Camera Gear and Cars

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a 2016 Cherokee with the Trailhawk package plus Jeep's installed towing package. My six cylinder Jeep will tow up to 5,000 lbs. Currently I pull an off-road camper with it. I have yet to meet a situation that my Jeep could not conquer. I do not worry about losing gear. I have erected enough barriers to keep the casual thief at bay. Anyone who really wants to steal your stuff will do it.

I sold my car this week and am shopping for my next vehicle which will be centered around my three hobbies of shooting guns, fishing and photography. I am leaning towards an SUV over a truck and if I go the SUV route I am debating between a full-size or midsize. It will be a 4x4 model, I will do some mods to it improve clearance, lighting and tires. I want to be able to access off the beaten path via forest roads, trails but not looking to take it rock crawling. It will be a vehicle that is a daily driver however capable for long trips and backcountry (see what I did there lol ;)).

So with that out of the way I am curious if any of you have done the same and what do you do to store your gear? I am considering either a custom build rear storage system or an off the shelf drawer system. I am thinking camera gear on one side and recovery, food and camping gear on the other side. If camping I see it as a 1-3 day limit and than staying in a hotel etc.

I would like to be able to safely leave my vehicle with some gear in it while say hiking, eating etc. If going to a hotel I would take the gear in with me. I am thinking drawers that will accommodate my bags so they are an insert and if pulling gear out it is simply zip up the bag and go.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and any pics of what your solution has been.
I am an ex- drift boat guide, and long range driver to work and back. (100 miles a day for 17 years). In all of the boat trips and travel, I packed gear. Winter gear, fishing gear, Food for clients. Always had my camera gear with me. Problems of all kinds, water tight, but accessable. Heat in the jeep during summer. Keeping things hidden from theives when not around the boat or jeep. Packing the cameras was always the biggest issue. My number one most regretable error I made was when I changed to a new SUV. I used to drive a Ford Expidition. I loved that thing for 2 reasons. I was up high when looking out the passenger window, and one tripod leg would slide down in between passenger seat and center console allowing the other two legs to anchor on other surfaces. I did a lot of road hunting, (camera), for Whitetail on the way to work. It was rock steady. I could drive with camera mounted. Foul weather or not. Just pull up, shut off motor, drop window, frame and shoot. Many of those, only have a second to shoot situations became keepers instead of the old but wave.
When I bought the next SUV....... never checked it. My current Jeep won't let me either. There are a ton of solutions I know but that was still the best. I like coolers for the camera gear. Protect from sudden temp changes, easy to move, you can build custom shelves around them and they make great slide in and out drawers. Or, stack on top and around them no fear of your gear getting banged around. You get an invite to jump in someone elses SUV, grab one cooler and go. Your sure you have everything. It will be a big cooler so you can sit on it. Best security you can get.

I posted before I had a chance to look through all the other responses. Wow.... I thought I was bad. You guys are in this deep. Warning....
I almost ended up divorced over fishing and bowhunting. I hope your taking your honey on some of these trips!!! My wife and her BFF actually follwed me to the stream to check what I was doing. When I got home she told me "Your the most boring man on the planet". I guess they sat it out for the whole Mayfly hatch. Lasted all night.
I must have caught 5 browns over 18 inches. She was a bit miffed.

If I was looking at new vehicles for this primary purpose, I’d be looking at trucks with 6 1/2 foot box and adding either a fiberglass topper or canvass one. A full size suv would probably work as well, but a truck is better at being multi purpose. The back could be setup to accommodate sleeping and storage. I’ve done rooftop tents on my suv and it works fine but it’s honestly a pain when it rains when you want to move the vehicle or pack up so having everything in the bed of the truck and being able to drive off without breakdown is a must now. I looked at some suvs in the past for this purpose and just didn’t find what I was looking for. You could go 3/4 or 1 ton as well, fill the same purpose and have the truck in case you decide to buy the camper earlier. I’d say the sooner you can move towards your main goal the better and if you aren’t being forced to go into the office everyday, start now with what you can.

If a used LC 200 is out, then try a 4-runner. I had one and loved it, perfect for everything you describe and it's a true SUV (body-on-frame, solid rear axel). Lots of aftermarket for it too. The only downside is that they are a bit underpowered IMO, but it wasn't a big deal. I traded it in for the LC 200 in 2018, otherwise, I'd stile driving it.

If a used LC 200 is out, then try a 4-runner. I had one and loved it, perfect for everything you describe and it's a true SUV (body-on-frame, solid rear axel). Lots of aftermarket for it too. The only downside is that they are a bit underpowered IMO, but it wasn't a big deal. I traded it in for the LC 200 in 2018, otherwise, I'd stile driving it.
That is one on my list and I’ve had 3 4Runners over the years. They are underpowered but rock solid vehicles. I’m leaning towards the new 2023 Sequioa which is getting pretty close to a land cruiser. You’ve had trucks in the past as well. What do you think of that option?

Those are some large rigs being discussed. How are you all offsetting the carbon debits?
I’m not. Not to start a political thread but not something I’m concerned about. I work from home, don’t fly around the world like influencers or politicians talking about how we need to be more green while doing more polluting in a single trip than I do in a year. EV are not more friendly to the planet to produce. There is no free lunch. Pollute more to make it or drive it.

That is one on my list and I’ve had 3 4Runners over the years. They are underpowered but rock solid vehicles. I’m leaning towards the new 2023 Sequioa which is getting pretty close to a land cruiser. You’ve had trucks in the past as well. What do you think of that option?
Pickups can work, but for me, they are just too large. It's not that I can't drive 'em (I've owned some large super duty trucks and towed some large trailers), it's that I'm often in scenarios where I can't physically get a larger vehicle parked properly. In the national parks, you're supposed to be totally off the road - all four wheels. The bigger the rig, the tougher that is and I don't want to miss shots :) The LC 200 is about ideal for my wife and I. It's large enough for our gear, can tow up to 8400 pounds, and is still small enough to get into tight spots. I used my 4-runner more when I was shooting solo. Of course, a LOT of this depends on where you shoot - there are plenty of places where a full size pickup would work well and not have any issues with parking :) You could also look at something like the new Tacoma - those look pretty sweet too.

In addition, with pickups I find I'm far too paranoid about things in the bed, even with caps and covers. So, I end up jamming everything in the backseat, so that's less than ideal - especially when we have a lot of gear with us (we often have two complete systems in tow, although with lots of long glass). Of course, it's also nice to have a tripod fully extended in the back and ready to go. I can extend them in my LC 200, but it's not as easy to grab as a tripod just sitting in the open bed of a truck :)

Still, overall, I like the SUVs better. We also build a platform (large shelf) in the back of them, so tripods underneath on one side and other essentials on the other - all completely out of site. The rest goes on top or in the back (I took out the third row in the LC 200). You do have more overall space in the pickup, but it's wasted if not used.

Pickups can work, but for me, they are just too large. It's not that I can't drive 'em (I've owned some large super duty trucks and towed some large trailers), it's that I'm often in scenarios where I can't physically get a larger vehicle parked properly. In the national parks, you're supposed to be totally off the road - all four wheels. The bigger the rig, the tougher that is and I don't want to miss shots :) The LC 200 is about ideal for my wife and I. It's large enough for our gear, can tow up to 8400 pounds, and is still small enough to get into tight spots. I used my 4-runner more when I was shooting solo. Of course, a LOT of this depends on where you shoot - there are plenty of places where a full size pickup would work well and not have any issues with parking :) You could also look at something like the new Tacoma - those look pretty sweet too.

In addition, with pickups I find I'm far too paranoid about things in the bed, even with caps and covers. So, I end up jamming everything in the backseat, so that's less than ideal - especially when we have a lot of gear with us (we often have two complete systems in tow, although with lots of long glass). Of course, it's also nice to have a tripod fully extended in the back and ready to go. I can extend them in my LC 200, but it's not as easy to grab as a tripod just sitting in the open bed of a truck :)

Still, overall, I like the SUVs better. We also build a platform (large shelf) in the back of them, so tripods underneath on one side and other essentials on the other - all completely out of site. The rest goes on top or in the back (I took out the third row in the LC 200). You do have more overall space in the pickup, but it's wasted if not used.
Exact same thought process I’ve had. I’m also traveling with two full sets and big glass as me and my spouse travel together. Beyond just TX where size isn’t much of an issue we do plan to travel to parks such as Yellowstone next year.

I’ve had the big trucks as well and you’re right parking can be a real pain.

Good point. I'm waiting to replace my T4 Weekender until an electric AWD version is available. Until then I'll use it only when the e-bike (powered by the solar panels on the barn roof) isn't appropriate.
Yes, it is something I have been thinking about quite a lot lately. Governments won't provide solutions it seems. It is not just carbon, the planet is in rather rapid decline on a number of fronts. I am too old and too privileged to be impacted by it in a major way in my lifetime but my kids and their offspring most certainly will be.
Of course I am a shocking hypocrite too; I still live the same nature-destroying lifestyle with only a few concessions made around the margins.

Yes, it is something I have been thinking about quite a lot lately. Governments won't provide solutions it seems. It is not just carbon, the planet is in rather rapid decline on a number of fronts. I am too old and too privileged to be impacted by it in a major way in my lifetime but my kids and their offspring most certainly will be.
Of course I am a shocking hypocrite too; I still live the same nature-destroying lifestyle with only a few concessions made around the margins.

The unprecedented heat wave this coming week, expected to establish new high temperature records, suggests that the impacts have already begun.

Ditto on the hobbies! It's a great three-some of hobbies! I use an F350 diesel.....but only because I am pulling a 42' 5th wheel! :)

When we disconnect, we have a cover over the truck bed that locks. Gear is either on the back seat in a TT Airport Accelerator, with the 600mm in its own case behind the driver's seat or locked in a locked container in the truck bed.

But if we weren't pulling, I'd use a medium to large SUV. This should be a fun thread!

Ram 3500 quad cab long bed for the same reason. The only downside is the noisy diesel but if you drive by your query and shut off the engine you can carefully walk back for an image.

I have talked to professional outdoor photographers who use long bed vans with a platform on the roof. They have lots of room for gear and they can just roll out a sleeping bag wherever they happen to stop. A couple of years ago in the Tetons Fall was in full color. The parking areas looked like a van convention.

Ram 3500 quad cab long bed for the same reason. The only downside is the noisy diesel but if you drive by your query and shut off the engine you can carefully walk back for an image.

I have talked to professional outdoor photographers who use long bed vans with a platform on the roof. They have lots of room for gear and they can just roll out a sleeping bag wherever they happen to stop. A couple of years ago in the Tetons Fall was in full color. The parking areas looked like a van convention.
We had a Ram 3500 diesel before this F350. The 350 is pretty quiet - for a diesel. No comparison, though, to the Prius. LOL!

Well it’s got to be my daily driver and fit in my garage so no van life here lol

A problem with any SUV is that it is difficult to keep gear out of sight and any metal storage boxes, like the ones used in police vehicles, is that they are too small even for most tripods much less arifle or fishing poles.

My last vehicle was a large SUV that had a cargo area large enough to fit two road bikes with the wheels left one. In terms of secure storage there was nothing that would work. A half measure I used was to buy a "pet bridge" that attaches to the front and middle row headrests. This covered the floor at the middle row seats and more could be kept out of sight. With the pandemic ending our overseas travel I wanted to go back to a solution that has worked perfectly for us in the past.

That solution is a crew cab pickup truck with a 6.5 ft bed and a metal locking truck tool box. The two drawers are each 70" x 24" x 14" deep and they lock. I lined them with closed cell neoprene and put in metal dividers to create smaller compartments. With the tailgate down the drawers are supported when pulled out and I have no problems getting to the back of the drawers. The only way to break into the drawers is to open the locked tailgate and then drill out the locks on each of the drawers.

I have a fiberglass topper or shell on the truck and I have black fabric curtains over the windows. No one can see inside the bed of the truck. I have used this approach for the past 45 years with multiple pickup trucks and have never had one broken into and I have had them parked at trail heads, campgrounds, hotel parking lots, and recreation areas.

The metal tool box was an upgrade and I installed it in my 2011 pickup that I sold in 2018. I bought a new truck in April and I have installed the truck tool box in it. I use eyebolts and turnbuckles to it is easy to remove the unit when I want the full back of the truck to haul very large items. The standard tool box has drawers that are 10 inches deep and I had one built with drawers that are 14 inches deep. The additional 4 inches of depth makes it possible to put much larger items inside the drawers.

When we would stay at a hotel/motel I could leave most of our travel and photo gear in the truck as I had not worries about anything being stolen. The loss can be covered by insurance but a break-in and theft would end our trip, and this assumes that something like a Z9 and 800mm PF lens or even my Gura Gear Bataflae 32L backpack can be readily replaced.

The alternative is an AWD van and adding special barriers between the passenger area and the cargo area and upgrading the rear door locks. Something like the Ford Transit AWD cargo van with the gas V-6. The most economical alternative though is a Subaru Outback AWD vehicle as they have plenty of ground clearane, a rear cargo area larger than nearly any SUV with their 3 row seating, and a metal lock box could be mounted inside, along with limo tinting on all the side and rear window glass and loud car alarm.

We sold our Class C motorhome earlier in the year and it was a good travel vehicle but not something I would take on dirt roads or trails. It is also very very easy to break into a motorhome and the basement storate compartments all use the same key.

https://truck-tool-box.com/truck-bed-toolbox

F-150 & Cap Side 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Cargo Drawers 2.jpg
Cargo Drawers 3.jpg

The unprecedented heat wave this coming week, expected to establish new high temperature records, suggests that the impacts have already begun.
Very true. The weather extremes we are currently seeing (droughts in some parts, floods in others) is exactly what scientists have been warning us about for years now. Anyway, back to the topic of favored monster truck....

Back