Best second nikon body and lens for wildlife photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've sent you a link to my galleries taken in Africa. Take a look. The vistas are so huge, you can get a scenic with a 100mm lens. LOL! And remember, you can always take 2 or 3 or more images side by side using a 100mm lens and create a pano .

Taken at 110mm and cropped
_8502994_pano-X2.jpg
Nice! Its a good approach with the pano
the question was rather what you do if a animal show up very close to you with your minimal focal point at 100mm?
i couldn’t find your link for the africa gallery…

Thanks Anjin

I have purchased now the 400 f4.5 and a tc 1.4. Decided to pack also light so I just want to take one more lens with me.

As options there in my view:

- z70-200 f2.8 (quite heavy)
- z70-180 f2.8 (Quite light)
- tamron 35-150 f2-f2.8 (not a native lens but a very interesting focal range coverage)

Do you guys have any recommendations?
after that I promise you to stop asking further questions regarding lenses 😅

thanks!
Hard to say. I have the Z 70-200 mm, which I bought before the Z 70-180 came out. I have not used either the Z 70-180 mm or the Tamron 35-150 mm.

If you only want one additional lens, that might suggest the Tamron, as you could go to 35 mm on the wider end. Of course, it weighs 41 ounces — about the same weight as the Z 400 f4.5. Thom Hogan used this lens on our Botswana trip (and other trips) as his second lens and likes it a lot; he paired it with the Z 400 mm TC. Several other participants on my trip also used it. As far as I recall and could tell, they liked it.

I did not take my Z 70-200 to Botswana, as I had the Z 100-400 along and brought the Z 24-120 for wider focal lengths. My primary lens was the Z 400 mm TC — big and heavy, so not for everyone. The Z 70-200 is a very good lens. But it is not light. 48 ounces. I tend to take it now, over the Z 100-400, if I want f2.8 or am doing a lot of landscape work.

The Z 70-180 is the lightest (28 ounces) and focuses more closely than the other two, which can be nice. It gives you f2.8 for low light and subject isolation. On the wide end, you’d only have 70 mm. If your subject is wider and not moving, you could take multiple shots and stitch them. Or use your phone. While I’m not 100% sure, I think it will accept the Z mount TCs. This lens was also used on our trip; again I think those that had it liked it. A friend of mine is using this on a trip to Tanzania and Kenya now; he’s pared it with the Z 180-600 (not a light lens); his partner will use the Z 400 f4.5.

If you want a light kit and are picking from these lenses, I’d probably rule out the Z 70-200 (unless you already own it) on size and weight grounds. (If it were a landscape trip, I’d choose the Z 70-200.) Either of the other two lenses seem a reasonable choice. If you go with the Z 70-180, give some thought to what you might do on those occasions when you want something wider than 70 mm.

Good luck. Any kit you pick has some compromises. Botswana is amazing. I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

Nice! Its a good approach with the pano
the question was rather what you do if a animal show up very close to you with your minimal focal point at 100mm?
i couldn’t find your link for the africa gallery…
Look at your Private Messages.....PM's. Look in the upper right hand corner right after your avatar.....use the envelope icon.....

It is highly unlikely a wild subject will be closer than 100mm.....

This lion walked within touching distance alongside our vehicle....shot at 500mm - full frame...... I don't understand what you are so worried about.... Any closer and he would have been inside the vehicle! LOL!
_KD56963-X2.jpg

Pick two lenses to cover 100 to 600mm in focal length. Done. It really is that simple. I and many others choose the 100-400 and a 600mm. Some choose the 180-600 instead of the 600mm. Some choose the 70-200 f2.8 plus tele instead of the 100-400. Those combos all work. Just make a decision and enjoy the trip!

Back