I'm Back :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve, we've never met but like many here, I feel like I know you. Glad to see you're back home. Like others have said, do not spend one minute worrying about posting content. I think everyone here understands and supports you. Number one job is getting yourself back to health, number 2 job is reminding Rose every day how thankful you are for her. We're not even in the top 10 of the jobs you have.

Personally, I have been praying for your full recovery and will continue to do so.

Jeff

Welcome back teacher!

I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible (especially that z6/7ii video) and I hope to start posting regularly in the forums again very soon.

Steve, take your time and get get well. We understand that you may need time to get back into fighting shape.

So good to know you are home and on the road to recovery! You have been such a huge inspiration to me and my photography. My wife and I both had COVID at the same time at the end of last year, and my only advice is to just take things slow. It has a way of reminding you that you aren't ready to be up and about :)

So glad to hear this good news. Take it easy and work on getting back to 100%. Special thanks to Rose for keeping us updated - I know this must have been unbelievably stressful for her. Looking forward to more updates when you have the strength and then looking forward to your usual awesome photography content when you are able.

As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one or your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

So, here's what happened.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book).

Again, the main thing is that I really want is to thank everyone for your support, understanding, and patience. I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible (especially that z6/7ii video) and I hope to start posting regularly in the forums again very soon.

Also, a special thank you to everyone for keeping everything so congenial while I was out - I may be biased, but the members on this forum are, by far, the most knowledgeable, friendliest, group of people you could ever want to meet. Thanks again everyone. :)
The main thing is to take care of you first, everything else will be here when you are feeling up to it. Thank God you are going to be ok is my first thought.

It’s really good to hear that you pulled through, and I hope you will make a full recovery, quickly. You are clearly one of the good guys in life (just look at this forum!), and no matter how much or little you post, this community will be thankful that you can post at all. All the best!

It's great to hear from you Steve. Thanks for filling us in on your ordeal. I see you have your marching orders from the many forum members already so I guess you better rest and mend.

Glad you're doing well and remember your care giver. It is as tough or tougher on her as it was for you. Seems that both of you came out in decent shape. The warblers are starting to move down here in Florida. I think you have about six weeks to get your feet under you, before they're visiting you.

Steve.I used to tell my wife every day about you & your progress ( from Rose's posts ).It is really a great feeling g to know that your are back home kicking & now waiting for you to start shooting real lead :)

So relieved you're home. That long dry spell had me worried. And I felt for Rose, who I knew must be beside herself with worry. I'm very thankful that you've gotten home and are on the road to recovery, and that Rose can now heave a sigh of relief even if it will be slow going. Don't push yourself, give yourself a chance to recover. We'll all be happy to read/see reviews etc., down the road. Take care, and kudos to you Rose!!!!

The number of replies to your post is telling just how much we care for your wellbeing. I’m so relieved your are on the mend but was shocked at your story of how bad your condition was. Rest and recovery is of the highest priority. Don’t feel obligated to produce new content yet. We can wait. It’s worth it!

Great to have you back among us Steve. You have created a village of enthusiasts here who celebrate with you and Rose on your exit from the hospital. I add my good wishes to you both and join those who remind you to focus now on your full recovery. We will be here and cheering you on as you focus on getting better.

Steve, I was happy to hear that you were home, and are even happier that you are able to post on the forum. However, I'll be more pleased to know that you are resting to enable your recovery. We all enjoy your insight and mentoring, and want to keep it around for the long haul. Don't do anything to impede your recovery or place your health in jeopardy. You've been down a very tough road and are lucky to have made it as you have. We're all pulling for you to make a full recovery, and need to understand that this journey will take time.

Wayne

Back