Ifootage Cobra 3 monopod

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have been contemplating buying one of these monopods for a little over a year and keep talking myself out of it. I already own a Gitzo series 4 monopod, which is built like a tank. When I first saw these, I thought it would be neat and very helpful to have the folding legs on the bottom. I kept talking myself out of buying it because I thought they would be cheap and flimsy. I have to say, this is right up at the top of my favorite photography purchases I have ever made, just about equal to the cotton carrier vest. I would absolutely give this a strong 9.5 out of 10 if not 10 out of 10. I have attached my RRS tilt head off my other monopod. I’ve taken it out the last several times I have been out. I have used it with Zoom lenses and the 600 prime all with no issues whatsoever. It is great for video and just overall great for taking The load off your arms and back in with the locking pedal. It’s just one touch operation with your boot in order to unlock the tilt the only thing I regret is not buying it much sooner and highly recommend it for someone that wants a very well-made monopod that is super functional. I have put the 600 prime up over my shoulder with it attached to this while walking and also had no issues whatsoever. Having said that, I always have my camera or lens tethered to my cotton carrier vest in case of a fall or drop, I did buy the carbon fiber version And in the future might buy the small video fluid head for it, but I’m pretty content using it the way it is to be honest. I found a very good deal on an open box one on eBay that had never been taken out of the sealed package inside the carrying bag. Anyhow, I can’t recommend this enough at least for my perspective.
View attachment 97612
Thanks

I have it with a 3LeggedThing Airhed Trinity head.
Without a doubt this is simply the best!

z8 & z180-600

IMG_2955.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_2956.jpeg

Here you see the 3LeggedThing head here with the z8 & z60-200

IMG_2957.jpeg

the head I originally bought had good reviews, what I didn’t realise was that the actual mount wasn’t standard and you had to use the foot attachment. I sent that back, but it’s here FYI.

Manfrotto 234RC Monopod Tilt Head with Quick Release

IMG_2959.jpeg

I have it with a 3LeggedThing Airhed Trinity head.
Without a doubt this is simply the best!

z8 & z180-600

View attachment 97928View attachment 97929

Here you see the 3LeggedThing head here with the z8 & z60-200

View attachment 97930

the head I originally bought had good reviews, what I didn’t realise was that the actual mount wasn’t standard and you had to use the foot attachment. I sent that back, but it’s here FYI.

Manfrotto 234RC Monopod Tilt Head with Quick Release

View attachment 97931
That's a nice looking setup. Is that a fluid head or just tilt?

That's a nice looking setup. Is that a fluid head or just tilt?
It feels like fluid, but it’s just tilt. I didn’t want fluid as I don’t do video. With the tighten knobs it does move really smoothly. I leave them loose and the amount of movement, the free flow if yiu will, works really well. 3LeggedThing make excellent products, but this is actually my first purchase. I am pretty stoked with this combo.

It feels like fluid, but it’s just tilt. I didn’t want fluid as I don’t do video. With the tighten knobs it does move really smoothly. I leave them loose and the amount of movement, the free flow if yiu will, works really well. 3LeggedThing make excellent products, but this is actually my first purchase. I am pretty stoked with this combo.
Looks really nice. I certainly am enjoying mine and wish I would have bought one sooner.

I just took delivery of the Cobra 3 Strike Monopod: https://www.ifootagegear.com/products/cobra3strikemonopod

I was fortunate to get a discount on it. It simply rocks. This thing is everything I've wanted in a monopod. I used to have an old Manfrotto pistol grip monopod that I loved because it was so easy to raise and lower. But it was cheap and wobbled a lot. The Cobra 3 Strike is solid and stable. I mounted my Z8 and 800PF on it using an RRS tilt head and it was great, well balanced. I tried the Wimberly monopod gimbal and while it worked the whole thing kinda leaned to the right. I don't think I'll use that head. The RRS works nicely. So, easily recommended.

Cheers,
David

I just took delivery of the Cobra 3 Strike Monopod: https://www.ifootagegear.com/products/cobra3strikemonopod

I was fortunate to get a discount on it. It simply rocks. This thing is everything I've wanted in a monopod. I used to have an old Manfrotto pistol grip monopod that I loved because it was so easy to raise and lower. But it was cheap and wobbled a lot. The Cobra 3 Strike is solid and stable. I mounted my Z8 and 800PF on it using an RRS tilt head and it was great, well balanced. I tried the Wimberly monopod gimbal and while it worked the whole thing kinda leaned to the right. I don't think I'll use that head. The RRS works nicely. So, easily recommended.

Cheers,
David
That’s exactly the setup I have with the RRS tilt head and it’s amazing. I haven’t touched my tripod or other monopod since getting it.

I ordered one and got it today/. I figured out how to work it but I am not sure what I think of it yet.

Going to test it out next couple days and decide whether to keep it.

An alternate viewpoint. Though the concept of monopod feet is appealing, the reality is different for some of us, if not many of us. I own two Sirui monopods, both with feet.I have found that the feet serve as points movement. With longer glass, I bring the monoid into my body with a hug of sorts, bracing it with my foot.
I have found the feet to be useful to simply manage the empty monopod in a standing position when I choose to hand hold.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Les

Having fiddled with it a bit in my living room I find it is a well-made unit,

I am not certain this is for me yet and I need to work with it more.

I tried this with the 800mm pf and the Winberly mini. I felt that was too unstable, I felt I needed to put my weight on the feet to keep it from falling over. . In general I would not want to use the combination with the 800.

The setup was more stable with the 800 using the RRS tilt head. At the same time I missed the balance and fluidity of the tripod and Wimberley 200 gimbal. In the right situation I would much rather go with the full tripod.

I need to review the manual and make sure I am using it properly.

Having fiddled with it a bit in my living room I find it is a well-made unit,

I am not certain this is for me yet and I need to work with it more.

I tried this with the 800mm pf and the Winberly mini. I felt that was too unstable, I felt I needed to put my weight on the feet to keep it from falling over. . In general I would not want to use the combination with the 800.

The setup was more stable with the 800 using the RRS tilt head. At the same time I missed the balance and fluidity of the tripod and Wimberley 200 gimbal. In the right situation I would much rather go with the full tripod.

I need to review the manual and make sure I am using it properly.
Are you unlocking the foot plate when using it? That pretty much allows for any movement. I’ve used it several times with the A1 and 600f/4 without any problems whatsoever. Like I said in the original post, there’s no way I would want to walk away from this with any camera or’s combination and just leave it. It’s not meant for that. I find when using it in the field that I can get just a steady video footage as using a full-blown tripod, whereas this is not possible with a regular single point monopod I always hold onto this in the field, other than brief moments that I let go of it because I have it tethered to my vest. The overall stability of it is what I like so well and there are lots of places that I go on trails and such that I can’t take my tripods. It’s just not possible. Thats where this thing shines. If you just want to grab something light to keep in the vehicle, this is definitely great for that. I have not touched my $1500 RRS tripod or my series 2 gitzo tripod since buying this. I am certainly not saying I will never use them again but this thing for me has taken the place of a lot of items. On my series 4 gitzo monopod, I have never been able to get steady video footage in excess of 400 mm but with this set up, I can easily use my 600 mm F4 and get perfectly stable video footage. These three little legs, make a lot of difference in the field. Another great thing about this is you can unsnap the column in immediately have a well built, ground pod or mini tripod all in the same unit. This might not be right for you and I’m sure it won’t be right for everyone, but it is without a doubt one of the best photography purchases. I’ve made in my 51 years on this earth.

Last edited:
Are you unlocking the foot plate when using it? That pretty much allows for any movement. I’ve used it several times with the A1 and 600f/4 without any problems whatsoever. Like I said in the original post, there’s no way I would want to walk away from this with any camera or’s combination and just leave it. It’s not meant for that. I find when using it in the field that I can get just a steady video footage as using a full-blown tripod, whereas this is not possible with a regular single point monopod I always hold onto this in the field, other than brief moments that I let go of it because I have it tethered to my vest. The overall stability of it is what I like so well and there are lots of places that I go on trails and such that I can’t take my tripods. It’s just not possible. Thats where this thing shines. If you just want to grab something light to keep in the vehicle, this is definitely great for that. I have not touched my $1500 RRS tripod or my series 2 gitzo tripod since buying this. I am certainly not saying I will never use them again but this thing for me has taken the place of a lot of items. On my series 4 gitzo monopod, I have never been able to get steady video footage in excess of 400 mm but with this set up, I can easily use my 600 mm F4 and get perfectly stable video footage. These three little legs, make a lot of difference in the field. Another great thing about this is you can unsnap the column in immediately have a well built, ground pod or mini tripod all in the same unit. This might not be right for you and I’m sure it won’t be right for everyone, but it is without a doubt one of the best photography purchases. I’ve made in my 51 years on this earth.
I respect your opinions which is why I bought this. I am still trying to figure out how it can be used for me.

I have a RRS monopod and I can say I have not been happy with htow it works for me. I find I have trouble holding it steady and I could just as easily carry the lens on a shoulder strap and lift it to shoot hand held for brief periods. The only time I have done better with a monopod is when I am able to sit and can clamp the monopod with imy legs to steady it. My monopod technique needs improvement.

I tried using the Ifootage with the pedal pressed and I will do that more as I test it out. What I am missing is the beautiful balance that ha;ppens with the tripod and gimbal. When using my biggest lens on the Ifootage I find I have to frequently add tension to hold the lens in position, something I almost never have to do with the Wimberley gimbal and Gitzo series 3 tripod.

To me the way I presently operate with big lenses is with backpacks and shoulder straps. I have not been using a monopod. With my backpack I can carry the 800 on a strap on one side and the tripod on the other. I can set up the tripod quickly and add the lens without having to remove the backpack. Or else I carry two lenses, typically the 800 on one side and the 400 f4.5 on the other and shoot both handheld.

I need to see if the Ifootage can change the way I currently do things.

My style of operation has changed by the fact that I frequently shoot with two bodies.

When I have the tripod with me I put the long lens on the tripod and the shorter lens on a carry strap, How does the ifootage fit in with two bodies? I would want to keep close supervision and I don't know that I would be able to comfortably use the other camera/lens while the main one is on the footage or any monopod.

My style of operation has changed by the fact that I frequently shoot with two bodies.

When I have the tripod with me I put the long lens on the tripod and the shorter lens on a carry strap, How does the ifootage fit in with two bodies? I would want to keep close supervision and I don't know that I would be able to comfortably use the other camera/lens while the main one is on the footage or any monopod.
I take two bodies out every time I go and sometimes three lol. One of them will be on the cotton carrier vest and the other will either be on a monopod or tripod or being used handheld. when I’m walking they’re both on the cotton carrier vest.

It might not be ideal on your situation. I’m the type of person that walks a lot when I go out so that’s one of the main reasons I use the vest. I will typically walk anywhere between two and 5 miles whenever I go out but if I am just driving somewhere to shoot close to the vehicle, I would typically take a tripod in that scenario and other times just shoot through the window

does the Cobra 3 Strike come in a Carbon Fiber version? or just aluminum?

their website says "pre-order" with dispatch on September 18th 2024.

this looks very interesting as I have several monopods and tripods and hate using any of them. I am usually walking around handholding, and as a result I very rarely take video. a monopod like this would be great for on-the-run video.

can also use code "DUADEPATON" for 10% off:

cobra.png

Only aluminium and have not seen carbon fiber option. Mine (Cobra 3 strike) arrived a bit earlier today and felt lite; when I ordered it there was a 15% discount on their site. I unpacked and tried it only for a very short time. It is longer than other my tripods or other monopod (not as sturdy); be aware of this for travel. But looks like a great and valuable addition.

since I'm leaving for Yellowstone in a few days I'm trying to speed run going down this rabbit hole of video monopods, or "monopods with feet" in case I want to buy one to bring with, last minute.

seems the main contenders in this space are the Sirui SVM165 and the Cobra 3 Strike

found this interesting video of the Sirui... semi-related, the guy attaches a gun stock to his Z9 to shoot with

Back