D850 Purchase in 2022??

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I appreciate your perspective and, in some ways, I agree with it. However, I disagree that mirrorless technology "far surpasses DSLR". Except for auto eye AF and faster frame rate (if these features are important to you), I can't really think of many other things where MILC is appreciably better than state-of-the-art, pro level DSLR cameras, such as the D850 and D6. For the vast majority of amateur photographers, which is most of the people on this forum, a good DSLR camera is more than adequate for most needs (except for the bragging rights a Z9 or A1 brings), particularly considering the relative costs involved. While a Z9 might increase my keeper rate for fast moving subjects like birds in flight, as an amateur, so what? So that I can have dozens more images of the same bird stored on my hard drive or posted to Facebook? I ask myself whether parting with $5500 for a Z9 would give me greater satisfaction than I already get shooting with my two D850, and so far the answer is no.

Perhaps a better analogy than video technology might be gas versus EV - sure, EV is the future, but for most consumers do they offer any significant advantages over gas, especially considering their current higher cost?
Lots of people will disagree with you about mirrorless. I am sure they will tell you their reasons. Some people think there is no dif between a 1080P tv image and 4k tv image. And as far as adequate goes, some people are still happy with picture tube tvs and find them more than adequate. To each their own and if everybody is having fun the world is great. As far as the Z9 thing goes, if I had the money to buy a pile of Canon lenses equal in size to my Nikon pile of lenses I would shoot an R5 but I am too poor:) A new body I can afford. 20 grand plus in new lenses to shoot it I can't afford.

I have been using the D750 for a few years and had the chance to buy a 'used' D850 for £1900 (this included the 105mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Lowepro bag and XQD card). The shutter count was 429 !!! Have to say it is an amazing camera and if I get a chance to grab another I certainly will. This will do for me until I expire - which I hope is not too soon lol.

I owned a number of DSLR's over the years including a D7500 ... When I switched to mirrorless Z9 and Z6II ... I had D500, D6 and D850 when I ordered my Z9. I sold the D500 and D6 and kept the most versatile and best all around DSLR I ever owned the D850 it is a great camera and being a birder it was almost married to my 600 f/4E while I waited for the Z9. After getting to know the Z9 (firmware update 2.1 is great) and Z6II and getting the Z100-400 and Z800pf I personally do not regret selling the D850, 600 f/4E and the rest of my f mount lenses.

A used or refurbished on sale from Nikon D850 would be a great value. There are also great sales from Nikon and the used market on some great f mount lenses new, used and refurbished.

I owned a number of DSLR's over the years including a D7500 ... When I switched to mirrorless Z9 and Z6II ... I had D500, D6 and D850 when I ordered my Z9. I sold the D500 and D6 and kept the most versatile and best all around DSLR I ever owned the D850 it is a great camera and being a birder it was almost married to my 600 f/4E while I waited for the Z9. After getting to know the Z9 (firmware update 2.1 is great) and Z6II and getting the Z100-400 and Z800pf I personally do not regret selling the D850, 600 f/4E and the rest of my f mount lenses.

A used or refurbished on sale from Nikon D850 would be a great value. There are also great sales from Nikon and the used market on some great f mount lenses new, used and refurbished.
Yeppers Ken. I have a great Mamiya Sekor 2 and quarter twin lenses view camera here that I loved shooting before a lot of the folks here were even born. I don't seem to use it much anymore but it was a great tool in it's time;) I'll never get rid of my DSLRs until I find someone I like enough to just give them away to someone I know who will appreciate using them. Trade in prices are insultingly low. Times change.

Yeppers Ken. I have a great Mamiya Sekor 2 and quarter twin lenses view camera here that I loved shooting before a lot of the folks here were even born. I don't seem to use it much anymore but it was a great tool in it's time;) I'll never get rid of my DSLRs until I find someone I like enough to just give them away to someone I know who will appreciate using them. Trade in prices are insultingly low. Times change.
I got into photography a bit in 2011 borrowing my wife's Canon EOS 60D and using a Fuji bridge camera. Then in July 2012 I bought my first DSLR a Nikon D300s. So pretty new to the game for a 74 year old. I was very lucky to gamble to sell my DSLR's and f mount lenses before I got or just after I got early delivery of most of the current mirrorless gear I have so got much better prices than I could get now.

I floated the idea of trading/selling my D850 to buy into the digital space but, I know I’ll regret it later on!
Still, I’m yet to buy a digital camera and constantly reading the reviews from the members in this forum; helps with making an informed decision. I’ll wait until next January 2023 for any new developments with the Z7 or Z8 but, I’ll be keeping my D850. Sorry, a long winded way of saying get a D850.

The answer is a resounding yes for the D850, prices used are very favorable.

The D850 is the best all round do everything so well camera on the market PERIOD.

Put a 70-200 FL lens on it and you will never want to take it off once you see how versatile and good it is.

Mirror less is not fully ripe yet regardless of brand, mirror less is a means of reviving and migrating the industry into video...the future.

My Z9 offers me high focus attack speed, high frame rate, and excellent Video, the D850 makes photos, is smaller lighter affordable.

I like the Z9 very much for video and speed, I love the D850 for making photos.

For critical sports action in challenging conditions i prefer the D6 over the Z9 still as the D6 is a DSLR not mirror less, for all other sports action the Z9 works well.
Even the D850 delivers in so many applications.

For wild life like BIF in challenging conditions i prefer the D850 D6, or don't use the tracking features of mirror less and rely on my skill sets and use the mirror less camera like a DSLR where i am in control.
I do like the Croup setting of the DSLR's.

Only an opinion

Don't confuse new with good. The D850 is a good camera. I own one and it is one of the best I have ever owned. If the price is right, buy it.

Lots of people will disagree with you about mirrorless. I am sure they will tell you their reasons. Some people think there is no dif between a 1080P tv image and 4k tv image. And as far as adequate goes, some people are still happy with picture tube tvs and find them more than adequate. To each their own and if everybody is having fun the world is great. As far as the Z9 thing goes, if I had the money to buy a pile of Canon lenses equal in size to my Nikon pile of lenses I would shoot an R5 but I am too poor:) A new body I can afford. 20 grand plus in new lenses to shoot it I can't afford.
Well now, your comment is just a little condescending perhaps, implying that I'm one of those people who are so behind the times that I'm content with picture tube TVs. Hardly.

I'm probably in the minority in this thread but I wouldn't buy a D850 today. I owned it and loved it and yes it's still a great camera. But mirrorless is here to stay and the DSLR will soon be going the way of the Dodo. Didn't Nikon say they are stopping all new DSLR production? That kind of tells you everything you need to know. What happens if you need a repair in a couple years.................will there even be parts available? Mirrorless technology far surpasses DSLR and I'd rather be a little ahead of the curve than far behind it. Think of it this way...........would you have bought a VHS tape player right as Blockbuster was switching over to DVD's or when they were about to go out of business? I sure as heck wouldn't have...........................my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
I am partially in your minority.

The D850 was the last DSLR I sold and it is still a great camera and if it fits ones needs for several years and they can get a great buy then not a bad plan. But it does mean buying into a camera that will soon not be produced and sold by Nikon. But there are a lot of them out there and I would bet many local repair guys can get parts for a long time to come.

However like you I decided to sell off my DSLRs and f mount lenses before the price started dropping and it dropped. When I decided to finally go mirrorless after a very trusted pro friend and camera store owner (full line Sony, Canon and Nikon dealer) who refused to go mirrorless say he was going all in with Z9 and a Z6II when he got to play with a Z6II and a Z100-400 and then a Z9. Then when when the Z9 came out and Steve said that he wished he had already sold his D6 I immediately took the offer I had ready and waiting for my D6 and D500 and ordered a Z9. I got a Z6II and Z100-400 first and then finally had to go NPS to get a Z9 on 4-2-22 I wanted one before I went to a photo seminar in May run by my camera store owner friend mentioned above.

When Steve did his short release review of the Z800 PF I immediately took the offer I had in hand to sell my 600mm f/4E. After using the Z9 and 800 PF that arrived 5-1 and the Z100 - 400 and the Z70-200 and all 3 worked great with the Z1.4 TC on the Z6II and the Z9 I asked my wife if she wanted my 500pf that was not getting used. She tried it on her Z50 and deemed it to big and the hood hard for her to take on and off so I sold it and the rest of my f/mount lenses and the D850 that was just sitting in my dry cabinet. I did keep one lonely Nikon 50mm and we still have two FTZ's my wife has a Tamron 18-400 for her Z50 a great combo. She is keeping her Tamron 100-400 at this point but her new Z400 f/4.5 has not left her camera since she got it :cool:

I think the expense of changing brands or systems for many is not possible.
The body is mostly tolerable the lenses is what hurts.
Then for those who can afford it the tangible benefits need to be weighed up as to will it improve your photography.
If 10 to 15% of the out come is dependent on your gear it seems a hell of a price to pay.

I feel the investment is best placed in YOURSELF.
A good photographer can pretty much use any gear and deliver good results.
The market is offering at very good prices Z6II D850 D750 D500, D4s D5, D6 units are not abundant just yet.
There is so much brilliant glass on there used market its incredible.

For me the D850 is just an amazing all round master tool that just does everything well, match it up to a wholly trio with a 200-500 and a 1.4 TC and you have an incredible 90% of the filed covered at a fraction of the cost or a new system.
Yes if you can afford to get what you want anytime bless you.

I think the Z system has legs it still needs to grow, its just such a complex unfriendly menu system now, like apps on phones there endless all buying for your attention as often perceived benefits.

........well for me at least, and then the features some work well or sometimes anyway.

Don,t feel your missing out not going to mirror less because your not.............yes there are benefits but you need to measure those benefits tangible in the photographs you make.
Yes there is a difference between my 1994 Fairlane Ghia with 860,000 klm i use every day and my 2022 computerized Hi Ace SLWB GL diesel modern Van that drives like a car, its called technology, but hey I still love using the 1994 Fiarlane every day on LPG gas at 89 cents ltr. They don't make cars like they used to anymore that's for certain.
I still love using my old D3x along with my D850, there relaxing to use as is the old Fairlane, i have the Z9 and love using it but only for certain applications, i am finding i am using it less rather than more...............why......time will tell.
24-70 2.8 G $1200 AUD used mint condition, versus the Z equivalent new at $3600 AUD !!!!!!!!!!!

Only an opinion

Last edited:
There are some nicely priced 500 Pf's falling from the sky, some have a little dust on them as many rush off to try the newby's (thank you) i have been waiting LOL

I think the 100-400 Z lens is defiantly over priced and a little overrated with that Nikon marketing.................. sorry Perception..........

While a nice option, i think it could have been defiantly lots cheaper in price, i mean the 200-500 launched at around $1400 AUD and there is a hell of a lot more material in there as well as VR.

There is defiantly profit filling Nikon's coffers..........i feel like there offering a grade 3 product at a grade 5 price.

its only an opinion

I think the 100-400 Z lens is defiantly over priced and a little overrated with that Nikon marketing.................. sorry Perception..........

While a nice option, i think it could have been defiantly lots cheaper in price, i mean the 200-500 launched at around $1400 AUD and there is a hell of a lot more material in there as well as VR.

There is defiantly profit filling Nikon's coffers..........i feel like there offering a grade 3 product at a grade 5 price.

its only an opinion
I had a bad copy of the 200-500 ... Nikon finally fixed it after 3 trips back to them. I got some great images with it in Africa after they fixed it but I preferred my Sigma 150-600 sport and my Tamron 150-600 G2 so sold it. My copy of the Z100-400 runs rings around my copy of the 200-500 in every way except top end focal length ... luck of the draw ... could have easily been the other way around :) I have a friend who had a bad copy of the Tamron G2 and it was replaced and she got another dud while her husbands that he got at the same time as her first one is stellar. Tamron replaced the second one but like my bad taste with the 200-500 she had a bad taste with the Tamron and got rid of it :) She got a 200-500 and it is a great one.

There are some nicely priced 500 Pf's falling from the sky, some have a little dust on them as many rush off to try the newby's (thank you) i have been waiting LOL
What are you considering nicely priced? I have been considering one for about the past year and they seems to have held their price pretty well on the used market. Just wondering if there has a been a change of late.

Thanks,

--Ken

I had a bad copy of the 200-500 ... Nikon finally fixed it after 3 trips back to them. I got some great images with it in Africa after they fixed it but I preferred my Sigma 150-600 sport and my Tamron 150-600 G2 so sold it. My copy of the Z100-400 runs rings around my copy of the 200-500 in every way except top end focal length ... luck of the draw ... could have easily been the other way around :) I have a friend who had a bad copy of the Tamron G2 and it was replaced and she got another dud while her husbands that he got at the same time as her first one is stellar. Tamron replaced the second one but like my bad taste with the 200-500 she had a bad taste with the Tamron and got rid of it :) She got a 200-500 and it is a great one.

I hear you and have friends with similar experiences.

Many products are punched out and vary in performance slightly, the coal face will determine what does or does not get done, that's condoned mass manufacturing for us.
I was lucky with my 200-500.

I took it into Nikon and had it checked over and said i want it to be on point at 500mm even if i need to compromise elsewhere.

So far its been sweet and defiantly on point at 500mm where i shoot mostly and it has never disappointed, as you say i have have a good one.
Later on i had an independent tech shop disconnect the drag internally so i can push pull without causing damage.

When shooting rodeo or subjects moving erratically in distance like a soccer match its much easier to just push pull for those few split moments to maintain tight framing and tracking, it makes the difference in getting money shots more often than not.

I am not recommending others do this.

The 150-500 Sigma i have (original version) has noise VR issues at times but still works a treat and has always been on the money, i even use it still today LOL, it lives in the boot with a D7100 on it just as a permanent spare.

Not worth selling for what you can get for it.

I try and have somethings tweaked for optimum performance often at a trade off elsewhere.

Maybe have Nikon look at your 100-400 and have them check all the perimeters and if 400 is critical for you they may as i have found fix that with a shift in settings with in the boundaries.

Products mass produced have always varied sometimes more sometimes less and manufactures know this................

Manufacturers Going mirror less have never saved so much money, yet we see prices going up amazingly, the sad thing is we seem to all pay what ever they ask.............

Only and opinion

I think the expense of changing brands or systems for many is not possible.
The body is mostly tolerable the lenses is what hurts.
Then for those who can afford it the tangible benefits need to be weighed up as to will it improve your photography.
If 10 to 15% of the out come is dependent on your gear it seems a hell of a price to pay.

I feel the investment is best placed in YOURSELF.
A good photographer can pretty much use any gear and deliver good results.
The market is offering at very good prices Z6II D850 D750 D500, D4s D5, D6 units are not abundant just yet.
There is so much brilliant glass on there used market its incredible.

For me the D850 is just an amazing all round master tool that just does everything well, match it up to a wholly trio with a 200-500 and a 1.4 TC and you have an incredible 90% of the filed covered at a fraction of the cost or a new system.
Yes if you can afford to get what you want anytime bless you.

I think the Z system has legs it still needs to grow, its just such a complex unfriendly menu system now, like apps on phones there endless all buying for your attention as often perceived benefits.

........well for me at least, and then the features some work well or sometimes anyway.

Don,t feel your missing out not going to mirror less because your not.............yes there are benefits but you need to measure those benefits tangible in the photographs you make.
Yes there is a difference between my 1994 Fairlane Ghia with 860,000 klm i use every day and my 2022 computerized Hi Ace SLWB GL diesel modern Van that drives like a car, its called technology, but hey I still love using the 1994 Fiarlane every day on LPG gas at 89 cents ltr. They don't make cars like they used to anymore that's for certain.
I still love using my old D3x along with my D850, there relaxing to use as is the old Fairlane, i have the Z9 and love using it but only for certain applications, i am finding i am using it less rather than more...............why......time will tell.
24-70 2.8 G $1200 AUD used mint condition, versus the Z equivalent new at $3600 AUD !!!!!!!!!!!

Only an opinion
I think you are 99 percent correct. But here's a couple of thinking points.

First, as far as people switching brands because of preceived slights by any camera company, I'll contend that maybe two percent (with a -1.5 percent margin of error) of anyone who ever says they are going leave company A to go to company B can actually afford to do it. Seems a lot like when kids yell at a parent they "I hate you" when they don't get their way and threaten to run way from home but are always back by the time the next meal is served. It's pretty normal stuff. If it was as easy as whining "(pick a brand) sucks I'm switching to (pick a brand). They are perfect in everyway" we'd all be using $15K Hasselblad medium format mirrorless bodies right now and have $70K worth of lenses sitting on our desks. To those that do shoot Hasselblad or any other medium format mirrorless and have all those cool lenses, my envy has no bounds!

You mention the Z needing to get it's legs and grow. I challenge you, or anyone else, to name one technology product of any kind that the first generation was better then the last. Computers, watches, phones or automobiles...name one that hit the ground running, was perfect and the CEO laid off the R&D staff. The point you make is valid but it's also a "so what" point because it applies to every tech product ever made. Technology evolving is the process, it's what technology does, and that's without even throwing in the fiscal and marketing aspects of any companies business plan. If people look hard enough they can find something wrong with anything.

In fairness, mouse traps might apply. I read somewhere that people try and fail all the time trying to make a better mouse trap;)

You mention the "unfriendly" Z menu. I totally disagree. Compared to what? I find it easy and intuitive and have had zero difficulty using it. Of course there is a learning curve but it's the same basic Nikon menu format as the D850 or all the other NIkons you mention. I think it's only difficult to use if one doesn't spend the time learning to use it. Unfriendly is subjective and it ain't necessarily so. Every camera menu I have ever used is pure simplicity compared to my digital microwave ovens programming menu.

l appreciate your love of you 1994 natural gas powered Ford. It sounds really nice. Where can I get one?

I think every thing else you said was right on.

Bob H

Well now, your comment is just a little condescending perhaps, implying that I'm one of those people who are so behind the times that I'm content with picture tube TVs. Hardly.
Nah. Nothing condescending about accepting peoples choices in what gear they want to use whether it's tvs or cameras. Old or new.

Let me quote myself from my last comments you referring to as being condescending and leave this post at that point.

"To each their own and if everybody is having fun the world is great."

I think you are 99 percent correct. But here's a couple of thinking points.

First, as far as people switching brands because of preceived slights by any camera company, I'll contend that maybe two percent (with a -1.5 percent margin of error) of anyone who ever says they are going leave company A to go to company B can actually afford to do it. Seems a lot like when kids yell at a parent they "I hate you" when they don't get their way and threaten to run way from home but are always back by the time the next meal is served. It's pretty normal stuff. If it was as easy as whining "(pick a brand) sucks I'm switching to (pick a brand). They are perfect in everyway" we'd all be using $15K Hasselblad medium format mirrorless bodies right now and have $70K worth of lenses sitting on our desks. To those that do shoot Hasselblad or any other medium format mirrorless and have all those cool lenses, my envy has no bounds!

You mention the Z needing to get it's legs and grow. I challenge you, or anyone else, to name one technology product of any kind that the first generation was better then the last. Computers, watches, phones or automobiles...name one that hit the ground running, was perfect and the CEO laid off the R&D staff. The point you make is valid but it's also a "so what" point because it applies to every tech product ever made. Technology evolving is the process, it's what technology does, and that's without even throwing in the fiscal and marketing aspects of any companies business plan. If people look hard enough they can find something wrong with anything.

In fairness, mouse traps might apply. I read somewhere that people try and fail all the time trying to make a better mouse trap;)

You mention the "unfriendly" Z menu. I totally disagree. Compared to what? I find it easy and intuitive and have had zero difficulty using it. Of course there is a learning curve but it's the same basic Nikon menu format as the D850 or all the other NIkons you mention. I think it's only difficult to use if one doesn't spend the time learning to use it. Unfriendly is subjective and it ain't necessarily so. Every camera menu I have ever used is pure simplicity compared to my digital microwave ovens programming menu.

l appreciate your love of you 1994 natural gas powered Ford. It sounds really nice. Where can I get one?

I think every thing else you said was right on.

Bob H
Thank you for your response and i respect the many valid points you make, for me Listening understanding is learning..............

I totally accept that development in technology is critical and i do embrace change ( Fairlane 1994 to 2022 Hi Ace) (D3x brilliant D850 brilliant Z9 ok but what is my tangible gain)......in my case embracing new technology is very selective mostly often to the limit of my intellectual capability or memory capacity.

Correction.........I feel that Nikon in their mirror less camera like the Z9 has gone from what i felt was a simple menu system to one more complex with so many added options choices things of necessity to utilize its performance that in cases is well not 100% there yet and a little disjointed.........rushed unfinished needing fixes...not friendly.

An acquaintance at the local laundry mat is an Computer engineer, he has a Z6II and said he chose it over a Z9, it took him about 5 minutes to work out how to drive mirror less, he used the Z9 for a day from a friend, it took him about 2 hours.............to work it out out fully, but did say i wouldn't want my wife to play with this LOL, its very unfinished, it was the original version.............OK now that doesn't constitute fact for everyone as its his personal opinion, he felt it would be a steep leaning curve for some people.

Nikon has actively launched educational teams to deal with the steep learning curve for many people in how to best use their menu system settings etc on the Z9.

I find i am more relaxed with less not more..........again that's me and yes practice makes perfect but when i go out to shoot i am more artistic than geekish.

I guess One hat doesn't fit all.............I still feel that mirror less still has a way to go, and that's only an opinion.

The passion

The Fairlane Ghia......my girlfriend wants to fully restore it, its a 4 ltr straight 6 cyl 4 speed auto, at 140klm ph it is doing 1900 rpm as it has one step up on the diff.
it has a factory fitted LPG gas engine with special valves, stems, pistons and con rods sort after for supercharging fanatics.
Its classic, beautiful interior all the luxury you want, cruises on a super long wheel base, 67 ltr LPG tank 67 ltr petrol tank has a highway long trip range of 1400 klm on both tanks.
Its now becoming very collectable, i have lots of spare parts hanging all over the garage wall, mud guards bumpers light assemblies.........plus.

The car has 860,000klm but i dropped in the AU 2 factory gas engine ($750 with 45,000 klm on it) at about 450,000 klm only because it was available not becuase it was needed, this engine does easily a million klm on the bottom end and 600,000 on the top end. Its only $1000 to fully overhaul the head (top End) another $1500 to do the bottom end total $2500.
The best thing is 89 cents a ltr for LPG gas, its cheaper to run than a small Toyota Corolla LOL. $50 for an oil change with filter doing it myself.

Michelin tiers $120 each at Cosoco.

$3750 AUD for a head light assembly for a Hyundai 2 ltr top of the range SUV. $1200 for the Hi Ace, $45 for the Fairlane.

I am looking for a good 1956 Star model Ford Custom-line RHD LOL

The 2022 Hi Ace i have will be used for 2 or 3 years then switched to Hybrid.

Happy days

Thank you for your response and i respect the many valid points you make, for me Listening understanding is learning..............

I totally accept that development in technology is critical and i do embrace change ( Fairlane 1994 to 2022 Hi Ace) (D3x brilliant D850 brilliant Z9 ok but what is my tangible gain)......in my case embracing new technology is very selective mostly often to the limit of my intellectual capability or memory capacity.

Correction.........I feel that Nikon in their mirror less camera like the Z9 has gone from what i felt was a simple menu system to one more complex with so many added options choices things of necessity to utilize its performance that in cases is well not 100% there yet and a little disjointed.........rushed unfinished needing fixes...not friendly.

An acquaintance at the local laundry mat is an Computer engineer, he has a Z6II and said he chose it over a Z9, it took him about 5 minutes to work out how to drive mirror less, he used the Z9 for a day from a friend, it took him about 2 hours.............to work it out out fully, but did say i wouldn't want my wife to play with this LOL, its very unfinished, it was the original version.............OK now that doesn't constitute fact for everyone as its his personal opinion, he felt it would be a steep leaning curve for some people.

Nikon has actively launched educational teams to deal with the steep learning curve for many people in how to best use their menu system settings etc on the Z9.

I find i am more relaxed with less not more..........again that's me and yes practice makes perfect but when i go out to shoot i am more artistic than geekish.

I guess One hat doesn't fit all.............I still feel that mirror less still has a way to go, and that's only an opinion.

The passion

The Fairlane Ghia......my girlfriend wants to fully restore it, its a 4 ltr straight 6 cyl 4 speed auto, at 140klm ph it is doing 1900 rpm as it has one step up on the diff.
it has a factory fitted LPG gas engine with special valves, stems, pistons and con rods sort after for supercharging fanatics.
Its classic, beautiful interior all the luxury you want, cruises on a super long wheel base, 67 ltr LPG tank 67 ltr petrol tank has a highway long trip range of 1400 klm on both tanks.
Its now becoming very collectable, i have lots of spare parts hanging all over the garage wall, mud guards bumpers light assemblies.........plus.

The car has 860,000klm but i dropped in the AU 2 factory gas engine ($750 with 45,000 klm on it) at about 450,000 klm only because it was available not becuase it was needed, this engine does easily a million klm on the bottom end and 600,000 on the top end. Its only $1000 to fully overhaul the head (top End) another $1500 to do the bottom end total $2500.
The best thing is 89 cents a ltr for LPG gas, its cheaper to run than a small Toyota Corolla LOL. $50 for an oil change with filter doing it myself.

Michelin tiers $120 each at Cosoco.

$3750 AUD for a head light assembly for a Hyundai 2 ltr top of the range SUV. $1200 for the Hi Ace, $45 for the Fairlane.

I am looking for a good 1956 Star model Ford Custom-line RHD LOL

The 2022 Hi Ace i have will be used for 2 or 3 years then switched to Hybrid.

Happy days
Sweet car and great points. Only thing I have is to mention this in regards to complexity.

You mention a friend with a Z6. I'd only ask a couple of questions. The first is did it take him two hours to work out whatever he was working out before or after he read the manual or watched expert videos on the internet of someone doing exactly what he was trying to accomplish? If he is like me he spent 2 hours trying to do it by guessing how it works without reading or viewing and then 5 minutes looking at an expert doing it in a video and another 5 minutes setting it right.

I think if you've read various forums here you've seen some of the more advance users remarks that basically say that sometimes the real problem is folks who don't have enough experience buying advanced tools and quickly becoming frustrated by the lack of instant satisfaction. They forget that a camera is a tool and the more great things it does the more you have to learn to make those things happen. You only get out of it what you put into using it.

I'd recommend he comes to this site and watch Steve Perrys great free videos or buy the outstanding books that explains so much of exactly what we are discussing. Steve does great work educating others. All the information is out there out there other places also if someone takes the time to look for it and practice using it.

Enough of that. Great chatting with you. I'm waiting on the UPS guy as I type this who is bringing a shiny new Z9 and using my favorite, a plain old great Z7, shooting some macro stuff out in th yard until the new one arrives. I'll show you later if I get anything interesting.

I hear you and have friends with similar experiences.

Many products are punched out and vary in performance slightly, the coal face will determine what does or does not get done, that's condoned mass manufacturing for us.
I was lucky with my 200-500.

I took it into Nikon and had it checked over and said i want it to be on point at 500mm even if i need to compromise elsewhere.

So far its been sweet and defiantly on point at 500mm where i shoot mostly and it has never disappointed, as you say i have have a good one.
Later on i had an independent tech shop disconnect the drag internally so i can push pull without causing damage.

When shooting rodeo or subjects moving erratically in distance like a soccer match its much easier to just push pull for those few split moments to maintain tight framing and tracking, it makes the difference in getting money shots more often than not.

I am not recommending others do this.

The 150-500 Sigma i have (original version) has noise VR issues at times but still works a treat and has always been on the money, i even use it still today LOL, it lives in the boot with a D7100 on it just as a permanent spare.

Not worth selling for what you can get for it.

I try and have somethings tweaked for optimum performance often at a trade off elsewhere.

Maybe have Nikon look at your 100-400 and have them check all the perimeters and if 400 is critical for you they may as i have found fix that with a shift in settings with in the boundaries.

Products mass produced have always varied sometimes more sometimes less and manufactures know this................

Manufacturers Going mirror less have never saved so much money, yet we see prices going up amazingly, the sad thing is we seem to all pay what ever they ask.............

Only and opinion
Push pull or turn options with the Sigma Sports and Tamrons was always nice to have. I have had Tamron fine tune lenses to my camera body but have never had Nikon do anything other than take three tries to fix my 200-500 and my f mount 1.4 TCIII ... they got it done with the third try on each. We do have a local SPT Certified Camera Technician the only one in Idaho that I know of who is quite proficient ... he went out on his own when the last camera store in Boise closed ... he says the biggest challenge he has with Nikon is how restrictive they have gotten in selling parts, only thing I have recently used him for was repairing the mount on my D6 damaged by my own dumb careless move and inspecting the 600 f/4e that was attached and caused the damage when camera and lens slid off the seat of SUV and hit the pavement on the corner pf the battery chamber cover ... he had to get the mount from a supplier outside of the US where Nikon was still selling to. I have had him clean and service various lenses and cameras in the past when he worked for the old camera store ... so glad to have him around.

My Nikon 100-400 is very good almost everywhere and that is actually how I use it when I use it since when I want it I am usually all over the focal length. Since I have the 800mm for my small bird addiction I use it 90% of the time. This evening I have a golden eagle audubon society event at our local botanical garden and will be shooting people, flowers and maybe some birds and will be using the seldom Z70-200 and packing the 1.4 TC just in case. Then I have an indoor ordination shoot at church this weekend for a young man who is my grand daughters age and grew up in our congregation, now he is a newlywed getting ready for his first pastoral assignment in Minnesota ... making me feel a bit on the ancient side.

Years ago I was a sales and marketing manager for a farm machinery manufacturing company ... and dealt with the vagaries of QC issues on a regular basis ... I do not miss those days ... many times the response from our production and engineering managers to a customer complaint was that it was within tolerances ... to the customer if was out of his tolerance level and I had to practice the tolerance of being in between the opposing points of view :)

I had both D6 and D850 and it depends on what your primary use will be ... they are both great cameras but have different niches.
I find the D6 D850 amazingly useful and easy to use.........for me the D6 just doesn't miss, Period, what ever i point it at in any conditions or light its done, spectacular.
I think the Z9 for me is not quite there yet in low light or super challenging conditions.............but hey its a great camera, even a better video camera.

If my life depended on nailing a once in a life time shot at the spur of the moment, the D6 would be it, many would disagree..........many wont.

I would need to think to much with the Z9 and be certain i have the correct presets allocated or optional settings, most of all remember what was what LOL now that's ME LOL.

I know others more proficient wouldn't be as uncomfortable, i do see some pro mates with the Z9 but are not letting go of the D6 just yet.

Doing challenging fast sports action indoors in difficult light the D6 is defiantly sticker than well any Mirror less camera regardless of brand, a bold statement LOL but not that far from the truth.

If you look at DXO sensor rankings be they rubbish or not, when you type in Sports, Portraiture, Landscape, and see the rankings, its quite interesting, i mean i would not be hanging my life on things but the consistency of the D850 in rankings across all subject fields compared to the Z9 is interesting.
The Z9 seems to perform best in portraiture of all things...............Now take the DXO ranking systems as you will either love it or leave it LOL.
But there is something there...........

Only an opinion

Back