Fedex | B&H

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was going to suggest, if you haven't already done so, posting on DPReview as well because I've seen Henry from B&H frequently taking notice of people's issues and reaching out to them regarding their problems. He did so for me for one thing. I don't recall if he posts here or not.
Oh really? Ok I’ll do that now. Thank you!
….and thanks everyone for being so supportive. This is a great group!

With all my B&H orders over the years, I've never had to sign for delivery...until a first time with my 600pf delivery a few days ago. I've always wondered about that requirement and why I never had to sign, even with a Z9/lens order totaling $9k. And the B&H boxes usually have part of the taped seams "worn/broken" but the contents have never been accessible.

I'm very interested in the resolution as it's always on my mind when I place an order. My guess is B&H will make good on everything, but it's the waiting that would drive me crazy.
For both Fed-ex and UPS, the shipper determines if a signature is require. Then of course it’s up to the driver to actually get the signature. Draw your own conclusions but Fedex drivers are actually sub contractors and don’t actually work for fedex.

It likely depends on the area. In our current relatively rural area FedEx has been good and actually most of the services have been. When we previously lived in an urban area, they were all pretty bad.

Heads up! I ordered a Zf from B&H lat week. Today Fedex delivered the box and did not ring the door for a signature. The box was tampered with because the B&H tape was broken and the box was taped up. Upon opening the box, the Zf and the lens are missing. Since B&H is closed today, I filed a report with Fedex and emailed B&H the details.

Just posting for awareness, but also wanted to know if anyone has had this experience or knows what the customary procedure is for this kind of sick debacle?
Not the first time I heard of this happening and even happening with UPS. Wonder who signed for the package, not you apparently.

I was going to suggest, if you haven't already done so, posting on DPReview as well because I've seen Henry from B&H frequently taking notice of people's issues and reaching out to them regarding their problems. He did so for me for one thing. I don't recall if he posts here or not.
He does. He recently joined and has posted on occasion.

--Ken

the shipper determines if a signature is required.
Interesting, so then FedEx never/rarely enforces that requirement. Odd being that they're responsible for the lost package if there's a claim. You'd think management would be all over that from a liability standpoint.

All these posts aside, I still feel safe ordering from B&H. FedEx claim, then a B&H claim, and if all else fails, a credit card claim. Painful if it happens but I think they got us covered. I've yet to hear a story of a total loss to the consumer for the transport (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Odd in that even low value items are usually shipped out by B&H with signature required. B&H is partly to fault if they did not do this with the camera.

When I had an office job I had B&H ship to my office address and never to my house. An alternative is a neighbor who is at home during the day.

Odd in that even low value items are usually shipped out by B&H with signature required. B&H is partly to fault if they did not do this with the camera.

When I had an office job I had B&H ship to my office address and never to my house. An alternative is a neighbor who is at home during the day.
This is what I've done as well. A neighbor works from home and I have things shipped there, or she watches our door. But when I bought a d500 from B&H, she stepped out for half an hour to walk her dog and when she returned, the box was on the porch even though it was signature required.
I'm very curious about whether B&H makes it right. I've been trying to purchase from smaller local camera stores recently because I value them as information resources. I feel that I need to give them my business if I want them to stay around.
Good luck!

This is what I've done as well. A neighbor works from home and I have things shipped there, or she watches our door. But when I bought a d500 from B&H, she stepped out for half an hour to walk her dog and when she returned, the box was on the porch even though it was signature required.
I'm very curious about whether B&H makes it right. I've been trying to purchase from smaller local camera stores recently because I value them as information resources. I feel that I need to give them my business if I want them to stay around.
Good luck!
Of the several recent delivery incidents where FedEx was the carrier that I have seen posted in forums , I have not been aware of B&H not making right by the buyer in them. And I would have suspected that the OP's would not have been shy about posting if they were not properly taken care of by B&H.

--Ken

FedEx often won't bring the package to my front door, even though if's just a 50 foot walk from the street with wide open parking at all times. They instead put it in my driveway, which is a different street (corner lot) and not secure, let alone ask for a signature. I've complained to B&H but never heard anything back. I think it's a subcontractor issue. Never had a problem with UPS and very few with Amazon. B&H has been great but for the stress of FedEx delivery on a number of items.

FedEx often won't bring the package to my front door, even though if's just a 50 foot walk from the street with wide open parking at all times. They instead put it in my driveway, which is a different street (corner lot) and not secure, let alone ask for a signature. I've complained to B&H but never heard anything back. I think it's a subcontractor issue. Never had a problem with UPS and very few with Amazon. B&H has been great but for the stress of FedEx delivery on a number of items.
I have had a similar issue with them. Our house is above grade (as are most of the houses in our neighborhood) and you need to walk up a few steps from the sidewalk and then about 15 feet to the front porch. Some FedEx drivers will leave my packages on or near the front porch and others leave them on the sidewalk where they cannot be seen (because of the retaining walls on either side of the steps). I have been able to retrieve my packages, but if I was not aware of a package coming, or if it was not delivered as scheduled, it could make a porch pirate's job just that much easier. UPS and Amazon, on the other hand, always deliver packages onto our porch and often tuck them where they are not easily seen.

--Ken

Reactions: seh
Oh really? Ok I’ll do that now. Thank you!
….and thanks everyone for being so supportive. This is a great group!
Juliette: I found your post in dpreview and responded. Our customer service team has already filed a notice with FedEx and sent you an affidavit for you to sign and return so we can resolve this. I know how upsetting this situation must be and sympathize.

I hope it works out for you, but this is why I order anything expensive through Houston Camera Exchange, my local brick and mortar store, then pick it up when it gets there. They match the price everyone else has and backs the products they sell and I don't worry about things getting "lost" or damaged in shipping.

Everyone I know has had great customer service from B&H. My concern is that when my invoice says signature required in the shipping, I have an expectation of some security at the receiving end. I'd prefer that the shipping state accurately whether a signature is required or not. It was a surprise when that didn't happen, and worrisome.

Everyone I know has had great customer service from B&H. My concern is that when my invoice says signature required in the shipping, I have an expectation of some security at the receiving end. I'd prefer that the shipping state accurately whether a signature is required or not. It was a surprise when that didn't happen, and worrisome.
Signature Required is seldom enforced here. Drivers make a squiggle on the pad, hard to tell whose signature it is. A lot is up to the delivery driver which run from awesome to awful. We used to have the same drivers for years now they seem to change daily.

Upgrade Shipping for important shipments. I had $3,000 in parts go missing on $10 UPS Ground shipping and they looked for it like it was worth $10.

B&H is my camera store, I have their card. I find them a level above the competition. Check out their You Tube channel for videos by top photographers.

Thanks for posting! I have always prefered FedEx due to delivery speed. Now rethinking that.
I used to as well, but the FedEx of today is not the same one that I (and many others) used years ago. UPS (and Amazon) seems to have the best and most consistent "last mile" of delivery in our area.

--Ken

Over the years I have found that UPS and FedEx alternate between who is the worse in my neighborhood (I will not say the best since neither is very good). FedEx has slipped in the last few years but never had a major problem with them. True they do not ring the bell and often signature requiring packages are left. Same for UPS.

FedEx was supposed to deliver my 186 today by 10 am. Still nothing. My last two deliveries have been nightmares and are well documented here and elsewhere. Not expecting anything and all I can say to people is to press their retailers to consider other delivery companies.

And let me say this, by comparison Amazon drivers are paid squat and yet they are providing the best and most on time service of anyone (and I hate ordering from Amazon).

Addendum: Now they dropped the time estimate to sometime by 8pm. I'd like to post my real thoughts about FedEx but Steve would likely ban me for life.

Last edited:
I hope it works out for you, but this is why I order anything expensive through Houston Camera Exchange, my local brick and mortar store, then pick it up when it gets there. They match the price everyone else has and backs the products they sell and I don't worry about things getting "lost" or damaged in shipping.
Not all of us have the benefit of a local brick and mortar store. Mine is some 6 hours away (one way).

I just now received my 180-600 from B&H-FEDEX. Our FEDEX driver has always been good. As usual he brought it through the gate, to the door, and took the required signature. He immediately noted that the box was a bit crushed and asked if it would be a problem. The box was way too big and allowed for some exterior damage, hollow inside, but there was ample bubble wrap around the lens so all looks fine. He noted the damage in his report just in case.

I have security cameras that drivers can’t miss and would give a driver pause to try and claim a signature was taken or a package was delivered if it wasn’t. Though I have a steep driveway I’m sure the drivers hate, a fence with a gate they need to open once they get up the driveway, and more stairs up to the front door, I think the cameras help. I think even a dummy camera could help.

The carrier probably won't deal with you directly but will wait for the claim from whomever paid for the shipping (BH). I would deal with BH directly and avoid their third party carrier. Other topic touched on here: DSR (direct signature required) if a driver is falsifying DSR's, it will sting them as a poor career choice soon enough. Bar codes are embedded DSR by the creator when prompted. There are ways for a driver to override DSR but it leave an easy to see pattern.

Back