Ifootage Cobra 3 monopod

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I bought a carbon fibre iFootage Cobra 2 some time ago and have been recommending them ever since. A real quality product.
Yeah, I’ve been talking myself out of it for at least a year and even at one point was eyeing the previous model. I sure wish I could go back in time and would’ve bought one sooner. There is just so many things, These could be good for. From the couple times, I’ve tried it for a video, It is fantastic. I will most likely get a small video head for it because the one I have is very large and would be two top heavy. I mean, price wise is definitely not a cheap monopod, but in my opinion, they could have charged more.

Yeah, I’ve been talking myself out of it for at least a year and even at one point was eyeing the previous model. I sure wish I could go back in time and would’ve bought one sooner. There is just so many things, These could be good for. From the couple times, I’ve tried it for a video, It is fantastic. I will most likely get a small video head for it because the one I have is very large and would be two top heavy. I mean, price wise is definitely not a cheap monopod, but in my opinion, they could have charged more.

I originally saw it on DPReview TV before Chris and Jordan moved to PetaPixel:

Here he reviews the mk 3:

Well today the iFootage Cobra 3 pedal version arrived. This is FABULOUS. Steve ( @sh1209 ), thank you for this post. It’s really solid and well made, as well as well thought out gear.
Plus, with all three parts fully extended it’s well over my head! I can in a few seconds pop off the tripod foot and use it as a mini tripod, or use the monopod without it. Snapping the top plate and foot off is simply pushing against a spring, and swinging my Nikon Z8 with tne z180-600 lens became just so easy. With the feet, I felt really confident that it wasn’t going to fall over, very solid.
This is a keeper.
cheers
Patrick

Well today the iFootage Cobra 3 pedal version arrived. This is FABULOUS. Steve ( @sh1209 ), thank you for this post. It’s really solid and well made, as well as well thought out gear.
Plus, with all three parts fully extended it’s well over my head! I can in a few seconds pop off the tripod foot and use it as a mini tripod, or use the monopod without it. Snapping the top plate and foot off is simply pushing against a spring, and swinging my Nikon Z8 with tne z180-600 lens became just so easy. With the feet, I felt really confident that it wasn’t going to fall over, very solid.
This is a keeper.
cheers
Patrick
Glad to hear that. the more I use mine the more I like it. It's so nice having that foot pedal and the maneuverability it provides when unlocked.

I've had an IFootage monopod for a couple of years now and love it! But wait.. there's more! If you love that version wait until you get the newest one, The Ifootage Cobra 3 Strike. No longer do you have to flip locks to extend the legs. It's one squeeze of the handle and they slide right down! I backed it on Kickstarter and got production number 0166 last week. OMG.. SOOOOO easy to use. No longer do I have to wrestle with my monopod/camera/lens to extend the legs. Its a dream. Highly recommend 5 stars for sure!!!! https://www.ifootagegear.com/products/cobra3strikemonopod PS... if anyone wants a gently used earlier version hit me up!

I've had an IFootage monopod for a couple of years now and love it! But wait.. there's more! If you love that version wait until you get the newest one, The Ifootage Cobra 3 Strike. No longer do you have to flip locks to extend the legs. It's one squeeze of the handle and they slide right down! I backed it on Kickstarter and got production number 0166 last week. OMG.. SOOOOO easy to use. No longer do I have to wrestle with my monopod/camera/lens to extend the legs. Its a dream. Highly recommend 5 stars for sure!!!! https://www.ifootagegear.com/products/cobra3strikemonopod PS... if anyone wants a gently used earlier version hit me up!
I haven't seen that one darn it! I would have waited lol

As a happy Cobra 2 user I checked out the Cobra 3 Strike and although I admire the technical side of it, I won't be buying one.

On their video the thinnest leg section is at the top and there seems to be no way to control how the order of the leg sections extend. I only use the thinnest (bottom) leg sections on my tripods and Monpods when I need to get the full leg extension which is not that often.

I've had the Sirui equivalent since 2016, which is designed for heavier loads and can supports a big telephoto rigs. This is an earlier version of the P-424FL.

It works well IME although often carry a much lighter monopod in case it's needed. However, on the short feet, these style of monopods are too unstable to leave unsupervised, especially with top heavy loads.

Sirui has its new Rapid monopod (Sachtler style design) that's quicker to deploy, like their new Rapid tripod.

Leofoto have a similar modular monopod, which is probably better quality than the Sirui

Have you tried it with the 600GM? I bought feet for one of my monopods and with the big glass like the 400 and 600 it won’t sit by itself in your pic. I took them off and been sitting in a closet.

Have you tried it with the 600GM? I bought feet for one of my monopods and with the big glass like the 400 and 600 it won’t sit by itself in your pic. I took them off and been sitting in a closet.
I’ve had mine on it 5-6 times now as well as carried it on there with no issues whatsoever. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I don’t think it’s something you would want to leave and walk away from. I always no matter what Camera and lens set up, have have it tethered to my cotton carrier vest just in case of a mishap. I’m my opinion, even if the monopod were to break, my strap is still going to catch it, even though it might choke me to death in the process lol 🥲

There’s not many things as far as camera gear that I give a lot of praise to because I’m the type of person that will nearly always find something I don’t like. Having said that, I would say this monopod as well as the cotton carrier vest are absolutely without a doubt number 1&2 for my all-time favorite Photography gear purchases.

I’ve had mine on it 5-6 times now as well as carried it on there with no issues whatsoever. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I don’t think it’s something you would want to leave and walk away from. I always no matter what Camera and lens set up, have have it tethered to my cotton carrier vest just in case of a mishap. I’m my opinion, even if the monopod were to break, my strap is still going to catch it, even though it might choke me to death in the process lol 🥲
Interesting. The one I have you can’t let go or it will fall over. My original idea would it would be handy for video on the fly but wasn’t stable enough.

Interesting. The one I have you can’t let go or it will fall over. My original idea would it would be handy for video on the fly but wasn’t stable enough.
Obviously, this is in my living room on hardwood floors, but no one is near it. I’m 8 feet from it so that’s how much I trust it. Make no mistake, I would not walk away in the field and just leave it sitting there, but I do take my hands off of it all the time because I have it tethered to my vest.
IMG_1851.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Obviously, this is in my living room on hardwood floors, but no one is near it. I’m 8 feet from it so that’s how much I trust it. Make no mistake, I would not walk away in the field and just leave it sitting there, but I do take my hands off of it all the time because I have it tethered to my vest.View attachment 97835
BTW good job decorating your house! 😉

That’s impressive!
I mean, don’t get me wrong , it could snap in half tomorrow but I’m pretty damn impressed with it. It is definitely not as hefty built as my series 4 gitzo but I do trust it. it’s just a joy to use with a foot pedal. Honestly, you could probably use this without any type of head on it and be just fine. I carried it for the better part of two hours over my shoulder on Friday with no issues whatsoever with that exact set up on there. I can’t walk very far right now because my foot is broke so I just go out and stumble around close by lol

BTW good job decorating your house! 😉
Thank you, we need to get into a smaller one. It’s too much house for just me and my wife. My kids are all grown now we hope to eventually get into something like half the size. It’s a beautiful house, I don’t think we’ll have much trouble selling it.

Thank you, we need to get into a smaller one. It’s too much house for just me and my wife. My kids are all grown now we hope to eventually get into something like half the size. It’s a beautiful house, I don’t think we’ll have much trouble selling it.
Same boat here. I’ve been looking at areas to relocate out of DFW area. I’m torn where we want to be.

What's interesting to me is I bought the foot to use with my PMG monopod. It would screw onto the foot, but I don't think it would stand like yours so the attachment of the monopod to the food with ICG one must make it much more sturdy. Can you show us an image of that.

Same boat here. I’ve been looking at areas to relocate out of DFW area. I’m torn where we want to be.
Same here I would like to get closer to my parents which live in Kentucky. maybe around the Indianapolis area or somewhere around there but we definitely need to get into a smaller home especially since we’re getting older. It’s not easy to take care of a big home, especially when you have physical impediment.

What's interesting to me is I bought the foot to use with my PMG monopod. It would screw onto the foot, but I don't think it would stand like yours so the attachment of the monopod to the food with ICG one must make it much more sturdy. Can you show us an image of that.
I’m assuming this is what you’re wanting to see so I sent three different images
IMG_1857.jpeg
IMG_1856.jpeg
IMG_1855.jpeg

Back