Calling those who print

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks.

I have questions, if you don't mind:

1. Do you home print or store print?
2. If you home print, what do you print on (hardware) and how do you mount?
3. Is home printing worth it financially these days, or is it more hassle than it's worth?
4. I rent my apartment and want to put some photos up but don't what to have holes all over my walls: what mounting and hanging solutions do you recommend? I'm guessing foam board is the lightest option.

Thanks in advance.
1. Both. Anything up to 17" width I print at home, larger sizes out to a professional printer.

2. I use the Epson P906 (P900 outside Australia). As to mounting, with images I print myself that are up to A2 in size I have purchased a series of frames with varying matt boards that allow me to interchange the image if I need to. The mount is a non-adhesive foamcore backing. This allows me to to print and hang particular pieces around my home and then change the image when I choose.

3. Probably not worth it financially to print yourself.
However and I suggest this is a big however... Firstly, my editing and to some extent, my photography has improved since I have been printing at home. What may look great on my 27" BenQ monitor, when printed will show any and every shortcoming. Secondly, printing at home has facilitated me in better experiencing different print media from fine art papers to alternates, such as metallic type finishes. Getting the correct paper can add so much more to an image when printed. Thirdly, when I do use an external professional print service the file I send is better than before my print days, plus an informed selection of media, with the combined results of a superior printed outcome.

4. Foamcore is definitely light in weight. As it is my home I have no hesitation in 'banging another hook' into a wall for a new framed image. 😆

I highly recommend as a photographer printing your work - if finances allow.

Good luck and enjoy your print journey...

I print at home, on an Epson SC-P900 using Red River Papers almost exclusively. I like to print on canvas, as well as some papers, including panoramic prints up to a three-to-one ration dimensionally.

I've heard it said many times that doing your own printing will cause your photography to improve. I believe that it's as true today with digital cameras and inkjet printers as it was forty years ago with film and wet process development and enlargers.

And there is something inherently satisfying when you get "the look" when you tell people that the print they are looking at was made at your house from a photo that you took. Yes, it's somewhat expensive, but worth it, to me.
Glad to find another Epson P900 user. I was printing from Canon Pro 100 before, mostly it worked fine, but then the printer would stop printing halfway through whenever a ink cartridge dropped to certain level, it drove me nuts. Sold it and bought Epson. Happily ever after.

Oliver

Thanks!
That is fantastic!
And those printers can do Adobe 1998? (Or maybe ProphotoRGB)
If you mean to print directly from Adobe 1998, I'll tell you that there are better solutions from at least two of the main printer manufacturers.

Epson publishes and distributes Epson Print Layout for no charge, and it produces a great printing interface to the user. It also works with certain Epson printers to produce the highest quality prints that a particular printer is capable of. I've not experienced it, but I've heard that Canon has a comparable printing software offer to be used with Canon printers.

I use the Epson Print Layout software with both my ET-8500 and SC-P900 printers, and never print directly from any Adobe product, or any other processing software. Epson Print Layout is just too good and too easy for me to worry with any other printing software.

Glad to find another Epson P900 user. I was printing from Canon Pro 100 before, mostly it worked fine, but then the printer would stop printing halfway through whenever a ink cartridge dropped to certain level, it drove me nuts. Sold it and bought Epson. Happily ever after.

Oliver
What papers are you using with your P900 and what kind of images are you printing?

If you mean to print directly from Adobe 1998, I'll tell you that there are better solutions from at least two of the main printer manufacturers.

Epson publishes and distributes Epson Print Layout for no charge, and it produces a great printing interface to the user. It also works with certain Epson printers to produce the highest quality prints that a particular printer is capable of. I've not experienced it, but I've heard that Canon has a comparable printing software offer to be used with Canon printers.

I use the Epson Print Layout software with both my ET-8500 and SC-P900 printers, and never print directly from any Adobe product, or any other processing software. Epson Print Layout is just too good and too easy for me to worry with any other printing software.
sRGB, Adobe 1998, Prophoto are color spaces. Printers may or may not be able to reproduce the color gamut of Adobe 1998, but not ProPhoto.

It would be a fun experiment for everyone who prints at home to print an 8X10 of the same file, with no adjustments, on their paper of choice, and then have all those prints sent to one member to be compiled and subsequently sent back out to a user to look at and send on to the next participant. It would be a neat way to compare printers and paper.

I have an Epson XP-950 ( prints up to A3 size), not just for photos alone but for scanning and letters. Had it for a long time, only had to replace the ink dump pads underneath once. Yes home printing is more expensive but at least you can get the colours as you want. lt is not just the printer to consider but the type of paper your printing on. It could be a matt- gloss-semi gloss or silk finish paper type to name but a few. I tend to use Ilford Galerie smooth gloss 5x7" paper which is quick drying, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for

sRGB, Adobe 1998, Prophoto are color spaces. Printers may or may not be able to reproduce the color gamut of Adobe 1998, but not ProPhoto.
Well, I learned something new, first thing this morning! I need to research these to try to understand them further. Thanks, Alan!

I print at home with an Epson P900, and a P700.
Yes, it is expensive, but to me, there is nothing like completing the process from capturing the image, processing and seeing it come out of your printer.
Love printing the 17 x 22's as well as some canvas prints.

I print at home still using my Canon pro 100. It hasn't ever clogged on me with my seldom use. I use red river paper and precision color inks. Precision color supplies inks for Epson and Canon only. Jtoolman on utube is a great resource for those with questions and problems. Been using precision color since my MP530 canon. Lol.

I’m fortunate to have an Epson 3880 at work. I pay for the ink on a per-square-inch basis and supply my own paper.

I’ve had friends who registered for photo courses at local community colleges just to have access to their pro printers.

I'm using a Canon Pro 200 for general work and storing prints in archival boxes separated by photo tissues. I use blurb for quality books and for Lrage high
quality prints, I use Still River editions giclée prints, the quality and color is superb probably due to they want your uploads in large Tiff files with all the image information rather than Jpg's. Excellent service and packaging and they do offer discounts to members of various professional photo agencies. I have used other services for various sized prints where the quality was not so important and they all were uploaded as jpg's it does make a difference.

I generally print a roughly 12x17" image on 17x22 paper allowing for a wide border instead of cutting a mat. The photo can be whatever height and width on that 17x22 paper and be mounted and displayed easily without spending a lot. My background is film and I have 4 blade Saunders easels that can print any size rectangle with any width borders I choose. A little wider bottom border is often nice.

Several thoughts:

Presenting images digitally leaves you at the mercey of the quality of a viewers' equipment - some will see your image on a phone, some a computer, etc and the viewing size, resolution and color quality will vary tremendously. Making large prints (36 x 44 inches in my case) as I do at home has no economic justification. However a first print from even the best lab may not be exactly what I want so having the ability to correct in real time with a second or third print is important to me.

I've always enjoyed processi. In the past I had a B&W darkroom, a color processing setup (E-3 and Cibachrome) and a plate burner. I still make gum prints. I even do my own framing - again no economic justification, I just enjoy it.

And finally, following my demise my kids will need a very large dumpster.

For what it's worth, if you have your own printer it's a lot easier to make prints for a specific size. I like making prints at the optimal size for a specific image. My mats have both standard and custom mat openings but are almost always standard mats to fit standard frames. With this approach I can swap out photos or replace photo and mat in a given frame.

For example, the 17x22 paper mentioned above is easy with roll paper, but harder to find as sheet fed paper. But you might want a 12x17 opening to have a small overlap, so that means a print that is 12.5 x 17.5 inches. Or you can print with an adjustment to match your print - anywhere from 11-14 om the short side and 14-19 on the long side. Most of those print sizes are not going to be standard - but with a custom print you can save a lot on mats and frames and still do justice to the image.

For what it's worth, if you have your own printer it's a lot easier to make prints for a specific size. I like making prints at the optimal size for a specific image. My mats have both standard and custom mat openings but are almost always standard mats to fit standard frames. With this approach I can swap out photos or replace photo and mat in a given frame.

For example, the 17x22 paper mentioned above is easy with roll paper, but harder to find as sheet fed paper. But you might want a 12x17 opening to have a small overlap, so that means a print that is 12.5 x 17.5 inches. Or you can print with an adjustment to match your print - anywhere from 11-14 om the short side and 14-19 on the long side. Most of those print sizes are not going to be standard - but with a custom print you can save a lot on mats and frames and still do justice to the image.

I agree with what you said, but will add that most print houses have a custom size feature where you can dial in any dimensions. I think they just charge for the next size up. Even if they didn't one can send the print to a larger paper and trim ourselves or request the print house to trim it in the comments section of the order.

Hi folks.

3. Is home printing worth it financially these days, or is it more hassle than it's worth?
4. I rent my apartment and want to put some photos up but don't what to have holes all over my walls: what mounting and hanging solutions do you recommend? I'm guessing foam board is the lightest option.

Thanks in advance.
Spent a fortune and endless hours with it all especially for competitions i used to enjoy doing.

I found there are to many cost effective efficient modern options out there.

I could in cases almost have a framed piece for the cost of my just printing.

Printing for photography I stopped, i dumped all the printing gear and materials, there are so many local cost effective labs around, there are budget, mid level and creative esoteric services, they all have the latest technology and skill sets.

What paper or the material you choose it can make a huge difference with the outcome, i don't like hanging glass in timber frames on my walls if anything i prefer a well made canvas print or laminated foil.

But hey if you want to give it a go do so, lots of people love doing their own printing don't let me discourage you.

There are a lot of people in this forum with loads of talent and experience, in my case i spent so much time doing printing and at times enjoying it so, but as time went on outsourcing printing and even professional commercial editing was a game changer for me, even renting tools (exotic lenses or cameras) as needed rather than owning them has become a convenient option, notice even Nikon offers renting as a service.

Holes in the walls from hanging, there are solutions, happy days...............

Only an opinion

Joel…

I should have mentioned that, so far as printing is concerned, the primary reason for running a second monitor is being able to judge what the print will look like. What is displayed on my BenQ SW272U is essentially the same as the print. The same cannot be said for the MacBook Pro (early 2023; same as Steve's?) that I'm using now.

Warning: in the BenQ range:
  • SW = Photographer Display
  • PD = Designer Display

… David
I have the Photographer Display and is Adobe 1998. So, I’m in R&D mode… a quality printer, that would be better from the WHCC 4x6/7 luster paper.

I just have no idea which printer, and which paper.
It makes sense to print from a special printer software to ensure what I see is what I get.

Hi folks.

Thanks in advance.
I home print because I enjoy the process, prints for club competitions, greeting cards and annual calendar for a few friends. If you use generic inks they can be half the cost of the branded items and as far as I can see the results are just as good. Using a Canon Pixma Pro 1 which I have had for many years. The only ones I have had done professionally are some acrylic blocks and a couple of aluminium prints for the bathroom!

I bought an Epson SureColor P900 two weeks ago. I am still learning by using different sample of papers. I love the process and it is really rewarding to see our work on paper. I decided this Christmas that all my gift will be my prints. I start making cards, calendar and big prints and I am having fun doing that.

I bought an Epson SureColor P900 two weeks ago. I am still learning by using different sample of papers. I love the process and it is really rewarding to see our work on paper. I decided this Christmas that all my gift will be my prints. I start making cards, calendar and big prints and I am having fun doing that.
How do you make a calendar? Its a full fledged binded booklet with lots of details to fill in, not just the photographs on top.

Hi folks.

Thanks in advance.
I print at home once a month. For our camera club print night, for albums and a few mounted cheap frames in 8x10 to 12x18 for my office and bathroom bird trophy walls. I keep it simple using the print module in Light Room Classic and use color matching from LRC not from Canon using a Canon Pro 100 (no longer made) very easy and very nice prints.

For items I have on display as I did recently as artist of the month on a 60' Art Wall at a large Regional Medical Center (took 39 prints) I have them printed on metal, light easy to deal with and hang and look great and sell well.

I also live in a rented apartment and they said no problem with as many nail holes as needed :) I have a lot of metal prints on my walls and they are light and easy to hang.

I print at home once a month. For our camera club print night, for albums and a few mounted cheap frames in 8x10 to 12x18 for my office and bathroom bird trophy walls. I keep it simple using the print module in Light Room Classic and use color matching from LRC not from Canon using a Canon Pro 100 (no longer made) very easy and very nice prints.

For items I have on display as I did recently as artist of the month on a 60' Art Wall at a large Regional Medical Center (took 39 prints) I have them printed on metal, light easy to deal with and hang and look great and sell well.

I also live in a rented apartment and they said no problem with as many nail holes as needed :) I have a lot of metal prints on my walls and they are light and easy to hang.
Doesn’t metal add a glossy look?
I like the luster look

Back