Large backpack recommendation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was in the same situation like you! I have my z600 tc with few others lenses and two bodies and I could not find anything that fit them all. With the help of a representative at B&H, i bought the Shimoda Design Action X70. I can fit, thé Z600 tc, the z 400 mm f4.5, the z 24-70 mm f2.8 , a macro z 105 mm and two bodies, the Z9 and the Z8. if I want to fit my z 70-200 f2:8, I have to put in the upper pocket. This bag has also a lot of pockets for cloth, laptop, cell phone and other stuff. It is very confortable to carry it On the back.
I had a Video chat with B&H representative, I told him what I want to carry. He tried so many backpack with the gear i mentioned, in front of me in the video chat and the Shimoda was the only bag that fit them all.

I was in the same situation like you! I have my z600 tc with few others lenses and two bodies and I could not find anything that fit them all. With the help of a representative at B&H, i bought the Shimoda Design Action X70. I can fit, thé Z600 tc, the z 400 mm f4.5, the z 24-70 mm f2.8 , a macro z 105 mm and two bodies, the Z9 and the Z8. if I want to fit my z 70-200 f2:8, I have to put in the upper pocket. This bag has also a lot of pockets for cloth, laptop, cell phone and other stuff. It is very confortable to carry it On the back.
I had a Video chat with B&H representative, I told him what I want to carry. He tried so many backpack with the gear i mentioned, in front of me in the video chat and the Shimoda was the only bag that fit them all.

And now they have a deeper insert - XXL DV too!
It is not like you cannot fit 600 with hood into Nya EVO - which has the best insert (imho) now for flights. But thet extra 1-3 cm of depth in DV insertsis super convinient and gives so much peace of mind that your precious lens is safe inside.

If i were to pick a backpack now I would check Nya evo/Shimoda/new lowepro 650AW. All 3 of them are super solid with some nice features to attach extra equipment to the backpack. Sleeping bags, camo nets, jackets, mats are all very light but pain to carry in hand!

It is not like you cannot fit 600 with hood into Nya EVO - which has the best insert (imho) now for flights. But thet extra 1-3 cm of depth in DV insertsis super convinient and gives so much peace of mind that your precious lens is safe inside.

If i were to pick a backpack now I would check Nya evo/Shimoda/new lowepro 650AW. All 3 of them are super solid with some nice features to attach extra equipment to the backpack. Sleeping bags, camo nets, jackets, mats are all very light but pain to carry in hand!
Thanks Wrogu and @Activert for this info. This looks a significantly better option to the similar sized fStop ICU.

I like the 20cm depth and especially the top opening. This is vital to access gear (big lens especially) in a car or hide

It was my first choice the Nya evo, but my lens would not fit in it, so I decided to go with the Shimoda, and it fits correctly in it. i have being using it now for almost 6 months and I like it

It was my first choice the Nya evo, but my lens would not fit in it, so I decided to go with the Shimoda, and it fits correctly in it. i have being using it now for almost 6 months and I like it
Nya evo has a new top opening ICU - very well made and awesome to carry as a carry on luggage. However it is designed to fit the 60C (which is an awesome backpack!) and thus it is a bit shallow. 600f4 Sony fits with no problems, but it is a tight fit. It is tight but not too tight, it does not stick into your back or something. If there was 0,5-1cm more it would be a loose fit and you would have to secure the lens with a strap. There is plenty length tho and the backpack stands on its own in the top position, which I find useful for charging and taking cards out ouf camera, without taking it out from the backpack.

NYA-EVORCIXL3site_1000x.jpg

Nya evo has a new top opening ICU - very well made and awesome to carry as a carry on luggage. However it is designed to fit the 60C (which is an awesome backpack!) and thus it is a bit shallow. 600f4 Sony fits with no problems, but it is a tight fit. It is tight but not too tight, it does not stick into your back or something. If there was 0,5-1cm more it would be a loose fit and you would have to secure the lens with a strap. There is plenty length tho and the backpack stands on its own in the top position, which I find useful for charging and taking cards out ouf camera, without taking it out from the backpack.

NYA-EVORCIXL3site_1000x.jpg
Wow! I did not know they have such bag As carry on. I like it. from where you got it? I did not see on B&H web

Wow! I did not know they have such bag As carry on. I like it. from where you got it? I did not see on B&H web
I am from Europe :) as the NyaEvo designers are. There is a preorder at their site at the moment (they usually had a kickstarter campaign, but not this time). So it should ship soon. I have had a chance to test their prototype. It is really clever piece of gear, with handles and backpack- like straps if someone wants to carry the insert like that.

We are really lucky now with few super solid backpack companies on the market and imho NyaEvo being one of them. Those small details can make a change. Personally I am a fan of backpacks with rolltops :)

I am from Europe :) as the NyaEvo designers are. There is a preorder at their site at the moment (they usually had a kickstarter campaign, but not this time). So it should ship soon. I have had a chance to test their prototype. It is really clever piece of gear, with handles and backpack- like straps if someone wants to carry the insert like that.

We are really lucky now with few super solid backpack companies on the market and imho NyaEvo being one of them. Those small details can make a change. Personally I am a fan of backpacks with rolltops :)
Thank you for all the infos! I read about their bag and the way they make it. I learned that it is made from recycling fishing net which makes them environnement friendly Which is so important to me. I will order the same as yours, to use it as a carry on. Thanks again

Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 550 AW II Backpack (Gray) from BH Photo. It gets heavy when fully loaded, but it's well-built and well-designed. It's also not inexpensive, but has been (in my opinion) worth it.

This company has been going for years and have some decent products. Their Lens Trekker 600 is the best - Specialized - protective solution I've found to hike with a big telephoto with attached ILC. I also use the Trekker to protect my 800 E rigged up ready in a vehicle. This is when its detachable hipbelt is useful.

The adjustable harness is well designed for hiking with a load, and the extended top flap works well. The adjustable collar actually does have sufficient strength to spread the load using the lens foot. I replaced the protective padding in the base with thinner square of 16mm SPX33 high impact foam.

The only negative is insufficient space to pack a few more key accessories for a hike, but an extra camera with attached wideangle can fit at the top, on padding, with a shorter telephoto. I attach external pouches on the outer webbing straps.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a large backpack that needs to have space for 2 bodies, 180-600, 400 F2.8 24-70 2x converter and bits and bobs like chargers? I’m really struggling to find anything suitable. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks
Many good recommendations here. The only thing I’ll add is to comment on what I do. I gave up trying to find the ideal backpack to carry everything when I travel, and simply use a Think Tank Airport Advantage to carry most of my gear (which fits easily in virtually all overhead compartments), and carry a smaller backpack as my “personal” bag. Then, when I get to my destination, I use the backpack as my field tote for a day’s outing, which holds my camera & lenses for the day, extra batteries, etc. This approach works fairly well for me, although if money were no object, I’d hire a personal porter for the entire trip, and simply have her hand me things as I need them 🥴 Better still, I‘d use my private jet to whisk me places to avoid airport crowds and the TSA.

Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 550 AW II Backpack (Gray) from BH Photo. It gets heavy when fully loaded, but it's well-built and well-designed. It's also not inexpensive, but has been (in my opinion) worth it.

I think their new 650 AW II is way better. Few modular pieces make it very useful. I wish they hade a larger top compartment as an option - a kind of a rolltop which could be detachable (liek their current solution). Otherwise plenty of points to attach extra gear to the backpack to keep hands free! The carrying system looks great as well.

In another thread I asked a similar question. Someone told me to look into the Shimoda Design x70, I like the looks of it and have similar equipment as you have.
I checked several airlines for their carry-on restriction and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Did you air travel with this backpack?

Thank you for all the infos! I read about their bag and the way they make it. I learned that it is made from recycling fishing net which makes them environnement friendly Which is so important to me. I will order the same as yours, to use it as a carry on. Thanks again
So you prefer the Nya-evo over the Shimoda? On the B&H site I read that the NYA-EVO has an aluminum frame which makes it (potentially) more comfortable to carry.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a large backpack that needs to have space for 2 bodies, 180-600, 400 F2.8 24-70 2x converter and bits and bobs like chargers? I’m really struggling to find anything suitable. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks
I decide what internal dimensions are needed and then go to the B&H website and use their internal dimension filters to quickly have a list that will work. Then is is a matter of choosing one based on its overall design, including carry straps that can be enclosed and carry handles, both of which make the bag easier to carry on an off airplanes. The same bags in terms of outside cubic inches can vary greatly on their weight and the available space inside. The Gura Gear were exceptional in their use of thinner padding so more space was available inside. They also have outer pockets so a lot of small items can be accessed without having to open the main compartment where I keep my lenses and cameras.

I also prefer a backpack that allows me to carry the tripod on the side and where I can open the main compartment to get to a lens without having to first remove the tripod. Many photo backpacks do not provide this feature that I consider important.

At this point if something happened to one of my Gura Gear Bataflae 32L or 26L backpacks I would be looking for a used one to buy on eBay or elsewhere. Picture shows the Bataflae 32L with the 600mm f/4E and 80-400mm attached to D850 cameras for immediate access and use in the field.

View attachment 71811
Have the same bag! Have two D500’s. Have a 16-80, a 70-200 2.8, a 80-400 and a 500 PF. Can have one of the three bigger lenses attached to each body and have room for the other two lenses, flash, battery chargers,/batteries, as well as other accessories. Love it!

I chatted with B&H today to find out if my gear will fit. Besides the 600mm with the Z9 attached I'd like to bring a 58mm, MC 105, 14-24 f2.8 and a 105mm f1.4.
I made a drawing of the dimensions and I think it will fit. I can't get the 500mm pf in but that's not a problem.I used the dimensions of the XXL dv core unit. I can't find out what the difference is between the X70 and the X70 HD and if they both fit the XXL dv core unit.

Has one of you loaded similar equipment in a X70 with this core unit? Please tell me your thoughts.

B&H thought that the shimoda x70 is the best option.

I chatted with B&H today to find out if my gear will fit. Besides the 600mm with the Z9 attached I'd like to bring a 58mm, MC 105, 14-24 f2.8 and a 105mm f1.4.
I made a drawing of the dimensions and I think it will fit. I can't get the 500mm pf in but that's not a problem.I used the dimensions of the XXL dv core unit. I can't find out what the difference is between the X70 and the X70 HD and if they both fit the XXL dv core unit.

Has one of you loaded similar equipment in a X70 with this core unit? Please tell me your thoughts.

B&H thought that the shimoda x70 is the best option.

As good as the B&H site is for info, they have a few measurements wrong (some have the internal vs. external measurements swapped), so I went direct to the Shimoda site for a) internal pack size and b) DV core internal size, then compared that with packs from other manufactures (using their direct site measurements as well).

Turns out, the X70 doesn't have as much room as one might think (it certainly isn't anywhere near 70L).

I went with the MindShift Gear Firstlight 46L. It has the internet dimensions, plus added space outside of core for additional storage (to put the kind of thing one uses when they backpack with a lot of gear, such as food and extra layer storage).

Chris

I have checked firstlight before and I still think shimoda/nyaevo/650aw ii are better choces. They all should fit 600f4 with a body attached and have several options to carry extra food and clothing plus some extra stuff like a small tenthide with mat etc. Mindshift seems to make lovely gear but every model od theirs is imho lacking something. Usually internal dimensions are on the small side as well.

Gura Gear 30L
What I carry:

Z9
Z8
Nikon 600mm F4. (RolanPro) folded hood
Nikon 400mm F4.5
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8
Nikon 24-70mm 2.8
Nikon TCs
Filters & batteries
Nikon SB-900
Memory cards

Mindshift Backlight 26L
What I carry:

Z9
Z8
Nikon 180-600mm 6.3
Nikon 400mm 4.5
Filters & batteries
Nikon TCs
Memory cards

Both bags are carry on friendly but the 30L is heavy. Not all bags work for everyone but these bags serve my needs.

I have checked firstlight before and I still think shimoda/nyaevo/650aw ii are better choces. They all should fit 600f4 with a body attached and have several options to carry extra food and clothing plus some extra stuff like a small tenthide with mat etc. Mindshift seems to make lovely gear but every model od theirs is imho lacking something. Usually internal dimensions are on the small side as well.
Cool. I would recommend avoiding the LowePro though due to my experience with zipper failure (a bad thing to happen in the field with large amounts of gear).

Chris

So you prefer the Nya-evo over the Shimoda? On the B&H site I read that the NYA-EVO has an aluminum frame which makes it (potentially) more comfortable to carry.
I am now on safari in Tanzania and I am using my Shimoda 70 Backpack which I love and happy to have it on this trip. For the carry on, I need one that fit my 600 mm tc plus 2 bodies camera and some lenses. I will look at both once I am home and see which one have the most space and respect the airline requirement

In another thread I asked a similar question. Someone told me to look into the Shimoda Design x70, I like the looks of it and have similar equipment as you have.
I checked several airlines for their carry-on restriction and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Did you air travel with this backpack?
No, it is too big to be used as carry on. Now I am in Africa and here how I travelled with my equipement. I carried my 600 mm in its original bag on my shoulder. I put in my pelican suitcase which I used as carry on, my Z8, Z9, z 400 mm 4.5, z70-200 mm f2.8, Z 24-70 mm f2.8, tc 1.4, z8 grip., my tablet. I wore photography jacket in which I put all my chargers and my batteries and it worked well. I used my Shimoda as luggage and I filled it with other accessory. Once I arrived to Africa, I transferred all my lenses and body camera into my Shimoda. It worked well. But I feel if I can put my 600 mm with others lenses and camera bodies in a carry on it would work better.

Last edited:
Back