Binocular 8x42 or 10x42?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have Monarch HGs. They work very well and do not tire my eyes. I have used Swarovski and they are really nice. But, I can’t justify the cost difference.

Hello,

I'm going to buy a Vortex crossfire or Diamond binocular. I can't decide between 8x42 or 10x42 for birds. I need your advice please. Please I don't want Swarovski , Zeiss and Leica are excessively expensive. I'm looking for a good binocular and a good reasonable price. I don't know if Nikon PROSTAFF P7 8x42 or Nikon Monarch M7 Binoculars 8x42 is better than Vortex? My budget I can spend £150 to £350 . I'm not birdwatching because I'm a photographer but I need a good binocular. for example when the birds are well hidden and I can't take a photo so I can use a binocularThank you very much.
I recommend using: https://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide
Smile,
JimmyT Sends

I know this thread is more aimed at the mid price range, but for the posters above with Swarovski bins, how much better are they? There is no store in my area (Portland OR) that carries them to test. Shelling out a couple grand requires some heavy duty comparison. I have the Monarch 7 and are happy with them, but I don't know what I am missing, if what I am missing is that much or makes a difference in birding experience, or worth an additional $1-2K. Use - mainly local birding and on a couple safari's. Would appreciate input from those in the know.
I have 8.5 x42 ELs, and the difference for me was absolutely stunning. Not that the Bushnell's were bad, but you know how when you get a new pair of glasses after a long time, and suddenly everything is brighter & sharper? It's like that. I never even heard of the Monarchs before I found Steve's YouTube so I assume they are less well-regarded by people who primarily bird, rather than primarily take photographs. That doesn't mean they're bad, it might just be a matter of chance what interest groups have collected around what gear items.

I have 8.5 x42 ELs, and the difference for me was absolutely stunning. Not that the Bushnell's were bad, but you know how when you get a new pair of glasses after a long time, and suddenly everything is brighter & sharper? It's like that. I never even heard of the Monarchs before I found Steve's YouTube so I assume they are less well-regarded by people who primarily bird, rather than primarily take photographs. That doesn't mean they're bad, it might just be a matter of chance what interest groups have collected around what gear items.
You are spot on With the ELs. Nikon sponsored an endeavor that I was a part of years ago. They provided binoculars, range finders, spotting scopes, and rifle scopes. I had a pair of their high end binoculars, Premier LX 10x42, that was obviously better glass than their Monarch line. But, they retailed for more than $1,5000. Even then, I could tell the difference with Swarovski being a little crisper. Nikon does not make the Premier LX anymore, but the Monarch line are much improved.

If I were going to be using binoculars for long periods of time, on a routine basis, I would probably get Swarovski.

For anyone on the US west coast, and perhaps elsewhere, a great place to try out new binoculars is at a local birding festival. The most customer friendly optics store I've ever dealt with is Out of this World Optics in Mendocino CA. A husband and wife own it and it's the go-to place for the local birding community. They usually set up an extensive selection at multiple birding festivals on the west coast. It's really helpful to do side by side comparisons.

Back