Camera straps

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After many years of various straps, I bought a couple of Peak Design straps and love them. I especially like the little camera attachment straps that stay on the camera so you can clip on and off your strap. Very handy when I have a lens that has handles I can clip on to, and then I move to a lens where I attach to the camera body itself.
Thank you!

I posted this elsewhere but I am mentioning it here as the subject is straps.

I recently experienced a failure when the lens foot unexpectedly came loose from the lens, causing the camera and lens to fall. Fortunately I was on soft grass at the time and I had no damage.

I have figured this particular potential problem exists in certain Nikon Z lenses that have knobs allowing a quick detachment of the lens foot from the lens. This style is used I think on the 70-200 f28, the 400mm f4.5 and the 600mm pf. The Nikon original foot has this system, and aftermarket manufacturers of this type include Kirk and Really Right Stuff. In my case the tightening knob somehow came loose and the foot slid off the base. This was with a Kirk replacement foot.

Based on that experience I urge caution with this type of foot mount. Check frequently to make sure the knob stays tightened and consider adding a safety strap.

There are some replacement feet that do not use this quick release system. Specifically Winberley and Hejnar make feet that bolt directly into the lens base with Allen bolts. The Hejnar model also has a QD connector socket, the WImberley does not.

I am switching to Hejnar.

Generally we use lens feet on our heaviest equipment. Mounting screws and bolts for lens feet can come loose. Check these regularly and if necessary consider Loctite to keep them from coming loose.
Thank you!

I don’t care for straps that attach to the bottom of the camera as I like to carry it on my hip using a ring like you would hold a police baton where I hook it on the tripod foot which I swing slightly off to the side to reach the manual focus ring. I use lenses up to the 600pf with a 1.4tc in size this way. I can do a “quick draw” and get onto a fast moving bird in an instant. I’ve been doing it this way for years with a rope loop but love the baton ring. If I carry a second body it will likely be a wide angle which I carry in my large fanny pack without a strap. When home and not hiking I take the strap off. I use peak design, they are not perfect but I feel confident that I won’t drop the camera with the strap on both camera mounts and the loop on my belt.
Thank you!

I got a 404 on that link. Scoured B&H,Kirk and RRS and nobody has a 1/4-20 stud x QD Socket. In the process I decided not to tie up the tripod threads or have the socket on the bottom where the strap needs to be removed to use a tripod. I'm going to drill and tap the foot and put a Magpul Type 1 QD socket on the side so it can stay attached until the lens is mounted. I'll borrow the single/2 point Magpul sling from my AR and give it a try. They make a very nice sling.
Thank you!

Back