alone this time, so carrying everything might be a bit of a challenge... and, I can't stop thinking about how bulky it'll be to deal with it all during the game drives...

I'll have to travel with the Lowepro Runner AW450 in my back + the Z800 on its own bag with the Z9 attached to it... or, should I just try to make it with the 180/400?

Some ppl says that 800mm might be too much, others that it's a must... I read carefully what @Andy Miller Photo UK said here about the 600+TC14 so I'm thinking the 800 should be my choice... otoh, the bulk of all the equipment sets me a bit back... Idk, I guess I'll make my mind once I start packing everything and realize how much it weighs...?

Sorry for the brick folks, and greetings everybody from Spain.

Marcelo

Hi everyone, first post here, so excuse me jumping into this very interesting thread.

I'll be going to Kenya (Kicheche Mara & Valley) next week and I'm having doubts about what to bring... last December/January my wife and I were in the Chobe (Pangolin) and I took the 180/400 on the Z9 and the 500PF on a D6 (plus a 24-120 on another D6). I did most every shooting with the zoom, but at times I was longing for more reach, specially for the (smaller) birds from the boat.

The equipment since then grew to 2x Z9 and the Z800, so my plan is taking one Z9 + Z800 and the other Z9 + 180/400, then a D6 + 24-120.

But, I'm travelling alone this time, so carrying everything might be a bit of a challenge... and, I can't stop thinking about how bulky it'll be to deal with it all during the game drives...

I'll have to travel with the Lowepro Runner AW450 in my back + the Z800 on its own bag with the Z9 attached to it... or, should I just try to make it with the 180/400?

Some ppl says that 800mm might be too much, others that it's a must... I read carefully what @Andy Miller Photo UK said here about the 600+TC14 so I'm thinking the 800 should be my choice... otoh, the bulk of all the equipment sets me a bit back... Idk, I guess I'll make my mind once I start packing everything and realize how much it weighs...?

Marcelo
Hi, welcome to BCG.

Certainly, your photography will be more than adequately covered with the above system. I use a similar destination setup (Z9, D6, gripped D850 and 70-200 f2.8E), although I find often need the ZTC14 on the 800 PF. The 180-400 TC and 800 PF, and at least 2 cameras fits fine in my fStop Tilopa - the new model is much improved.

This kit fits easily with extra space in the fStop Sukha - using the TeleMaster ICU (no longer made, but Pro XLarge ICU is ideal). I like fStop bags for many reasons, including greater depth in the ICU, rear and top access, modularity and all the room for accessories

If you have airport problems then you can rely on carrying the ICU separately with a decent waistcoat with big pockets to fit a 24-120 and a Z9 etc
If you are allowed to carry a larger pack and the second smaller bag, then the 800 PF bag should be permitted. A versatile alternative is to pair the new GuraGear Chobe with the bigger backpack, as the Chobe packs a great deal of items, including smaller lenses and a camera.

Last edited:
Marcelo

Hi -- it all depends on what you are going to shoot -- me it is Big Cats first. Birds are way down the list. Other folk Birds are top etc..
-- and how are you going to travel from Nairobi to the parks/reserves -- me I fly SafariLink and I buy a freight seat - I put my cameras in the cabin - SafariLink will sell you a freight seat at check in if you have too much gear. I only use SafariLink. If you are travelling by vehicle well there should be no limits.

NO - take both the Z9+800 and the Z9 +180-400 plus FTZii. I would not bring the D6 myself. But yes also take the 24-120 -- if this is a Z-mount? I is nice to take shots of the camp and travel shots generally. I seek to NOT change lenses in the field on a game drive.

Now as to your flight to Nairobi -- well it is up to you -- I would think again about carrying the 800 in its bag -- can you find a bag for both the 800, 180-400 and two Z9 bodies. Generally you are only allowed one bag and a laptop bag - both have to fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of you.

I carried-on a Gura-Gear Bataflae 32L and a laptop bag -- the Bataflae is not longer made and the 30L successor will struggle with the 600. You have to work out what will fit in the overhead locker on your international flight. Carry On essential gear and batteries -- for me that was 2 Z9 bodies; 400/TC, 600/TC, batteries, 99 Wh power bank, spare cards, laptop, ipad, iphone power for on the flight and all was good. Make sure your spare batteries have covers over the terminals and are in a pouch/separate compartments. Since my Gura-Gear was heavy and I am OLD - I used a little collapsible luggage trolly.

It helps to buy a seat towards the front of the aircraft when flying internationally -- one tends not to have to fight so much about what one carries and where to put it -- but we all have to make trade offs.

As for when you are out in the vehicle, it's harder to say, as I do self drives with gear on front passenger seat (3 rigged cameras to avoid lens changes) - summarized my tactics here

However, it will be a good plan if possible to have the pack in front of you, in the footwell, holding the Z9+800 PF and D6. This is where a pack with top lid access is a big help so you can keep the bag vertical. Keep the 180-400 TC to hand across your legs (never let it sit free to be knocked off the seat!) A kikoi over gear helps to keep off dust between shooting.

Thank you all for the kind and informative replies, sorry for the delay replying myself, didn't quite get the time to do so yesterday.

Hi, welcome to BCG.

Certainly, your photography will be more than adequately covered with the above system. I use a similar destination setup (Z9, D6, gripped D850 and 70-200 f2.8E), although I find often need the ZTC14 on the 800 PF. The 180-400 TC and 800 PF, and at least 2 cameras fits fine in my fStop Tilopa - the new model is much improved.

I've considered the Vanguard Alta Sky 68 to fit everything but unfortunately it's been out of stock here for a while, and now that it became available again, it's too late for me to get it in time for my departure... oh well..That one would have been my first choice tbh...

Carrying the gear on the long haul flight won't be a problem, KLM allows 2 hand baggages and up to 17kg combined (flying clipper class).
Hi -- it all depends on what you are going to shoot -- me it is Big Cats first. Birds are way down the list. Other folk Birds are top etc..
-- and how are you going to travel from Nairobi to the parks/reserves -- me I fly SafariLink and I buy a freight seat - I put my cameras in the cabin - SafariLink will sell you a freight seat at check in if you have too much gear. I only use SafariLink. If you are travelling by vehicle well there should be no limits.

NO - take both the Z9+800 and the Z9 +180-400 plus FTZii. I would not bring the D6 myself. But yes also take the 24-120 -- if this is a Z-mount? I is nice to take shots of the camp and travel shots generally. I seek to NOT change lenses in the field on a game drive.

TBH, I'm more into birds than big cats, however, who dares to say "nay" to shotting anything remotely alike to what you have in your Flickr?? Not me!

My link from Wilson to Kicheche is via SafariLink, but I don't mind for such a short flight (and most likely hand delivering at the plane) to have my backpack in the luggage compartment if needed (unless I'm being hit with excess of weight and it pays off buying a freight seat as you suggested, of course).

My plan is bringing both Z9, each attached to its tele (Z800 and 180/400), unfortunately, the 24-120 is an F mount, and tbh, I'd rather bring a D6 not only because of the mount, but also as a spare body just in case... I never change lenses while on the field either, that's why I'm not a big fan of external TC's...

As for when you are out in the vehicle, it's harder to say, as I do self drives with gear on front passenger seat (3 rigged cameras to avoid lens changes) - summarized my tactics here

However, it will be a good plan if possible to have the pack in front of you, in the footwell, holding the Z9+800 PF and D6. This is where a pack with top lid access is a big help so you can keep the bag vertical. Keep the 180-400 TC to hand across your legs (never let it sit free to be knocked off the seat!) A kikoi over gear helps to keep off dust between shooting.

I'm considering hiring for at least 2 outings a solo game drive (a bit costly but it may pay off)...

My first trip to Africa was to Namibia, but I had a car for myself with a guide, so wether it was driving around Etosha in a closed 4x4, where I had all the back seat for myself, or game drives on open vehicles, space was not a problem since it was only me (and my daughter), plenty of space.

Pangolin drives or boat tours were also spacious, plenty of room at the boat to have gear lying around, but this time in Kicheche I'll be perhaps sharing with up to 3 more people (4 pax max per car). I hope I won't be on their way with my gear...that's a bit of a concern to me, I don't like to be disturbed, nor I like to disturb others.

While on game drives (or in a boat) I don't carry the backpack with me, just the lenses+bodies, free, placed on the floor, and a waist/belt bag for extra batteries and memory cards.

My main concern is/was the focal needed in those drives: wether 800mm was overkill or not, should I bring the 600/4 FL instead of the Z800... should I just go with the 180/400 on its own... I guess I won't decide until the last second.

Thanks again Andy & Fenton for the time and advice. I'll keep reading the info you both shared in BCG!

All the best, Marcelo

So I just did the weight calculation on the gear I would take if I were going to Africa. I would probably leave my 400 f/4.5 and 17-28 f2.8 home. However, if I used my MindShift Backlight 36L to hold a Z9, Z8, 800PF, 100-400Z, 24-105, and Z1.4x, I'd be at 20.5 lb or about 10Kg. This is without laptop, batteries, and filters. This is plenty of wildlife capable gear that could easily fit in an overhead bin on most planes

If you are limited to 20Kg of gear, that is quite a lot. If you are limited to a total of 20Kg... well, you can pack a lot of clothing into 8-9Kg if you are not worried about cold weather (which you won't be in Botswana).

The wildlife on these trips are closer than you would expect.
Take a long lens but you will probably find yourself using the 70-200 most and even the 24-70 more than a long lens.
Most of the tours cater for people even taking photos with smartphones which means pretty close ... 🦘
That depends.

Many members here take tours in Africa dedicated to photography. The vehicles are NOT filled with tourists with cell phones. In fact, we avoid such tours. And the tour leaders and drivers are dedicated not only to finding photo ops, but to keep a reasonable distance away from the animals so as to not stress them or change their natural behavior. While the animals may of its own will get closer, most of the photo ops require 500mm and more to fill the frame.

Back