Capture One, Luminar Neo, DXO, Affinity,... which Adobe alternative do you use?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use Capture One as the LR alternative and Affinity 2 as the PS alternative. For both applications, I have the perpetual licence; I don't rent!
I will add, that instead of Office 365 (rental, again!), I use LibreOffice.

I'm an old dog trying to keep up with new tricks. My standard workflow is LRC -> PS with Luminar NEO, Topaz Photo, DXO, and NIK plug-ins, as appropriate. So far, Topaz remains the leader in noise removal, Luminar Neo for fast processing, DXO for pre-processing noise removal, and PS for fine-tuning. If I have to use all that, the photo is not worth wasting time on. The fun one for finished photos is leonardo.ai. It does a great job converting your image into a cool graphic design.
I looked at Luminar stuff just yesterday, and liked what I saw. I want to read a little more about it before I buy it, because I've spent too much on software already! :)

I'm trying really hard to avoid Adobe, but I realize that may not be possible. Like you, I don't want to use one product, then another and another, to get what I want out of a RAW file.

I hate renting Photoshop. Who doesn't. But I do find it good value for money as I use it extensively.

The amount of free videos available for Photoshop is unrivalled - and the new features introduced lately on an ongoing basis - seriously - you don't find that in any other editing program.

I will say though that you should use the program you need for the things you like doing. Not everyone is a Photoshop addict.

I looked at Luminar stuff just yesterday, and liked what I saw. I want to read a little more about it before I buy it, because I've spent too much on software already! :)

I'm trying really hard to avoid Adobe, but I realize that may not be possible. Like you, I don't want to use one product, then another and another, to get what I want out of a RAW file.
I avoided Adobe for years. When I decided to switch, it was with great pain. I've been using LRC and PS for over ten years. They are my mainstays. I wouldn't go back to anything else. Those two with the plug-ins I mentioned above to play around with are all one needs to put out professional images.

I switched from Adobe products the very minute they went to subscription. The issue I have learned is every other "buy it once" software you end up paying near as much for the new next version they come out with every year. Affinity Photo has been a good investment but they are falling way behind IMO on tools and features. I have been using ON1 photo raw and it is OK. I don't feel I am getting the output from it I can achieve with LR and PS. It may be a lack or understand the add filters for basic stuff like to add a simple vignette. Noise reduction and colors just seems to make my final image almost like a cartoon. Again probably lack of knowledge on my part. There are some training out there but not near the LR and PS stuff. Not sure where my next journey goes. I have used the NIK plugins in the past. I may give the DXO Photo lab a whirl. Honestly think I may just end up in the adobe camp again at this point. So much support and so many presets etc. I just HATE the cataloging/DB system it relies on for file structure and edits.

Adobe - If the price does not change, it's 1200 dollars for 10 years rental, 10 dollars monthly rental for the www photoshop.
What I have found, if you go this way but have an existing hard copy (PS5 or 6 or so on) it is darn near impossible to remove from your computer. It goes thru a process, removes the start shortcut, but it's still there on your drive.

In Adobe's favor is that they have continued to heavily invest in improvements to their applications. An example is generative fill that makes it easier and faster to remove people or garbage from images. I never believed that one could fix it in Photoshop as I understood the amount of time involved and would spend the time to do litter patrols in areas.

I do use DxO for many years. Their noise reduction is the best arround. Even Topaz, isn't as good as DxO.
The one time payment is one of the reasons I went to DxO. And if you don't buy new camera's every year, there is no need to upgrade with every new version. This way the costs per month can be reduced.
I did try Capture One too, it is a great program too. As from early this year they do offer a monthly subscripion too. A licence for one version is also possible, but the price is realy high. Their montly fee is also one of the most expensive in the industry. So I prefer DxO over C-One and have left the Adobe software.

Left Adobe when they went subscription. Was a Lightroom user from Version 1. It really torqued me off that Adobe basically waited until they went subscription to re-write/speed up Lightroom Classic - they clearly withheld the update until after going subscription. Since then, I have used DXO PhotoLab and Capture One. DXO PhotoLab has the best noise reduction and lens profiles in the business. Capture 1 has great RAW rendering, and even their own Pro-Standard RAW profiles which are quite good. C1 also allows layer based edits similar to Photoshop and color and luminosity based masks. Also use NIK plugins directly from within DXO and C1.

Left Adobe when they went subscription. Was a Lightroom user from Version 1. It really torqued me off that Adobe basically waited until they went subscription to re-write/speed up Lightroom Classic - they clearly withheld the update until after going subscription. Since then, I have used DXO PhotoLab and Capture One. DXO PhotoLab has the best noise reduction and lens profiles in the business. Capture 1 has great RAW rendering, and even their own Pro-Standard RAW profiles which are quite good. C1 also allows layer based edits similar to Photoshop and color and luminosity based masks. Also use NIK plugins directly from within DXO and C1.
Capture One is now also on subscription model. There is a one time payment option, but they try to get everyone to their subscription model. This is something I don't like and I stay with DxO for now. (Maybe DxO will go to subscription too, by then I will decide what I am going to use).
For the time being, it is DxO PL Iuse.

Last edited:
I have opted to keep Photoshop for editing content. I have used it for many years and it may be indispensable for some tasks but it’s no longer my first choice for colour adjustments and printing.
There is probably no logical reason why I have decided to bounce over to Capture One (23). The truth is simply that I like the results more.
Capture One remains an odd program. I agree with those who have pointed out that importing and exporting images are both cumbersome. I don’t think that much of the cataloging features either, but that’s also my fault. I like using PhotoMechanic for catalogues instead, mostly because I am used to it.
I think it is interesting that there are so many options for cataloging and post processing. I have had much better results with Capture One when printing, however I have recently moved over to using Epson Print Layout via Capture One as my final print option because it makes the process a bit easier.

New member but want to follow along. I’ve been using Capture One for some years, since at one time it came with the Leica M9 (fun camera—my early photography was with a Konica rangefinder camera), and I’ve been using it since. I am not a heavy editor, more of a tweaker, so I never had a need for Photoshop type editing. All that said, I’m also suspicious of Capture One’s new pricing model, not to mention the lack of compelling features for my needs in the last couple of versions, so I’ve started casting about for alternatives as well. Hate to admit, but for me that has even meant reconsidering Lightroom.

Yes I know that pricing models are an issue and maybe it’s time to accept that photography is an expensive pastime. I look at it this way. If it gives you good outcomes it’s probably worthwhile. Like buying a decent but expensive lens, tripod, etc. All software will eventually move to monthly pricing. It used to be huge prices every few years. Then the upgrades forced you to pay more so things worked or your camera was supported etc. I think Capture One is not as good on the value for money scale but l choose to use it. For me it’s about selecting and printing the images I want to use.

That said Keith Cooper‘s video on inkjet costs is interesting:

I recently upgraded my printer and chose one with bigger cartridges not for the print size but because the the cartridges on my new printer hold double the ink but are almost the same price ($A4 approx more expensive) than the cheaper model which is about $600 less for the printer. Yes it’s more money upfront but the cost per print works out much better by the time you replace the cartridges for the first time. Keith makes the observation that “Cheapness comes at a cost” part way through.

Outrageous but probably true, unfortunately. I DO know that Capture One and a new printer has meant I no longer waste ink (and time) on having to make 2 or 3 prints to get the results I want.
The fun factor
Yes it has involved more money but I am having much more fun and that’s worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
I switched from Adobe products the very minute they went to subscription. The issue I have learned is every other "buy it once" software you end up paying near as much for the new next version they come out with every year. Affinity Photo has been a good investment but they are falling way behind IMO on tools and features. I have been using ON1 photo raw and it is OK. I don't feel I am getting the output from it I can achieve with LR and PS. It may be a lack or understand the add filters for basic stuff like to add a simple vignette. Noise reduction and colors just seems to make my final image almost like a cartoon. Again probably lack of knowledge on my part. There are some training out there but not near the LR and PS stuff. Not sure where my next journey goes. I have used the NIK plugins in the past. I may give the DXO Photo lab a whirl. Honestly think I may just end up in the adobe camp again at this point. So much support and so many presets etc. I just HATE the cataloging/DB system it relies on for file structure and edits.
I feel ya. Of all the Adobe alternatives I've tried, On1 and Zoner Photo are my favorites. I bought them both, and will only update when there's a very compelling reason to do so. I grudgingly subscribed to Adobe's Photographer subscription at ten bucks US per month, but I store nothing in their cloud.

Affinity, as mentioned by others, does okay for me, but there's some friction for me, can't say why.

I have difficulty with adjusting colors, too. NONE of the adjustments that I apply, regardless of application used, give me what I "see" mentally. I've concluded that the problem lies in my skull.

Noise reduction, in my limited experience, helps with some things, but I always turn it down a few notches from its default setting (in Adobe) of 50%. I don't think I've tried it yet in On1. I will say that Lightroom Classic's NR worked wonders with some RAWs taken with an Olympus E-M5 that I had a couple years ago.

I've used Capture One since it first came out and continue to love it. I began using it strictly for RAW conversion because I wasn't pleased with ACR, but with all the changes over the years I now do most of my processing through it. I still export into PS to finish my processing because PS can still do some things better (IMHO).

I feel ya. Of all the Adobe alternatives I've tried, On1 and Zoner Photo are my favorites. I bought them both, and will only update when there's a very compelling reason to do so. I grudgingly subscribed to Adobe's Photographer subscription at ten bucks US per month, but I store nothing in their cloud.

Affinity, as mentioned by others, does okay for me, but there's some friction for me, can't say why.

I have difficulty with adjusting colors, too. NONE of the adjustments that I apply, regardless of application used, give me what I "see" mentally. I've concluded that the problem lies in my skull.

Noise reduction, in my limited experience, helps with some things, but I always turn it down a few notches from its default setting (in Adobe) of 50%. I don't think I've tried it yet in On1. I will say that Lightroom Classic's NR worked wonders with some RAWs taken with an Olympus E-M5 that I had a couple years ago.
NONE of the adjustments that I apply, regardless of application used, give me what I "see" mentally. I've concluded that the problem lies in my skull.”

I hope your skull recovers. I know the feeling. I had the same problem for several years. Mine sort of staged a recovery when I rethought my printing practices and the calibration of my screen on my iMac.

I turned the display brightness down to about the 20% point on the brightness slider. I think my X rite calibration guide suggested it. I then recalibrated the screen.

I also started to use Epson Print Layout (It operates as a plug in to Capture One and other programs) to print. I also also consult a guide to my printer (Epson p900) which icc settings for the papers I use (ILFORD, Carson and Epson). The guide and review of the printer was in a review of the magazine called Photopro published here in Oz. The writer identities which settings work best for numerous papers.

At last I don’t need to print several copies of each image and stare at them thinking my skull definitely has a problem.
* The iMac is late 2017 and I plan to replace it in 2024.

Back