Big Prime - Camera Bags & Backpacks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

starting to pack for my first wildlife centric trip this year, 10 days out in Yellowstone/Tetons.

the Nya XL ICU will fit 2x Z9 + 300GM + 600TC pretty comfortably. could probably also pack one or more smaller lenses (24-120, 35-150, etc.) in there as well.

now I just have to decide if I want that combo, or to swap the 300GM for the 35-150 + 100-400.

View attachment 98478

View attachment 98479

Is there much wiggle room at the top where the Z9 is attached to the 600 TC, or is it a very tight fit? Thanks. And have a great trip!

Is there much wiggle room at the top where the Z9 is attached to the 600 TC, or is it a very tight fit? Thanks. And have a great trip!

in my opinion - there's a good amount of room. significantly more room than in the Boris IV for example which is a crazy tight fit for the same setup.

if you look closely at the bottom of the pack, you'll see I have an "extra" divider that is essentially doing nothing but adding padding. this was because I didn't see it at first until my girlfriend pointed it out lol. so if you remove that, you'll have even more room

it's hard to tell, but the setup isn't flush to the top with the ICU. the ICU looks like it has some play in it, so you could probably push it out a little bit if you had a longer combo (R5 + RF 600 f4?) or something. I suspect it might even be able to fit Z9 + 600TC + 1.4x TC or 2x TC attached.

20241001_094308.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

20241001_094312.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

in my opinion - there's a good amount of room. significantly more room than in the Boris IV for example which is a crazy tight fit for the same setup.

if you look closely at the bottom of the pack, you'll see I have an "extra" divider that is essentially doing nothing but adding padding. this was because I didn't see it at first until my girlfriend pointed it out lol. so if you remove that, you'll have even more room

it's hard to tell, but the setup isn't flush to the top with the ICU. the ICU looks like it has some play in it, so you could probably push it out a little bit if you had a longer combo (R5 + RF 600 f4?) or something. I suspect it might even be able to fit Z9 + 600TC + 1.4x TC or 2x TC attached.

View attachment 98503

View attachment 98504
Perfect thanks very much, just received my copy of the 600TC, but only have a Z6 for the time being, so this looks spot on!

just returned from my 2 ish week trip to the Tetons/Yellowstone, flying via Southwest

The Nya Evo 60L + XL ICU came in clutch. it's extremely comfortable to carry, easy to access the gear, and overall just a joy. probably the best backpack experience I've ever had

I can't say enough good stuff about it, and think it's as close to perfect as you could go for a big prime bag

just returned from my 2 ish week trip to the Tetons/Yellowstone, flying via Southwest

The Nya Evo 60L + XL ICU came in clutch. it's extremely comfortable to carry, easy to access the gear, and overall just a joy. probably the best backpack experience I've ever had

I can't say enough good stuff about it, and think it's as close to perfect as you could go for a big prime bag
Good to know. Waiting to see if there will be a Black Friday sale on them.

I really want one would probably be perfect but after exchange and duty taxes would almost be 1100$ for a pack, tough pill to swallow haha

Hmm I just returned my the exact setup I wanted to use it with my Z9 with a Nikon Z600/4TC lens attached using Zemlin hood/cap combo
Yes I did fit though when you have the XL ICU installed It was impossible to access it from the back
It could only be accessed from the top

Hmm I just returned my the exact setup I wanted to use it with my Z9 with a Nikon Z600/4TC lens attached using Zemlin hood/cap combo
Yes I did fit though when you have the XL ICU installed It was impossible to access it from the back
That's somewhat expected when carrying the 600 TC with the camera body attached. I think NYA-EVO even illustrate this in their promotional videos. This camera/lens combo extends nearly all the way to the top of the XL RCI, which means that it's well above the top of the zippered opening that provides access to the interior of the backpack/RCI.

Fortunately NYA-EVO provides a zippered access point at the top of their RCI, which allows you to access/remove gear that extends into the upper portion of the RCI (through the top of the Fjord 60-C). This design seems to work well, and allows the XL RCI to be used in the Fjord 60-C without having to make any modifications to the original design.

I find that this access method works just fine with either my Z8 or Z9 mounted to the 600 TC with Zemlin hood. I've also tested it with the OEM hood as well, but I usually use the Zemlin hoods when traveling with this backpack. (y)

Last edited:

this is strange to me, because I exclusively accessed mine from the back for the entire trip. can you explain more about what issue you had that prevented you from accessing it?

edit: here's a video I made showing how I use it, and how easy it is

Last edited:
Back