External Hard Drives

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

That sounds similar to what I’ve been doing over the years. I think I’m ready to simplify and have everything in one location as far as the originals. My plan is to get a four bay owc raid unit and most likely do a raid 1 as well as copy that drive to at least one other external disc. I’m going to leave my catalog on the iMac since I have two copies of time machine backups for the iMac and MacBook. I run catalog backups every time I exit which is probably overkill.
I originally had everything on the Thunderbay mini because the iMac only has 512 GB SSD, but testing showed the SSD was faster to import and pretty much everything else in LR. So I got a 2 TB Thunderbolt SSD and it is as fast as the internal SSD so went to my current scheme…but having all originals on the RAID is a bit simpler.

Whenever we can travel again I’m still up in the air whether to carry the external SSD with me and hook it to the laptop or use the laptop SSD and do the export/import shuffle…the former is easier but it’s more things to carry…but if I use the laptop SSD instead I will still need to carry an external for backup anyway.…

hat sounds similar to what I’ve been doing over the years. I think I’m ready to simplify and have everything in one location as far as the originals. My plan is to get a four bay owc raid unit and most likely do a raid 1 as well as copy that drive to at least one other external disc. I’m going to leave my catalog on the iMac since I have two copies of time machine backups for the iMac and MacBook. I run catalog backups every time I exit which is probably overkill.
That is a good plan, and essentially what I do. I think it is important to discern between "working drives" and "backup drives," and not confuse the two. My backup drives are only for backup. That is all they are used for. I use my 4x4 RAID 5 external as a working drive. That gets backed up to separate dedicated backup drives. No problem leaving your catalog on your iMac. If you run CCC for backups, it should copy the most recent version anyway every time you back up. Time Machine should do the same.

This structure gives me (and will give you) three layers of protection: First being Time Machine, which provides short-term (not archival) redundancy. The four-bay RAID enclosure, if you use it as a working drive like I do, provides a second layer of protection for work in process. The third level, dedicated backups drives, is your archival system which is strictly for safety.

I still recommend avoiding RAID arrays of any kind on dedicated backups. Yes, it involves running CCC for every backup disk you have, but that is a small price in time to pay for maximum peace of mind.

That is a good plan, and essentially what I do. I think it is important to discern between "working drives" and "backup drives," and not confuse the two. My backup drives are only for backup. That is all they are used for. I use my 4x4 RAID 5 external as a working drive. That gets backed up to separate dedicated backup drives. No problem leaving your catalog on your iMac. If you run CCC for backups, it should copy the most recent version anyway every time you back up. Time Machine should do the same.

This structure gives me (and will give you) three layers of protection: First being Time Machine, which provides short-term (not archival) redundancy. The four-bay RAID enclosure, if you use it as a working drive like I do, provides a second layer of protection for work in process. The third level, dedicated backups drives, is your archival system which is strictly for safety.

I still recommend avoiding RAID arrays of any kind on dedicated backups. Yes, it involves running CCC for every backup disk you have, but that is a small price in time to pay for maximum peace of mind.
Yes that’s what I’ve always done with backups is a dedicated disk just for that purpose. As you stated I think keeping the catalog on the internal ssd just makes more sense and is what a senior rep from Adobe advised as well. Just so I’m completely understanding the raid setup, raid one will cut my storage in half right?

Yep…the RAID is my working drive (except catalog and current year images)…but those get cloned over to the RAID as one backup…and to the dedicated backup drives…and to BackBlaze. My iMac probably has 25 or 30 CCC jobs scheduled and almost all of them are folder clones and not volume clones…and all send out the email notice on completion. BB runs continuously…although it did take a month for the first backup…and Time Machine is going too on the data volume in Big Sur…there’s no real need to clone the read only macos partition anymore but I do have bootable OS loads on 3 or 4 external drives for that.

Yes that’s what I’ve always done with backups is a dedicated disk just for that purpose. As you stated I think keeping the catalog on the internal ssd just makes more sense and is what a senior rep from Adobe advised as well. Just so I’m completely understanding the raid setup, raid one will cut my storage in half right?
That is correct, a RAID 1 cuts storage space in half. I am far from an expert on these things. My computer shop, which I trust implicity, suggested a RAID 5 for my working drive. I didn't argue with them. A good basic overview of RAID arrays here: https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid

That is correct, a RAID 1 cuts storage space in half. I am far from an expert on these things. My computer shop, which I trust implicity, suggested a RAID 5 for my working drive. I didn't argue with them. A good basic overview of RAID arrays here: https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid
I ordered this yesterday directly from OWC and it was just delivered. I can’t believe it arrived that fast. No hopefully I don’t screw things up the way I did the last time I moved images to a external drive lol.
46C87FEA-7311-46CE-9C27-A1BAB45CBF9A.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That is the exact same enclosure I use for my working drive. Flawless operation for the last two years. I don't think you'll screw things up. Even I didn't. Enjoy!

That is the exact same enclosure I use for my working drive. Flawless operation for the last two years. I don't think you'll screw things up. Even I didn't. Enjoy!
I tried moving the originals in finder is where I totally screwed things up. I’m going to create a folder on the new drive then add a folder in LRC then drag the parent over and hope to god above that I don’t have the same fiasco as the last time.

I'm afraid I can't give you too much guidance on LR. I would think if you just drag and drop your images into the proper place on the external, that is step one. If you want an exact duplicate of everything, including the app, you could use CCC to clone just the files you specify. I don't know how Lightroom catalogs work; maybe it is like iTunes? I moved my music files to an external a few years ago, had a difficult time making it work. Finally realized I had to go into iTunes preferences and point the app to the new location of the files on the external. No problems since. Good luck.

I am looking to buy a 16 terabyte external hard drive. Does anyone have a recommendation?
A request for anyone else looking for recommendations like this: please give more info: what are you using it for (main storage, backup, secondary backup), what do you already have and what your budget is. One really needs to know your performance and access requirements and how much you want to spend.

You can get a 16TB USB drive for $400. Slow, but big and cheap.

Or you can get a RAID box with separate drives for much more (the box itself without drives would cost at least $400). Faster and much more robust. Requires at least 32TB of raw drives to build.

Then there's the NAS drives: also with RAID and more robust, but would be slow without the right kind of network.

Chris

I have been using OWC thunderbay system for years without a problem. The system is configured as a Raid 5 system using Softraid software. The software is great. It gave me early warning that a disk was about fail which I replaced under warranty (no questions asked from Seagate).

I have identical OWC units and use one as a primary storage for my images and the other as a backup. I have two backups - one set stays in the house and I update it after shoot or once or week if I am doing cause editing. Th other is offsite (in a bank vault but could be at friend house). That way if I lose the house (fire, theft, ...) I still have a backup copy. I keep the 2nd OWC unit unplugged except when I am using it. That way, if there is power surge (lightning strikes, for instance), it will not be fried.

Other things I do for backup is use Backblaze.com. For $60 or $70 (?) a year I get unlimited backup of my computer. Yes this may be overkill but the extra backups let me SWAN (Sleep Well At Night). I don't worry that I am not doing enough.

Recommendation

OWD 4 bay Thunderbay drive
4 x 6 TB (or 4 x 8 TB) drives run as a Raid 5 system so you would have 18 or 24 TB net. Check disk statistics on backblaze blog. EXTREMELY informative. If you get Softraid software I would strong suggest you "certify" your disks before using them ( I run each disk for at least 24 hours before using it). This process reads and write to the disk to verify it works correctly.

I 100% agree.. I use the OWC Thunderbay also as a RAID 5... Like yourself I have had 1 drive failure which Softraid let me know in advance also. Was able to just swap out the drive and let Softraid rebuild it. Quite impressive!!

I tried moving the originals in finder is where I totally screwed things up. I’m going to create a folder on the new drive then add a folder in LRC then drag the parent over and hope to god above that I don’t have the same fiasco as the last time.
I’m not sure how LR works but I wouldn’t delete the parent folder until your sure it’s all working correctly. But I’m not sure if LR would like the fact there are two copies.

I’m not sure how LR works but I wouldn’t delete the parent folder until your sure it’s all working correctly. But I’m not sure if LR would like the fact there are two copies.
I got the photos moved without any issues and everything synced from Lightroom cloud as well. I also got the drive set up for raid one and I'm currently making a copy thru CCC on another disk. My only question is under my folders I still have macintosh HD showing and can't delete it no matter what I do. I would like to have only one drive showing so I don't screw up during import to the wrong drive.

I got the photos moved without any issues and everything synced from Lightroom cloud as well. I also got the drive set up for raid one and I'm currently making a copy thru CCC on another disk. My only question is under my folders I still have macintosh HD showing and can't delete it no matter what I do. I would like to have only one drive showing so I don't screw up during import to the wrong drive.
Not sure what you mean but the Macintosh HD is usually your system drive and you can’t delete that. Are you referring to a drive or a folder icon? Can you post a screen shot?

I 100% agree.. I use the OWC Thunderbay also as a RAID 5... Like yourself I have had 1 drive failure which Softraid let me know in advance also. Was able to just swap out the drive and let Softraid rebuild it. Quite impressive!!
Glad we were able to catch this in time. Well worth the extra time and $ to avoid major problem. (y)

Not sure what you mean but the Macintosh HD is usually your system drive and you can’t delete that. Are you referring to a drive or a folder icon? Can you post a screen shot?
I’m just referring to the folders section of LRC on the left side under the navigator window. I just deleted the parent folder under Macintosh hd so that should prevent any mishaps during import. Everything seems to be in order now and working great.

I have an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual 12TB, striped for max speed (thunderbolt 2). This gets backed up on another 6 TB drive. I would recommend you get the Thunderbolt 3/4 version, and the one which has extra ports built in so it functions as a dock.

I recently purchased a LaCie Rugged USC-C 4 TB portable hard drive. When I take my laptop on a photography trip, I can copy pics from my camera to the laptop and this drive.

An unrequested answer, I have also bought a Biolite Charge Pro 80 PD battery. This can charge my camera 9x, iPhone or my laptop when I am off-grid such as camping for 3 weeks.

It's hard to diagnose your exact situation without being there, so I don't know if I can give you meaningful advice. My guess is that CCC is cloning your internal hard drive, as it should do, and since Macintosh HD is no doubt the name of your internal, it is logical that CCC would designate that as the top of the hierarchy. To complicate issues, Apple's newest OS releases are now using two names for each drive--the name you see, and a separate file with "Data" at the end. The "Data" title remains invisible until you back up with CCC or view your system in Disk Utility. I have no idea what this accomplishes, other than it is part of the newest Apple APSF file system.

I believe this is covered in some depth in the CCC online documentation. You might want to spend a good bit of time reading through that documentation, which is extremely complete and detailed, but also occasionally difficult to understand. Many processes have changed in CCC by necessity relative to the latest two Mac OS issues, due to a rather radical change in how Apple handles files.

Generally when you can't delete a file, it is telling you that you really need it for something.

I had to spend quite a bit of time with CCC documentation to fully grasp it after Apple made this change. You might have to do the same, if you are using Catalina or Big Sur. Pay particular attention to what CCC says about APSF and how it has affected backups. It required me to modify my CCC processes a bit from what I was used to.

I could be way off in all of this. Sounds like you have things under control regardless.

It's hard to diagnose your exact situation without being there, so I don't know if I can give you meaningful advice. My guess is that CCC is cloning your internal hard drive, as it should do, and since Macintosh HD is no doubt the name of your internal, it is logical that CCC would designate that as the top of the hierarchy. To complicate issues, Apple's newest OS releases are now using two names for each drive--the name you see, and a separate file with "Data" at the end. The "Data" title remains invisible until you back up with CCC or view your system in Disk Utility. I have no idea what this accomplishes, other than it is part of the newest Apple APSF file system.

I believe this is covered in some depth in the CCC online documentation. You might want to spend a good bit of time reading through that documentation, which is extremely complete and detailed, but also occasionally difficult to understand. Many processes have changed in CCC by necessity relative to the latest two Mac OS issues, due to a rather radical change in how Apple handles files.

Generally when you can't delete a file, it is telling you that you really need it for something.

I had to spend quite a bit of time with CCC documentation to fully grasp it after Apple made this change. You might have to do the same, if you are using Catalina or Big Sur. Pay particular attention to what CCC says about APSF and how it has affected backups. It required me to modify my CCC processes a bit from what I was used to.

I could be way off in all of this. Sounds like you have things under control regardless.
Most of my time with Lightroom has been spent with the original on the internal drive so I’m not exactly sure myself. The carbon copy aspect is good.

I am looking to buy a 16 terabyte external hard drive. Does anyone have a recommendation?
It depends on the use. If its for an interal computer drive, NAS, external storage etc.
If you can get away with a 8tb drive until prices come down - then you will save some money.
I just bought some 8tb SSD drives at about US$700ea - I would have preferred to wait until the prices came down.
Magnetic drives are bigger and cheaper but fairly slow.
SSD solid state drives are faster and smaller but dont last as long...

Seagate Expansion Desktop 16TB: This external hard drive offers a large storage capacity, fast data transfer rates, and a simple plug-and-play setup. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac systems.

Western Digital My Book 16TB: WD My Book is a popular choice for external storage. It provides ample storage space, data encryption, and automatic backup options. It supports USB 3.0 connectivity and is compatible with both Windows and Mac.

LaCie d2 Professional 16TB: LaCie is known for its high-quality external drives. The d2 Professional offers a large capacity, fast transfer speeds, and versatile connectivity options including Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac systems.

G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt 3 16TB: If you need high-speed data transfer and RAID functionality, the G-RAID with Thunderbolt 3 is worth considering. It provides fast transfer rates, hardware RAID configuration options, and dual Thunderbolt 3 ports for daisy-chaining multiple devices.

For more basic information about external hard drives please visit external drives guide

Sure! Here are a few recommended 16TB external hard drives:

1. Western Digital My Book Duo: This drive offers high capacity, RAID configurations, and multiple connectivity options, including USB 3.0 and USB-C. It also comes with WD Backup software for automatic backups.
  2. Seagate Backup Plus Hub: This drive provides ample storage, USB 3.0 connectivity, and a built-in USB hub for connecting other devices. It includes Seagate's backup software and works well for video editing and backup purposes.
  3. G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt 3: If you require fast transfer speeds, this drive features Thunderbolt 3 connectivity for high-performance video editing. It supports RAID configurations and offers professional-grade reliability.

Steven, just be careful when you drag and drop. Make sure you locate all LRC files and drop into the proper locations. I’m sure that’s your plan but if you miss one that will disrupt your plans.

Much depends on what you are doing — I have had no issues with stills working with them on a raid or even NAS but 8.3k 60p N-RAW needs to be on a very fast large drive. The OWC “18TB HDD miniStack STX Stackable Storage and Thunderbolt Hub Xpansion Thunderbolt 4 hub” is a relatively small monster and it works - I took it to Kenya and am using it plugged into my Mac Studio with backup to a large NAS Drive. It is horses for courses.

Back