Do you share the location of your favorite spots?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I took the local Audubon group to see a rare orchid, its flower wasn't fully open and when I went back a couple of days later there was a hole in the ground where the orchid had been.
A sub thread - all plants need their individual mix of rain, drainage, soil type, minerals in the soil and particularly underground fungi to grow.

It does no harm and occasionally some good to mention that rare plants are rare because they need specific and very local growing conditions and cannot usually be relocated.

Thanks for posting this question, as I think it brings up some very interesting points and should offer us some pause for thought.
As to the answer to your basic question, I do not share locations on the web, to those who ask via email, IG, Facebook, etc... Furthermore, with the exception of two photographer/environmentalists like myself, I do not share my locations.
Reason:
First, let's acknowledge that in the US there are many known locations to photograph wildlife in captivating locations. These include places like Florida wetlands, East Coast wetlands, National Parks, and state parks. One simply needs to look on the NP, SP, or known city tourism sites, find if their is a loop road, boardwalk, or "birding tips" to know where to go. This data is freely available to the public and one expects to find photographers in these locations... like the Hayden Valley in Yellowstone, Sage Meadows in the Tetons, or Corkscrew Swamp in Florida... to name a few.

Why I don't share...
Twenty-five years ago wildlife photography was relegated to the more hardcore photographer. Sure, people brought their cameras on vacation to National Parks and purchased lenses that were used once or twice a year, but these cameras produced prints or slides from film, were generally good enough for the photo album, but were relatively poor in composition, exposure, and timing. Film was expensive and photography required knowledge about exposure, appropriate shutter speed, and best apertures for a given image. I used to travel with 50 to 100 rolls of Velvia & Ektachrome and hope for 20 good shots. I made money, and nobody went to the places I went. In fact I spent 8 days backpacking in Denali to get a few good bear landscapes hiking through an autumnal tundra-covered hill... Back then I could tell someone where I saw a great grey owl, and nobody would care.
Enter the present... Relatively little knowledge is required to make a decent photo. People have become actors in their own reality shows and want to be famous (whatever that means). Instagram and Facebook feed the dopamine addiction with their little hearts, and people now have instant access to every possible location. As a result, if only 3 percent of the so-called - wildlife photographers disrespect a location, the place becomes spoiled, the wildlife becomes wary, and often suffers from the human intrusions.
Case in point... in 1993 I went to the Sax-Zim Bog 3 or 4 times to photograph hawk and great gray owls. These trips were either day long or multi-day trips. The location was disclosed to me by an owl researcher who wanted photos to share with her class. I was an ecologist/photographer/biology teacher. In the time I was there, I saw only myself and shooting partner as well as one resident who lived at the edge of the bog. Today, if one goes to the bog in winter, you will encounter birding tour busses and at least 50 other vehicles driving back and forth on the same road and visiting the same feeders. The location is spoiled for photographer and for the wildlife... the charm is gone. I can recount endless stories like this.

Moral... if you've got a special spot, keep it to yourself as you will be doing your wildlife subjects a huge favor.

bruce

Thanks for posting this question, as I think it brings up some very interesting points and should offer us some pause for thought.
As to the answer to your basic question, I do not share locations on the web, to those who ask via email, IG, Facebook, etc... Furthermore, with the exception of two photographer/environmentalists like myself, I do not share my locations.
Reason:
First, let's acknowledge that in the US there are many known locations to photograph wildlife in captivating locations. These include places like Florida wetlands, East Coast wetlands, National Parks, and state parks. One simply needs to look on the NP, SP, or known city tourism sites, find if their is a loop road, boardwalk, or "birding tips" to know where to go. This data is freely available to the public and one expects to find photographers in these locations... like the Hayden Valley in Yellowstone, Sage Meadows in the Tetons, or Corkscrew Swamp in Florida... to name a few.

Why I don't share...
Twenty-five years ago wildlife photography was relegated to the more hardcore photographer. Sure, people brought their cameras on vacation to National Parks and purchased lenses that were used once or twice a year, but these cameras produced prints or slides from film, were generally good enough for the photo album, but were relatively poor in composition, exposure, and timing. Film was expensive and photography required knowledge about exposure, appropriate shutter speed, and best apertures for a given image. I used to travel with 50 to 100 rolls of Velvia & Ektachrome and hope for 20 good shots. I made money, and nobody went to the places I went. In fact I spent 8 days backpacking in Denali to get a few good bear landscapes hiking through an autumnal tundra-covered hill... Back then I could tell someone where I saw a great grey owl, and nobody would care.
Enter the present... Relatively little knowledge is required to make a decent photo. People have become actors in their own reality shows and want to be famous (whatever that means). Instagram and Facebook feed the dopamine addiction with their little hearts, and people now have instant access to every possible location. As a result, if only 3 percent of the so-called - wildlife photographers disrespect a location, the place becomes spoiled, the wildlife becomes wary, and often suffers from the human intrusions.
Case in point... in 1993 I went to the Sax-Zim Bog 3 or 4 times to photograph hawk and great gray owls. These trips were either day long or multi-day trips. The location was disclosed to me by an owl researcher who wanted photos to share with her class. I was an ecologist/photographer/biology teacher. In the time I was there, I saw only myself and shooting partner as well as one resident who lived at the edge of the bog. Today, if one goes to the bog in winter, you will encounter birding tour busses and at least 50 other vehicles driving back and forth on the same road and visiting the same feeders. The location is spoiled for photographer and for the wildlife... the charm is gone. I can recount endless stories like this.

Moral... if you've got a special spot, keep it to yourself as you will be doing your wildlife subjects a huge favor.

bruce
I couldn’t agree more!

Reason:

Why I don't share...

bruce

That sure does sound familiar and parallels my experience in a number of different places. Sax-Zim is like our elk range here in Pennsylvania, back in the 1970s there would only be handful of photographers trying to photograph some of the 60-70 elk in the state; now there are over 1000 elk, a multi-million dollar visitor center, a large parking lot and tour busses on a narrow 1 1/2 lane road. I hate the place now and my old friend who lived among the elk his entire life must be crying in his grave. Most of the old wild places now have marked hiking/skiing/ATV/snowmobile/equestrian trails plus gas wells, pipelines and access roads. All I can say some days is that I'm glad I'm old because I don't want to see what the future holds.

Just a question, but have you considered that part of the ability to bring these animals back there and keeping them going is driven by tourism and all?

I get it, but there's other perspectives here too.

It's like how hunters end up paying a lot of taxes and fees that go towards conservation, on top of the work a lot of them do (at least around here).

That sure does sound familiar and parallels my experience in a number of different places. Sax-Zim is like our elk range here in Pennsylvania, back in the 1970s there would only be handful of photographers trying to photograph some of the 60-70 elk in the state; now there are over 1000 elk, a multi-million dollar visitor center, a large parking lot and tour busses on a narrow 1 1/2 lane road. I hate the place now and my old friend who lived among the elk his entire life must be crying in his grave. Most of the old wild places now have marked hiking/skiing/ATV/snowmobile/equestrian trails plus gas wells, pipelines and access roads. All I can say some days is that I'm glad I'm old because I don't want to see what the future holds.
Cameron's Quote: "
Just a question, but have you considered that part of the ability to bring these animals back there and keeping them going is driven by tourism and all?
It's like how hunters end up paying a lot of taxes and fees that go towards conservation, on top of the work a lot of them do (at least around here)."

There have been so many places that have become "wildlife destinations."
I don't begrudge a community wanting to make money form their natural assets, but it's the nature loving community's responsibility to ensure that this type of tourism does no harm.
Regarding hunting and nature tourism... I do not disagree with Cameron's point, but there has to be a balance that allows for sustainable access. Where there is no doubt that hunting contributes to land thus wildlife conservation, so do contributions to the Nature Conservancy, Audubon, NRDC, Sierra Club, and one's state's DNR. I am thankful that hunters pay for their opportunity to hunt, but I know that I contribute many times more money each year to non-profits that buy and manage land. Everyone likes to point to the role of hunters, but there are as many of us who do not hunt, and yet freely give money to protect natural resources.

bruce

Last edited:

It's like how hunters end up paying a lot of taxes and fees that go towards conservation, on top of the work a lot of them do (at least around here).
Probably going to get flamed but I agree. In the US a big part of the reason we have wildlife to photograph and habitat in which they live is because of the fees paid by fishermen and hunters. I can hear the birders howl if there was an excise tax on their binoculars, bird books or if they had to purchase a license like hunters and fishers do.

Back to the question, my answer is it depends. The overwhelming majority of my outdoor photography takes place in Federal Preserves, National Wildlife Refuges, State, Local, and National Parks and National Forest lands. Other people pay their taxes and have every bit as much right to be there as I do. While I would like to have some area all to myself, that rarely is the case. One thing I have found is once you get about 1 mile up the trail away from where the cars are parked, the number of people you see goes down to nearly zero.

I had one ornithologist / licensed bander tell me I was too close to an eagle nest. I pulled out my laser rangefinder to show him I was indeed over 80 yards away. He still told me to back off. A few days later, I drove by the nest and there he was with his students climbing the tree to band the eaglets. Now, tell me which causes more stress, a photographer 83 yards away or a classroom full of college kids with tables and canopies below the tree and someone climbing the tree to pull the eaglets out, band them, draw blood and conduct "scientific research?" Reason I post this is we all have a tendency to think our activity is OK and someone else's is bad. I won't mention the school or location because this fellow really is a nice guy and very friendly when seen out in the field (it is not close to my home but I have visited the area several times and met the fellow). He wasn't being snotty or anything like that. The point is we excuse our own actions and criticize others. Human nature.

I guess in closing, my answer is it depends. I just try not to get my shorts in a knot over such things.
[edited for clarity. I tend to repeat myself and it becomes confusing.]
Jeff

Last edited:
Now that I'm living (and photographing) in the midst of a 3 million people plus greater metropolitan area I try not hint at where I've taken the shots. That's mostly for the sake of the wildlife but also in response to the sheer number of folks that now frequent the green spaces since the pandemic. Getting crowded out by fellow photographers is one thing but the sheer number of 'tourists' is in this city area at least having a very visible impact upon the physical space, before even the impact on wildlife. The inevitable question "did you see anything?" I now answer with 'Not a thing!" :) And the often given indirectly (usually sneered :) ) comment of 'there's nothing here what could he possible be taking photographs of?' I throw a 'You'd be amazed what you'd see if you kept quiet and just took in this beautiful space!' :) As a few have already said when I'm in a large area already known for wildlife (e.g. Jasper National Park) I usally identify at that level but never specifically where in the space.

Now that I'm living (and photographing) in the midst of a 3 million people plus greater metropolitan area I try not hint at where I've taken the shots. That's mostly for the sake of the wildlife but also in response to the sheer number of folks that now frequent the green spaces since the pandemic. Getting crowded out by fellow photographers is one thing but the sheer number of 'tourists' is in this city area at least having a very visible impact upon the physical space, before even the impact on wildlife. The inevitable question "did you see anything?" I now answer with 'Not a thing!" :) And the often given indirectly (usually sneered :) ) comment of 'there's nothing here what could he possible be taking photographs of?' I throw a 'You'd be amazed what you'd see if you kept quiet and just took in this beautiful space!' :) As a few have already said when I'm in a large area already known for wildlife (e.g. Jasper National Park) I usally identify at that level but never specifically where in the space.
lol great response😆

My answer to this is a definite no. I have did this a few times in the past with close friends and before you know it, they have told a few of their friends and you end up with a crowd gathered at your favorite spots. One thing I’ve learned in my 50 years on this earth is most human beings cannot keep secrets lol. I found having lived in six states in my adult life that it typically takes about two years at a spot to really get familiar with the migration times and such to really get a grasp on things. I have spent a few hundred hours at spots and a lot of times even without a camera scoping out things to find the best areas. Having said that, I don’t think a lot of people understand how much work is involved in scoping an area out. I have a couple what I consider close friends here in Missouri that I would definitely take to a spot but that’s about where it ends. I’ve had folks in the past get mad at me on social media because I wouldn’t disclose an exact location where I shot a subject, but I don’t think they understand how much works going and into finding those spots. Just curious how others feel about disclosing their favorite local locations.
I once photographed and posted a shot of a very large Whitetail Buck (180+) and included the county. Unscrupulous hunters got a plat book, located my property by using my name, and trespassed trying to shoot the deer. It was amazing the efforts these slob hunters will go to. As far as I can tell, they never got the deer.

I once photographed and posted a shot of a very large Whitetail Buck (180+) and included the county. Unscrupulous hunters got a plat book, located my property by using my name, and trespassed trying to shoot the deer. It was amazing the efforts these slob hunters will go to. As far as I can tell, they never got the deer.
Yes, and I have experience that same situation I have had hunters ask me several times where I photographed a subject, and I just refused to tell them. I am absolutely not against hunting and used to many years ago but now I’m more into admiring the animals instead of killing them.

Well, there is a big difference between a hunter and a poacher. The latter is what you encountered. I hope you did contact law enforcement.

I once had a rare bird (for California west of the Sierra Nevada) in the almond tree outside my kitchen window and out of respect for my wife's sanity and my own safety I did not disclose the location.

sphnuc03.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My answer to this is a definite no. I have did this a few times in the past with close friends and before you know it, they have told a few of their friends and you end up with a crowd gathered at your favorite spots. One thing I’ve learned in my 50 years on this earth is most human beings cannot keep secrets lol. I found having lived in six states in my adult life that it typically takes about two years at a spot to really get familiar with the migration times and such to really get a grasp on things. I have spent a few hundred hours at spots and a lot of times even without a camera scoping out things to find the best areas. Having said that, I don’t think a lot of people understand how much work is involved in scoping an area out. I have a couple what I consider close friends here in Missouri that I would definitely take to a spot but that’s about where it ends. I’ve had folks in the past get mad at me on social media because I wouldn’t disclose an exact location where I shot a subject, but I don’t think they understand how much works going and into finding those spots. Just curious how others feel about disclosing their favorite local locations.
You've been starting some good threads lately! This one has my memory churn turning. I was once leaving a popular spot for birds in Toronto with my camera and two people came up to me seperately while I was walking and effectively told me I was in the wrong place "THE bird" I was looking for was further down the lakeshore in a different park.... I smiled and nodded and kept on going. When leaving in my car someone actually sprinted across the parking lot and knocked on my window and I opened my window to be told the location of some rare bird spotted nearby; had I got a shot. I simply continued on my way home; saw photos in the paper later that week, not of the bird, but of the CROWDS standing before a small stand of trees....

You've been starting some good threads lately! This one has my memory churn turning. I was once leaving a popular spot for birds in Toronto with my camera and two people came up to me seperately while I was walking and effectively told me I was in the wrong place "THE bird" I was looking for was further down the lakeshore in a different park.... I smiled and nodded and kept on going. When leaving in my car someone actually sprinted across the parking lot and knocked on my window and I opened my window to be told the location of some rare bird spotted nearby; had I got a shot. I simply continued on my way home; saw photos in the paper later that week, not of the bird, but of the CROWDS standing before a small stand of trees....
Man, that is really a bummer

Like most things, it all depends. If a trusted friend or acquaintance, then I have no problem sharing or, if in the field with other photographers, then generally I’m OK sharing tips. Otherwise, generally not, especially when it involves a wildlife subject that spooks easily or gets easily stressed (e.g. owls or eagles).

Like many here, for me it depends...

How acclimated to people are the subjects I'm shooting? Is it an unprotected nesting area where someone who won't keep a respectful distance possibly scare the birds off the nest or abandon their chicks? That's a definite "No". It is a relatively well-known area to begin with on a migratory path where I would simply be sharing the appearance of a species on their migration? That's a probable "Yes".

I generally don't share specifics of a location on social media (I will share the general area); specifics I tend to share with other photographers I know well and trust.

Birders (twitchers) are the worst - and some even admitted to me outright that all they care about it seeing it.
They don't care to disturb birds just to get a sighting.
They trample all over private property - mine - several times.
They disturb birds in their nest - seen that too often
The play calls from their apps - which disturbs some species into abandoning their young in the nest. Even the so-called well informed birders.
Anything to get the numbers up for their sightings.
I don't care if I shoot a pigeon or a Vogelkop Superb bird-of-paradise. While it would be nice to shoot that rare bird - it simply isn't important enough to me. If it's not a known location - do we really want other people to get the same shots we got?
Isn't it difficult enough already to get something different?
I have two comments to add to this line of thought. First, a close friend is a very accomplished, very studious and very experienced birder. I've accused her of treating birding as a matter of life and death, which she denies saying "Its much more important than that". She is also quite adamant that, indeed, birders are simply the worst, and she would equally adamantly confirm every once of your comments and add many more. All of this was driven home to her 15+ years ago when she photographed and then posted information on an online birding site about a rare ground-nesting bird she had identified in a farming area about 1-1/2 hours away from a metropolitan area. Within hours more than a dozen "birders" had seen her post and rushed out to try to find the bird. The next day she returned to find the rural farm road lined with parked cars and too many birders to count traipsing all over the farm field searching for the very shy and reclusive birds and their nest. She walked out into the field and found the nest trampled and the eggs crushed, the adult birds having fled the area. She has never again shared any location information about the birds she finds, and is regularly accused of somehow "faking" the images she posts since she won't disclose the locations so others can "confirm" that the bird(s) exist (I thought that was what the photos are for?).

Second, some of those very birders can be a phenomenal resource for a wildlife photographer. I'll use my friend as an example. She has studied birds, their habitats, feeding and nesting patterns, calls and migration for 50+ years. She has spent more time in the field than all but the most dedicated of wildlife photographers, and regularly sees and identifies not just birds, but all of the mammals, reptiles spiders flowers, plants and other interesting things we like to photograph. She can walk into almost any open space, right down to a small backyard garden, look around at the trees, shrubs and plants and tell you what birds you will most likely find there. We have been out walking and heard the faintest, most innocuous sound which she has immediately identified as belonging to some specific bird, and using her knowledge of the rest of the birds behaviors, quickly located and confirmed the bird. But....while desperately wanting to photograph and document her bird sightings, she is at best an inept photographer, lacking the equipment, experience, knowledge and skill needed to capture good images of her bird finds. She has jumped at the chance to take me out into the field with her to capture the images she cannot, is willing to explain how she finds her birds, and to pass on some of the hard-earned knowledge as we go. And to me, unlike many of you who have posted on this thread and regularly on this site, that is knowledge that I am sorely lacking, and time in the field with her is at least 10-times as valuable to my wildlife photography acumen as time spent alone wandering through the hills. And even with my basic equipment and rudimentary skills, I can provide her with the images she desires documenting some of the birds she can find. Good Trade.

If, and yes, it is a big IF, but if you are less experienced in the field than many of the true artisans on this website, and if you can find the right "Birder" who is interested in some form of cooperation or collaboration, you may find an invaluable resource to greatly improve your odds of finding excellent and diverse subjects for your endeavors. The same can be said of dedicated hunters, who can spend days and days in the field in advance of hunting seasons scouting for game and determining movement patterns.

To add my two cents worth (well, maybe even one-cent is bragging) in answering the original question, I am willing to share general information about well known areas to find wildlife as there is no harm to be done, as well as sharing very specific location information, but only with those who I trust, and then in a confidential manner, not via a social media post.

Elk were reintroduced to Pennsylvania in the 1910s and '20s and were hunted for a few years, the population plummeted until there were probably only 30-40 in the 1950s and then climbed to less than 80 which is when I began photographing them in the 1970s. The elk had been ignored for many years until the possibility of attaining a huntable population became a factor, then the PA Game Commission and the PA Bureau of Forestry began habitat management programs which built the population. Eventually the economic value of elk tourism was viewed as a boon to a remote rural area, but as tourism increased there was no real consideration of the adverse impacts of hordes of tourists on either the resource or local residents who don't cater to the tourists.

I haven't hunted in many years, but don't have an ethical objection to hunting; most hunters care about the resource and certainly contribute, even if indirectly, to conservation of habitat and management of non-hunted species. Unfortunately, at least here in Pennsylvania, the same can't really be said for photographers, birders, and wildlife viewers. I recall when I was part of an effort to create an excise tax on cameras, lenses, binoculars, field guides and similar items comparable to the excise taxes on firearms, ammunition and fishing equipment paid by hunters and fishers -- the opposition from those who might have to pay the tax was deafening and the idea went nowhere. Don't bother telling me why there shouldn't be a tax on those things, I've heard it all before.

Last edited:
Back