I've just ordered a star tracker

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have found Peter Zelinka's site and youtube channel to be useful

Yeah, Peter Zelinka is a good resource.

I wouldn't. My general guideline is don't push past 50%. Especially cheaper trackers, the error rate will shoot way up at long focal lengths and heavier gear sets.
I had a feeling there was a caveat to their max weights. I have heard to not push it from Youtube videos I've watched. They do make some, more expensive, tracking systems that go beyond 11lb capacities.
Thanks,
Vinny

My first year or two I tried short, 20-30 second exposures (500 rule) with the F 14-24. They were OK, just not what I was looking for. So I caved, bought the IOptron Skyguider Pro (I had a few hundred dollars in Amazon gift cards because of a work rewards program, so I got it for almost nothing). I opted for that startracker since it has a counterweight, so a heavier payload (11 pounds). As I'm using a Z9 and now the Z 14-24, that payload is very welcome.

The nice thing with the tracker is you're not shackled by the 500 rule...the downside is a bit more post-processing. And don't forget to turn the tracker off and get stationary images, so you can blend a stationary foreground with the tracked stars.

And @Nimi, I'm jealous you're so close to a dark sky area! I have to drive at least 3-4 hours to get truly dark skies. This one is from one of the lakes in Superior National Forest, in Minnesota. Probably my best Milky Way photo to date.

View attachment 96221
Cool shot. Thanks for the advice; much appreciated. And I'm with you on the jealousy of Nimi's proximity to a shooting location. I too am looking at a couple hours drive, at least.

Thank you!

Check out Richard Tatti on youtube and his website. Everything you need will be there.

I second the recommendation of Nightscape Images videos (Richard Tatti). I have learned a lot from them, and he is very clear and straightforward in his instruction. I have the older MSM rotator and it works fairly well, and the Z 20mm/1.8 is stellar! (pun intended!) Maybe we should start a thread for astrophotography on here, if there isn’t one already.

I second the recommendation of Nightscape Images videos (Richard Tatti). I have learned a lot from them, and he is very clear and straightforward in his instruction. I have the older MSM rotator and it works fairly well, and the Z 20mm/1.8 is stellar! (pun intended!) Maybe we should start a thread for astrophotography on here, if there isn’t one already.
Thanks. I'm going to avoid buying yet another lens, for the moment until I've taken a few shots star-ward with the 14-24 first :)

I know…sorry for instigating. It’s just that I am having so much fun with both the astrophotography and the Seestar, I want others to as well. You’d catch on to the processing part very quickly, with your photography experience.
I had a look. That looks interesting; luckily (for my wallet) not really what I'm looking to do. Ultimately I'm interested in getting planet earth foregrounds with the dark sky shots, not the distant objects. Still, I'll be putting the Seestar on my Christmas list :)

I’m fairly sure that Hudson Henry has a course on Astro…and he’s my number 2 go to guy after Steve as he’s primarily a landscape photographer. I’ve thought several times about getting a tracker…but then there is no such thing as light pollution free sky here in SE FL.
Hudson Henry had a recent video on the Move/Shoot/Move tracker, he makes the MSM very enticing.

Thanks. And I'm not even going to look at the ZWO telescope! Sounds too tempting! :ROFLMAO:
The ZWO scopes are rebranded Askar scopes :) The smaller Redcat scopes from Williams Optics would be tempting :) I personally am using a StellarVue 90mm raptor scope for my deep sky stuff. It’s funny that focal length for photographers correlates to angle of view but for astro it’s all about the lens aperture.

Hudson Henry had a recent video on the Move/Shoot/Move tracker, he makes the MSM very enticing.
The very video that was the final push for me. And another video by a UK photographer who uses four other trackers and in the end likes the Move Shoot the best in most situations, for its simplicity and portability. And simple I am, so.... :)

The ZWO scopes are rebranded Askar scopes :) The smaller Redcat scopes from Williams Optics would be tempting :) I personally am using a StellarVue 90mm raptor scope for my deep sky stuff. It’s funny that focal length for photographers correlates to angle of view but for astro it’s all about the lens aperture.
Size matters; apparently length or diameter tho depending on your needs :)

Here's an interesting take on the Plena for astro.

Back