Best gear to take to Botswana with 20kg total weight restriction

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recently acquired the Z180-600, so I think on my upcoming trip I'l take that and my Z24-70 and Z70 -200mm. 2 bodies. That leaves out the wide angle which is a nice-to-have for when beautiful Baobab trees come into view from the vehicle quite close up, or the minuscule little frogs living on reeds in the water require a macro lens. Also I bought the 800PF especially for these trips and absolutely love it but found that it's another bag to carry. This gear alone is already about 20kg - I can hardly pick up my back pack and the 800PF has its own bag. I'm hoping my hubby will carry the 800PF for me as part of his luggage but even so, it leaves very little room for jackets for cooler nights etc. I have tried my TC with the 180-200 once and thought the results were awful but then I have the 2.0 TC which was clearly a mistake..
I use my iPhone for wide angle photography. That is why I splurged on a 15 pro max

I've been to Africa 17 times and preparing for 18th.. I'd like to share my thoughts and what I noticed during those rips.

In the small planes rather the size is important than the weight. I even don't remember if they ever checked the weight in Botswana .... South African Airlink checked once and we paid for the over-weight. The size could be a problem but I think, they can always send your additional luggage with a next plane.

I've ben to a few photographic safaris with South Arican photographers (Wim van den Hiever, Brendon Cremer, ec..) and they had two bodies with two lenses: 400/2.8 and 70-200/2..8. Sometimes wideangle lens. Not more.
The problem is that if you have three bodies and many lenses then it is
1.) difficult to put it in the game-drive vehicle
2.) difficult to quickly get them out and start to shoot (without dropping something from your bag or the whole bag)
3.) difficult to decide quickly what camera+lens to choose for a particular scene!

So, you really need to think over what you want to shoot in that particular location you stay in. Are there nice landscapes? Do you like to shoot landscapes? Is there a hide? Will you shoot nightscapes? Will you shoot birds? Is it a private game reserve or National Park?
1. If it is a National Park then you need 800mm or 600mm because your guide will not go off-road. You take your pictures when the light is OK., don't need fast lens perhaps. The Park will close when it will be dark.
2. If it is a private game reserve you will make night drives and you will need perhaps a flash and fast lens. You don't need long lens if you don't shoot birds. In private game reserves the guides come close to animals and with long prime you can have a problem especially if in your game-drive vehicle all other guests using smartphones ;-) you will need to persuade them all to drive away from the animal so that you can take a shot.
3. It is important if it is a photographic safaris or not. If yes then the guests will have long lenses, if not then probably they will have universal zooms, consumer lenses and even smartphones ;-) They will want to drive closer to the animal.
4. If you have less gear - you have more creativity and freedom. You are doing the best from what you have and use your gear in a very productive way. You will not miss your shot. The light gear has an advantage!

I noticed that I definitely need at least one fast lens like 70-200/2.8 for twilight and low light scenes, for bigger animals and if there is some action (lions huning buffalos) and you need to take a whole scene (with 500-600mm it will be difficult to keep running cheetah in the frame! but I don't say it is impossible ;-)

Keep also in mind that you can shoot video when the light is gone. For video you need to follow 180-shutter rule. That means you shoot 1/60sec by 30frames per second. and if stills will be unsharp by that shutter speed the video footage will bear all that unsharpness.
5. So, if it is dark - switch to video.

I recommend to shoot more video on safari. in general Especially the moments in the camp, your coffee breaks and sundowners, your travel companions, your guides, etc You will be happy to have a look at it later and refresh your memories. If you have iPhone 15 max pro or other phone take it always with you, even to the toilet! Becasue you never know what is waiting for you there. Never go for lunch, dinner, breakfast without your camera or phone. It is a rule. Don't break it. I did and I regretted it a LOT. Twice I missed a leopard when driving in the car and my cameras were in the backpack! The time I got the gear out the leopard was gone! Once during the breakfast the pride of 14 lions came, during the dinner elephants, hyenas, lions... So, believe me, follow that rule!

You can get a lot of useful information on safaritalk.net Forum about safaris and last news.
For example, for me, as self-driver, it was importnat to know that Ethiopian Airlines flying directly to Maun starting from June 2024. So, I don't need to have a connection flight anymore when travelling to Botswana and can take over my vehicle directly in Maun. Alerady bought a ticket :) Cloud Nine Restricted return-ticket is 2334€ (kind of busines) from Europe and I can take 64kg of luggage and 16kg of hand-luggage 😀 I think, it is a good price for an almost direct flight! You can buy it for Star-Allianz miles as well. So, highly recommended.
Sometimes, we combine self-driving and flying into Delta and in this case we let our luggage in the Tour Operator Offcie in the Maun airport.

Right now, I’m looking at Eagle Creek rolling duffle bags, which should squash down well in the baggage pod below the Cessna Caravan or other types of small planes going to the Kalahari from Chobe on Pangolin’s safari. The wheels are almost buried in the body of the duffle, so I don’t think that will be a problem. It also doesn’t have a frame, like some Samsonite duffles I’ve seen, which I’ve read can be a problem for some pilots to get past. I’d appreciate hearing whether duffles are a good idea and other folks’ experiences with getting bags into those baggage pods below the small planes.
We have had duffles with wheels and no internal structure and a cloth "handle". Yes the bag is light (only 3-4 pounds vs closer to 10 pounds for a rolling duffle with a rigid back and handle) but I find it hard roll around. Flops alot, not stable when I roll it over uneven surfaces. If you will have an airport style luggage cart of the time, then it is fine. If you need to roll it long distances I found it does not work well.

We have had duffles with wheels and no internal structure and a cloth "handle". Yes the bag is light (only 3-4 pounds vs closer to 10 pounds for a rolling duffle with a rigid back and handle) but I find it hard roll around. Flops alot, not stable when I roll it over uneven surfaces. If you will have an airport style luggage cart of the time, then it is fine. If you need to roll it long distances I found it does not work well.
Rich, thanks. I see that you're having some rough weather in Chicago. As for soft duffles vs. those with hard frames and a pull-out luggage-style handle, I understand that the small aircraft pilots frown on those with hard frames. Is that everyone's experience, too? If one can use that type, that would be easier to maneuver, I'm sure.

Rich, thanks. I see that you're having some rough weather in Chicago. As for soft duffles vs. those with hard frames and a pull-out luggage-style handle, I understand that the small aircraft pilots frown on those with hard frames. Is that everyone's experience, too? If one can use that type, that would be easier to maneuver, I'm sure.
not talking about hard sided suitcases. Just rolling duffles with stiff back side and a real handle

John I live in South Africa, use Airlink for these cross-border flights into Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia. It's not what you can carry on Airlink that is the trouble, it's the inter-camp flights on the safari. They are anything from 4 seaters to 12 seaters depending on the day and who has to be moved from where to where, but they are super strict about your 20kg limit in total, clothes, toiletries and gear. That is a major problem for all of us.
For intercom flights I was able to buy an extra seat and can bring 30 kg of luggage on the trip. For me the biggest issue is Airlinks.

An interesting read for sure especially if I understand that most of you guys & gals are crossing the pond ( the one possible exception being @ElenaH in Austria)

We are going later in 2024 with Pangolin my OH will (as needed use their loan equipment) but I, having switched from Canon in 2016, be using my Olympus/OM System kit. I sold off a couple of little used bodies (E-M1X & E-M1 mk3) as my primary camera is now the OM1.

My intention is to get the OM1 mk2 and I intend to use my 40-150mm f2.8 with the x2 TC & my 300mm F4 with the x1.4 TC. I have emailed Lowepro for their advice re: the Flip side 400AW III and whether it will take such a two body setup with those lenses attached? NB I have been using the Flip side 300AW for some years but only with a single body!

For wideangle & general photography I have my Tough TG-6 which IMO is very good as a general usage camera......to reduce bulk and not have to take my 12-40mm f2.8 ??

I wish all who are due to travel to Africa soon safe travels and wonderful safaris......whichever country you are visiting:)

PS and all being well see your imagery posted hereabouts @ BCGforums .

As for checked baggage we both usually travel with hard sided cases, robust and take poor handling! We are flying BA from Heathrow (777 outbound & A380 homebound) to Jo'burg & back so no issues there and as far as I can tell the AirLink flights to Kasane and back with such hard cases checked are not a problem (I will measure it/them to check no exceptions being flagged).

Other UK photographers I know who have done the same have used bigger carryons than the aforementioned 400AW, found they could fit their gear in the AirLink overhead lockers.

Back