Calling those who print

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I never had clogging issues with my Pro-1000, and it sometimes sits unused for 8-10 weeks.

I print mostly for proofing. If I need something to frame and hang it goes to a local (Dallas) fine-art printers. We use the same paper (Red River) and printer so I can get close, but never as good as he can.

I used to make my own prints in a dark room, now print on a Canon PRO-1000 mainly because I like the process and the control. This might be worth watching.....

The Six Steps to Making Perfect Inkjet Prints (Updated for 2023) with Eric Joseph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oRG02hU4c He also has some very good videos on how to use both Canon Professional Print & Layout and Epson Print Layout

I have found him to be a great resource if you'e going to do your own printing.

as far as
" Then comes the printer its self. I can’t see my self trashing half full ink’s because one got low. Which eliminates the Canon printer." That is certainly not true on the Canon Pro-1000, you can replace individual ink cartridges
Very, very informative! I have never printed at home and have no immediate plans to do so but now I have a better understanding of the things that affect the outcome I get when having prints made by a commercial printing house.

Well, I have a fear of falling into a paper rabbit hole.
There are so many papers to choose.
Like lenses, I’m afraid I will stock 10 different papers…

For example the picture below.
I believe it needs another type of paper for this picture vs. a bird picture

DSC_6721.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I hear a lot of talk about printer profiles and wide gamut monitors but do any of you profile the cameras color with a color checker? I find the Z9 at least benefits greatly in the blues and greens from a proper camera profile.
I guess the answer is no one.... odd some are so worried about gamuts and profiles but dont seem to begin the process with matching the camera to software.

I use finestraArt paper for general evaluation, it's very good for the price. I use more Premium Luster but I stock Gloss too.
Canson Baryta is my favorite.
Epson rebrands lots of papers and sometimes has a better price.
finestraArt has good color and ink holdout for the price and might be a good place to start. Amazon LOL

Well, I have a fear of falling into a paper rabbit hole.
There are so many papers to choose.
Like lenses, I’m afraid I will stock 10 different papers…

For example the picture below.
I believe it needs another type of paper for this picture vs. a bird picture

View attachment 76264
I went thru the same thing, trying to settle on what papers to stock. I ended up with 2 from Canson - Plantine Fibre Rag for a semi-gloss and Arches 88 for a smooth Matte. Check out Canson papers https://www.canson-infinity.com/en They have very good fine art papers. If you're interested there is comparison chart of fine art papers from various suppliers at https://www.freestylephoto.com/Inkjet/Paper-Ratings

I guess the answer is no one.... odd some are so worried about gamuts and profiles but dont seem to begin the process with matching the camera to software.
FWIW, when product photography was part of my business I did profile my cameras using the color checker system and also calibrated my photo processing computer. In that work getting something like a jacket color way off form it’s actual color was a deal breaker that would cost me jobs and potentially clients.

In nature work we’re not held to exact Pantone standards for colors in our photos as folks and photo editors don’t return a bear or hummingbird if the catalog photo doesn’t match the product. But we still generally want our prints to look as much like the edited image on our processing monitor as possible and a color managed print process can help quite a bit with that.

I suspect quite a few product and portrait photographers create accurate camera profiles and color manage the entire process even if it’s less common among nature and wildlife photographers.

FWIW, when product photography was part of my business I did profile my cameras using the color checker system and also calibrated my photo processing computer. In that work getting something like a jacket color way off form it’s actual color was a deal breaker that would cost me jobs and potentially clients.

In nature work we’re not held to exact Pantone standards for colors in our photos as folks and photo editors don’t return a bear or hummingbird if the catalog photo doesn’t match the product. But we still generally want our prints to look as much like the edited image on our processing monitor as possible and a color managed print process can help quite a bit with that.

I suspect quite a few product and portrait photographers create accurate camera profiles and color manage the entire process even if it’s less common among nature and wildlife photographers.
Many people in the Nikon ecosystem find getting the greens "right" can be difficult. I found a rather large difference in the blue and green channels between profiled and unprofiled shots.

So many paper choices. Bay Photo will send sample swatches of the fine art papers they carry across brands. Hahnemuhle whicn I am partial to will send a sample pack of their photography papers, as will most of the paper makers, Breathing Color, Canson, red river.

I think it's easier to judge if part of the swatch Is sent preprinted with a photo if they give a choice.

So many paper choices. Bay Photo will send sample swatches of the fine art papers they carry across brands. Hahnemuhle whicn I am partial to will send a sample pack of their photography papers, as will most of the paper makers, Breathing Color, Canson, red river.

I think it's easier to judge if part of the swatch Is sent preprinted with a photo if they give a choice.
The problem is, that so many quality papers would looking great. What do you choose?!

The problem is, that so many quality papers would looking great. What do you choose?!

Yeah, and that is just inkjet papers. There are fewer choices for silver halide c print papers, but still enough to make it difficult. I think one thing is if it will be behind glass or acrylic the weight and texture is not as critical so the heavy textured papers can be eliminated. If there are a lot of darks I eliminate glossy. That still leaves a lot. Maybe get to know one company's offerings first and choose within their catalog. I personally like the Hahnemuhle William Turner and the Baryta satin as all around go to papers, but there are excellent papers from all the major makers.

Some hints and a swatchbook at this link:

Or try some sample packs:

Last edited:
If you are not sure, keep it with a single, basic paper until you know. It would be like making the photo without deciding your subject and what you wanted to say. There are hundreds of options for papers - each of which can suggest different post processing. Pick one or two papers and just use them until you have a clear need for something different.

The first decision is usually the finish - gloss, luster, or matte.

Gloss emphasizes sharpness, sharp detail, and high resolution. The downside is reflections, fingerprints, and in some cases a common "drugstore print" feel. This paper is not commonly used by professionals these days but has in the past.

Luster eliminates or reduces some of the negatives of gloss paper. The finish is a little softer and less reflective, but it shows the image nicely. I'd put in this category very fine textured papers such as velvet finishes as an upgrade. You could put Baryta papers in this category. Both velvet and baryta papers are very smooth but don't have the glare of gloss. Sharpness is still seen in your image, but does not dominate. Metallic papers fall into this category.

Matte papers, fiber, and canvas all are textured papers. The paper becomes part of the image. Hot press fiber tends to be smoother than cold press. These are art papers that are often sheets only rather than rolls. The papers have a heavier feel to the touch. You can use these papers to convey the feel of a watercolor, an oil painting, or to minimize reflection.

Another aspect to this is the degree of whiteness in the paper. Papers have measurements of the reflective properties or the brightness of the paper itself. The catch is the whiteness is achieved with optical brighteners, and these brighteners fade in time with exposure to UV light. When the brighteners fade, the image can become dingy and lack contrast. So print life becomes a factor - especially dependent on where the photo is displayed. You may still want bright paper with optical brighteners - just avoid display in a bright area or with harsh lighting.

Paper weight is another factor. You have both paper thickness and the weight of the paper. Some papers are thick and need to be manually fed through a printer. Others are heavy or light weight. I try to stick with papers that are 260 grams or heavier, but at 320+ grams they normally require sheets to be fed manually. There are papers that are just 190-210 grams - but they are very light weight to the touch and I avoid them for photos.

As you can see, there are lots of options. Each manufacturer has variations on these parameters with small differences.

My suggestion is to start with something generic and relatively inexpensive but not cheap - Epson Premium Luster is my starting point since it matches my printer well and that eliminates some variables. I also use Canson Baryta and a handful of other papers, but added those slowly over time. At this point, you probably don't know enough to buy more than one or two papers. :)

Last edited:
I'd pick a supplier and get their sample pack. Once you determine finish, thickness, weight, whiteness, etc. you're after you can always look into other supplier's offerings. There is service to help you choose which paper to choose.... it's called "Remote Inkjet Paper Psychotherapy Session" https://www.freestylephoto.com/999429-Remote-Inkjet-Paper-Psychotherapy-Session Never used it and don't know anything more that what's on the web page. I do know Eric Joesph to be very reliable and very knowledgable. I would be interested to know if anyone has used tried this and how it worked out.

I'd pick a supplier and get their sample pack. Once you determine finish, thickness, weight, whiteness, etc. you're after you can always look into other supplier's offerings. There is service to help you choose which paper to choose.... it's called "Remote Inkjet Paper Psychotherapy Session" https://www.freestylephoto.com/999429-Remote-Inkjet-Paper-Psychotherapy-Session Never used it and don't know anything more that what's on the web page. I do know Eric Joesph to be very reliable and very knowledgeable. I would be interested to know if anyone has used tried this and how it worked out.
I don't think a sample set of prints is a good idea for someone new to printing their own work. There are still variables - each image needs to be optimized when editing for the paper selected. You would not want to print an image edited for a glossy or luster paper on a matte paper. This is a much better value for someone who prints on a a specific set of papers for a specific look and wants consulting help with the alternatives. While you can use a profile and render an image ready to print on a specific paper, you still need to edit it with the look appropriate for that paper.

For example, you would not want to print on a paper known for great detail in shadows unless your image had good shadow detail and your edit also emphasized those shadows. A tight grain paper such as a baryta is fine, but I'd want to evaluate it using a B&W image that could take advantage of the paper or a color image that had detail that would be helped with a fine texture.

Said another way, look at some images in a museum or gallery, and pay attention to the paper that was used, why it does or does not work for the image, and how that could translate into your work.

In looking at papers, consider the value of the work and the price point it should carry. If you are printing 4x6 and 5x7 images on a small printer, you want a relatively inexpensive paper - probably in sheets that match well to the image size you want. If you are printing fine art images in large sizes, you want a much more robust paper and the more expensive papers would be viable. For perspective, an 8.5x11 sheet costs anywhere from 60 cents for Epson Ultra Premium Luster to $1.30 or more for Hahnemuhle Photo Pearl or $1.55 per sheet for Canson Infinity Baryta.

If you are not sure, keep it with a single, basic paper until you know. It would be like making the photo without deciding your subject and what you wanted to say. There are hundreds of options for papers - each of which can suggest different post processing. Pick one or two papers and just use them until you have a clear need for something different.

Gloss emphasizes sharpness, sharp detail, and high resolution. The downside is reflections, fingerprints, and in some cases a common "drugstore print" feel. This paper is not commonly used by professionals these days but has in the past.

Luster eliminates or reduces some of the negatives of gloss paper. The finish is a little softer and less reflective, but it shows the image nicely. I'd put in this category very fine textured papers such as velvet finishes as an upgrade. You could put Baryta papers in this category. Both velvet and baryta papers are very smooth but don't have the glare of gloss. Sharpness is still seen in your image, but does not dominate. Metallic papers fall into this category.

Matte papers, fiber, and canvas all are textured papers. The paper becomes part of the image. Hot press fiber tends to be smoother than cold press. These are art papers that are often sheets only rather than rolls. The papers have a heavier feel to the touch. You can use these papers to convey the feel of a watercolor, an oil painting, or to minimize reflection.

Another aspect to this is the degree of whiteness in the paper. Papers have measurements of the reflective properties or the brightness of the paper itself. The catch is the whiteness is achieved with optical brighteners, and these brighteners fade in time with exposure to UV light. When the brighteners fade, the image can become dingy and lack contrast. So print life becomes a factor - especially dependent on where the photo is displayed. You may still want bright paper with optical brighteners - just avoid display in a bright area or with harsh lighting.

Paper weight is another factor. You have both paper thickness and the weight of the paper. Some papers are thick and need to be manually fed through a printer. Others are heavy or light weight. I try to stick with papers that are 260 grams or heavier, but at 320+ grams they normally require sheets to be fed manually. There are papers that are just 190-210 grams - but they are very light weight to the touch and I avoid them for photos.

As you can see, there are lots of options. Each manufacturer has variations on these parameters with small differences.

My suggestion is to start with something generic and relatively inexpensive but not cheap - Epson Premium Luster is my starting point since it matches my printer well and that eliminates some variables. I also use Canson Baryta and a handful of other papers, but added those slowly over time. At this point, you probably don't know enough to buy more than one or two papers. :)
I agree with Eric's synopsis here, it is well described.

My 'two bobs worth' is I'd add texture as an additional element to print media; finish, whiteness and weight. I predominantly print landscapes much more than wildlife images. I find in many landscape scenes a lightly textured media adds value to the printed image. It is subjective to each particular image and of course, one's personal taste.

For this I use Canson Edition Etching Rag paper. I'm sure there are many equivalent brands out there, just for me this one is readily accessible here in Australia.

Good morning.
“When” What are emphasizing?

For about $900 whats the reason you chose it over the epson? which is cheaper to replace ink

Thanks
Hi, the when was emphasized to show if I wanted a print at 3am, I could have it and not have to wait for a lab. I have had both Canon and Epson printers and I prefer the output of the Canons. The ink prices are quite expensive right now but should come down in price over time.

Wow! Thanks Eric for all these explanations. I am new in printing and I bought s
some samples from different compagnie to try them. your reply help me to understand all the difference between the thickness, the weight and the brightness and what they are for. Thank you

Eric, I am now even more clueless about paper, and my fear of getting the wrong paper is real.

Let’s brake it down. Tell me if I am making sense here.

3 categories.
1) just get the print done and should look ok.
2) the print should be high quality, with normal paper, like Lusture. No fancy coatings or specifics.
3) a specialty paper for a specific need or look that requires planning before editing.

I would go for 2, with a good balance for Portraiture and landscape, but a higher quality one compared to WHCC prints

after a year home printing, I can begin experimenting with more specialized scene specific papers.

Eric, I am now even more clueless about paper, and my fear of getting the wrong paper is real.

3 categories.
2) the print should be high quality, with normal paper, like Lusture. No fancy coatings or specifics.
3) a specialty paper for a specific need or look that requires planning before editing.

I would go for 2, with a good balance for Portraiture and landscape, but a higher quality one compared to WHCC prints

after a year home printing, I can begin experimenting with more specialized scene specific papers.
Canon pro luster paper is a good all around paper I use for general purpose printing

red river palo duro baryta fiber 300 is what I use for art

I would not assume one would automatically get better results than a pro shop like whcc, bay photo, finerworks, Digital Silver Imaging, etc. Part depends on what product is chosen. But they have done the work of profiling their printers and papers and also have large format printers and RIP software.

This is a followup from a webinar Glyn Dewis did for Calibrite. I wish I could post the recording from the original webinar but couldn't figure out how to link it. Anyway he is demonstrating monitor calibration as well as printing on both the Epson and Canon printer. Worthwhile I think.

Last edited:

3 categories.

Hi Joel

I think you have the options figured out pretty well. Option 2 is a very good starting point - both to cost effectively approach the subject and to produce good prints. It's also very cost effective. Something like the Epson Ultra Premium Luster - or similar papers and weights from other manufacturers - would be a good starting point. Unless you have a good reason otherwise, using Epson paper on an Epson Printer or Canon paper on a Canon printer is likely a good approach. It eliminates variables when you are learning your equipment and technique. I'd stick with one paper for six months or so before branching out and experimenting. It's pretty easy to get distracted and start experimenting with papers prematurely - before you have basic printing mastered.

Hi Joel

I think you have the options figured out pretty well. Option 2 is a very good starting point - both to cost effectively approach the subject and to produce good prints. It's also very cost effective. Something like the Epson Ultra Premium Luster - or similar papers and weights from other manufacturers - would be a good starting point. Unless you have a good reason otherwise, using Epson paper on an Epson Printer or Canon paper on a Canon printer is likely a good approach. It eliminates variables when you are learning your equipment and technique. I'd stick with one paper for six months or so before branching out and experimenting. It's pretty easy to get distracted and start experimenting with papers prematurely - before you have basic printing mastered.
Good advice. More important than selecting an individual paper is learning how to optimize (process) images to produce the best quality prints. While there is a plethora of information regarding calibration and color management (which is fairly cut and dried), the amount of information related to image optimization is rather sparse beyond sharpening, resizing, etc. Understanding and maximizing print tonality and color fidelity are infinitely more important than (though are dependent upon) individual paper choices.

Back