D850 Purchase in 2022??

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Push pull or turn options with the Sigma Sports and Tamrons was always nice to have. I have had Tamron fine tune lenses to my camera body but have never had Nikon do anything other than take three tries to fix my 200-500 and my f mount 1.4 TCIII ... they got it done with the third try on each. We do have a local SPT Certified Camera Technician the only one in Idaho that I know of who is quite proficient ... he went out on his own when the last camera store in Boise closed ... he says the biggest challenge he has with Nikon is how restrictive they have gotten in selling parts, only thing I have recently used him for was repairing the mount on my D6 damaged by my own dumb careless move and inspecting the 600 f/4e that was attached and caused the damage when camera and lens slid off the seat of SUV and hit the pavement on the corner pf the battery chamber cover ... he had to get the mount from a supplier outside of the US where Nikon was still selling to. I have had him clean and service various lenses and cameras in the past when he worked for the old camera store ... so glad to have him around.

My Nikon 100-400 is very good almost everywhere and that is actually how I use it when I use it since when I want it I am usually all over the focal length. Since I have the 800mm for my small bird addiction I use it 90% of the time. This evening I have a golden eagle audubon society event at our local botanical garden and will be shooting people, flowers and maybe some birds and will be using the seldom Z70-200 and packing the 1.4 TC just in case. Then I have an indoor ordination shoot at church this weekend for a young man who is my grand daughters age and grew up in our congregation, now he is a newlywed getting ready for his first pastoral assignment in Minnesota ... making me feel a bit on the ancient side.

Years ago I was a sales and marketing manager for a farm machinery manufacturing company ... and dealt with the vagaries of QC issues on a regular basis ... I do not miss those days ... many times the response from our production and engineering managers to a customer complaint was that it was within tolerances ... to the customer if was out of his tolerance level and I had to practice the tolerance of being in between the opposing points of view :)
That's very interesting, its nice to see you enjoy what your doing, my girlfriend and I are as of this week battling with Covid, she was hit short and hard but is comming out of it ok at the moment, i am just going in.........trialing these new drugs not approved yet, they prevent long covid and a faster recovery and the spread of teh virus to vital organs, hey will give it a go what have you got to loose LOL.

I would like a 100-400 light fast and on 45 or 60 mp small sized unit like a Z6II or Z7II better still a Z8, it would be awesome, I had a Sony A9 with a 100-400 when Sony wanted me to switch camps LOL, it was impressive, I would wind 20 fps back to 10, i was just so more relaxed picking up my D4S and 200-500 again. To soon to change plus it was all new and complicated in my mind.

My hack walk around travel unit is the 28-300 on a DF with a 50mm Ziess in my back pocket, as well the D850 and 70-200 FL in the bag if needed.

If i had to just take one lens and camera then its the D850 - 70-200 FL with a 1x and 2x TC.

Night soccer matches its the Z9 300 2.8 vr II with a 1.4 TC with the D6 on the 70-200 with a 1.4 TC.

I think mass production has improved from its trial days of a decade ago, now its cheaper to push production out within the tolerance, and address issues in the filed rather than make the effort to make perfect every unit before the leave the factory.

Manufactures know that most users wont see of pick up things to critically.

This vaires greatly dpending on what which product also.

Keep well.

I find the D6 D850 amazingly useful and easy to use.........for me the D6 just doesn't miss, Period, what ever i point it at in any conditions or light its done, spectacular.
I think the Z9 for me is not quite there yet in low light or super challenging conditions.............but hey its a great camera, even a better video camera.

If my life depended on nailing a once in a life time shot at the spur of the moment, the D6 would be it, many would disagree..........many wont.

I would need to think to much with the Z9 and be certain i have the correct presets allocated or optional settings, most of all remember what was what LOL now that's ME LOL.

I know others more proficient wouldn't be as uncomfortable, i do see some pro mates with the Z9 but are not letting go of the D6 just yet.

Doing challenging fast sports action indoors in difficult light the D6 is defiantly sticker than well any Mirror less camera regardless of brand, a bold statement LOL but not that far from the truth.

If you look at DXO sensor rankings be they rubbish or not, when you type in Sports, Portraiture, Landscape, and see the rankings, its quite interesting, i mean i would not be hanging my life on things but the consistency of the D850 in rankings across all subject fields compared to the Z9 is interesting.
The Z9 seems to perform best in portraiture of all things...............Now take the DXO ranking systems as you will either love it or leave it LOL.
But there is something there...........

Only an opinion
I prefered my D6 as the catch that fast action bird over my D850 every time although not as cropable as the D850. And if I did the rare landscape etc. the D850 got the nod and over all was the more versatile of the two. The only time my D6 was not the choice for tough to get fast action shots was when I had damaged the mount :)

That's very interesting, its nice to see you enjoy what your doing, my girlfriend and I are as of this week battling with Covid, she was hit short and hard but is comming out of it ok at the moment, i am just going in.........trialing these new drugs not approved yet, they prevent long covid and a faster recovery and the spread of teh virus to vital organs, hey will give it a go what have you got to loose LOL.

I would like a 100-400 light fast and on 45 or 60 mp small sized unit like a Z6II or Z7II better still a Z8, it would be awesome, I had a Sony A9 with a 100-400 when Sony wanted me to switch camps LOL, it was impressive, I would wind 20 fps back to 10, i was just so more relaxed picking up my D4S and 200-500 again. To soon to change plus it was all new and complicated in my mind.

My hack walk around travel unit is the 28-300 on a DF with a 50mm Ziess in my back pocket, as well the D850 and 70-200 FL in the bag if needed.

If i had to just take one lens and camera then its the D850 - 70-200 FL with a 1x and 2x TC.

Night soccer matches its the Z9 300 2.8 vr II with a 1.4 TC with the D6 on the 70-200 with a 1.4 TC.

I think mass production has improved from its trial days of a decade ago, now its cheaper to push production out within the tolerance, and address issues in the filed rather than make the effort to make perfect every unit before the leave the factory.

Manufactures know that most users wont see of pick up things to critically.

This vaires greatly dpending on what which product also.

Keep well.
Bummer sorry to hear about the COVID ... hope it is this new Omicron variant that is less likely to put you in the hospital ... pray that you heal quickly. My wife just showed me a photo of a pro phogtographer friend, my first instructor that got me into action work with D300s and D4s in a hospital bed with oxygen tube in his nose ... got COVID from a student who came to class ill. We have been quite cautious and have avoided it so far. If indoors in public places or with people period in a high risk county we use N95 masks and have for many many months now.

I find the D6 D850 amazingly useful and easy to use.........for me the D6 just doesn't miss, Period, what ever i point it at in any conditions or light its done, spectacular.
I think the Z9 for me is not quite there yet in low light or super challenging conditions.............but hey its a great camera, even a better video camera.

If my life depended on nailing a once in a life time shot at the spur of the moment, the D6 would be it, many would disagree..........many wont.

I would need to think to much with the Z9 and be certain i have the correct presets allocated or optional settings, most of all remember what was what LOL now that's ME LOL.

I know others more proficient wouldn't be as uncomfortable, i do see some pro mates with the Z9 but are not letting go of the D6 just yet.

Doing challenging fast sports action indoors in difficult light the D6 is defiantly sticker than well any Mirror less camera regardless of brand, a bold statement LOL but not that far from the truth.

If you look at DXO sensor rankings be they rubbish or not, when you type in Sports, Portraiture, Landscape, and see the rankings, its quite interesting, i mean i would not be hanging my life on things but the consistency of the D850 in rankings across all subject fields compared to the Z9 is interesting.
The Z9 seems to perform best in portraiture of all things...............Now take the DXO ranking systems as you will either love it or leave it LOL.
But there is something there...........

Only an opinion

You're entitled to not approve of mirrorless. It's all good. The only way anyone will ever know what any camera does best, mirrorless or any other kind, is to pick one up with their hands and put it to their eye and use it. Only an opinion.

Your absolutely correct and i respect your view.

I am not totally against mirror less, i feel mirror less has some real advantages benefits for some things, Video especially going forward but in some applications is not the end all..

Faster frame rates, no mirror flapping, better video, with manufacturing cost savings by abolishing many VR mechanisms from many lenses and replacing it with built in body VR in the camera body.

Some manufactures got it right early in the piece and set the industry tone, others slowly caught up, some are still lagging a little after many up grades, its reasonable to assume they will get close to being all on par at some stage, then what ?

My Z9 i feel while fast, mirror less, and having excellent video was initially very much over sold over promised and slightly of the mark with focusing tracking performance with a more challenging menu system.

The initial Z6 Z7 was personally a disappointment with only a slight improvement in the Z6II Z7II that will soon see the Z8 change the game, if the rumored 12 fps 60 mp ??? improved focusing drilled down from the Z9 arrives ???

Today i feel the Z9 has improved somewhat through all the updates especially with a priority for Video.

I have had a Z9 since the 24th of December and used it for surfing, basketball indoor night time, soccer night games, football day and night, wild life, portraiture, landscape, street photography, macro, predominately on quality FX glass with adapter, and some rented Z lenses, i have used it along side a D850 and in critical applications a rented D6.

Now for what i do which doesn't necessarily apply for others is in low light critical challenging indoor conditions i prefer the D6 that just sticks like glue compared to any brand of mirror less camera, now that's my opinion only be it due to my experience or lack of experience.
Bottom line i could nail what i pointed at with the D6 not so with mirror less.

For landscapes and many other applications i prefer the D850.

For super high frame rates with less critically challenging tracking needs, or video the Z9 was used, with the video i let the Z9 out to a colleague who is versed in video-graphy, he also has the capability of editing and pulling great stills from video, i don't have high software editing skills, i usually farm this out, its cheaper and quicker.

To me

light
focusing performance
exposure
speed
= results
How easy or hard that is depends on ones own skill sets and the tools you use.
I still find the D6 just sticks better, with better colour at high iso, or challenging low light applications.

And that's only my opinion.

Last edited:
Your absolutely correct and i respect your view.

I am not totally against mirror less, i feel mirror less has some real advantages benefits for some things, Video especially going forward but in some applications is not the end all..

Faster frame rates, no mirror flapping, better video, with manufacturing cost savings by abolishing many VR mechanisms from many lenses and replacing it with built in body VR in the camera body.

Some manufactures got it right early in the piece and set the industry tone, theirs slowly caught up, some are still lagging a little after many up grades, its reasonable to assume they will get close to being all on par at some stage, then what ?

My Z9 i feel while fast, mirror less, and having excellent video was initially very much over sold over promised and slightly of the mark with focusing tracking performance with a more challenging menu system.

The initial Z6 Z7 was personally a disappointment with only a slight improvement in the Z6II Z7II that will soon see the Z8 change the game, if the rumored 12 fps 60 mp ??? improved focusing drilled down from the Z9 arrives ???

Today i feel the Z9 has improved somewhat through all the updates especially with a priority for Video.

I have had a Z9 since the 24th of December and used it for surfing, basketball indoor night time, soccer night games, football day and night, wild life, portraiture, landscape, street photography, macro, predominately on quality FX glass with adapter, and some rented Z lenses, i have used it along side a D850 and in critical applications a rented D6.

Now for what i do which doesn't necessarily apply for others is in low light critical challenging indoor conditions i prefer the D6 that just sticks like glue compared to any brand mirror less camera, now that's my opinion only be it due to my experience or lack of experience.
Bottom line i could nail what i naild with e D6 not with mirror less.

For landscapes and many other applications i prefer the D850.

For super high frame rates with less cirtically challenging tracking needs, and video the Z9, with the video i let the Z9 out to a colleague who is versed in video-geography, he also has the capability of editing and pulling great stills from video, i don't have high software editing skills, i usually farm this out, its cheaper and quicker.

To me

light
focusing performance
exposure
speed
= results
How easy or hard that is depends on ones own skill sets and the tools you use.
I still find the D6 just sticks better, with better colour at high iso, or challenging low light applications.

And that's only my opinion.
I have not used the Z9 for sports indoors or out since not something I have done since my grand kids moved on from sports :) My D4S was the tool of choice back when they were doing that indoors or out. The D6 did not come along until they had moved on from sports.

However on fast moving birds in brush in plain sky etc. I find the Z9 to be better than the D6 especially since firmware 2.1 update which even made Auto Area AF Focus with animal tracking on quite effective even in the brush. I had never found Auto Area AF useful before on DSLR or Z6II or Z9 before 2.1 so that was a bit of a shock.

One major disclaimer I shoot a lot of birds in challenging places and get a lot of practice in how to do it with the Z9 so others results may vary and the Z800pf is a definite help with the little buggers :)

Bummer sorry to hear about the COVID ... hope it is this new Omicron variant that is less likely to put you in the hospital ... pray that you heal quickly. My wife just showed me a photo of a pro phogtographer friend, my first instructor that got me into action work with D300s and D4s in a hospital bed with oxygen tube in his nose ... got COVID from a student who came to class ill. We have been quite cautious and have avoided it so far. If indoors in public places or with people period in a high risk county we use N95 masks and have for many many months now.
Its the Covid before Omicron so they say, we have these antiviral tablets that cost $1200 subsidized that seem to prevent the virus damaging or affecting other organs ?? also said so we don't get long covid as well as recovering quickly 8 tablets a day for 5 days.

My girlfriend had a brief bad situation of exhaling but struggling to breath in easily, i was ready to call an ambulance, it was frigheting to watch, she started to panic a little understandably then went into yoga mediation focusing on her breath, she relaxed enough to get through that brief period, since then the antiviral tablets we assume had prevented further situations occurring, she is day 8 and slowly getting around.

Loved my D300 and especially the D4s

I have not used the Z9 for sports indoors or out since not something I have done since my grand kids moved on from sports :) My D4S was the tool of choice back when they were doing that indoors or out. The D6 did not come along until they had moved on from sports.

However on fast moving birds in brush in plain sky etc. I find the Z9 to be better than the D6 especially since firmware 2.1 update which even made Auto Area AF Focus with animal tracking on quite effective even in the brush. I had never found Auto Area AF useful before on DSLR or Z6II or Z9 before 2.1 so that was a bit of a shock.

One major disclaimer I shoot a lot of birds in challenging places and get a lot of practice in how to do it with the Z9 so others results may vary and the Z800pf is a definite help with the little buggers :)
That's great info, i am due to get the 2.1 update when next into Nikon.

Basket Ball indoors at night and or soccer is a tough gig regardless of tools used.
Some tools do things easier or better than others.

I usually need F2.8 glass hence i still have the 300 2.8 VR II with et 1.4 TCIII.
The 70-200 FL works so well also.

Like BIF crossing heavily contrasted backgrounds is a similar issue to 3 guys jumping into the hoop of a game, the Z9 is amazingly fast with its attack speed at 20 fps but if it gets confused and jumps around regardless of what you try then ok its back to the drawing room.

The setting of 3 to 5 to make it stick more doesn't help all the time.

I switch the tracking off more often than not and shoot like a DSLR.

The D6 nails what ever i point it at, even the BIF in front of a busy background as does the D850

Only an opinion

That's great info, i am due to get the 2.1 update when next into Nikon.

Basket Ball indoors at night and or soccer is a tough gig regardless of tools used.
Some tools do things easier or better than others.

I usually need F2.8 glass hence i still have the 300 2.8 VR II with et 1.4 TCIII.
The 70-200 FL works so well also.

Like BIF crossing heavily contrasted backgrounds is a similar issue to 3 guys jumping into the hoop of a game, the Z9 is amazingly fast with its attack speed at 20 fps but if it gets confused and jumps around regardless of what you try then ok its back to the drawing room.

The setting of 3 to 5 to make it stick more doesn't help all the time.

I switch the tracking off more often than not and shoot like a DSLR.

The D6 nails what ever i point it at, even the BIF in front of a busy background as does the D850

Only an opinion
I am jealous that you can just go into Nikon ... that would be days of travel overnight stays etc. for me. I have my video button set to recall shooting functions hold and the only thing checked is to turn subject recognition off ... so with one push I essentially have a D6/D850 in my hands but with faster frame rates available, I can move my focus point all over the screen and see a live histogram and adjust ev on the fly with lens control rings. I used to use that frequently with birds in heavy cover but now with 2.1 so far only if I am wanting to shoot something that is not a critter :)

I am jealous that you can just go into Nikon ... that would be days of travel overnight stays etc. for me. I have my video button set to recall shooting functions hold and the only thing checked is to turn subject recognition off ... so with one push I essentially have a D6/D850 in my hands but with faster frame rates available, I can move my focus point all over the screen and see a live histogram and adjust ev on the fly with lens control rings. I used to use that frequently with birds in heavy cover but now with 2.1 so far only if I am wanting to shoot something that is not a critter :)
Once over my Covid isolation and i am well, i will pop into Nikon and have them do the update to 2.1 as it seems to address a lot more of the short falls in tracking etc, i hope certainly in stickiness..

Using the lens control ring seems a clever idea very innovative, it seems just a different way to adjust the assigned feature while holding down the assigned tracking button on the camera, did i get his right, It sounds a bit like using short cuts on a key board LOL.

In 98% of cases for mooving subjects i shoot manual with floated ISO and only if needed adjust the Fstop a little or the shutter speed........

I have everything turned of and as you say shoot the z9 like a D850 D6, i have one button assigned to allow 3 d tracking instantly which i use for small fast subjects in wild life but rarely, mostly i like to do my own focusing and tracking generally.

I do miss the Group setting.

I Love the video in this camera, i am not a Video fan normally or an expert but gee whiz i enjoy using this Z9 Video form time to time, for pro or client applications i have a video guy that does all the z9 video stuff especially with events.

Once over my Covid isolation and i am well, i will pop into Nikon and have them do the update to 2.1 as it seems to address a lot more of the short falls in tracking etc, i hope certainly in stickiness..

Using the lens control ring seems a clever idea very innovative, it seems just a different way to adjust the assigned feature while holding down the assigned tracking button on the camera, did i get his right, It sounds a bit like using short cuts on a key board LOL.

In 98% of cases for mooving subjects i shoot manual with floated ISO and only if needed adjust the Fstop a little or the shutter speed........

I have everything turned of and as you say shoot the z9 like a D850 D6, i have one button assigned to allow 3 d tracking instantly which i use for small fast subjects in wild life but rarely, mostly i like to do my own focusing and tracking generally.

I do miss the Group setting.

I Love the video in this camera, i am not a Video fan normally or an expert but gee whiz i enjoy using this Z9 Video form time to time, for pro or client applications i have a video guy that does all the z9 video stuff especially with events.
When using the control ring to adjust the EV .. if I am using just the auto are AF (recently auto area af with animal tracking on) that is the default on the shutter release half press then no other button to hold ... if using one of the fn buttons with a diff. auto area af such as single point or custom wide area 2 at 5x3 etc. then I would be holding that button down while adjusting the ev if needed. Ditto if I am holding the AF/On button down with my thumb and engaging 3d.

I shoot a lot of birds for identification purposes in oddball lighting and cover so not for "art" here are some examples from my last outing with the default on shutter release button half press for these as Auto Area AF with animal recognition on. Was using the control ring on the Z800pf to adjust EV as needed.

The first two are a Red-naped Sapsucker and a Williamson's Sapsucker.

The last one just because it makes me smile watching a Broad-tailed Hummingbird poking a Rufous Hummingbird who are usually the bullies of a feeder :)

Z91_1226.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z91_1266.jpg

Z91_0972.jpg

When using the control ring to adjust the EV .. if I am using just the auto are AF (recently auto area af with animal tracking on) that is the default on the shutter release half press then no other button to hold ... if using one of the fn buttons with a diff. auto area af such as single point or custom wide area 2 at 5x3 etc. then I would be holding that button down while adjusting the ev if needed. Ditto if I am holding the AF/On button down with my thumb and engaging 3d.

I shoot a lot of birds for identification purposes in oddball lighting and cover so not for "art" here are some examples from my last outing with the default on shutter release button half press for these as Auto Area AF with animal recognition on. Was using the control ring on the Z800pf to adjust EV as needed.

The first two are a Red-naped Sapsucker and a Williamson's Sapsucker.

The last one just because it makes me smile watching a Broad-tailed Hummingbird poking a Rufous Hummingbird who are usually the bullies of a feeder :)

View attachment 44139View attachment 44140

View attachment 44138

What amazing characters these birds are

I have a Z7 but still use my D850 a lot. A great camera, and if I'm shooting BIF I'll always grab it over my Z7. It doesn't stop being a great camera just because something new has come out.

I have a Z7 but still use my D850 a lot. A great camera, and if I'm shooting BIF I'll always grab it over my Z7. It doesn't stop being a great camera just because something new has come out.

Absolutely agree, i love the size and weight of the Z7 series and as a camera has stunning image files.............but yes the D850 just does everything so well, i have no complaints with it even for sports action, in fact i will use the D850 more than any other camera even over the Z9 which i use often but more selectively............and there are reasons for that be they tangible or psychosomatic.

I find you need to enjoy your self..............especially the journey.

I go out some days and will take an old camera and lens example the mates D3S on my 150-500 Sigma and mono pod............or a DF with a 50mm 1.4 Ziess and mono pod shooting full manual, why...well its nice to do something different and hone your skill sets as well as getting different effects.

Yes its nice to jump on the Z9 and use 3d Tracking where it works reliably and yes do creative stuff at 20 30 0r 120 fps its an enjoyable learning curve.

A wedding photo recently got attention from the clients as their absolute money shot also adored by family and friends overall.

It was taken outside in the gardens amongst trees with filtering light rays, lower light with lots of shadows, with patches of golden light.....

It was taken on a D3S and 80-200 2.8 D using a mono pod at F4 and 8000 iso, when cropped showed a little grain and noise.......when blown up to a meter squared framed under non reflective art glass, it was WOW..........it didnt have that clinical bleeding sharp sterile technically precise scanned look.

The photo was taken by the young intern, she was great full to be able just be a fill in as a 4th shooter getting the experience, her only compliant was the gear was so heavy.............and rightly so.

Love what you do

What an amazing wild life selection you have to choose from, beautiful animals, lovely to see ....................

Back