FLEXSHOOTER PRO

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AprilInA2

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m traveling to Columbia soon (mostly bird photography but also landscape) and was considering trading my Wimberly gimbal for the Flexshooter Pro. I’ve heard good things about it, but wanted to hear from those with longer real world experiences. I would appreciate your input.
April

There have been a number of Flexshooter threads on the forums, you might try entering Flexshooter into the Search box on top of the page.

Here's some of those threads:

That said, I picked up a Flexshooter Pro a while ago and after several decades shooting full sized Wimberly gimbal mounts I sold my WH-200 as I find the Flexshooter gets the job done in a much more compact package that's easier to deal with when traveling.

Flexshooter Pros:
- Smaller, more compact and provides the same constrained pan and tilt with no risk of lateral ballhead flop just like a gimbal head
- Built in leveling base (outer ball)

Flexshooter Cons:
- A bit more friction when panning or tilting compared to a well balanced gimbal head though I find I can still pan and tilt with a light 'one finger' touch
- More limited for extreme up or down angle tilts compared to a good gimbal head

In my experience the Flexshooter Pro is great for use with heavy long lenses like the 500mm and 600mm f/4 lenses and decent with some smaller lenses but by the time I get down to something like the 500mm PF with a Z6/Z7/Z8 style camera body I find the Flexshooter Pro is a bit stiff for such a light setup. The Flexshooter Mini is probably more suitable for lighter and smaller camera and lens setups but I have no hands on experience with the mini version.

I’m traveling to Columbia soon (mostly bird photography but also landscape) and was considering trading my Wimberly gimbal for the Flexshooter Pro. I’ve heard good things about it, but wanted to hear from those with longer real world experiences. I would appreciate your input.
April
I was in Colombia for 3 weeks in May and for the first time took the FlexShooter Pro on a trip instead of a gimbal. I took it primarily for its compactness, making it much easier to carry my tripod on the side of my pack with the FlexShooter mounted as opposed to needing to carry the gimbal separately. In short I loved it—it did exactly what I wanted it to. Shot the Z9 and 800mm PF on it, including in challenging terrain after difficult hikes to photograph both Harpy and Ornate Hawk-Eagles. While I think a quality gimbal is overall a bit better for heavier lenses, in terms of ease and stability, the FlexShooter is a close second. And for me its advantages for travel far outweigh its minor shortcomings. I won’t take a significant international trip without it again.

In my experience the Flexshooter Pro is great for use with heavy long lenses like the 500mm and 600mm f/4 lenses and decent with some smaller lenses but by the time I get down to something like the 500mm PF with a Z6/Z7/Z8 style camera body I find the Flexshooter Pro is a bit stiff for such a light setup. The Flexshooter Mini is probably more suitable for lighter and smaller camera and lens setups but I have no hands on experience with the mini version.
I agree the Pro is a bit stiff for smaller lenses. Still works, for example, at the typical perch locations at many lodges in Colombia. But in more challenging, uneven terrain the Pro is more difficult to use with lighter lenses. But in those situations I am often handholding anyway if using a lighter lens.

There have been a number of Flexshooter threads on the forums, you might try entering Flexshooter into the Search box on top of the page.

That said, I picked up a Flexshooter Pro a while ago and after several decades shooting full sized Wimberly gimbal mounts I sold my WH-200 as I find the Flexshooter gets the job done in a much more compact package that's easier to deal with when traveling.

Flexshooter Pros:
- Smaller, more compact and provides the same constrained pan and tilt with no risk of lateral ballhead flop just like a gimbal head

Flexshooter Cons:
- A bit more friction when panning or tilting compared to a well balanced gimbal head though I find I can still pan and tilt with a light 'one finger' touch
- More limited for extreme up or down angle tilts compared to a good gimbal head

I agree with everything Dave said and looking back, I wish I had purchased the Mini instead of the pro as I’m gradually downsizing my equipment.

@DougC and @DRwyoming why do you think the mini will work better with lighter lens? Aren't the mechanics similar, yet in a smaller, lighter package?
I haven't owned the mini but as I understand it the friction settings are designed towards lighter lens setups. You have a friction adjustment knob on the pro model but as you open it up towards less friction you reach a point where it seems like all friction just goes away which is about the range where I'd want it set for lighter gear. It's my understanding that the mini gives you better friction control in this part of the adjustment range but isn't as great for heavier setups.

I haven't owned the mini but as I understand it the friction settings are designed towards lighter lens setups. You have a friction adjustment knob on the pro model but as you open it up towards less friction you reach a point where it seems like all friction just goes away which is about the range where I'd want it set for lighter gear. It's my understanding that the mini gives you better friction control in this part of the adjustment range but isn't as great for heavier setups.
Agreed.

I guess my view is slightly different from some of the comments above. I think the Flexshooter is great for "moderate sized" rigs; I use it routinely for my OM1/150-500mm zoom rig. But for a really big, heavy lens like a 600mm f4 I think a gimbal is slightly better. The Flexshooter is great for travel because it is smaller and easier to pack. It's not great if you shoot video, as the panning is not perfectly smooth. For video, I think a fluid head can't be beat.

It's nice to have so many great choices!
Doug Greenberg

Having used both for a couple of years now, if I had to pick one, it would be the Flexshooter. However, I would be very reluctant to sell my Wimberley gimbal as it is better for large set ups. I appreciate for some, cost is a consideration. The one item I could sell is my RRS 55 ball head, as it gets little use now. But it is such a fantastic ball head, I just can't part with it.

@Garfield has advised me that with the Flexshooter to balance a short to medium lens with the Z9 you will need a longer plate so that may mean the standard Nikon foot is better to have than an aftermarket foot. For example the Kirk for my 100-400 has a place for a 3/8 and 1/4 screw, and they are closely spaced, and that's been hard for me to find in a long plate. Most of them seem to have two 1/4 screw ports.

@Garfield has advised me that with the Flexshooter to balance a short to medium lens with the Z9 you will need a longer plate so that may mean the standard Nikon foot is better to have than an aftermarket foot. For example the Kirk for my 100-400 has a place for a 3/8 and 1/4 screw, and they are closely spaced, and that's been hard for me to find in a long plate. Most of them seem to have two 1/4 screw ports.
There are many aftermarket plates where one or both mounting screws are in a sliding track so you can adjust for any spacing. All you need is a common and inexpensive 3/8 to 1/4 inch socket adapter to use a plate with two 1/4 inch machine screws on a lens foot that has one 3/8” threaded socket.

Here's one such plate that comes with the 3/8" adapter: https://www.adorama.com/sibsrph120....wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_source=inc-google-shop-p

The same company also makes an even longer plate the PH-180 if you want a really long lens plate.

I guess my view is slightly different from some of the comments above. I think the Flexshooter is great for "moderate sized" rigs; I use it routinely for my OM1/150-500mm zoom rig. But for a really big, heavy lens like a 600mm f4 I think a gimbal is slightly better. The Flexshooter is great for travel because it is smaller and easier to pack. It's not great if you shoot video, as the panning is not perfectly smooth. For video, I think a fluid head can't be beat.

It's nice to have so many great choices!
Doug Greenberg
I don’t think anybody will disagree that a gimbal is probably ‘better’…but it’s also a lot heavier and bigger and in many cases better is the enemy of good enough. For me…I wanted a single tripod head as I dont use one that often…and the FlexShooter Promprobides all of the ball head advantages and 90% of the gimbal lenses for anything up to and including the size/weight of a 500PF…and since I’m not interested in another $1000 head that will get used a couple of times per year…I’ll settle for good enough. 😀

I took a trip to Costa Rica in the Spring because it weighed less and took up less space than would my gimbal and ball head. I was glad I did. Some have argued above that it is a little stiff. That is an adjustment, not an attribute. in my case, when I was tracking BIF, I adjusted it to be on the looser side, and when I was shooting perched birds, I wanted it a little stiffer. Of course I could tighten it up to lock in place when I was shooting using a cable release. I used mine with a Sony 200-600.

April
I'm interested too - I've used the Wimberly for many years and now looking for something lighter and more practical .. 🦘

I took a trip to Costa Rica in the Spring because it weighed less and took up less space than would my gimbal and ball head. I was glad I did. Some have argued above that it is a little stiff. That is an adjustment, not an attribute. in my case, when I was tracking BIF, I adjusted it to be on the looser side, and when I was shooting perched birds, I wanted it a little stiffer. Of course I could tighten it up to lock in place when I was shooting using a cable release. I used mine with a Sony 200-600.
The Pro is a little stiff with a light lens. Yes you can adjust the tension, but it still does not hold an extreme position as well as it does with a heavier lens. You used a 200-600 lens which is heavy enough for the Pro to function well; try it with a 24-120 and things are a bit different. Workable, but not as flexible.

Reactions: Roy

Flexshooter Pros:

Flexshooter Cons:

I have the mini and use it with a gripped D850 with 500pf+1.4TC. This is a very back heavy set-up and requires a long lens foot to balance. Alas the RRS replacement foot for the 500pf does not have enough behind the foot to balance. I have posted on this several times in different forums with images to illustrate. With the longer foot the mini is fine for the afore mentioned set-up.

The Pro is a little stiff with a light lens. Yes you can adjust the tension, but it still does not hold an extreme position as well as it does with a heavier lens. You used a 200-600 lens which is heavy enough for the Pro to function well; try it with a 24-120 and things are a bit different. Workable, but not as flexible.
Sorry, but I don‘t think I really get what you are saying here. I can tell how I use the Flexshooter Pro; I don’t use the Flexshooter the same way when using my 14-30 or 24-70 as my 600 f4. I thighten the inner ball and uses it as a ball head using the big outer ball to adjust my composition. I think it work just as great as any other ballheads I have used. When using my 600mm f4 I level the outer ball and thighten it, and loose up the inner ball and it works (almost) like a gimbal. I agree it is a little stiff with lighter lenses, like my 100-400. It is what it is 😊
I only use the Flexshooter now, for both wildlife and landscapes, it has become a favourite of mine.

Sorry, but I don‘t think I really get what you are saying here. I can tell how I use the Flexshooter Pro; I don’t use the Flexshooter the same way when using my 14-30 or 24-70 as my 600 f4. I thighten the inner ball and uses it as a ball head using the big outer ball to adjust my composition. I think it work just as great as any other ballheads I have used. When using my 600mm f4 I level the outer ball and thighten it, and loose up the inner ball and it works (almost) like a gimbal. I agree it is a little stiff with lighter lenses, like my 100-400. It is what it is 😊
Well basically you said exactly what I did. I am not talking about when operating it as a ball head with the outer ball. When used as a gimbal with the 100-400 it is “a little stiff” as you say. What does that mean? It means it will not hold a more extreme angle like it will with a heavier lens (the spring pushes it back towards the neutral position). With the Mini it will hold the position. That’s all I am saying, and it is what it is.

I don't see the "need" to have a single supportive device that suits ALL purposes. If I were to want to use a 24-120 lens tripod mounted I might bring and use a smaller ballhead or even a pan/tilt head.

Meanwhile, I confess to being a "selective hoarder," one of my vice areas being tripod and tripod head related. I don't know why this is and I am too old to question it seriously anymore. I am a fan of the Flexshooter, and I have both the Pro and the Mini and think highly of them both. The one thing they do not do at all well is move/pan smoothly for taking video clips, something I am increasingly prone to doing. The alternative is to bring along a small fluid head. I have an old Manfrotto 3130 with a nice Arca adapter plate that is remarkably light and works great. But being a gadget freak/tripod tech hoarder, I found out about the following and then could not avoid buying it:

This is a $600 fluid head that has a counterbalance function similar in some ways to the Flexshooter series. It moves smoothly, and will also stay put if you let go of the handle, if the counterbalance "dial" is set correctly (not rocket science). Of course it has a handle, which is helpful for video. The drawbacks are the price and the weight (three pounds). But it is a remarkable piece of kit, fun to use.

That said, I also currently have a weakness for using a formidable ballhead I bought decades ago and had reconditioned a few years ago, the Foba Superball. That thing is rock solid!

Doug Greenberg

Well basically you said exactly what I did. I am not talking about when operating it as a ball head with the outer ball. When used as a gimbal with the 100-400 it is “a little stiff” as you say. What does that mean? It means it will not hold a more extreme angle like it will with a heavier lens (the spring pushes it back towards the neutral position). With the Mini it will hold the position. That’s all I am saying, and it is what it is.
Well there’s no need to be condecending, you wrote «try it with a 24-120 and things are a bit different. Workable, but not as flexible» and as I wrote that’s when you use it as a ball head and I can’t see how this not is as flexible as any other ball head on the market…
As to the Flexshooter Mini will work better with lighter lenses like the 100-400, I do agree.

Last edited:
Well there’s no need to be condecending, you wrote «try it with a 24-120 and things are a bit different. Workable, but not as flexible» and as I wrote that’s when you use it as a ball head and I can’t see how this not is as flexible as any other ball head on the market…
As to the Flexshooter Mini will work better with lighter lenses like the 100-400, I do agree.
I apologize if I was condescending--that was certainly not my intent. We are still talking past each other, so let's just leave it as is. I appreciate your perspective.

Back