CF express card

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Last edited:
I just went with 2 of the Delkin Power 128gb cards for now. It was the best overall cost/performance option for me. I wanted at least 2 cards but also didnt need the 512gb or 650gb options.
With my D500 and D850, I had been using Sandisk and Prograde SD cards, 32gb and 64gb. And never had a problem with storage. In 1 full day I never had more than 1 64gb card and 3 32gb cards filled up.

Searching www for more prices of Angelbird cards, I found this post. This is always the risk with new technology at the bleeding edge.
first report https://www.facebook.com/groups/NikonMirrorless/posts/1192108931315036/

followup from Angelbird
What does the report say? It is a private group so I couldn't read it.

see the response from Angelbird to the complainant, which is encouraging to see their explanation ie older versions vs latest....

What does the report say? It is a private group so I couldn't read it.

to quote:

Ronald Lee
W-Qs3GDwsjY.png

· 1784 D0cpe2cemb1ler sa3ftc5 20:29d ·

Update about the Angelbird CFexpress memory card issue with my Nikon Z camera. The company finally got back to me with an explanation, three weeks after I emailed them about my initial report (posted here, links at the bottom).
The company had lost some credibilty with me with their product but I have to say I give them credit for giving a frank honest answer instead of trying to make excuses, hiding it, or trying to blame the user (me) or Nikon.
IN SHORT/SUMMARY, the current Angelbird cards weren't designed with the Z cameras in mind and they know about incompatibility issues with their cards and Nikon cameras BUT their new cards will work with Nikon camera and are going to work well (and fast) with newer cameras such as the Nikon Z9.
(Long explanation) the issue I had with my Angelbird CFexpress cards failing randomly in my camera has nothing to do with firmware updates.
They wrote "... the challenge was to make them work fine with the cameras that were XQD based and got an update to CFexpress, such as the D850, and the Z6. There we have some issues with some cameras that we are trying still to find figure out why they work perfectly in some cameras and not all. We are also in contact with Nikon to find a solution!"
They further went on to say that the current AVpro CFexpress cards will have issues with the Z9 as "...the writing pattern on the Z9 it is complicated. So the cards are fast enough, but the camera cannot take the full advantage of the cards..."
BUT BUT BUT they are working on releasing their new AV PRO CFexpress MKII cards (next generation cards from 1TB to 4TB) and these cards are are 100% compatible with the Z9.
Further, they wrote at the end of their email reply "Again, i am very very sorry, but looks like we got it all wrong since the beginning, you are totally right, and i see now why you are having these issues using our cards."
---
So at this point I've already bought a Prograde Gold card. I was going to get the Delkin next, but I might just cut Angelbird some slack and try their MKII cards later if they are able to be frank about their product.
The one thing that would have saved all this greif and posting is if they replied within 36 hours, rather than 20 days later.
I've given my existing cards to Canon users, as these cards supposedly work flawlessly on other brands, but did keep one of their Angelbird CFexpress 256gb cards for now.
Links to my previous posts.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NikonMirrorless/posts/1192108931315036/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NikonMirrorless/posts/1196724527520143/

W-Qs3GDwsjY.png

· 29 S3Ncn6ovfe2r6mb0er gat 203:115 ·

Two Angelbird CFExpress 256 GB cards FAILED upon their first use in the MIDDLE OF TWO PHOTOSHOOTS
I bought two of these cards from B&H and received them last week and tested them out in my next photoshoots, unfortunately the first card failed in the middle of a beauty photo workshop I was teaching last Thursday, where I was doing some photos and some 4K video when the camera's (Z7II) LCD screen would suddenly show a warning message box with a red C/X icon in the top right corner and the message something to the effect of "this memory card cannot be used". The camera could not write to the card so I had to take the card out and put in another card.
I wasn't sure if it was this particular card that had the issue or this brand in general, so I used the other card for a bridal photo shoot I was hosting on Saturday. I was only taking photos and the same thing happened. I tried to get a video of the back of the LCD screen but the display timed out just when I got my phone out. In this case, after leaving the card and camera alone for about 10 minutes, it seemed to continue working.
In both cases, I was not shooting quickly, and the cards were not hot at all. They were formatted in the camera, and they seem to work in subsequent uses, I am constantly using them now to see if I can replicate the error and take a photo of it.
When the issue happens, the camera cannot write to the card, and I'm just worried whether or not I will lose my images and video that are already written on the card if I keep using these cards.
Has anyone had this happen to you, with any card? I also use Lex and SanDisk CF express cards and this has never happened, but both of those cards will overheat in my camera with 4K video.
Would you continue to use these cards? Would you trust the Anglebird brand? I am not sure…. I have emailed them directly for next nation but they have not replied.
I look forward to any feedback you may have.

More options of the latest Angelbird CFexp B cards are being listed at B&H, hopefully with more Affordable deals

EDIT see next post about failures reported with the first Angelbird cards on Z cameras
I looked at these and thought the price of the 512GB had to be wrong being $179. It seems like a great price for 512GB. Looking at them closer, there are substantial differences between the 160GB and 512GB cards. The 160BG is designed for speed and specifically mentions the Z9 in the information. It looks like this is the card from Angelbird to buy for the Z9 and at $179 it seems reasonably priced. I preordered the 160GB.

Here are the most recently reviewed CFEXpress cards on the SSD Review - so more choices

A couple of days ago I ran my own test with the Z9 set at 15fps, NEF lossless compressed. 64GB Sony XQD card slowed down after 32 frames. 128GB Delkin Power had no limit. The 128GB Delkin Power currently selling for $127 on Amazon, B/H, Adorama.

Obviously most of these companies don't make cards, but simply slap a label. Is there a reliable source that tracks who makes what?

I wanted to get some thoughts on CF express cards and what brands you have the best luck with. I have continued to use the XQD cards and they have worked flawlessly with both of my generation 2 z bodies. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to purchase Z9 and not planning on doing video, would it be fine to continue to use the XQD cards in the Z9? I am just trying to figure out if it’s worth it to spend several hundred dollars on cards I might not need. Then there is CF express a and b and I’m not exactly sure what the difference is. I really don’t do a lot of long bursts. I sometimes do some 4K video maybe 30 seconds to a minute at a time but really nothing extended. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
If you’re satisfied with the XQD card performance (like me), then just continue using them. However, in the not too distant future, they and their card readers will disappear, so you may find yourself SOL. CF Express cards are the future (at least until the next greatest thing is available), so it would be wise to position yourself to make the transition. A reasonable strategy might be to buy a CF Express card and reader the next time you need a new card, and eventually build upon that platform. In the meanwhile, there’s really no need to dump what you have and convert everything to CF Express, IMHO.

Obviously most of these companies don't make cards, but simply slap a label. Is there a reliable source that tracks who makes what?
I believe there are two major steps in manufacturing. The memory in the card is most likely made by Micron or Samsung. The assembly is a relatively simple process and there are lots of companies assembling components. There are other small components such as the bus that have a big impact on heat and how fast the card operates. I can't speak to the technical aspects, but again there are a host of components used including operating firmware or software, and the choice depends on card size and speed desired by the card company.

Lexar for example, was a small subsidiary of Micron who manufactures memory for a wide range of products. Longsys was reportedly the company that assembled the cards for Lexar as well as their own cards and a host of others. When Micron exited the market and closed Lexar, they sold the brand to Longsys who produces Lexar cards today. The people who worked at Lexar under Micron formed ProGrade Digital and may still use Longsys or someone else for assembly.

I believe there are two major steps in manufacturing. The memory in the card is most likely made by Micron or Samsung. The assembly is a relatively simple process and there are lots of companies assembling components. There are other small components such as the bus that have a big impact on heat and how fast the card operates. I can't speak to the technical aspects, but again there are a host of components used including operating firmware or software, and the choice depends on card size and speed desired by the card company.

Lexar for example, was a small subsidiary of Micron who manufactures memory for a wide range of products. Longsys was reportedly the company that assembled the cards for Lexar as well as their own cards and a host of others. When Micron exited the market and closed Lexar, they sold the brand to Longsys who produces Lexar cards today. The people who worked at Lexar under Micron formed ProGrade Digital and may still use Longsys or someone else for assembly.
Yup ... in the "old" days when I first got into photography I could order from Lexar directly and it was delivered the same day or the next and any issues handled quickly since they were right here in Boise :cool: Now I get pretty similar service out of Delkin out of CA.

I am using Sony cards for my A1 as well as Z9
Initially I had bought Prograde for Z9 which I found it to be slow & then switched over to Sony
No issues at all with Sony cards
I am also using Lexar V 90 cards for videos in A1 & it does a good job

I wanted to get some thoughts on CF express cards and what brands you have the best luck with. I have continued to use the XQD cards and they have worked flawlessly with both of my generation 2 z bodies. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to purchase Z9 and not planning on doing video, would it be fine to continue to use the XQD cards in the Z9? I am just trying to figure out if it’s worth it to spend several hundred dollars on cards I might not need. Then there is CF express a and b and I’m not exactly sure what the difference is. I really don’t do a lot of long bursts. I sometimes do some 4K video maybe 30 seconds to a minute at a time but really nothing extended. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Rather like using biofuel in a Ferrari - I fear that "not using" the fastest cards in a Z9 limits your choices and will under-play the outcomes you could achieve. Now -- obviously -- when shooting slow - almost any card that this in and can be formatted by the Z9 is good to go. BUT -- if you want to shoot the highest data-rate Video or vast numbers of high-burst rate lossless RAW images then you are going to need to use the best of the best -- it happens that the best of the best simply do not slow down as they get warmer and seem to be more robust than less expensive or slower options.
My choice -- Delkin Black 512GB (Slot 1 - Stills) and Prograde Cobalt 650GB (slot 2 - overflow and video) -- for action shooting. My back-up is a pair of each but a little smaller. Obviously like most shooters I have a stack of smaller and slower CF-Express Type B and XQD cards and SD cards, that I now keep for use in Z6ii bodies.
My main-portrait/landscape / "other" camera has a 1TB SSD built in and also uses CF Express Type B - the 1TB SSD is extraordinary and I hope that Nikon and other manufacturers follow Hasselblad's lead -- my work process is lightning fast now I can off-load/import the "vast" 16-bit 3FR in minutes via Thunderbolt 4/USB-C.
I also find that the Delkin DDReader-54 USB-C CF-Express Type B Card Reader is a great option.

Unless you choose to shoot Sony -- I would avoid CF Express Type A cards like the plague. The pros and cons of Type A and Type B have been well rehearsed and typically attract the ire of Sony shooters who have to live with this old, slow, expensive, easy to overheat solution. [But then Sony is infamous for demanding use of proprietary storage solutions]. The sony shooters I work with have their own stacks of these cards -- avoiding SD whenever possible. So at least Type A has that going for it.

I really don’t do a lot of long bursts. I sometimes do some 4K video maybe 30 seconds to a minute at a time but really nothing extended. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Since you don't do a lot of long burst, a slow card will work. For 4K, 30 seconds to a minute requires a fast card. If that is key, I would suggest either Delkin Black (have not used one but have heard good things about them) or ProGrade Cobalt with I use.

Where the Angelbirds are a great solution is when shooting video with an Atomos Ninja or Shogun attached to the camera. The 2TB Angelbird SSD sells for $550 or about half the price of CFexpress memory cards. Many of the current CFexpress cards have problems with the write rate of the Z9 and only the Delkin Black and Prograde 325GB and 650GB cards perform flawlessly at this time. I had problems with the first XQD cards from Lexar and SanDisk when the D500 was introduced and they would cause the camera to lock up completely until they were removed from the camera.

Where the Angelbirds are a great solution is when shooting video with an Atomos Ninja or Shogun attached to the camera. The 2TB Angelbird SSD sells for $550 or about half the price of CFexpress memory cards. Many of the current CFexpress cards have problems with the write rate of the Z9 and only the Delkin Black and Prograde 325GB and 650GB cards perform flawlessly at this time. I had problems with the first XQD cards from Lexar and SanDisk when the D500 was introduced and they would cause the camera to lock up completely until they were removed from the camera.
Prograde Colbalt or Gold?

Many of the current CFexpress cards have problems with the write rate of the Z9 and only the Delkin Black and Prograde 325GB and 650GB cards perform flawlessly at this time.
Hmm my Angelbirds have been 100%. I know they had issues at the start. With the latest firmware even the SE cards are fast. Some have said nearly as fast as the MK2 cards in the Z9. Anyway on DPReview you will find some reports of the Delkin Black failing too. Granted I am not a pro user. Best thing for the OP have two cards and a backup plan if one stops working.

I have been using Sony and Lexar in my wife's Z6 and Z7 w/o a problem. FOr the Z9 I opted for 325 GB Prograde Cobalt cards. Everything works flawlessly and never buffers out - FYI I use HE*. Any of the major card is a good choice, and any could present you with a bad card.

Also we use a Sony single slot card reader (USB-C) interface w/o problem

I have been using Sony and Lexar in my wife's Z6 and Z7 w/o a problem. FOr the Z9 I opted for 325 GB Prograde Cobalt cards. Everything works flawlessly and never buffers out - FYI I use HE*. Any of the major card is a good choice, and any could present you with a bad card.

Also we use a Sony single slot card reader (USB-C) interface w/o problem
I use Sony CF cards for both A1 & Z9 .No issue at all till date.I also had a poor expereince with Progarde gold

It appears you're talking about the Anglebird SSD cartridges for the Atomos and I think people may think you're talking about the Anglebird CFE cards.

Hmm my Angelbirds have been 100%. I know they had issues at the start. With the latest firmware even the SE cards are fast. Some have said nearly as fast as the MK2 cards in the Z9. Anyway on DPReview you will find some reports of the Delkin Black failing too. Granted I am not a pro user. Best thing for the OP have two cards and a backup plan if one stops working.
they have also had problems at various times as well. iirc this fw update was to address a reliability problem:

from memory:
1) some early cards had problems and had to be exchanged with new cards
2) early-ish problems resolved with fw update
3) more recent issue resolved with fw update

i'm glad they are working for most folks, but i do think their introduction was a bit bumpy.

Back