Camera Gear and Cars

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I figure that if my car is worth more than my camera my priorities are out of order.
Funny! I sold a car I’ve had in service for many years for $15k. Car we kept is a fairly new luxury SUV but I’ve got north of $70k in camera gear, $45k in guns and a solid $10k in fishing crap. I’m still winning lol.

It gets me to access points to various national parks and from there on, its by foot. Not ideal I admit, but given the insane temperatures, drought and wildfires in Europe this summer, I figure it is another small contribution to protecting the wildlife and landscapes I want to photograph. I'm ever more actively pursuing ways to practice wildlife photography while minimising the environmental impact.
It's not like that in the USA or in much of North America. There are vast regions without rail service and national parks are only a small fraction of the wildlife areas.

My approach is to stay local for the majority of my photos, but many subjects are nowhere near local and nowhere near any kind of public transportation. I also have nightmares thinking of the security issues involved in carrying an a1 + 600 GM plus all the necessary camping equipment and supplies on public transportation (and then on foot).

Sadly a cruiser as much as I would love one isn’t on the list since they are well into the $100k range now.

Do you do anything special for transporting your gear with security in mind?
A Lexus GX470 is a great, less pricy alternative and easier to find. It's essentially an "LC-light." Sold as the LC Prado in rest of the world.

A Lexus GX470 is a great, less pricy alternative and easier to find. It's essentially an "LC-light." Sold as the LC Prado in rest of the world.
We have a GX460 in the states which is just a higher end 4runner but also has a weird rear door that opens to the side. For the LC it is the LX600 however way over priced and frankly to fancy with big wheels for what I want to do with it. I was pretty set on buying a Land Cruiser this year but with them discontinuing it and the used market on them went crazy that is just not happening. So I am leaning towards the 2023 Sequioa which is pretty close to a LC and a limited with TRD package is $70K which is my budget cap.

yeah they look good. I showed it to my spouse (Margaret) and she said "you can only go so far in Being Like Steve". I guess the '96 pathfinder will be in the driveway a bit longer.

Those look good too - I kinda forget they exist sometimes :) The new ones do look like they could be a LC replacement.
Yes it was a super old design until 2023 model year that should be on dealer lots this month. It is built on the same frame as LC, shares the Tundra and Lexus powertrain, and now with the TRD package and the TRD Pro model you have rear locking, advanced traction control like the 4runner and tacoma have had but newer version, hybrid so MPG is greatly improved over LC and short of a full time 4x4 system it has pretty much 98% of what LC has for off-road. It is slightly larger as well by a few inches.

Last edited:
Yes it was a super old design until 2023 model year that should be on dealer lots this month. It is built on the same frame as LC, shares the Tundra and Lexus powertrain, and now with the TRD package and the TRD Pro model you have rear locking, advanced traction control like the 4runner and tacoma have had but newer version, hybrid so MPG is greatly improved over LC and short of a full time 4x4 system it has pretty much 98% of what LC has for off-road. It is slightly larger as well by a few inches.
Always liked the Sequoias.

Not a fan of the GX460. The GX470 is a far more able truck but its sales ended in the US because of a non-existent rollover issue. The LX is just the LC100/200.

Toyota is not bringing the new LC300 to the US and these sell used for 2x retail price. But the version will make it here as an LX, except it has a very weird design.

Yes, I'm a Toyota fanboy. Got two LCs (200 and 78).

I have Jeep in mind but if I do I am thinking more along the lines of Grand Cherokee L Summit. I want something comfortable to drive to say Montana from TX. I am a bit worried about Jeep quality, have you had any issues? I have a budget of $70K or less for a truck/SUV.
I have an '18 Grand Cherokee Overland V8/ORAII. I previously had a '14 and had some issues with it, but the '18 has been flawless. THAT SAID, the new ones are a fully new model.

Things to note.

1) The ORAII package differs in capabilities between engines. The ones with the higher power engines (V8 & 3.0 Diesel) are more capable. I would definitely get the more capable package.

2) IIRC, you may not be able to get all the off-road capabilities in the Summit, or at least I don't think you could when I got mine. That said, the Overland is a very nice interior so even if you could "only" get the Overland in order to get all the off-road capabilities, it'll be very comfortable and nice.

3) The Grand with the ORAII package (as noted above) is very capable, especially if you swap out your tires with some decent all-terrains. I'm running K02s and those work well in a variety of conditions, although they aren't as sticky on pavement in the wet as I'd like. There are other milder options like the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos that stick nice in the wet, but don't have as an aggressive tread so aren't as good in mud, and don't have as tough of a sidewall. Just depends on what you're doing most, no free lunch. But I *would* definitely upgrade the tires if you're going to be going off-road, or even just on dirt roads out in the boondocks.

4) There is less cargo space in modern SUVs as you might expect. I think a lot of this is the curved shapes. So depending on how many people and how much gear you plan to take, it could be cramped. Probably the best way to compensate would be a roof rack like the Gobi.

5) The Grand is very capable and comfortable on-road as well. I think most of the higher end ones have the air suspension system and that automatically lowers when at freeway speeds.

6) You can get a factory extended warranty up to "unlimited" miles and you can pick your deductable. I think this is a good idea and have an unlimited with a 100 or 200 deductable.

7) There's not a great way to really lock things up in a lot of the SUVs like the Grand. We have a custom metal dog kennel in the back that I've secured in, so i can lock things in there, but all in all, it's a lot harder to secure things than in a truck where you can get cap or tool box.

Due to #4 and that we travel with two big dogs, I am currently shopping trucks (F150 Raptor, F150 Tremor, and maybe the Power Wagon).

This is my third Grand Cherokee, so holler if you have any questions

jeep_IMG_4740-downscaled.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

FWIW, here's the dog kennel I mentioned. While it's not high security, it'll be a bit of a deterrent, at least if you make sure nothing is visible/enticing. I recommend securing it so nobody can pull the box out of the vehicle. They are available for a variety of SUVs. https://www.transk9usa.com/find-your-car-box

trans_k9_IMG_4497-downscaled.jpg

trans_k9_IMG_2586-downscaled.JPG

I have an '18 Grand Cherokee Overland V8/ORAII. I previously had a '14 and had some issues with it, but the '18 has been flawless. THAT SAID, the new ones are a fully new model.

Things to note.

1) The ORAII package differs in capabilities between engines. The ones with the higher power engines (V8 & 3.0 Diesel) are more capable. I would definitely get the more capable package.

2) IIRC, you may not be able to get all the off-road capabilities in the Summit, or at least I don't think you could when I got mine. That said, the Overland is a very nice interior so even if you could "only" get the Overland in order to get all the off-road capabilities, it'll be very comfortable and nice.

3) The Grand with the ORAII package (as noted above) is very capable, especially if you swap out your tires with some decent all-terrains. I'm running K02s and those work well in a variety of conditions, although they aren't as sticky on pavement in the wet as I'd like. There are other milder options like the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos that stick nice in the wet, but don't have as an aggressive tread so aren't as good in mud, and don't have as tough of a sidewall. Just depends on what you're doing most, no free lunch. But I *would* definitely upgrade the tires if you're going to be going off-road, or even just on dirt roads out in the boondocks.

4) There is less cargo space in modern SUVs as you might expect. I think a lot of this is the curved shapes. So depending on how many people and how much gear you plan to take, it could be cramped. Probably the best way to compensate would be a roof rack like the Gobi.

5) The Grand is very capable and comfortable on-road as well. I think most of the higher end ones have the air suspension system and that automatically lowers when at freeway speeds.

6) You can get a factory extended warranty up to "unlimited" miles and you can pick your deductable. I think this is a good idea and have an unlimited with a 100 or 200 deductable.

7) There's not a great way to really lock things up in a lot of the SUVs like the Grand. We have a custom metal dog kennel in the back that I've secured in, so i can lock things in there, but all in all, it's a lot harder to secure things than in a truck where you can get cap or tool box.

Due to #4 and that we travel with two big dogs, I am currently shopping trucks (F150 Raptor, F150 Tremor, and maybe the Power Wagon).

This is my third Grand Cherokee, so holler if you have any questions

View attachment 45739
I really appreciate your feedback! I have looked at the Overland as well. The summit and reserve do have the more capable 4x4 systems and do have air ride which allows them to lift when needed. I too would change out the tires on anything I buy including a 4Runner. I would do the Hemi as I agree you can never have to much power. It would just be two of us for traveling and at times a lab and a Boston terrier so we could make do with a GC. The L model is interesting as it gives you even more cargo area, I wouldn't ever use the 3rd row in any SUV. No kids here so just the two of us. Good idea on the dog kennel. I was looking at some of the LEO style drawer systems that lock and are metal which would provide the most security against someone just breaking a window and grabbing what they can. I have a friend who is a service manager at a dealership and he said he hasn't seen many of the new GC come in with any issues.

I looked for a long time for a storage compartment for my Chevy SUV with AWD but they are made to fit in the space behind the rear seat and the rear doors which makes for too small a box even for many tripods. The largest are 48x30x10 inches as compared to 70x48x14 with my truck box and the cost is the same. The SUV boxes need to be through bolted into the SUV which means they are there for the life of the vehicle. Not a problem for a LEO but limiting for general use.

Any vehicle left at a trailhead is going to provide ample opportunity for someone to break a window and grab whatever is inside.

I wanted a vehicle with 4WD and a low range transfer case for rock crawling (easier on the truck, the passengers, and the photo gear) and a locking rear differential and a large gas tank. My diesel pickup averaged 16-17 mpg and with its 36 gal fuel tank my range was more than 500 miles. With my new truck I get 18 mpg on gas (35% more than with a Sequoia) and with its 36 gal gas tank my range is more than 600 miles. When going on forest service roads and the like my practice is to use a third of my fuel going in and have two-thirds for the trip back to the nearest town with a gas pump.

The truck vault was used for 7 years in the diesel pickup and I held onto it when I sold the truck. Now it is installed in my new truck. It takes me about 20 minutes to remove it and have the truck back to its original condition with no holes drilled in the bed.

For maximum maneuverability a Toyota Tacoma is hard to beat with its short wheelbase but in terms of width pretty much all trucks and SUV's are 79.9 inches wide with the legal maximum of 80 inches and the mini trucks are narrower but only by 4-5 inches which is not a lot. It is the wheelbase and turning radius that matter most. The drawback with the Toyota mini truck is that it has a small 21 gallon gas tank and it is no longer legal to replace the factory tank with a larger aftermarket one. As a result it range is only about 350 miles at best.

I looked for a long time for a storage compartment for my Chevy SUV with AWD but they are made to fit in the space behind the rear seat and the rear doors which makes for too small a box even for many tripods. The largest are 48x30x10 inches as compared to 70x48x14 with my truck box and the cost is the same. The SUV boxes need to be through bolted into the SUV which means they are there for the life of the vehicle. Not a problem for a LEO but limiting for general use.

Any vehicle left at a trailhead is going to provide ample opportunity for someone to break a window and grab whatever is inside.

I wanted a vehicle with 4WD and a low range transfer case for rock crawling (easier on the truck, the passengers, and the photo gear) and a locking rear differential and a large gas tank. My diesel pickup averaged 16-17 mpg and with its 36 gal fuel tank my range was more than 500 miles. With my new truck I get 18 mpg on gas (35% more than with a Sequoia) and with its 36 gal gas tank my range is more than 600 miles. When going on forest service roads and the like my practice is to use a third of my fuel going in and have two-thirds for the trip back to the nearest town with a gas pump.

The truck vault was used for 7 years in the diesel pickup and I held onto it when I sold the truck. Now it is installed in my new truck. It takes me about 20 minutes to remove it and have the truck back to its original condition with no holes drilled in the bed.

For maximum maneuverability a Toyota Tacoma is hard to beat with its short wheelbase but in terms of width pretty much all trucks and SUV's are 79.9 inches wide with the legal maximum of 80 inches and the mini trucks are narrower but only by 4-5 inches which is not a lot. It is the wheelbase and turning radius that matter most. The drawback with the Toyota mini truck is that it has a small 21 gallon gas tank and it is no longer legal to replace the factory tank with a larger aftermarket one. As a result it range is only about 350 miles at best.
Thanks for all the info.

One question is where did you hear about the gas tank? There are many companies selling and installing tanks.

Note that a Toyota mini truck isn't nearly as 'mini' as they once were.

My choice is a 2019 Subaru Outback (38mpg on a 100 mile gently rolling road) with a beat up old cooler for storage (looks like there's nothing worth stealing), my monopod is my alpenstock (a birch sapling with a tilthead) so it just lookslike a stick to most people, a small tripod will fit under the rear floor, I can sleep in the back. Of course I no longer travel very far nor would I enjoy spending more than one or two nights sleeping in the back.

I built a raised floor in my Ford Expedition on the left side. Coolers as storage drawers under. waders, vests, coats stored in large plastice trays on the top. On the right side bottom was flat surface with a small drawer under for my fly tying box. Right side top, racks for rods. I left the space behind the shelf up to the back set open and only accessble from the door on that side. I used that for client storage. Was doing drift boat trips at the time. It was nice everything "Locked and warm", nothing worse than clawling into damp cold waders at 4 in the morning. I could leave some rods behind and not worry about them being seen because racks are accross the roof inside. Closing the gate hide them from view. Nope could not see much out the rear view mirror. Boat block view anyway. As I am typing I am thinking about putting something in my current jeep.

FWIW, I usually drive a Jeep JK two door for solo photo trips (and a Transit camper van for longer or family trips) and though I really like the Jeep for rough roads, ability to park in tiny spaces and overall versatility it's not ideal for car-blind photo work. Sure it's small and easy to park on the side of a road and a pretty good height for a lot of roadside wildlife work but there's not a ton of room on the passenger seat or back seat for a big lens setup while driving. Granted mine is a stick shift so I lose some room between the seats an automatic might have but with a camera mounted to my 600mm f/4, especially with the lens hood in shooting position, there's not a ton of space to drive with the big rig set up and ready for shooting.

Of course shooting something like the 500mm PF it's no trouble at all but compared to a Ford Explorer I used as a shooting vehicle for years it's a bit cramped and of course if I keep the back seat in the Jeep (I often remove it as I don't carry back seat passengers very often in that vehicle) there's not a lot of storage room back there.

Still, the Jeep is pretty great for the places I can take it and other than lack of room for big gear is a ton of fun:
Jeep-King.jpeg

Last edited:
FWIW, I usually drive a Jeep JK two door for solo photo trips (and a Transit camper van for longer or family trips) and though I really like the Jeep for rough roads, ability to park in tiny spaces and overall versatility it's not ideal for car-blind photo work. Sure it's small and easy to park on the side of a road and a pretty good height for a lot of roadside wildlife work but there's not a ton of room on the passenger seat or back seat for a big lens setup while driving. Granted mine is a stick shift so I lose some room between the seats an automatic might have but with a camera mounted to my 600mm f/4, especially with the lens hood in shooting position, there's not a ton of space to drive with the big rig set up and ready for shooting.

Of course shooting something like the 500mm PF it's no trouble at all but compared to a Ford Explorer I used as a shooting vehicle for years it's a bit cramped and of course if I keep the back seat in the Jeep (I often remove it as I don't carry back seat passengers very often in that vehicle) there's not a lot of storage room back there.

Still, the Jeep is pretty great for the places I can take it and other than room for big gear is a ton of fun:
View attachment 45810
Is that cotton on the roads? Never seen that stuff before. 🤣

Back