I'm Back :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Good to have you back Steve, i reckon we were all worried when it got quiet.
Take your time and heal , your health is the only thing that really counts!

Good news! Glad you have turned the corner on the disease and that you are home. Best to Rose and family. Don't know if you are aware but someone posted a YouTube video of you from your early pitch man days hawking silicone ice trays. I am sure my wife bought some of those so perhaps our relationship goes back farther than CR.
Take care my friend.

Awesome news. Now you just need to do everything you can to get back 100%. Only then can you think about getting back to work!

Thank Rose for keeping us informed the best she could while keeping some things private.

Glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery Steve, most important thing is get your rest and get healthy, the rest of this stuff can wait, it’ll be there when you get back. You and Rose take care and stay healthy.

Steve, Very glad you feel well enough to update us yourself. Given Rose's sparse updates, I figured things were extra tough, I was hoping that she didn't get it as well. As you have seen this place is well behaved so while we all look forward to your posts, you really must do what you need to do in order to heal. I had it in Nov 2019 and it took the first vaccine shot a couple of weeks ago to recover from the fatigue (I was a long hauler).

It's so good to finally hear from you, to read about your experience with Covid and your stay in the hospital. It is such a devastating illness for many. Rose must be so relieved to have you back at home . Take your time to recover your strength and take comfort in the strength and depth of the good wishes from those who care for you.
Best to you Steve, and to you Rose!

Very glad to hear that you’re home and on the mend Steve. I sincerely hope your recovery continues to go well. You and Rose please take care. Your health is the most important thing.

Yo Steve “I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible”.

Having goals post illness is an absolute path to assist with recovery.

Pushing oneself to achieve those goals may not be.

So take your time step by step and just know that each of us would much prefer to see you back doing what you do so well when you are 100%. As a retired Registered Nurse I can assure you step by step is the way to go.

Then when you have fully recovered take Rose on the holiday of her lifetime (post vaccine of course) she surely deserves it.

Lots of well wishes.
PT

Last edited:
As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one or your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

So, here's what happened.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book).

Again, the main thing is that I really want is to thank everyone for your support, understanding, and patience. I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible (especially that z6/7ii video) and I hope to start posting regularly in the forums again very soon.

Also, a special thank you to everyone for keeping everything so congenial while I was out - I may be biased, but the members on this forum are, by far, the most knowledgeable, friendliest, group of people you could ever want to meet. Thanks again everyone. :)
Steve ,
Welcome Home and thank you for your kind words. Please don’t feel the need to post anything until you are fully recovered. We will be okay until you are ready to return. Tell Rose to take care of herself as well as you.
P.S Do you have any of those silicon ice trays hiding in the basement for sale?😂😂

Very happy to read this, Steve. I thought, probably like many, that this was a fairly serious case of COVID-19, based not only on what Rose told us, but perhaps what we weren’t hearing from her. Reports of oxygen and possible intubation were frightening. You’re right, I think you have trained a good group of participants here on the forum and I am glad to see your sense of humour nicely in tact. Wishing you continued strength in your recovery and Rose some peace of mind that you’ll be OK. Considering I witnessed the poisoning death yesterday (due to rodenticides) of a favourite local female Barred Owl (which was quite disturbing), this is awfully good news to read today. There are many here in Canada welcoming you back.

As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one or your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

So, here's what happened.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book).

Again, the main thing is that I really want is to thank everyone for your support, understanding, and patience. I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible (especially that z6/7ii video) and I hope to start posting regularly in the forums again very soon.

Also, a special thank you to everyone for keeping everything so congenial while I was out - I may be biased, but the members on this forum are, by far, the most knowledgeable, friendliest, group of people you could ever want to meet. Thanks again everyone. :)
Very happy to know you are on your way to full recovery. All the best to you and your family. The big guy upstairs is looking for more images from you.

Great to see you back. The account of your time in hospital is sobering and hopefully serves as a reminder to some that this is more than just a bad case of flu. We love your work but don’t try to do too much too soon.

Good to have you back! I hope you know how much we all look forward to hearing from you in post, book, or video. The most important thing right now is for you to make yourself and Rose the top priority. Sometimes one of the best teaching tricks is to let your students fend for themselves for awhile, they really appreciate you so much more when you return. Really work for no setbacks in your health!

Back