Binocular 8x42 or 10x42?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Another vote for the 8x42 Monarch 7s. I have a pair of Monarch 7 8x42s and a pair of older Monarch 10x42 (made before they started different levels of Monarch -- still very good). I almost always find myself reaching for the 8x42s rather than the 10x42s, especially when I use them in a canoe or kayak that is often moving. The lower magnification - wider field of view - makes them easier to use. I also have a smaller pair of Monarch HG 8x30s that I take traveling, if space or weight is an issue. Nikon also makes Monarch 7 8x30s that my wife uses.

I spent a good deal of time researching and trying out binoculars in the mid-price range, and for optical quality and excellent eye-relief for using eyeglasses, I went with Nikon Monarch 7 10x42s, and they've been great. Recently, my family gave me a pair of Nikon M7 8x30s, and I have loved them as a camera companion. They're light enough to use with one hand, and I hardly notice I have them on when also carrying all of my camera gear. They also pack easily into a range of my bags. Both pairs are also great at close focusing.

Here's a review from Cornell's Ornithology Lab: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/best-affordable-compact-binoculars-review/

Another helpful Cornell article: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/the-cornell-lab-review-affordable-full-size-8x42-binoculars/

I would get the 8x rather than the 10x. 8x has a wider field of view and makes it easier to find the subject. It's also better to have a wider field of view if you have any visual limitations.
Ok Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I'm going to buy a Vortex crossfire or Diamond binocular. I can't decide between 8x42 or 10x42 for birds. I need your advice please. Please I don't want Swarovski , Zeiss and Leica are excessively expensive. I'm looking for a good binocular and a good reasonable price. I don't know if Nikon PROSTAFF P7 8x42 or Nikon Monarch M7 Binoculars 8x42 is better than Vortex? My budget I can spend £150 to £350 . I'm not birdwatching because I'm a photographer but I need a good binocular. for example when the birds are well hidden and I can't take a photo so I can use a binocularThank you very much.

For me, the choice between 8x42 or 10x42 depends on you and how quickly you can get on a bird. If you have slower than average reaction time, as I do, I have found it helpful to have the wider field of view. I do have the Swarovski 8.5 x 42 but I'm a lifelong birder & quite obviously when I was struggling more financially, I did just fine with a less spendy brand. I don't remember the brand I used but it wasn't any one of them you mentioned, no doubt it was some cheap popular brand of the day, and I saw plenty of birds & had many amazing experiences before I got the Swarovski. I suspect any modern brand will serve you just fine.

If you're not a birder & you're primarily using the binoculars to quickly find & scan for birds that you intend to photograph, that may be another reason to choose the wider field of view/less magnification. It also suggests (to me) any halfway decent brand would serve you just as well... Modern optics have come a long way since I was a kid. I suspect for your purpose you're free to shop on price.

I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 s about 7 years ago. I tried the Monarch 7 8x42s, and the Vortex 8x42 and 10x42s as well. I was looking for something in the $500 range (retirement gift card) and the Monarch 7s seem to fit the bill. I also tried a few Zeiss and Swarovski models. Excellent binoculars but for me the Monarch’s were a good all around selection. I take them everywhere. Rugged and very good optics. I went with the 10s for just a little more reach.

I have 8x42 and 10x50. I have vortex Diamondback and Leupold. I really like vortex optics. Not only binoculars but also vortex riflescopes.

For general field use I like 8x better than 10x. 8x are easier to hold steady. 10x give a little more magnification but at the expense of weight and ease of use. I use the 10x50 when I know I am goi g to be glassing fields at edge of daylight and the critters I’m looking g for are far away. For birds 8x should be plenty.
(Edited to correct autocorrect error)

Last edited:
When you are using binoculars alongside photo equipment size is an important consideration. If you will only use them in good light 8x32 is worth a consideration. If you also use them in low light a bigger diameter is of course better For finding stuff generally I would recommend 8x over 10x because they’re easier to hold still (not really, but less magnification means less image shake) and have a wider field of view. I used a pair of zeiss dialyt 7x42 for over 35 years. I recently switched to Swarovski NL pure 10x42 recently but I only chose 10x because of the wide FOV of the swarovski binoculars. I understand you do not want to spend a lot of money on the binoculars and these are probably excessive if all you use them for is finding animals but you should consider that the more expensive binoculars basically last forever. My Zeiss binoculars are more than 35 years old and still basically perfect optically and mechanically.

Cheap binoculars can last forever too! I have a $10 pair from Costco that won't die. They are 10x25 Bushnell FOV 342' at 1,000Y and when compared to $2000 Leitz 10x25s were about 96% as good much to the surprise of the Leitz owner. LOL Should have bought 2.

Cheap binoculars can last forever too! I have a $10 pair from Costco that won't die. They are 10x25 Bushnell FOV 342' at 1,000Y and when compared to $2000 Leitz 10x25s were about 96% as good much to the surprise of the Leitz owner. LOL Should have bought 2.
Bushnell! That's what I had back in the day. They didn't ever wear out, I just eventually upgraded them to fit in with the cool kids... (there are a lot of very serious birders in Louisiana)

8 is a magnification and 32 is an objective lens . I'm not an expert for the binoculars :D 😜
Adding a bit more detail at the beginners level, 8 in this example is part the equivalent of focal length magnification.

8x is similar to the vertical height of 400mm on FX
As each side of a pair of binoculars covers only a circle you need two lenses (as in binoculars rather than monoculars) side by side and offset a little to see an image similar in general shape to a camera rectangle.

32 is the equivalent of a front filter size - and the higher the number eg as in 42 the more light gets in.
It is not directly an aperture as 10x has more magnification than 8x and needs a bigger front element for the same level of illumination.

8x32 is roughly the same brightness as 10x42.
The 10x42 has more magnification, increased weight and if maintaining image quality a higher price.

Last edited:
Leupold and Vortex both have a really good lifetime warranty that should be taken into consideration. I really don't know what other brands offer in the way of warranty, but I do own both Vortex and Leupold optics .

Thank you so much. I went to the shop earlier but they didn't have much choice. I tried Nikon Monarch M7 10x42 Binoculars and 8x42. I also tried Vortex Optics Crossfire HD 8x42. I assure you that I can't decide because for me Nikon and Vortex are the same and very good. :D🤪. It's difficult to pick one.

I tried Zeiss terra ed 10x25 but i would like it's not short?

There’s a tradeoff between larger and smaller binoculars.
A 42 frontlens combined with good or excellent optical quality, field flattening lens technique great eye relief and the best available reflective coating will grant you the best detail and outstanding performance in (very) dim lighting conditions.
I myself use a Swarovski EL 12/50 for hunting (yes I know it’s like swearing in church here, but I have to) surveillance and “static use”.
Best bins I ever used (my grandson once said looking throught it “grandpa it’s like switching the lights on while looking through it ! LOL) but it’s heavy and bulky and costs a “bit” more than you’re willing to spend.
My wife uses a https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-12x32-is-small-compact-lightweight-portable-binoculars/1373C005/
(There are cheaper less magnifying options)
The Image stabilisation is a thrill and despite it’s optically not top notch it provides a trembling free view and thus more detail than most better binoculars will do at that same magnification.

Some questions I’d ask myself which will contribute to a good choice:

- What’s my intended use?
Commonly (very) little subjects far away ask for greater magnification (with the caveat of a narrower FOV and being more prone to trembling unless stabilized)
Regular use in dim lit conditions demands a wider frontlens
- Does size matter? (Weight and dimensions)
- What’s the eyerelief? (Very important when wearing specs! Or less important but still… having long eyelashes)
- Weathersealed yes/no (nitrogen filled means no fogging and grants use in all-weather condtions.
Last but certainly not least.
- What’s my budget?
Sometimes it may be a good idea to stretch or save a bit longer, buying binoculars is a bit like most people do when buying a tripod….

While looking for a pair of less expensive bino’s that I can keep in my car or loan out without to friends I had the chance to test out some Hawke Endurance 8x32 & 8x42 during Big Bird Week at Magee Marsh this spring. I was very impressed with build quality and clarity of these binoculars coming in at $225. ED glass ,17mm eye relief and magnesium body on a lower price binoculars was a pleasant suprise. The only reason I didn’t bring a pair home with me is that I wanted to do some more research on the brand love agonizing over the decision.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm going to buy a Vortex crossfire or Diamond binocular. I can't decide between 8x42 or 10x42 for birds. I need your advice please. Please I don't want Swarovski , Zeiss and Leica are excessively expensive. I'm looking for a good binocular and a good reasonable price. I don't know if Nikon PROSTAFF P7 8x42 or Nikon Monarch M7 Binoculars 8x42 is better than Vortex? My budget I can spend £150 to £350 . I'm not birdwatching because I'm a photographer but I need a good binocular. for example when the birds are well hidden and I can't take a photo so I can use a binocularThank you very much.
I'm a birder and I am solidly in the 8 x 42 camp.
For these reasons:

8x42 Binoculars​

• Wider Field of View: Easier to locate and follow moving objects, beneficial for birdwatching and general nature observation.
  • Brighter Image: Better in low light conditions due to larger exit pupil (5.25mm), useful at dawn or dusk.
  • Less Handshake: Easier to hold steady, resulting in a clearer image without the need for a tripod.

Good morning Mimi76! Just my two cents worth…. When I was looking for binoculars a few years ago, I looked at all the name brands you mentioned.: Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, Vortex, and others. It was quite a large sporting goods store, so I was able to get a feel for them. I ended up with the Nikon Monarch 8x42. They weren’t the cheapest, yet not nearly most expensive either. Since then, I’ve acquired a Nikon Action 10x50 and a Nikon ProStaff 12x50, thinking bigger must be better.

The Nikon Monarch 8x42 is my absolute “go to” binocular and I keep it in my Jeep so it’s readily available when I’m out with the cameras. Personally, I find that the 8x42 is sharper than either the 10x50 or 12x50. Also, because of the lower magnification, it doesn’t appear as”shaky” (or maybe I just don’t appear as shaky…hahahaha). The 10x50 and 12x50 simply sit unused on a shelf in my office. When I get around to it, I’ll be getting rid of those two and possibly get a newer model Nikon 8x42. In my opinion, 8x42 is ideal!

the general consensus from my professional birding friends is go with 8x42 or 32. I have both and find the 10s don’t give me that more resolution especially with modestly priced optics. It is more difficult to get higher resolution optics in the higher magnification and often you lose a bit of clarity. If you really want 10s I would spend more money on a top quality binocular. Also not only will you lose field of view size but you will also lose depth of field and this can often be more of an issue. I would recommend 8s.

Good morning Mimi76! Just my two cents worth…. When I was looking for binoculars a few years ago, I looked at all the name brands you mentioned.: Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, Vortex, and others. It was quite a large sporting goods store, so I was able to get a feel for them. I ended up with the Nikon Monarch 8x42. They weren’t the cheapest, yet not nearly most expensive either. Since then, I’ve acquired a Nikon Action 10x50 and a Nikon ProStaff 12x50, thinking bigger must be better.

The Nikon Monarch 8x42 is my absolute “go to” binocular and I keep it in my Jeep so it’s readily available when I’m out with the cameras. Personally, I find that the 8x42 is sharper than either the 10x50 or 12x50. Also, because of the lower magnification, it doesn’t appear as”shaky” (or maybe I just don’t appear as shaky…hahahaha). The 10x50 and 12x50 simply sit unused on a shelf in my office. When I get around to it, I’ll be getting rid of those two and possibly get a newer model Nikon 8x42. In my opinion, 8x42 is ideal!
Not a fair comparison! Nikon Action and ProStaf are the budget priced binoculars. Of course the Monarch are better, has nothing to do with magnification.

I have both of the Vortex brand binos mentioned in your post (8x42 and 10x42). I have two because I keep one in vehicles at two different homes (primary and mountain cabin). I photograph both BIF and wildlife. If the majority of your of photography will be BIF go with the 8x42 for the wider field of view as you will usually be closer to the subject(s). For wildlife in the wild, I find the extra magnification of the 10x42 useful. I think the Vortex brand strikes a good balance between quality and price.
Though you didn‘t ask, I highly reccommend the Ultra-Light Binocular Harness available from the Rick Young Outdoor Store. Versatile carry options and not bulky.

You can only decide on magnification power by trying out the bino as you would use it. That is holding with two hands in a braced position and holding one handed. The greater the magnification the more difficult it is to hold them steady. I find that 10X are fine if I can rest my elbows, but for standing or one hand holding the 8X is what I need. The first binos I bought about 30 years ago are Bausch & Lomb 8x32. They are designed for birding and have the National Audubon Society stamp. The objective lenses are quite far apart which gives better depth perception. The binos that I use now,, in conjunction with photography are Zeiss Victory 8X25. They are very small and light weight and can hang around my neck all day and they also fit in my jacket pocket. The small objective lenses would indicate that they would not be good in low light, but the extreme clarity and brightness of the optics compensates for that. I can easily get clear and steady views of birds holding them with one hand.

I have used 10x42s for decades. That is what works best for me. In my opinion, if you use binoculars very much, get the best glass that you can afford.

I know this thread is more aimed at the mid price range, but for the posters above with Swarovski bins, how much better are they? There is no store in my area (Portland OR) that carries them to test. Shelling out a couple grand requires some heavy duty comparison. I have the Monarch 7 and are happy with them, but I don't know what I am missing, if what I am missing is that much or makes a difference in birding experience, or worth an additional $1-2K. Use - mainly local birding and on a couple safari's. Would appreciate input from those in the know.

Back