CF express cards

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What John mentioned as bullet point #3 is critical. None off the cameras are getting anything over 1000MB/s write speed. Detailed analysis was done on this over on FM Forums. I recall the Nikons were high 800MB/s or low 900MB/s at best. The camera processing pipeline and heat management considerations seem to limit Nikon, Canon and Sony to these types of speeds regardless of the type (A vs B) or generation (2 vs 4) of cards.

Therefore the cameras aren't even making use of v2 card potential let alone future v4 potential.
Future cameras will still likely not get any benefit of v4 cards. v4 cards are good for download speeds if that matters. Personally I cull images on the card and then injest my picks which ends up being a couple hundred images out of a couple thousand for any given shoot. Time to download a couple hundred images is next to nothing even with my "slow" CFe-A speeds. v2 CFe-B is even faster than CFe-A.
And no one will ever need more than 64 MB of RAM. BG

What John mentioned as bullet point #3 is critical. None off the cameras are getting anything over 1000MB/s write speed. Detailed analysis was done on this over on FM Forums. I recall the Nikons were high 800MB/s or low 900MB/s at best. The camera processing pipeline and heat management considerations seem to limit Nikon, Canon and Sony to these types of speeds regardless of the type (A vs B) or generation (2 vs 4) of cards.
my pet theory is they are actually only using one pcie lane.

if you look at the highest end raspberry pis, they do nvme with one lane, i wonder if the cameras do as well.

of course cfe-a cameras are stuck with one lane anyway.

Therefore the cameras aren't even making use of v2 card potential let alone future v4 potential.
Future cameras will still likely not get any benefit of v4 cards.
i do think we’ll see future cameras in the semi near timeframe that will start taking advantage. look how much complaining we’re doing about raw fps. sooner or later they’re going to pull out the stops. i’m guessing the big issue is if we’re willing to pay for the processing power needed.

Be aware that the Delkin Black cards will provide 48 hour replacement for a malfunctioning card no questions asked.

To me that is worth it.
Also, that warranty level is for the Delkin black, not the Delkin Power 2TB. I'm thinking of sticking to the Delkin Black 1.3 TB
The warranty is a peace of mind thing, that they stand behind that level product.

Nikon and Canon have always had cameras with a write speed of around 50-75% of the theoretical speed of fast memory cards. For Nikon that meant an actual write speed of &@ MB/s for SD UHS-I and 145 MB/s for SD UHS-II. With XQD and CFExpress Type B, the actual write speed has varied a lot more. I suspect it is related to both processing and write check routines as well as heat management. A few years ago when testing cards in the D850, Z6 and Z7ii I found that the shooting speed is suppressed if the buffer fills and stays suppressed until the buffer is completely cleared, so partially clearing the buffer does not restore peak frame rate.

I'm using two Delkin Power 1 TB cards - one in my Z8 and one in my Z6iii. The first card was purchased for $359 when the card was launched a year ago, and the second card was purchased recently for $249 on Amazon around the time of Prime Day sales. I have tested the card for burst shooting and the camera is able to shoot virtually indefinitely. It only stopped when the camera hit the limit for maximum photos on one burst.

Nikon and Canon have always had cameras with a write speed of around 50-75% of the theoretical speed of fast memory cards. For Nikon that meant an actual write speed of &@ MB/s for SD UHS-I and 145 MB/s for SD UHS-II. With XQD and CFExpress Type B, the actual write speed has varied a lot more. I suspect it is related to both processing and write check routines as well as heat management. A few years ago when testing cards in the D850, Z6 and Z7ii I found that the shooting speed is suppressed if the buffer fills and stays suppressed until the buffer is completely cleared, so partially clearing the buffer does not restore peak frame rate.

I'm using two Delkin Power 1 TB cards - one in my Z8 and one in my Z6iii. The first card was purchased for $359 when the card was launched a year ago, and the second card was purchased recently for $249 on Amazon around the time of Prime Day sales. I have tested the card for burst shooting and the camera is able to shoot virtually indefinitely. It only stopped when the camera hit the limit for maximum photos on one burst.
If I can get 2 TB Delkin power cards at a good price I may take them as back ups. If I get to go to McNeil ( it’s by lottery and only 185 people win per year) I’ll be be taking a tent, sleeping bag, food, camera gear ect so not taking a laptop ( there is a weight limitation) but want plenty of card space to capture bear photos. Cards are light and this would be a once in a lifetime event for me. So I may end up with 4 cards .. two main Delkin black 1.3 and two 2TB Delkin power. I’d use the second card as back up cards instead of overflow.
Anyhow, thinking Black Friday ought to be a good sale time next.

Back