Jan Wegener reviews the Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I found 3D to want to jump around way too much. I would prefer the system to continue to track what it started on until I let off the AF button or I tell it to switch subjects with the little arrows it sometimes brings up. I understand that there will be more complex situations where any tracking system will get confused and jump to other things but Nikon's 3D is jumping way too often and in situations where it really isn't confusing at all. I had 3D on a kingfisher that was perched out on the very end of a long branch. So nothing else around it. Background was at least 1000 feet away and grossly OOF...the 3D thing would all of a sudden jump down the perch which looked nothing like the kingfisher and it would also all of a sudden drive focus all the way to that distant background. This was with a Lock on of 5. Even in other modes like Wide-Area I would aim it at the duck I wanted, it would see the eye, start tracking the eye no problem. Then for no reason jump the eye to another duck nearby. This was one of my big AF complaints when using the Z9, lack of persistence. Aim the A1 at your subject and the thing will ignore everything else no matter what is going on. I had both cameras out going back and forth between them during my testing and it was quite striking the difference in behavior.

...and [3D-tracking] blocked shot AF Response is mode [3] only.

I'm not 100% sure it's a huge problem all the time - I think it's more for those times when there are multiple similar subjects, especially if they are at a bit of a distance. I've seen it jump from swan to swan, and it does the same thing sometimes during flight shots. It's not as dedicated to the subject as the a1, but I don't know yet how far off it is- and it might take take a little playing and experimenting to really dial it in. It also may be that I had a rare experience- or it may be common. I'll be shooting it soon enough and I'll have some better answers - all my stuff is incredibly preliminary now (so much so I really shouldn't be sharing it - it'll bite me in the a** for sure). Right now, I'm way more concerned about the a1 guide :)
Me too! My credit card is on standby

I found 3D to want to jump around way too much. I would prefer the system to continue to track what it started on until I let off the AF button or I tell it to switch subjects with the little arrows it sometimes brings up. I understand that there will be more complex situations where any tracking system will get confused and jump to other things but Nikon's 3D is jumping way too often and in situations where it really isn't confusing at all. I had 3D on a kingfisher that was perched out on the very end of a long branch. So nothing else around it. Background was at least 1000 feet away and grossly OOF...the 3D thing would all of a sudden jump down the perch which looked nothing like the kingfisher and it would also all of a sudden drive focus all the way to that distant background. This was with a Lock on of 5. Even in other modes like Wide-Area I would aim it at the duck I wanted, it would see the eye, start tracking the eye no problem. Then for no reason jump the eye to another duck nearby. This was one of my big AF complaints when using the Z9, lack of persistence. Aim the A1 at your subject and the thing will ignore everything else no matter what is going on. I had both cameras out going back and forth between them during my testing and it was quite striking the difference in behavior.
I'm getting this exact thing also, I was on an Osprey and it was going from eye to perch etc for no good reason, quite annoying. I ended up going back to wide area and putting the box quite hight and away from the perch. What I did notice though going back on a different day with the same bird/perch it got worse as the light dropped, I think picking up perch highlights I reckon.

shared this in Z9 thread, but it's pertinent here. This statement jumped out on reading, emphasis added

"The camera is only as good as what you ask it to do. They don’t learn, like humans do. It still amazes me how few professional sports photographers ever change the tracking speed of their AF, for example. None of us can keep our subject in the middle of the frame all the time, but I change my AF tracking speed depending on what I’m shooting, so that if I know either that the camera is likely to get it wrong, or my subject is likely to temporarily leave the middle of the frame, I just turn the tracking speed down a notch so that it doesn’t try to go hunting for something else....."

Will be nice if they update the fw to let the user select different lock on settings for each af area mode/custom function button instead of one global lock on setting.

Last edited:
It seems Jan has issues using the front-of-camera buttons. This fact seems to overwhelm his entire experience with the Z-9. His AF approach with the Z-9 is similar to mine on the D-500-starting with a wider AF area (grp) then switching to a small area (sp) to pick up the eye. To accomplish thisI happen to prefer to use BBAF in GRP mode and to switch to single point with the Fn1 button that is located on the front of my d500. My ring finger reaches it easily. Three buttons on front would be even better as the Z-9 has.

Tom

Bobby Vogt presented his findings on some mammals in this preliminary report. Thom Hogan also noted some examples in his African blog from Botswana in Dec

My only argument with absolute statements like this is they seem to focus on birds, primarily BIF which can test a cameras and lenses ability to keep a subject in focus, but there are many other forms of wildlife and different situations. As an example, I shoot a lot of black bear which tend to be in shaded forest cover, lack contrast on the face/eyes, and quite often have blades of grass, twigs, or branches nearby, and require higher ISO. This can also be tricky for AF systems in a different way even though the bear tends to move slow. What works best for BIF might not work best here. Steve Matthies mentioned the bison in the snow was better handled by the Z9. Maybe you or @arbitrage have tested on other wildlife like black bear with all cameras and are taking it into consideration. As black bear are in hibernation I haven’t been able to and haven’t seen any comparisons. I have seen the Z9 detect the eyes of fish, lizards, birds, raccoons, squirrels, and birds, as well as the bodies of dolphins. I’m sure the best cameras do well in most of these situations, but not seeing comparisons. If you have tested, or even better compared the top cameras with other subjects, please share your findings as I am not a birder and am curious. If not, I‘d appreciate it if you could add “best for birds” to the comment. I’m not trying to disrespectful, just not into birds as much as most others here.

Is it not possible to setup a different suite of AF settings in each RSF in respective Custom banks?

If / When Nikon follow up on the awaiting Custom Group-Area modes in FW update (promised by Ricci Chera in his first substantive Z9 video).....

this could potentially expand its flexibility and bolster its robustness on erratic moving targets. Containing subject and/or eye-tracking in a custom box has interesting potential

that might be worth adding to Brad Hill’s fw request page
Will be nice if they update the fw to let the user select different lock on settings for each af area mode/custom function button instead of one global lock on setting.

Not worried about the AF capabilities at all personally. Its way better than my D500 or D850 and its still VERY early.
I've already seen some people on different sites or comments on youtube, after 1 month or less with the Z9, acting like this is it...like there's no such thing as firmware updates.
If those same people would have given the same short timeline to the R5 or A1 after debut...basically 1 month...how many would have kept them? How many people had issues with the A1 not even working if the sun was at their back? How many R5s overheated? And then how many FW updates have those 2 cameras had over the past year?

Just trying to give some perspective to the people that may be reading everything they can find...but do not have or haven't ordered their Z9 yet.

Bobby Vogt presented his findings on some mammals in this preliminary report. Thom Hogan also noted some examples in his African blog from Botswana in Dec

Thanks for sharing. Haven’t seen that one. Interesting to hear it didn’t recognize giraffes, zebras, elephants.

Not worried about the AF capabilities at all personally. Its way better than my D500 or D850 and its still VERY early.
I've already seen some people on different sites or comments on youtube, after 1 month or less with the Z9, acting like this is it...like there's no such thing as firmware updates.
If those same people would have given the same short timeline to the R5 or A1 after debut...basically 1 month...how many would have kept them? How many people had issues with the A1 not even working if the sun was at their back? How many R5s overheated? And then how many FW updates have those 2 cameras had over the past year?

Just trying to give some perspective to the people that may be reading everything they can find...but do not have or haven't ordered their Z9 yet.

For sure FW will likely make some changes in the future. There are features Nikon has already directly promised and there are highly likely features that Nikon ambassadors like Ricci have said are coming. Personally I kept the R5 for 7 months and the A1 going on 11 months despite the few bugs in the initial cameras. I would only sell a camera if it had a major flaw that I couldn't shoot around. I don't think the Z9 has any major flaw like that. Most people know I've sold my Z9 now but it really had very little to do with AF, a little more to do with customization/controls but mostly due to me realizing it wasn't the best fit for me to run a dual system at this time and the sunk cost to do so versus my alternative gear plan.

For sure FW will likely make some changes in the future. There are features Nikon has already directly promised and there are highly likely features that Nikon ambassadors like Ricci have said are coming. Personally I kept the R5 for 7 months and the A1 going on 11 months despite the few bugs in the initial cameras. I would only sell a camera if it had a major flaw that I couldn't shoot around. I don't think the Z9 has any major flaw like that. Most people know I've sold my Z9 now but it really had very little to do with AF, a little more to do with customization/controls but mostly due to me realizing it wasn't the best fit for me to run a dual system at this time and the sunk cost to do so versus my alternative gear plan.

Oh I definitely get it and understand your reasoning specifically, you have already been using a mature system. My original post wasnt aimed at you as I feel you actually give your straight forward opinion.

I was just trying to add some perspective, though. People just need to keep in mind that some of these commenters have been using their other system for a year, and that system has had updates/fixes for a year, and they've been getting familiar with the way the different AF modes act for a year, and yet they are trying to compare that to a camera they have used for a month, that has also only had a month of feedback for Nikon to prepare for FW, and are making definitive comments on the comparison of those systems.

I'll even say, if someone is looking for their best option RIGHT NOW, at least as far as AF goes for wildlife or maybe sports, then they should choose the A1 as it has been in service and field tested for a year now.

This all sounds like I should continue to use my R5/6 setup for wildlife until all the dust settles. The A1 sounds a bit better but I'm not a fan of sony colors or ergonomics. The Z9 sounds mostly on par with the R5, but I don't see the big upgrade in performance to switch back to nikon. The R3 sounds a bit better than the R5 but you give up resolution, which is important to me. I guess I'm waiting for an R5ii with stacked sensor. The smaller form factor is also a big plus as I take cameras on hikes and mtn bike rides where size/weight makes a big difference.

This all sounds like I should continue to use my R5/6 setup for wildlife until all the dust settles. The A1 sounds a bit better but I'm not a fan of sony colors or ergonomics. The Z9 sounds mostly on par with the R5, but I don't see the big upgrade in performance to switch back to nikon. The R3 sounds a bit better than the R5 but you give up resolution, which is important to me. I guess I'm waiting for an R5ii with stacked sensor. The smaller form factor is also a big plus as I take cameras on hikes and mtn bike rides where size/weight makes a big difference.
My wife shoots the R5 for the same subjects I use the A1 and now Z9 for - and it keeps up just fine for the most part. It's a heck of a camera IMO.

My wife shoots the R5 for the same subjects I use the A1 and now Z9 for - and it keeps up just fine for the most part. It's a heck of a camera IMO.
I was planning to go for R5C for my wife. How ever it has no VR (though it has some thing called Digital stabilization) since videographers don't seem to like like VR & hence undecided about it

I couldnt agree more....not to mention most of the use now as far as the big glass goes..... is using adapted glass on the Z9. I am expecting AF to go to another level with the new 400 on the Z9 which was produced and designed in tandem.

I've also noticed that Nikon's sports settings manual (Z9_TG_1) recommends Dynamic-area modes in cases where I would have (naively) tried Wide area (S) switching to 3D tracking after locking on. However, since getting the Z9 I haven't yet shot events the manual addresses.

For sprinters, the manual recommends starting with Dynamic and then switching to 3D. For swimming, the camera may get distracted by splashes so it recommends Dynamic-area after the event starts.

Maybe starting out with Dynamic-area lets the camera better recognize and learn the desired subject so that it can better lock focus on what is intended?

I haven't been using Dynamic-area at all with the Z9 and haven't seen much (any?) mention of it here or in the online reviews. Now that I have the camera, I'm going to reread the sports setting manual, but I wonder anyone with more experience has extracted and implemented wisdom from this document?

I have currently settled for

1) Shutter AF + Wide-area large - sensitivity 2... (change it on the go)
Use it where there isn't too much clutter.

2) BBAF+Dynamic mode Medium in DX mode & large in FX mode - sensitivity at 1.
Use it wide-area gets confused. I find this mode the closest to how Group AF.

3) Single point BBAF on the joystick button...for difficult scenarios.

After having used the camera for more than a month now, I think both Jan Wegener and Arbitrage make valid points and I value their input. I have no experience with the other mirrorless cameras but they do. Sometimes if the subject is distant I do a quick pre-focus with Single Point, then use Wide Area AF or 3D because there are times when these modes don't pick up subjects in the distance. However, the Z9 is the best Nikon camera I've ever used though and that's enough for me. It's challenging to get the most from it because there are simply so many options. I found the back button issue to be a problem for me and I'm trying shutter-button focus for the second time and it makes more sense for this camera. Like John Woodworth, I'm using 3D tracking in place the "focus and recompose" that I did with BBAF and it's likely more accurate. I have yet to program 3D to the AF-ON button but plan to try it next. For now, AF-ON is set to AF/AE lock. and Fn3 is set to 3D.

Hello Mike S - Do you mind explaining to my how 3D programmed to the AF-ON button would work? I use back button focus so I am curious about what you mentioned here. Thank you! I too am struggling getting all this stuff down...I am a primarily a wild horse photographer and am having a VERY hard time tracking horses. I believe is due to the shape of horses' heads - eyes on the side and no "prominent" nose. Only explanation I can come up with as people are tracking all sort of animals.

Hello Mike S - Do you mind explaining to my how 3D programmed to the AF-ON button would work? I use back button focus so I am curious about what you mentioned here. Thank you! I too am struggling getting all this stuff down...I am a primarily a wild horse photographer and am having a VERY hard time tracking horses. I believe is due to the shape of horses' heads - eyes on the side and no "prominent" nose. Only explanation I can come up with as people are tracking all sort of animals.

If you're asking how to actually program 3D to the AF-ON button, go to the Custom Settings menu to Controls> Custom Controls Shooting (F2)>then find AF-ON >Navigate to Area Mode+AF-ON setting > Select and navigate to 3D.

Here's what I'm doing at the moment (haha) for wildlife shooting. I chuckle because the changes are ongoing. I have the shutter button set for Wide AF Area L and the AF-ON button set for 3D. Others have mentioned picking up the subject in Wide Area AF then activating the BBAF for 3D to kick in. As a BBAF shooter for many years this is important to me rather than only the shutter button option because I won't be pressing the AF-ON button instinctively and have it not actually focus. So either way I will have focus. And for cold days (most days) when I'm wearing gloves, I'll use the shutter button as much as possible so I don't accidentally touch the joystick, always a problem for me when using only BBAF. It's early days but this has been good so far. If Nikon could find a way for me to disable that joystick (sub-controller) I would be happy since the multi-controller accomplishes the same tasks and it less likely to be bumped.

But there's an additional advantage of the subject tracking modes like 3D. One of the things I liked about BBAF is the ability to take my thumb off the AF-ON button, recompose and shoot for when you have a subject in the frame and you don't want them plunk in the middle. However with 3D, it stays on the subject's eye allowing you to change the composition. I suppose Wide Area AF would accomplish the same thing.

The Wide-AF Area L and Subject Detect set to Animals would be a good starting point for horses I would guess. But you could try 3D with Subject Detect on Animals as well. Given that horses have larger eyes than birds and the subject detection mode works on birds then it should work on horses. If the horses are too far away you could program one of the function buttons to Single Point to initially gain focus.

Yes. However, I gave up on shutter release AF at the moment - I'm finding it's too difficult with gloves. So, I'm shooting BBAF with 3D on the back button and Wide (L) on fn1. (3D isn't programmed to the back button though, just selected as my current AF area). Fn2 has single point. It's not as elegant as my Sony setup, but it's about as good as it gets I think.

Also, I think there are a lot of people that seem to think you MUST have all the AF areas you want to use programmed to your various buttons and never vary from that. I have my AF-On button set for just focus, no areas. This allows me to use any of the AF areas I like and match them to a given scene. A quick way to do it is to program AF area section to your movie record button. It's right by the shutter and when you press and spin you can rapidly go though all the areas.
Would love to see a short video on your present setting recommendations for the Z9. My Z9 is presently shipping to local photo shop. I was going to try 3D tracking on the BBAF but the glove comment made sense and spring isnt exactly around the corner here in Alaska. A video would be easier to see the exact set up as you are currently using. Love your video clips, they are very helpful. I know you are busy on other things and really want to give it time, I’m just excited about setting mine up and want feedback from someone who is focused on wildlife as that is my concentration. But even the recommendation to keep back button focus saves me time from trying out what others have done. I cant even fathom trying to learn NOT to use BBF now but was going to try. Instead I will keep BBF and check out your latest suggestions. I definitely am willing to switch that up with any new recommendations. I know we all realize that the Z9 is new out and will take some time to experiment and analyze. Wish the A1 wasnt in the picture 😒

Last edited:
Back