Does Alcohol in lens wipes damage coatings?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

just to stir things up a bit:

1) i've heard microfiber is a bit abrasive
2) i've heard the lens tissues can also be a bit abrasive*
3) i've heard the kim-wipes feel a bit abrasive but are not actually due to being built without cellulose

i've no idea what to believe at this point 😂

* i also see references to people saying the tissue is abrasive statement is conflating "tissue paper" and not "lens tissues"

some links

Edmund Optics (EO) Microfiber cloths

Kimberly-Clark 34155 Kimwipes

PEC-PAD lint free 4x4 wipes

Sensei Lens Cleaning Tissues

Lens Clens #1 (fluid for coated optics)

Eclipse lens and digital sensor cleaner fluid

Last edited:
A quick topline: Microfiber cloth is typically made from very tiny strands of polyester, polyamide (nylon) or polypropylene - there's nothing 'abrasive' in this mix for lens cleaning use, unless the cloth picks up abrasive particles or grit before or during its use to clean a lens. Microfiber cloths can be cleaned to remove such particles after use, but care must be taken to avoid washing them with a detergent containing oils or fabric softening chemistries as these can reduce the absorption properties of the cloth.

Microfiber properties are most useful to discuss around the specific application, as I'm sure there are some super-sensitive surfaces that can be abraded by the soft materials within the cloth (such as camera sensors, perhaps!), but for camera lenses, the description above is operative, from my experience as a chemist.

just to stir things up a bit:

1) i've heard microfiber is a bit abrasive
2) i've heard the lens tissues can also be a bit abrasive*
3) i've heard the kim-wipes feel a bit abrasive but are not actually due to being built without cellulose

i've no idea what to believe at this point 😂

* i also see references to people saying the tissue is abrasive statement is conflating "tissue paper" and not "lens tissues"
This is why i only wipe out wet wipe my lens elections one or twice a year. Unless you get water or something on the element, you only need a blower or a lens brush to remove lint/dust

Back