Camera Gear and Cars

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I sold my car this week and am shopping for my next vehicle which will be centered around my three hobbies of shooting guns, fishing and photography. I am leaning towards an SUV over a truck and if I go the SUV route I am debating between a full-size or midsize. It will be a 4x4 model, I will do some mods to it improve clearance, lighting and tires. I want to be able to access off the beaten path via forest roads, trails but not looking to take it rock crawling. It will be a vehicle that is a daily driver however capable for long trips and backcountry (see what I did there lol ;)).

So with that out of the way I am curious if any of you have done the same and what do you do to store your gear? I am considering either a custom build rear storage system or an off the shelf drawer system. I am thinking camera gear on one side and recovery, food and camping gear on the other side. If camping I see it as a 1-3 day limit and than staying in a hotel etc.

I would like to be able to safely leave my vehicle with some gear in it while say hiking, eating etc. If going to a hotel I would take the gear in with me. I am thinking drawers that will accommodate my bags so they are an insert and if pulling gear out it is simply zip up the bag and go.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and any pics of what your solution has been.
Each one of my cameras has its own bag that includes lenses, batteries, sd cards etc. The camera(s) stay with me always and the gear is with me or safely stored and locked away. I try to take and use one bag at a time.

If you travel forest roads, consider the turning radius of you next vehicle. It isn't unusual to find that you must turn around on a narrow road. I have a Mercedes SUV not only for the back roads but for long trips where comfort is important. I haven't had a problem with clearance yet, though one time I had to stop and move a large rock off the road. Front and back cameras on the vehicle are extremely helpful if you don't have a passenger who will get out and give guidance where turning around. Probably the worse vehicle choice would be a Hummer. They are too wide for narrow roads.
As you may know, it can be easy to get lost following forest roads. In our area the US Forest Service roads are usually signed at intersections, but the BLM roads often are not. The driver of a tanker truck used in fire fighting gave the best advice: use both GPS and a map. The map will show what road you want to be on and the GPS should confirm it.

I sold my car this week and am shopping for my next vehicle which will be centered around my three hobbies of shooting guns, fishing and photography. I am leaning towards an SUV over a truck and if I go the SUV route I am debating between a full-size or midsize. It will be a 4x4 model, I will do some mods to it improve clearance, lighting and tires. I want to be able to access off the beaten path via forest roads, trails but not looking to take it rock crawling. It will be a vehicle that is a daily driver however capable for long trips and backcountry (see what I did there lol ;)).

So with that out of the way I am curious if any of you have done the same and what do you do to store your gear? I am considering either a custom build rear storage system or an off the shelf drawer system. I am thinking camera gear on one side and recovery, food and camping gear on the other side. If camping I see it as a 1-3 day limit and than staying in a hotel etc.

I would like to be able to safely leave my vehicle with some gear in it while say hiking, eating etc. If going to a hotel I would take the gear in with me. I am thinking drawers that will accommodate my bags so they are an insert and if pulling gear out it is simply zip up the bag and go.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and any pics of what your solution has been.
Let me offer you some personal life experience for whatever it's worth to you in making your shopping decision.

I've own lots of SUV/pickups for exactly your purposes and every one I owned had the same problem. Secure storage. No SUV that I ever owned had a secure trunk to lock up thousands of dollars worth of easy to walk away with property. The only solution I ever came up with were a full sized 4x4 pickups with expensive work boxes that it would require a cutting torch and a fair amount of time to break open.

With most SUVs I've found the best practice is to buy great insurance and simply leave the doors unlocked so thieves don't have break any glass and make you drive home in the heat or cold with an open window after they steal your gear or guns or tackle.

This almost reads like a fairy tale but a long, long, long ago I lived in northern Wisconsin and Alaska and the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. I drove rag top jeeps at times and other SUVs and lived in the woods several places and left rifles and shotguns in rifle racks or laying on the floor, all my tackle and cameras in them everywhere I went. You could also leave the doors to your home open without worry but the places I lived were small and people respected and looked out for one another. That world died in America a long time ago sadly. The same woods that I lived in and spent time in every day are now home to meth labs and inner-city gangsters cooking up poison to take back to the city. Keep a gun on the seat next to you no matter how safe you feel in any woods anywhere in America today.

As far as motel/hotel parking lots go, I was staying in Twitty City right down the road from Dollywood (how about those names!) on the way back from a golf and fishing month in Florida one year and came out of my room in the morning to find every trunk in the parking lot open with the locks drilled out and my truck cap door wide open. Police told me later that a van with a crew of thieves worked their way down each side of the motel under bright lights and methodically broke into every vehicle. They were doing it regularly because tourists were easy targets. The only thing that wasn't gone was what I had taken into my room. My vehicle was parked 6 feet from the door to my room and I never heard a thing. That was a very long time ago and the insurance loss was almost 3 grand.

It's a sad world and my opinion is that the only way to protect your gear is to buy something with the toughest storage that will take so much time for thieves to break into that they will move on to a simpler smash and grab target, which includes every SUV that I know of. Nothing you buy to put into the back of an SUV that isn't permanently attached to the frame of your vehicle will prevent a talented thief from removing it quicker than it took you to install it and sadly secure looking devices are a red flag that thieves look for that tells then there is something worth stealing inside. Stainless steel boxes that would take a long time to burn through with a torch and with unopenable locks would be high on my list. And, of course, buy great insurance from a reputable company.

Be careful.

We have a GX460 in the states which is just a higher end 4runner but also has a weird rear door that opens to the side. For the LC it is the LX600 however way over priced and frankly to fancy with big wheels for what I want to do with it. I was pretty set on buying a Land Cruiser this year but with them discontinuing it and the used market on them went crazy that is just not happening. So I am leaning towards the 2023 Sequioa which is pretty close to a LC and a limited with TRD package is $70K which is my budget cap.
I spent a couple of weeks with a photographer that really likes his Sequioa. We took it into some pretty rough areas and it just trudged along. It has a lot of space and was really nice on the highway too. If I had budget and garage space, I would trade of my Ford Escape for one of these. As it is, I just have to be content with going places that don't require 4 wheel drive. Good luck with decision!

There is a backcountry area that I like to visit and it is 60 miles from the pavement on a poorly maintained dirt road. With my 4x4 mini truck it would take me 3 hours to get to the camping spot. One time I got there and found someone had arrived with their Class C motorhome, so 4WD was clearly not essential or a short wheel base.

The USFS subsidizes the logging companies but putting in the roads for their logging trucks and so the turns need to be wide enough that a tractor with a 40' long trailer load of logs can make the turn at speed.

It has been illegal for many years to replace the factory gas tank with an aftermarket one. A transfer tank can be installed in the bed of the truck but that has its own issues. No problems with putting in a large diesel fuel tank but with more mpg with diesel it is less of a concern than with gas powered vehicles.

Many people buy a Class C motorhome and tow a Jeep Wrangler behind it to have more options but then they are limited as to where they can park and where they can camp with their very long rig.

Always trade-offs involved. For me I put a priority on the security of my gear in the vehicle as a break-in would end my trip and good luck finding a replacement Z9 or 800mm PF if they were stolen. Even replacing my Gura Gear Bataflae 32L backpack would be a problem and entail shopping for a used on on eBay.

There is a backcountry area that I like to visit and it is 60 miles from the pavement on a poorly maintained dirt road. With my 4x4 mini truck it would take me 3 hours to get to the camping spot. One time I got there and found someone had arrived with their Class C motorhome, so 4WD was clearly not essential or a short wheel base.

Turning around on a forest road is also a concern and for that a short wheelbase is very handy. What does the driver of a Class C motorhome do if the road is impassible because a section has been washed out? Potentially a lot of backing up until an adequate turn-around spot is reached.

There’s been quite a lot written here on this subject so I don’t know how helpful my additional comments might be, but here goes. I just completed a 6 week plus, 9000 mile trip from West Virginia to Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NPs, with numerous stops along the way and back, carrying all my photo and computer gear, tools, clothes, etc., driving some uneven and bumpy dirt and gravel roads some amount of time, and even sleeping occasionally in the rear compartment with all that gear stacked up next to me.

I was driving a 2020 Toyota 4Runner, Ltd, which is built on a truck frame unlike most SUVs, with the rear seats folded down, and while a little cramped to sleep in, the vehicle was perfect for the trip and easy to photograph out of and access my photo gear. I had 2-Z9s, a 600 mm f/4E, a bulky RRS tripod and far more lenses and gear than I either needed or used.

I did it by compartmentalizing everything. I bought a couple of Pelican cases with the Trek PAC case dividers and did my daily photographic work out of those cases, which easily stacked on top of each other when I needed additional room or to access cases behind them. Had two cameras within easy reach on the passenger side and the 600 ready to go in the back connected to the tripod or one camera up front and the other on the 600 in back, depending on what I was anticipating. Had a separate case for computer, electronic, and backup gear. Also had a suitcase for clothes, and a medium sized case loaded with tools for the car and cameras. It worked perfectly. Only thing I would do differently is have bought instead of the Ltd model 4Runner, I’d have used the TRD off road model, which I’ve owned previously, and have on order now for the future. The Off Road has some rock climbing ability and a stiffer suspension, etc.

Toyota no longer makes an 8 cylinder engine in any model, I’ve recently learned, which was a disappointment, but the 6 is ok. As Steve says, it sometimes feels a little underpowered but it did just fine. Very comfortable to drive. Only thing that happened to me on the trip was a cracked windshield and scratches from getting to close to bushes, which I compounded out. Only limiting factor is its towing capacity. Maximum towing capacity is only 5000 lbs.

So, I vote Toyota 4Runner, TRD, Off Road.

Just a side note. Someone commented that insurance would cover photo equipment stolen out of a car when left overnight. Car insurance, even one with comprehensive, frequently, usually, will not cover personal property stolen from a car, particularly if left overnight. Homeowners or renters insurance may cover, but not likely, and so I suggest checking with your insurance company before assuming you’d be covered. Most homeowners and renters insurance will not cover photographic equipment. Because of this, I carry additional “Valuable Personal Property” insurance for my camera gear and guns. Even at that, I’m not at all sure that the policy would cover “unprotected” photo gear left in a vehicle overnight. In my case, I did not leave my gear in the car overnight if I wasn’t sleeping with it. Just a thought for consideration

There’s been quite a lot written here on this subject so I don’t know how helpful my additional comments might be, but here goes. I just completed a 6 week plus, 9000 mile trip from West Virginia to Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NPs, with numerous stops along the way and back, carrying all my photo and computer gear, tools, clothes, etc., driving some uneven and bumpy dirt and gravel roads some amount of time, and even sleeping occasionally in the rear compartment with all that gear stacked up next to me.

I was driving a 2020 Toyota 4Runner, Ltd, which is built on a truck frame unlike most SUVs, with the rear seats folded down, and while a little cramped to sleep in, the vehicle was perfect for the trip and easy to photograph out of and access my photo gear. I had 2-Z9s, a 600 mm f/4E, a bulky RRS tripod and far more lenses and gear than I either needed or used.

I did it by compartmentalizing everything. I bought a couple of Pelican cases with the Trek PAC case dividers and did my daily photographic work out of those cases, which easily stacked on top of each other when I needed additional room or to access cases behind them. Had two cameras within easy reach on the passenger side and the 600 ready to go in the back connected to the tripod or one camera up front and the other on the 600 in back, depending on what I was anticipating. Had a separate case for computer, electronic, and backup gear. Also had a suitcase for clothes, and a medium sized case loaded with tools for the car and cameras. It worked perfectly. Only thing I would do differently is have bought instead of the Ltd model 4Runner, I’d have used the TRD off road model, which I’ve owned previously, and have on order now for the future. The Off Road has some rock climbing ability and a stiffer suspension, etc.

Toyota no longer makes an 8 cylinder engine in any model, I’ve recently learned, which was a disappointment, but the 6 is ok. As Steve says, it sometimes feels a little underpowered but it did just fine. Very comfortable to drive. Only thing that happened to me on the trip was a cracked windshield and scratches from getting to close to bushes, which I compounded out. Only limiting factor is its towing capacity. Maximum towing capacity is only 5000 lbs.

Just a side note. Someone commented that insurance would cover photo equipment stolen out of a car when left overnight. Car insurance, even one with comprehensive, frequently, usually, will not cover personal property stolen from a car, particularly if left overnight. Homeowners or renters insurance may cover, but not likely, and so I suggest checking with your insurance company before assuming you’d be covered. Most homeowners and renters insurance will not cover photographic equipment. Because of this, I carry additional “Valuable Personal Property” insurance for my camera gear and guns. Even at that, I’m not at all sure that the policy would cover “unprotected” photo gear left in a vehicle overnight. In my case, I did not leave my gear in the car overnight if I wasn’t sleeping with it. Just a thought for consideration
We are looking at a Highlander hybrid to replace our 3rd Prius. Very little off roading..... mainly everyday stuff. A step up from the 4 Runner - but still very capable.

2016 Audi Q5 TDI here. I live in WA state, do a fair bit of backpacking and haven’t come across any dirt roads that have challenged it yet. Gets better than 30 mpg on the highway at 80 mph and with a 19+ gallon tank has way more range than my bladder does. Very comfortable for long distances. Plenty of room in the back for gear, including a fair amount under the cargo area. Only bad thing is the price of diesel lately!

2016 Audi Q5 TDI here. I live in WA state, do a fair bit of backpacking and haven’t come across any dirt roads that have challenged it yet. Gets better than 30 mpg on the highway at 80 mph and with a 19+ gallon tank has way more range than my bladder does. Very comfortable for long distances. Plenty of room in the back for gear, including a fair amount under the cargo area. Only bad thing is the price of diesel lately!
Nice!

FWIW, I usually drive a Jeep JK two door for solo photo trips (and a Transit camper van for longer or family trips) and though I really like the Jeep for rough roads, ability to park in tiny spaces and overall versatility it's not ideal for car-blind photo work. Sure it's small and easy to park on the side of a road and a pretty good height for a lot of roadside wildlife work but there's not a ton of room on the passenger seat or back seat for a big lens setup while driving. Granted mine is a stick shift so I lose some room between the seats an automatic might have but with a camera mounted to my 600mm f/4, especially with the lens hood in shooting position, there's not a ton of space to drive with the big rig set up and ready for shooting.

Of course shooting something like the 500mm PF it's no trouble at all but compared to a Ford Explorer I used as a shooting vehicle for years it's a bit cramped and of course if I keep the back seat in the Jeep (I often remove it as I don't carry back seat passengers very often in that vehicle) there's not a lot of storage room back there.

Still, the Jeep is pretty great for the places I can take it and other than room for big gear is a ton of fun:
View attachment 45810
I was never brave enough, nor confident enough, to be out on a road like that with that much snow and/or ice covering it. And I know that in Wyoming, it could just be your driveway!

I use a Range Rover Evoque. My day job takes me to out of the way places like wind farms, (ours are not on the flat and usually up a mountain in Scotland), and electrical substations and the Evoque deals with it pretty well. Any time I have camera gear in it, it comes with me when I park up. It has given me a measured 42mpg average, goes anywhere I point it and the turning circle is excellent.
It replaced a Freelander 2 and a Freelander 1, which were both great off roaders, plus the Evoque is an excellent and very comfortable road car.
Unfortunately, if I were to be caught running around with any firearms in it, the occupants of a Police BMW X5, would pretty soon introduce a Heckler & Koch G36 to my nostrils...!

Also a JLUR here. If you’re handy with a soldering iron, you can put a bar across the sloping parts of the rear rollover bars. From that you can attach cages or whatever you like. All it takes are two 10M 1.5” bolts. That’s actually where the soft top brackets go…but in England I never go topless 🤭
What not even during this summer we just had. Shame on you.

I was never brave enough, nor confident enough, to be out on a road like that with that much snow and/or ice covering it. And I know that in Wyoming, it could just be your driveway!
Yeah, it's actually our local ski resort and not generally a road folks drive but I was working setup for the winter season and drove up and down a few times ferrying tools and equipment. It's actually a ski run during the winter season and then we only drive snowcats and snowmobiles up it though I've skied a bunch of rescue sleds down it when necessary :)

I spent a couple of weeks with a photographer that really likes his Sequioa. We took it into some pretty rough areas and it just trudged along. It has a lot of space and was really nice on the highway too. If I had budget and garage space, I would trade of my Ford Escape for one of these. As it is, I just have to be content with going places that don't require 4 wheel drive. Good luck with decision!
It’s at the top of my list for sure. I’m fortunate that I have a 3 car garage and it’s 37’ deep :).

I cant suggest a solution, i can share what i do for security foremost ........

I have a sedan very large Ford Fairlane.
Large Hi Ace Van

I disconnect the remote boot switch in the dash, I hide the loom inside the dash a 2 minute adjustment, the boot has a large LPG gas tank that denies access to the boot via the rear seats tilting forward, basically it becomes a secure locked boot or box, only key access works, now remotes work the boot.
The only way in is with special lock stripper like a seal puller, or a long hard screwdriver and very large hammer, to over come that i have a half inch flat steal strip that comes down like a tongue through a slit to which when really needed I slip a padlock on the end, it sounds complicated but dead easy, its safe and very secure, not just for camera gear but wallets house keys money what ever.

We can do our 4 hour bush walks etc and feel safe about it.

The other thing we do is leave the glove box open and empty, the centre console open and empty, a large note on the dash saying there is nothing in this vehicle please be nice have a great day.
We usually check for broken glass on the ground where ever we park if we see a lot of glass we move on.

At our local bush walk and national park the thieves hit it regularly, they have a scout up the road on watch for police as its a long way in, the thieves in a matter of minutes hit 10 15 cars selectively, always smashing the passenger widow rifling the glove box and centre console looking for wallets especially house keys cash phones any items of value its all done in 5 minutes in broad daylight even at times with bystanders, we see signs in national parks that say lock your vehicle leave no valuables.

As to the new Hi Ace Van i will be making a large steel draw under the bed with a quality security lock and hidden safety small dowel rod, this will hold all valuables that are put away before we even park as thieves often are watching already sitting in another vehicle waiting for you to leave on your walk. We also leave the glove box and centre console empty and open with the note on display.

Its something the police suggest and it seems to work more than not they say for the fast smash and grab thieves.

Above all a good insurance policy and be over insured is the best bet as long as they, make certain your partner takes their keys with them always.

Only an experience ............

4Runner if I go midsize is at the top of the list. I’ve owned 3 4Runners over the years going way back to 1992, 1997, 2001. I have always liked Toyota. While never bleeding edge tech they tend to build a good vehicle. The one I sold was a Toyota and put on 92k trouble free miles in 4 years. Oil change and one set of tires. Didn’t even have to do the breaks yet.
I’m leaning 2023 Sequoia as the extra size and HP along with better MPG vs 4Runner seems to be a good combo.
Whatever I buy if Toyota will be a TRD. For 4Runner I’d go TRD Off-road Premium. I drove a TRD Pro 4Runner this year and hated the exhaust. I guess I’m old now because I found it rather annoying. I’d have to pay the $1k to replace it with the regular exhaust.
For Sequioa I would likely do a Limited with TRD and stereo upgrade. It’s a $1,350 package and call it a day. No pano roof as I’ll take the extra headroom and in TX those pano roofs sure don’t make hot sunny days any cooler inside.

Yeah, it's actually our local ski resort and not generally a road folks drive but I was working setup for the winter season and drove up and down a few times ferrying tools and equipment. It's actually a ski run during the winter season and then we only drive snowcats and snowmobiles up it though I've skied a bunch of rescue sleds down it when necessary :)
That definitely gives you a good need to be there in those conditions.

The only skiing I've ever done is the "behind a boat kind." Florida has neither the snow nor the mountains for the other kind.

4Runner if I go midsize is at the top of the list. I’ve owned 3 4Runners over the years going way back to 1992, 1997, 2001. I have always liked Toyota. While never bleeding edge tech they tend to build a good vehicle. The one I sold was a Toyota and put on 92k trouble free miles in 4 years. Oil change and one set of tires. Didn’t even have to do the breaks yet.
I’m leaning 2023 Sequoia as the extra size and HP along with better MPG vs 4Runner seems to be a good combo.
Whatever I buy if Toyota will be a TRD. For 4Runner I’d go TRD Off-road Premium. I drove a TRD Pro 4Runner this year and hated the exhaust. I guess I’m old now because I found it rather annoying. I’d have to pay the $1k to replace it with the regular exhaust.
For Sequioa I would likely do a Limited with TRD and stereo upgrade. It’s a $1,350 package and call it a day. No pano roof as I’ll take the extra headroom and in TX those pano roofs sure don’t make hot sunny days any cooler inside.
Here in OZ the number one selling vehicle is Toyota, we have for a population of 25 million they 250 service dealer ships, all the mining industry uses Toyota, parts are always in stock, Resale is incredible.
You pay a little more but its worth it, they are still rear wheel drive.

What we often do is hire a Toyota Land cruiser or Hi Lux if and when needed for any off road trips, which we don't do that often.

Love our 2022 SLWB HI ACE bed on wheels though now at 7 ltrs per 100 highway running 9 to 10.5 ltrs per 100 in city traffic, Auto diesel goes like a scolded cat, only carries a bed and camera gear.

Hi Lux's are the same in dependability popularity and resale as the Hi Ace.

Ford Rangers 4 wd are super popular but had Chinese bearing in the manual transmission that were failing, Ford wouldn't replace them with quality Japanese bearings and under warranty put the same Chinese bearings back in dealing with claims, according to my local gear box specialist who does a lot of the warranty work.

I guess what i am saying is Toyota is dam good especially here in OZ the only thing is they are not cheap.

I like the look of the Jeeps but know nothing about them.

Just found out the 2023 Highlanders will only offer a 2nd row bench seat in the lowest category of trim packages. Meaning if you want the Limited package you can only get 2 captains chairs in the 2nd row. Deal breaker for me...............

Your needs are more like mine used to be. I used to have to haul fishing, hunting and kayaking gear around but as my hobbies have changed, my wife joined me in retirement and we downsized our living space my vehicle was also downsized. But if others are in my smaller SUV mode here is my story.

I have lived in Idaho all my life and have spent many hours and miles on Idaho roads, any place a coyote can make a U turn qualifies as my uncle once wrote in one of his books.

I have had a wide range of vehicles startiing with a 53 chevy sedan, then a 63 VW and a Datsun 510 station wagon in my high school and college days. Then on to vairous 4x4 AWD vehicles. 1971 Ford Bronco, 1984 Ford Ranger 4x4 (had it for 20 years), Subaru outback, first year the outback was something other than a cosmetic paint job, amazing where I took that thing. Then a Land Rover Discovery for 10 years that thing went anywhere. Then a Toyota Highlander and then a Toyota RAV4 when my wife retired and we went to just one car our second car just sat around for weeks with the battery going dead.

Now I no longer hunt and fish and kayak and just moved on to birding and photography. I still snow shoe but have retired from DH (20 year volunteer at our local ski area) and XC skiing (my wife breaks to easily). I still spend a lot of time in the same high sage steppe, riparian and mountain areas but haul less gear.

I wanted a touch more ground clearance and rough road capability but not rock crawling and was considering a 4Runner. In 2020 the Toyota Dealer I had bought a couple of vehicles from contacted me and said they had a like new 9,500 miles Toyota Certified Used 2019 RAV4 Adventure that a guy from Minnesota had traded in for a three row rig when he moved here and his wife was expecgting their third kid. The 2019 Adventure model was not sold out here in idaho where it was sold as the TRD. The certified used was $6500 less than the 2020 RAV4 TRD I had considered. I switched to Falken tires (now stock on a lot oft the TRD's) I installed a rear hitch for a tow point. I have a lot of self rescue gear but have only used it for rescuing someone else so far.

I went with the RAV4 Adventure because I do not need more interior room, it goes everywhere I want to go handles great on pavement, gravel, washbords, dirt and rock roads etc. and gas mileage is significantly better than the 4runner and other larger Toyotas.

As someone else noted no SUV or other vehicle for that matter is totaly secure from thieves. I carry camera gear in the back seat or sometimes in the rear cargo area if we have a rare backseat passenger or two. I use Think Tank retroactive duffels for camera bags for vehicle travel for big lens and camera combo by putting 2 inch sleeping pad material cut to fit for the 600 f/4E and D6/D850 combo and now the Z9 and Z800pf which I put in the Z800 case and then into the duffel with other items. I use stash master photo cubes in a smaller retroactive duffel for carrying Z6II and various lenses and can carry actual duffel in the other end. I use think tank freeway long haul carry alls for emergency supplies and organizing battery jump starter, jacks, compressors, snatch straps, tools etc..

Back