Camera straps

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use peak design (they have a two or three straps) with their little red thingys on my cameras and lenses that snap on and off of the straps. Very convenient as I really don't like straps but use them when I have to have the camera hang while I'm doing something else (or am carrying two cameras) and I use the strap as my safety around my neck when I'm using the Cotton Carrier vest.

My favorite and most used strap is a BlackRapid shoulder strap, which I use for walking with the camera and lens at my hip (even with a lens as large as the 600 TC).

The one I have is this one with the QD connector: BlackRapid Sport X QD, but they don't make that one anymore. :mad:

You can get essentially the same strap, but with a locking carabiner connector here: BlackRapid Sport Breathe Camera Strap

If I am using a shorter lens, that doesn't require clipping into the lens foot, then I prefer to use the Peak Design Wrist Strap

I can't remember the last time that I used a neck strap, but it has happened. I have a Peak Design strap that would serve that purpose, clipping into the PD anchors.

Last edited:
I use the Black Rapid Sport strap with a third party QR clamp attached to Black Rapid swivel carbonier. I then attach the QR clamp to the tripod collar foot on my 100-400mm S lens with a arca swiss plate attached to the foot. I also use Peak Deign straps, the largest ones, as across the body/over the shoulder strap.

Any thoughts on straps? Nikon Z6II, largest lens is a Nikon 100-400. Thanks!
I have paid over $100 for straps that ended up in the trash can for one reason or another. I started using quick release straps to be able to insert a camera inside an underwater housing and carried that over to shooting with telephoto lenses where the strap was a hazard to the camera and lens when mounted on a tripod.

Only the Tamrac and Op/Tech have quick release buckles that cannot be accidentally unfastened. The Op/Tech camera straps have different colors of main sections so I use the color to denote which camera is in use.

The Op/Tech straps conform to my shoulder and so it does not slip off. The expensive straps I have tried were terrible at staying on my shoulder as the main section was too wide and too stiff. Amazon sells the Op/Tech straps for $13 and one can pay a lot more for an inferior camera strap.

For regular straps I prefer the Peak Designs.

straps can be an annoyance while shooting and it is nice to be able to take them off easily. The Peak Design straps have a quick release button s system that really works well. Almost impossible to release by accident, you leave the buttons attached to the camera or lens and it is easy to click in or out.

Their slide system also works well. The slide system is easy to set a stop position for hte camera or lens so it does not move around. At the same time you can quickly pull the camera up into shooting position. Their straps are also long and work well across the body where the weight is less bothersome.

I like those for light stuff, i will not wear a neck camera strap for anything. With heavier lenses i move to the black rapid or holdfast.

i just got the Holdfast Moneymaker and I started shooting with it today. I carried an 800mm pf and z9 on one side and the 400 f4.5 and z9 on the other. This was a comfortable setup with the holdfast and I could go for hours that way. I also tried tripod on one side and the 800 on the other and that was also comfortable.

I ordered a pair of shoulder pads which likely will improve comfort with heavier gear.

I am always conflicted over shooting handheld versus on a tripod with longer lenses. I generally prefer shooting with a tripod if it can easily be set up, I get better results that way. At the same time sometimes handheld is the best option and I am working on technique.
the important point is. I am having FUN.

After many years of various straps, I bought a couple of Peak Design straps and love them. I especially like the little camera attachment straps that stay on the camera so you can clip on and off your strap. Very handy when I have a lens that has handles I can clip on to, and then I move to a lens where I attach to the camera body itself.

I posted this elsewhere but I am mentioning it here as the subject is straps.

I recently experienced a failure when the lens foot unexpectedly came loose from the lens, causing the camera and lens to fall. Fortunately I was on soft grass at the time and I had no damage.

I have figured this particular potential problem exists in certain Nikon Z lenses that have knobs allowing a quick detachment of the lens foot from the lens. This style is used I think on the 70-200 f28, the 400mm f4.5 and the 600mm pf. The Nikon original foot has this system, and aftermarket manufacturers of this type include Kirk and Really Right Stuff. In my case the tightening knob somehow came loose and the foot slid off the base. This was with a Kirk replacement foot.

Based on that experience I urge caution with this type of foot mount. Check frequently to make sure the knob stays tightened and consider adding a safety strap.

There are some replacement feet that do not use this quick release system. Specifically Winberley and Hejnar make feet that bolt directly into the lens base with Allen bolts. The Hejnar model also has a QD connector socket, the WImberley does not.

I am switching to Hejnar.

Generally we use lens feet on our heaviest equipment. Mounting screws and bolts for lens feet can come loose. Check these regularly and if necessary consider Loctite to keep them from coming loose.

I have been using UPstrap since 2018 on my D500 and just ordered a new one for my Z8 can handle camera and my 150-600 G2 Tamron Zoom nice comfortable shoulder stap that stays on shoulder never slips. Check them out Journeycamera.com

I don’t care for straps that attach to the bottom of the camera as I like to carry it on my hip using a ring like you would hold a police baton where I hook it on the tripod foot which I swing slightly off to the side to reach the manual focus ring. I use lenses up to the 600pf with a 1.4tc in size this way. I can do a “quick draw” and get onto a fast moving bird in an instant. I’ve been doing it this way for years with a rope loop but love the baton ring. If I carry a second body it will likely be a wide angle which I carry in my large fanny pack without a strap. When home and not hiking I take the strap off. I use peak design, they are not perfect but I feel confident that I won’t drop the camera with the strap on both camera mounts and the loop on my belt.

I really like the Magpul slings with a QD (quick detachment) swivel and plate. https://kirkphoto.com/quick-disconnect-system.htmlf
I got a 404 on that link. Scoured B&H,Kirk and RRS and nobody has a 1/4-20 stud x QD Socket. In the process I decided not to tie up the tripod threads or have the socket on the bottom where the strap needs to be removed to use a tripod. I'm going to drill and tap the foot and put a Magpul Type 1 QD socket on the side so it can stay attached until the lens is mounted. I'll borrow the single/2 point Magpul sling from my AR and give it a try. They make a very nice sling.

Back