Do you share the location of your favorite spots?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

IMHO it's unwise to paint birders (twitchers), photographers or hunters with too broad a brush. Within each of these groups are thoughtful, knowledgable people whose primary goal is to "do no harm" to the wildlife populations, and also those whose primary goal is checking a trophy off the list without regard to habitat or wildlife.

With this in mind I'll try to discern someone's primary goal before sharing lesser-known locations.

There are 3 or 4 people that I would share any findings with and if it's a rare sighting I'd text them immediately and they would do the same. If that wasn't the case I'd have never seen a Saw-whet in the wild.

Generally no. With fellow photographers whom I know are ethical in their treatment of wildlife and the enviornent I will usually share general locations. For example, I might share something like I have had good luck spotting elk along Forest Road 96 in Arizona’s Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest.

I learned from hard experience. Keep your mouth shut. In fact - sometimes don't even post that "thing" on social media
My experience, also. I invest a lot of time locating spots for birds and other wildlife, and I have been given access to locations on private property because the property owner knows that 1) I will respect the property and the wildlife and 2) that I will not share the location with others. Also, I stopped posting on social media a few years ago when I was called all sorts of nasty names when I refused to share the location of a Snowy Owl in my area.

I'm 100% with the OP.
His time and effort. His privacy. No one has any right to require him to give up the specific location(s).
And if you are so inclined to ask, because you want a shortcut to a special spot-then get out and do the work yourself.
And, if you are just 'interested'-then give it up and enjoy his pictures.

I generally share because I live in an urban area where the wildlife doesn't mind people too much, and I haven't had a very bad experience sharing locations yet. I do like to keep some spots to myself though, such as a certain owl spot and my red shouldered hawk spot.

My answer to this is a definite no. I have did this a few times in the past with close friends and before you know it, they have told a few of their friends and you end up with a crowd gathered at your favorite spots. One thing I’ve learned in my 50 years on this earth is most human beings cannot keep secrets lol. I found having lived in six states in my adult life that it typically takes about two years at a spot to really get familiar with the migration times and such to really get a grasp on things. I have spent a few hundred hours at spots and a lot of times even without a camera scoping out things to find the best areas. Having said that, I don’t think a lot of people understand how much work is involved in scoping an area out. I have a couple what I consider close friends here in Missouri that I would definitely take to a spot but that’s about where it ends. I’ve had folks in the past get mad at me on social media because I wouldn’t disclose an exact location where I shot a subject, but I don’t think they understand how much works going and into finding those spots. Just curious how others feel about disclosing their favorite local locations.
My special places - Absolutely positively NOT NEVER , Zip Zero no one.

Unless its an open public popular spot that is crowded and all over the internet, which in that case often the damage has already been done.

Social media has ruined so many spots now especially with tourists.

Thankfully i don't do social media, i have no desire, need or care for it.

Only an opinion

A wise fisherman might tell you what he caught, but he ain't gonna tell you where he caught it. I've seen so many places here in Florida get messed up by crowds I learned a long time ago to keep a few places in my pocket.

A wise fisherman might tell you what he caught, but he ain't gonna tell you where he caught it. I've seen so many places here in Florida get messed up by crowds I learned a long time ago to keep a few places in my pocket.
Absolutely the golden rule never reveal your fishing spot, some of the places devastated is tragic.

Here mention a hot fishing spot showing your catch especially on social media and you will see coaches pull up.

Like so many others, it depends. If it is a well known spot, then I will probably share with good photography friends. If it is a spot that is not known, I generally keep it to myself, especially if it is a rare or endangered bird/animal etc where disturbing it may be unwise, or the habitat is in danger of too much traffic etc.

My answer to this is a definite no. I have did this a few times in the past with close friends and before you know it, they have told a few of their friends and you end up with a crowd gathered at your favorite spots. One thing I’ve learned in my 50 years on this earth is most human beings cannot keep secrets lol. I found having lived in six states in my adult life that it typically takes about two years at a spot to really get familiar with the migration times and such to really get a grasp on things. I have spent a few hundred hours at spots and a lot of times even without a camera scoping out things to find the best areas. Having said that, I don’t think a lot of people understand how much work is involved in scoping an area out. I have a couple what I consider close friends here in Missouri that I would definitely take to a spot but that’s about where it ends. I’ve had folks in the past get mad at me on social media because I wouldn’t disclose an exact location where I shot a subject, but I don’t think they understand how much works going and into finding those spots. Just curious how others feel about disclosing their favorite local locations.
Not sure if this is relevant to disclosing your best fishing spot or where you hang your tree stand during deer season. These can and have led to stupid confrontations. Sharing a location that is productive for any pursuit invites investigation by the recipient. This is a tricky question… Another photographer is not going to catch that large trout you’ve been working on or take that monster buck you have figured out. Secret spots are just that… You’ve worked hard to find the perfect spot to get that super image. Why tell? How would you react or feel if you had not scored that “super shot” after weeks of being at a location….. and your buddy comes in after you and nails it.
If it’s a well known location you have nothing to gripe about, especially if the info is provided by guides or park rangers, et al.. Another point, if you share this location with a friend and they use it and don’t tell you, are they really your friend?

NEVER! I was once photographing bioluminescent mushrooms in a very dark wood. Someone spotted my light and came calling. He got very excited and rushed off to get his gear. I left and never saw him again. I went back 2 weeks later and found the woodland completely trampled and every location that I had shown him marked with fluorescent tape and ALL the fungi damaged. Apparently he posted his images and gave detailed locations plus the fluorescent tape for easy finding at night. You may tell only select few but if a You-tuber gets the information and posts it you can get swamped. Same story if an aurora gets reported at a location . You get dozens turning up with flashlights and iPhones looking for it!

Another point overlooked…. when you scouted out your spot a lot of “approach planning” went into the shoot. Intrusion and disturbing a species’ core area (as you know) disrupts their lives. They can flee, abandon nests, never return..etc. They don’t really like people.
One reason some of us switched to mirrorless cameras is their silence. The ratta tat tat of DSLR’s spooks animals. I’ve had ducks literally explode off the water when my D850 fired in continuous mode. Maybe this isn’t an issue for what you’re trying to accomplish. Perhaps your critter is used to your “un-threatening“ presence. Enter the nimrod buddy 🤓 for the first time. He is exploring and doesn’t know where you sit or hide and blows your set-up…. The rare cock-eyed-waladoo” flies off never to be seen again…..
In short, a friend is not going to jump your spot. He may tell others though….. Like the previous replies..^^^.. Keep it to yourself… avoid the frustration

Another point overlooked…. when you scouted out your spot a lot of “approach planning” went into the shoot. Intrusion and disturbing a species’ core area (as you know) disrupts their lives. They can flee, abandon nests, never return..etc. They don’t really like people.
One reason some of us switched to mirrorless cameras is their silence. The ratta tat tat of DSLR’s spooks animals. I’ve had ducks literally explode off the water when my D850 fired in continuous mode. Maybe this isn’t an issue for what you’re trying to accomplish. Perhaps your critter is used to your “un-threatening“ presence. Enter the nimrod buddy 🤓 for the first time. He is exploring and doesn’t know where you sit or hide and blows your set-up…. The rare cock-eyed-waladoo” flies off never to be seen again…..
In short, a friend is not going to jump your spot. He may tell others though….. Like the previous replies..^^^.. Keep it to yourself… avoid the frustration
This is why I use camo. Not to be un-noticed by the animals, but to be less visible to humans.

Reading this thread, I am feeling a bit dissapointed in the human nature...

Both by the egotistical "keep it to yourself" attitude that is on display and even more so by the seeming inability of humans not to ruin a good thing, that has lead to said attitude.

Both by the egotistical "keep it to yourself" attitude that is on display and even more so by the seeming inability of humans not to ruin a good thing, that has lead to said attitude.
I don't see it as an egotistical attitude. I see it as minimizing disturbance for the animal's sake.

I totally agree. And to put my money where my mouth is not only will I share my favorite location but will provide a map. It's the red/orange area. :rolleyes:

2000px-Alaska_area_compared_to_conterminous_US.svg.png

I don't share my locations because in good or bad faith and before or after someone talk to one and another one and quickly you found your location ruined from various people that are only interested to make a click ruining a spot and disturbing wildlife...i spent years to scouting/learning seasons, environment and wildlife and i think that this is the real way to enjoy nature and wildlife not to "google" or wait someone to give you gps coordinates... sometimes there's also some guides (that mask them intention) that try to acquire info based on false research scopes and later you find them leading groups: workshop -> business no this is not fair....
I think that before or later people that tell everything also in socialmedia understand them mistakes about this topic but is too late when this happen. This phenomena start with the first forum in 2000age, i was a young boy but i learned this lesson soon at my cost..
from there i now only confidated at only one extremely fidated Natural Park empolyee and two young guys that i feel on the right way to appreciate nature.
I'm writing from Italy where space and really wild place are minimal relegated to little places over the mountains regions.
Hope my english is clear.

I don't see it as an egotistical attitude. I see it as minimizing disturbance for the animal's sake.
I agree totally with Doug on this. Egotistical attitude has nothing to do with this situation. Unless it’s a guided workshop or tour the photographer has every right to be hopeful of secrecy. This contributes to success and the incredible images you find throughout this forum….

I agree totally with Doug on this. Egotistical attitude has nothing to do with this situation. Unless it’s a guided workshop or tour the photographer has every right to be hopeful of secrecy. This contributes to success and the incredible images you find throughout this forum….
That’s exactly right!

Back