EXIF Info Is Here!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Test
Bearded blue bee eater
DSC03371_DxOBeeEater_Orchards-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Just testing my Lightroom preset to make sure it's not the source of the issue. (seems OK)

fla-0217-02834-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That’s really strange…I’ll circle back with ya on this later this weekend - hitting the road for some Astro/wildlife shooting here shortly for the weekend.

Strange - when I run the same image I uploaded through exifdata.com, it comes back with this:

View attachment 36915
Weird.

Try pulling the image right off this site and see. I tried the exifdata.com site with the one I have and when I click Detailed information I get no camera data.

Don't get me wrong Steve - I think this is GREAT - just trying to help work through the kinks... :D
Oh no, I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it. If I can figure out what's going on, it'll answer questions when it doesn't work. The system uses PHP to pull the EXIF data though, so I'm not 100% sure if there's much I can do from a software perspective. I'm thinking I might need an export guideline.

Weird.

Try pulling the image right off this site and see. I tried the exifdata.com site with the one I have and when I click Detailed information I get no camera data.

I did - one thing I noticed is the image size I uploaded is 3000x2000 - the one in the post is 2000x1344. Is there a resize process that happens on the backend? Could that be stripping the info?

I did - one thing I noticed is the image size I uploaded is 3000x2000 - the one in the post is 2000x1344. Is there a resize process that happens on the backend? Could that be stripping the info?
I saw that too - the system isn't supposed to allow images over 1200px so I was going to see what was happening. I wonder if it's resizing and stripping the info. If you have time, can you try one at 1200px?

Oh no, I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it. If I can figure out what's going on, it'll answer questions when it doesn't work. The system uses PHP to pull the EXIF data though, so I'm not 100% sure if there's much I can do from a software perspective. I'm thinking I might need an export guideline.
I wonder if the method used to post to BCG forums makes a difference. IOW, I typically use the Ctrl-P (Cmd-P on a Mac) to post images but have also used Copy-Paste and have also linked to a URL using the Insert Image icon on top of the edit screen. I wonder if those might handle EXIF data differently and some methods might strip it off while others leave it attached to the posted image.

And there it is....so anything that gets scaled down on the backend is getting it's info stripped.
GREAT call!!! Thanks! that will help.

I'm not sure why the system is allowing larger images in the first place though - I had that limit set at one point. All of the updates must have changed it. I want to limit the wide side to 1200px so I don't go broke buying HDs for the server :)

Plus, the site has a hard 1400px width limit, so anything over 1200px isn't necessary anyway.

I believe the "Save for Web" under "Export" in photoshop anyway strips EXIF info. That's what I've always used so have to change my way of doing things.
So 1200px on the long side is the limit? When you click on files you uploaded Steve they look smaller. Not sure why that is?

Back