Binocular 8x42 or 10x42?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I don't know how Amazon works in the UK? Here in the U.S. you can usually get free shipping and free returns. When I was shopping I ordered my top three choices after researching, kept the one I liked best, and returned the others. This may be an option if you can't find a local shop to try them.

You also need to consider conditions under which you will be using them, e.g., low light, damp conditions, heavy-duty trekking, etc.

Nikon Monarch are great for the price. Also check out astronomical binos, from places like Celestron, Oberwerk and Orion. They are often best bang for buck, and provide mostly coma free views to edge of FoV. They do tend to be heavier though. as most are prism based.

If you are viewing in low light (woods, dusk/dawn) consider those with higher pupil exit size of 5-7. This is calculated by dividing the objective diameter by the power. So, 8x42 is 5.25 vs 10x42 at 4.2. The 8x42 are better for lower light. Consider age though. The maximum pupil is generally considered as 7mm. However, as we age, our pupils can't dilate that much, so after 40-50 years, 5mm may be your maximum. So you really are "wasting" the extra light gathered since your eyes aren't as "flexible" as they used to be and can't take in the extra light. So in that case, you may want, say, the 10x magnification vs. 7x (as in 7x50's).

Last edited:
The optics on the Nikon Monarch are a notch up from the Vortex. Like your camera gear, the difference is in difficult situations like low light and backlit subjects. You should see less chromatic aberration with the Nikon ED glass. You may also see differences in fine detail and contrast in low light conditions. Until you take binoculars outside, it's hard to compare.

Someone asked earlier about what the numbers mean. The 8x or 10x refers to the magnification. The second number refers to the diameter of the objective lens - the size of the front which drives the light gathering capability. So a larger second number means it gathers more light, but with that comes larger size and more weight. Like an f/2.8 lens - there are tradeoffs between fast glass and size/weight.

The magnification is relative to what? 8x is eight times what you would see if it was clear glass? Our eyes' normal field of view?

The magnification is relative to what? 8x is eight times what you would see if it was clear glass? Our eyes' normal field of view?
You eyes have a "binocular" FoV of 120* (degrees), yet 8x42 binocs have only a 7-8* (degree)...because the image is magnified (image appears 8x closer than what you eyes see). Here are some key points I came across:

Some handy rules of thumb:​

• Field of view decreases with higher magnification—in the same way you see less through a telescope vs. through binoculars, or through a telephoto lens vs. a wide-angle lens. This is one reason why many birders prefer 8x models over 10x models.
  • Manufacturers state field of view either in degrees (°) or in feet at 1,000 yards. Typical values for birding binoculars are between about 5.5° and 8.5° (that’s 290–470 feet at 1,000 yards). For a bird that’s only 20 feet away, it means you’ll see an image about 2–3 feet across.
  • For every 0.5° increase in field of view, you’ll see about an 8% wider field. So if you’re comparing binoculars with a 6° field of view to a model with 8°, you’ll see 33% wider with the 8° pair. And taking into account height and width of the view, that translates to about 76% more area with the 8° binoculars.
  • A binocular’s stated field of view is a best-case scenario. As your eyes move farther away from the eyepiece (for instance when you twist out the eyecups, or if you wear eyeglasses), you’ll see less field of view. In these cases, it can be extra helpful to have a binocular with a wide field of view.

You also need to consider conditions under which you will be using them, e.g., low light, damp conditions, heavy-duty trekking, etc.

Nikon Monarch are great for the price. Also check out astronomical binos, from places like Celestron, Oberwerk and Orion. They are often best bang for buck, and provide mostly coma free views to edge of FoV. They do tend to be heavier though. as most are prism based.

If you are viewing in low light (woods, dusk/dawn) consider those with higher pupil exit size of 5-7. This is calculated by dividing the objective diameter by the power. So, 8x42 is 5.25 vs 10x42 at 4.2. The 8x42 are better for lower light. Consider age though. The maximum pupil is generally considered as 7mm. However, as we age, our pupils can't dilate that much, so after 40-50 years, 5mm may be your maximum. So you really are "wasting" the extra light gathered since your eyes aren't as "flexible" as they used to be and can't take in the extra light. So in that case, you may want, say, the 10x magnification vs. 7x (as in 7x50's).
wow it's interesting your info. I didn't know . I'm 48 years old and I have retinitis pigmentosa and usher . i lost of field of right an left so I can see in the middle. I wear the glasses . Thank you so much for your advice :)

Last edited:
I don't know how Amazon works in the UK? Here in the U.S. you can usually get free shipping and free returns. When I was shopping I ordered my top three choices after researching, kept the one I liked best, and returned the others. This may be an option if you can't find a local shop to try them.
Yes , in Uk some binoculars I can get free returns but What I want I some binoculars I can't get free return. it's a shame.

Vortex are very good binoculars and are priced accordingly. I have Monarch 5 12 x 42 and chose them as I wanted something to check to detail and general spotting when taking photos (I prefer to use bins rather than the camera and lenses particularly when working from vehicles). The Monarch range of 8 x 42, 10 x 42 and 12 x 42 are reasonably priced fro the quality. as come under $300 but deals are to be had out there. You can get the Monarch 7 8 x 42 within your budget also. As mentioned , if you want to use the binos for general scanning then 8 x or 10 x would suit best, if you want observation / details the 10 x or 12 x . If you wear glasses check to make sure the binos have a long eye relief design so you can use them whilst wearing glasses (Monarch 5 and 7 do)

Vortex are very good binoculars and are priced accordingly. I have Monarch 5 12 x 42 and chose them as I wanted something to check to detail and general spotting when taking photos (I prefer to use bins rather than the camera and lenses particularly when working from vehicles). The Monarch range of 8 x 42, 10 x 42 and 12 x 42 are reasonably priced fro the quality. as come under $300 but deals are to be had out there. You can get the Monarch 7 8 x 42 within your budget also. As mentioned , if you want to use the binos for general scanning then 8 x or 10 x would suit best, if you want observation / details the 10 x or 12 x . If you wear glasses check to make sure the binos have a long eye relief design so you can use them whilst wearing glasses (Monarch 5 and 7 do)
ah ok thank you for your advice..... , I wear glasses.

what do you think of Nikon PROSTAFF P7 8x42, Black? I saw on amazon and I can get free return . Could you tell me please, thank you​

You eyes have a "binocular" FoV of 120* (degrees), yet 8x42 binocs have only a 7-8* (degree)...because the image is magnified (image appears 8x closer than what you eyes see). Here are some key points I came across:

Some handy rules of thumb:​

• Field of view decreases with higher magnification—in the same way you see less through a telescope vs. through binoculars, or through a telephoto lens vs. a wide-angle lens. This is one reason why many birders prefer 8x models over 10x models.
  • Manufacturers state field of view either in degrees (°) or in feet at 1,000 yards. Typical values for birding binoculars are between about 5.5° and 8.5° (that’s 290–470 feet at 1,000 yards). For a bird that’s only 20 feet away, it means you’ll see an image about 2–3 feet across.
  • For every 0.5° increase in field of view, you’ll see about an 8% wider field. So if you’re comparing binoculars with a 6° field of view to a model with 8°, you’ll see 33% wider with the 8° pair. And taking into account height and width of the view, that translates to about 76% more area with the 8° binoculars.
  • A binocular’s stated field of view is a best-case scenario. As your eyes move farther away from the eyepiece (for instance when you twist out the eyecups, or if you wear eyeglasses), you’ll see less field of view. In these cases, it can be extra helpful to have a binocular with a wide field of view.

Good info, thanks! Does the objective alter the field of view, or is it just more is brighter?

I have used both 8x an d 10x binoculars. A quality pair of 8x works better to support bird photography because it is better for scanning areas to locate subjects. 10x is too narrowly focused.

A good friend turned me on to Maven binoculars. Maven competes with the highest quality binoculars yet is half to one third of the price. They are a US company located in Wyoming. They are less expensive because they don’t market and they don’t have distributors. You buy direct from them. They assemble their own binoculars out of the same quality optical parts.

Maven relies strictly on reputation and word of mouth for sales.

I ended up buying a pair of their top of the line 8x42 binoculars, the B.1.2 model. I have been totally impressed and satisfied with them. The clarity, brightness and sharpness is superb.

I have used both 8x an d 10x binoculars. A quality pair of 8x works better to support bird photography because it is better for scanning areas to locate subjects. 10x is too narrowly focused.

A good friend turned me on to Maven binoculars. Maven competes with the highest quality binoculars yet is half to one third of the price. They are a US company located in Wyoming. They are less expensive because they don’t market and they don’t have distributors. You buy direct from them. They assemble their own binoculars out of the same quality optical parts.

Maven relies strictly on reputation and word of mouth for sales.

I ended up buying a pair of their top of the line 8x42 binoculars, the B.1.2 model. I have been totally impressed and satisfied with them. The clarity, brightness and sharpness is superb.
Yeah Maven is very good. I have a monocular Maven. I wanted to buy a binocular Maven but i'm scared because I contacted them to get warranty for a monocular by email . I didn't get the answer from them. I don't trust them.

I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Unless you have extremely steady hands 8x conventional binoculars is about the magnification limit beyond which viewing a shaky image becomes a potential issue. Or viewing from a moving platform like a boat or a moving car.

Binocular power varies according to the particular need. The comments below assume non-image stabilized.

For boating which of course involves viewing on a sometimes-violently moving platform, the preferred optic is 7x50. These turn out to be pretty heavy but on a boat you don’t hike with them, I kept mine at the helm. Anything more powerful bounces around too much and you need the super wide aperture for spotting unlighted navigation markers at night. A good pa;ir of those are essential for safe boating.

8x binoculars are the standard for general viewing from a stable platform. They are more than sufficient in my opinion to support wildlife photography.

I have not worked with image stabilization in binoculars.

ah great! what about Monarch 7 ? which one do you prefer prostaff 7 or monarch 7. I wear glasses. Thank you.
These are quite different. The Prostaff 7 ($190) is in the Budget category and is very good for that category. The Monarch 7 ($440) is a very good upper mid-level binocular with better optics and focus. In between is the Monarch 5 ($260) which is near the quality of the Monarch 7 with a slightly narrower field of view and slightly coarser AF wheel. Both Monarch models have very nice eye relief and roll back eyecups making them excellent with glasses.

If you don't already have Steve Perry's eBook https://bcgwebstore.com/product/the-ultimate-nikon-z9-setup-shooting-guide-for-wildlife-photography/ I strongly encourage you to get it!

It will answer 99.9% of your questions and also suggest the best way to set up the camera for wildlife.
Here is a short set up video Steve did for the Z8 and Z9. It's packed full of information.

At around 26 minute mark he talks about how to customize various buttons on the Z8 and Z9 in the f2 Customize Controls (shooting) menu (see page 624 in the Z8 manual). After watching the video that you should understand how to customize various buttons on the Z8/Z9.

THEN - you can try selecting the OK button as an example while in f2 Customize Controls (shooting) and see what options you have to customize that button. Many of us set the OK button to zoom in 100%. That means if you are looking through the viewfinder when shooting and press the OK button, the viewfinder will zoom (i.e 100%) into the scene. Press the OK button once again, and it will reset to normal.

It is a quick and easy to check out focus or subject details when shooting.

Separately, when viewing an image in Playback mode, you can set the OK button to zoom into the photo so you can check focus or image details in an image that you have already taken. Simply go to the f3 Customize Playback menu item and select the OK button and change it to zoon.

Again, for MY uses when shooting, I use this and don't need a separate set of binos.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
These are quite different. The Prostaff 7 ($190) is in the Budget category and is very good for that category. The Monarch 7 ($440) is a very good upper mid-level binocular with better optics and focus. In between is the Monarch 5 ($260) which is near the quality of the Monarch 7 with a slightly narrower field of view and slightly coarser AF wheel. Both Monarch models have very nice eye relief and roll back eyecups making them excellent with glasses.

Oh I see, I think I will go Monarch 7 . Tomorrow I will go to the store and to try it. Could you tell me please 10 is better than 8 who have problem with retinitis pigmentosa. I can see in the middle left and right I lost of the field. or both same
Thank you 🙏

Here is a short set up video Steve did for the Z8 and Z9. It's packed full of information.

At around 26 minute mark he talks about how to customize various buttons on the Z8 and Z9 in the f2 Customize Controls (shooting) menu (see page 624 in the Z8 manual). After watching the video that you should understand how to customize various buttons on the Z8/Z9.

THEN - you can try selecting the OK button as am example and see what options you have to customize that button. Many of us set the OK button to zoom in 100%. That means if you are looking through the viewfinder when shooting and press the OK button, the viewfinder will zoom (i.e 100%) into the scene. Press the OK button once again, and it will reset to normal.

It is a quick and easy to check out focus or subject details when shooting.

Separately, when viewing an image in Playback mode, you can set the OK button to zoom into the photo so you can check focus or image details in an image that you have already taken. Simply go to the f3 Customize Playback menu item and select the OK button and change it to zoon.

Again, for MY uses when shooting, I use this and don't need a separate set of binos.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much . That’s very kind of you ! 🙏😊

I spent a good deal of time researching and trying out binoculars in the mid-price range, and for optical quality and excellent eye-relief for using eyeglasses, I went with Nikon Monarch 7 10x42s, and they've been great. Recently, my family gave me a pair of Nikon M7 8x30s, and I have loved them as a camera companion. They're light enough to use with one hand, and I hardly notice I have them on when also carrying all of my camera gear. They also pack easily into a range of my bags. Both pairs are also great at close focusing.

Here's a review from Cornell's Ornithology Lab: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/best-affordable-compact-binoculars-review/

Another helpful Cornell article: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/the-cornell-lab-review-affordable-full-size-8x42-binoculars/

Oh I see, I think I will go Monarch 7 . Tomorrow I will go to the store and to try it. Could you tell me please 10 is better than 8 who have problem with retinitis pigmentosa. I can see in the middle left and right I lost of the field. or both same
Thank you 🙏
I would get the 8x rather than the 10x. 8x has a wider field of view and makes it easier to find the subject. It's also better to have a wider field of view if you have any visual limitations.

Back