Botswana Safari - equipment (Chobe, Okavango Delta)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, been searching this topic and I know that there is no "right answer" but wanted to hear from those experienced in Safari in Botswana what worked for them best.

I own a Z9 + 500PF + TC1.4 III, Nikkor 105 2.8 Micro, Nikkor 20mm 1.8 as well as a D850 (and 70-300 DX lens which I'm not thrilled to use)

I'm missing some focal range here, and thought about getting a 100-400Z vs 400 4.5 vs 70-200 (not sure if for the Z mount or the F mount) vs something like 300 2.8 (which will be harder to buy/rent). I assume I can use the 105 2.8 + TC but don't think this is optimal.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Hi, been searching this topic and I know that there is no "right answer" but wanted to hear from those experienced in Safari in Botswana what worked for them best.

I own a Z9 + 500PF + TC1.4 III, Nikkor 105 2.8 Micro, Nikkor 20mm 1.8 as well as a D850 (and 70-300 DX lens which I'm not thrilled to use)

I'm missing some focal range here, and thought about getting a 100-400Z vs 400 4.5 vs 70-200 (not sure if for the Z mount or the F mount) vs something like 300 2.8 (which will be harder to buy/rent). I assume I can use the 105 2.8 + TC but don't think this is optimal.

I have spent a good deal of time on the Chobe River and also the Okavango. Adding to what you have. I would personally go with the 100-400 option. I have been using this a good deal lately and although a great lens, I have found myself using the 500pf less. However, I do have the 800pf, so your 500 + 1.4 would cover that. I am not sure how important landscapes and scenery are to you but a wide angle zoom would be a good addition. I find the Z14-30 very versatile.

I was recently in Africa and the 100-400 was my mainstay but often it wasn't long enough and I used the L-fn1 button to switch into DX mode. What @ingweDave recommended seems spot on to me. I did enjoy having the 105MC though for insects and plants and even some people shots.

In November we had perfect weather and I could have swapped lens in the field if I wanted. That is something to consider as many say don't do that. Get ready for adventure.

I've been to Botswana a number of times. If I could take only one lens with me, it would be the Z 100-400mm with teleconverters. It is a fantastic lens and I love the versatility of having a zoom. Of course I would also want to have a wide angle lens. And for further reach I would also want a longer lens although with teleconverters the 100-400mm will get out to 560mm and 800mm but with some minor loss of quality especially with 2X TC - Z 600mm f4 with TC would be perfect. But you will also do fine with the 500mm PF + 1.4X TC.

Thought about getting a 100-400Z…
That's the one!

I'm not sure whether I'll make it back to Botswana but, assuming I do, my Canon equivalent of that lens will be the first to be packed.

I suspect the 50mm f/1.8 thrifty–nifty–fifty (so inexpensive, so small, so light!) will be the next to earn its place.

Tripod, monopod, gimbal will very likely lose out!

… David

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers!
So you'd say - 100-400 on the Z9 and the 500PF + 1.4TCIII on the D850 with occasional switch to 20mm when needed?
Do you think Micro Nikkor 105 2.8 will have a use for wildlife on such trip (regardless of insects etc.)

So you'd say - 100-400 on the Z9 and the 500PF + 1.4TCIII on the D850 with occasional switch to 20mm when needed?
Do you think Micro Nikkor 105 2.8 will have a use for wildlife on such trip (regardless of insects etc.)
Probably little use for a macro lens. And the Z 100-400mm lens is able to focus closely with a reproduction ration of almost 0.4.
20mm is fairly wide. You would do better with a wide angle zoom in the range of 24-70mm. There are certainly many opportunities in Botswana for landscape shots with animals in them.

I always pack my 105 with the intention of doing some macro. However, I nearly always come home without using it, as I have been too busy! The 100-400 is a very useful stand in for macro subjects, even if it is not a macro lens.

Like other members, I have been to this region several times. My advice is to take less than you think you will need. On our last trip I took 3 lenses: 24-120z, 100-400z, and the 500PF with 1.4x and 1.7x TCs. This proved to be easy to travel with and effective in the field. There are lots of beautiful birds to photograph and you won't be sad with the 500PF + 1.4 TC combo. I completely agree with others that the 100-400 is just a great lens for this trip! In the past I've brought my 105 macro "just in case", but like others I never used it. Have a great trip!

Been there just once (so far), the problem is the wide range of what you'll see: hippos and elephants both very close (as in hippos charging our boat - 5-10 feet) and far (couple hundred yards). Wide variety of birds that, again, you might get close to or not so close. You will be presented with both within minutes or seconds of each other. I had 100-400, 150-600, 24-120. After getting back, what I noted most was not enough reach for a lot of shots - birds, even big animals but far off - and have had to crop more than I really wish I had to to get the composition I liked. Others we were around had problems with having too much reach on a prime (usually 600 or 800) and couldn't get a near subject in frame. IMHO, zooms are the ticket for the variety. The 100-400 with 1.4 and 2.0 TC would work well, its just switching the TC's that can a pain. On the Z9 (don't have one - yet), my understanding is that you can switch to crop mode which takes the 100-400 to 150-600. Rec 2 cameras with a medium range zoom (100-400) on one and longer range zoom or prime on the other.
Hope your trip will be as fantastic as mine.

Hi K,
Like others ,I visit Botswana quite frequently, as I live in South Africa around 6 hours away.
You have received good recommendations from all of the responders which I fully concur with.
I strongly recommend taking two camera bodies which gives you far more rapid flexibility to switch from a closer animal to one further away without the added risk of losing the shot while fiddling with a lens change.
My gear that I use is - Nikon D850 and D500 bodies, 120 - 300 f2.8 lens,70-200 f2.8 lens,24 -120 f4 lens ,500PF lens ,and , a 1.4 teleconverter for added reach if required.
The 24-120 has been mainly used for landscape pictures.
Enjoy your trip!
Gavin

I was just there. I used an 800pf on my z9 and 80-400 on my d850 ninety percent of the time. Wasn't bothered by the gap between 400 and 800. I had a 500pf but rarely used it.
The 800 was great for birds (but even used it to get the mouth of a hippo chasing our boat). At the end of the day I would sometimes put a 50 1.7 on one of cameras for landscapes. I would get the Z100-400 for your Z9, and put the 500pf with TC on your d850.

Out of curiosity I went to look at the lens selection of the images I have retained out of 6700. Here is the list of lens choices. There were a few no lens entries which must have been processed ones without metadata.
1673527473394.png

Probably little use for a macro lens. And the Z 100-400mm lens is able to focus closely with a reproduction ration of almost 0.4.
20mm is fairly wide. You would do better with a wide angle zoom in the range of 24-70mm. There are certainly many opportunities in Botswana for landscape shots with animals in them.
There are also extension tubes in Z mount with full functionality…the output won’t be as good as a speci Ali Ed macro lens but for the cost and how much it will get used it’s an option I’m considering…especially if one only used the short and medium ones in the usual set of 3 to get closer but not so close that optical problems present…and there’s also DX mode and/or cropping a bit with the 100-400.

Was at chobe Nat. Park last year. Leave the 105 micro home as you won't use it. The 100-400 is your best choice for a lens. The guides will get you quite close for pics, had male lions within 4 feet of the vehicle and the 400mm will get you the long pics. You don't want to be changing lenses from camera bodies because it can be dusty at times. I used a Nikon d500 with a 200-500 the whole trip and was happy with what I brought. Also, there may be weight and luggage size restrictions on what you can carry with you on the small planes.

When I was in Botswana on a photo safari my longest lens was a 300mm f2.8 and a 1.4x tc. I also had a 70-200mm lens, a 24-85mm lens and a 20mm prime. I had two bodies, D810 and a D500. My lens choices were based on the camps we were going to. All allowed the vehicles to leave the road and drive to the animals. That is why I did not bring my 500mm f4.

If I were going back today to the same camps with a Z9 and a D850, I would take the Z mount 100-400mm with its 1.4x tc and keep it on the Z9. For the D850, I would use a 70-200mm and maybe a short prime. I see no need for a macro lens. The choice is also dependent on the camps and places you will be visiting and their rules about where the vehicles can go. Bring a good bean bag too. I would take two bodies. When there is action there is no time to change lenses. If you have a point and shoot bring it too, or just use your cell phone. On my trip the most requested image was a video of a bull elephant in the O delta feeding at sunset. One person got it with her cell phone.

I can also vouch for 100-400mm Z lens - it is very sharp and quick to lock on with the Z9. Impressive lens.

Loads of great advice above.
I was on the Chobe & in the Delta last Nov. Took 600/4 & 100-500. Both got used loads. TC on the 600 most of the time on the river, the bird life is amazing so reach is key.

Could not see a use for the 100 macro really. I took a 24-105 but never used it.

It’s an amazing place, you will love it.

Back