Large backpack recommendation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

F-stop Anja with XL ICU.
Gura Gear Kiboko 30L
There are some nice ThinkTank/Mindshift ones also.

I own 3 Gura Gear bags and the Anja/XL. I use my Anja 95% of the time.
I'm not sure if you can get everything you list into the Anja/XLICU though. Probably but I don't have that exact gear to check. I know I can fit Sony A1/400/2.8 attached, another body, 200-600 and can fit TCs (in protective cases) tucked around the big lens. Probably could find some room for the 24-70 but not sure.
Gura Gear should fit all your stuff without issue.
Anja is a nicer bag to wear/walk/hike but GG is good for airplane hauling of max gear for size of bag.

A few Anja and GG32 photos...
View attachment 71673
View attachment 71674View attachment 71675View attachment 71676View attachment 71677View attachment 71678View attachment 71679
What lens cap are you using for the 400GM?

Shimoda, Shimoda, Shimoda, absolutely swear by it. I was crippled a few years back with bad lower back and the X70 is totally amazing--I was once leaving home and thought I'd forgot the gear--I didn't, it is that light with a Nikon 600mm f4 FL plust adapter plus 1.7TC plus Nikon Z9 attached. I also often carry Canon IS binoculars and a Systematic Gitzo tripod with a Wimberley gimbal on the outside plus a camera and lens MrJanGear carrier and some other smaller gear. I can walk for miles with all that with no harm.

No, it is too big to be used as carry on. Now I am in Africa and hear how I travelled with my equipement. I carried my 600 mm in its original bag on my shoulder. I put in my pelican suitcase which I used as carry on, my Z8, Z9, z 400 mm 4.5, z70-200 mm f2.8, Z 24-70 mm f2.8, tc 1.4, z8 grip., my tablet. I wore photography jacket in which I put all my chargers and my batteries and it worked well. I used my Shimoda as luggage and I filled it with other accessory. Once I arrived to Africa, I transferred all my lenses and body camera into my Shimoda. It worked well. But I feel if I can put my 600 mm with others lenses and camera bodies in a carry on it would work better.
Thank you, I hoped to use a backpack that fits the 600 and was allowed as carry-on.
So you check-in the shimoda and use that for the rest of your luggage?
What pelican case do you use? I have similar equipment.

No, it is too big to be used as carry on. Now I am in Africa and here how I travelled with my equipement. I carried my 600 mm in its original bag on my shoulder. I put in my pelican suitcase which I used as carry on, my Z8, Z9, z 400 mm 4.5, z70-200 mm f2.8, Z 24-70 mm f2.8, tc 1.4, z8 grip., my tablet. I wore photography jacket in which I put all my chargers and my batteries and it worked well. I used my Shimoda as luggage and I filled it with other accessory. Once I arrived to Africa, I transferred all my lenses and body camera into my Shimoda. It worked well. But I feel if I can put my 600 mm with others lenses and camera bodies in a carry on it would work better.
Now I was watching an interesting YouTube video about this. He was using the f-stop tilopa for airplane travel and it happened twice (out many flights) that he was refused to bring it on the plane. They wanted him to check it in. What he did was to take the internal unit out and bring that as carry on and check the rest of the bag. The insert of the f-stop looks a bit better suited for that purpose than the shimoda but it might work.
I understand that the tilopa is smaller than the x70 but maybe this could be a workaround if necessary?

Now I was watching an interesting YouTube video about this. He was using the f-stop tilopa for airplane travel and it happened twice (out many flights) that he was refused to bring it on the plane. They wanted him to check it in. What he did was to take the internal unit out and bring that as carry on and check the rest of the bag. The insert of the f-stop looks a bit better suited for that purpose than the shimoda but it might work.
I understand that the tilopa is smaller than the x70 but maybe this could be a workaround if necessary?
I thought I could do the same by taking the internal unit out to carry if they refuses to let me bring it in the place. But my unit close with the zipper and the top cover is not strong to be carried. I Can fix that problem with another cover. At the same time I don’t like to put the internal unit in the overhead cabin, I see people how they push items to put their own suitcase. I feel it is better to get a photography carry on that respect the norm of the airline and then transfer everything into the bag back while at destination.
I love the Shimoda bagpack and it is was the best choice for me in this trip. I had all the equipement next to me in the bag open in the safari vehicule and it worked very well when getting something quick. We did 18 days safari and I could not imagine being able to carry and protect my equipement in different way than I did

Mark Comon of Paul's Photo has a 10 min video on U-tube titled "The perfect camera bag" Worth a peek. I bought the Mindshift First Light 40L on his recommendation.

I thought I could do the same by taking the internal unit out to carry if they refuses to let me bring it in the place. But my unit close with the zipper and the top cover is not strong to be carried. I Can fix that problem with another cover. At the same time I don’t like to put the internal unit in the overhead cabin, I see people how they push items to put their own suitcase. I feel it is better to get a photography carry on that respect the norm of the airline and then transfer everything into the bag back while at destination.
I love the Shimoda bagpack and it is was the best choice for me in this trip. I had all the equipement next to me in the bag open in the safari vehicule and it worked very well when getting something quick. We did 18 days safari and I could not imagine being able to carry and protect my equipement in different way than I did
I just ordered the shimoda X70 HD. Now I still have to figure out how to fly with it.
Get another backpack as a carry on or get a pelican case and put the shimoda in there.
I find checking in camera gear terrifying but many pros do it. Attaching a gps tag is a possibility.

I just ordered the shimoda X70 HD. Now I still have to figure out how to fly with it.
Get another backpack as a carry on or get a pelican case and put the shimoda in there.
I find checking in camera gear terrifying but many pros do it. Attaching a gps tag is a possibility.
Great :D
it's big! Lot's of space, top access, and tall enough to carry most of the long telephotos rigged for quick access. It's up there with the fStop Shinn.

Check the dimensions of the ICU wrt the maximum allowed by the airline, but you should be able to surrender the shell at the gate in the worst case scenario, or better, check separately as you say. See advice in the linked review.

Beware, ensure the ICU handles/straps are stronger enough for a heavy load. The strap on my big fStop ICU snapped as I lifted it, but no damage fortunately.

If you're looking for a pack in the field, no airplane constraint, I tend to use a real hiking backpack with an ICU of appropriate size into it. The main advantage is comfort on your back with real hip belt and so on. you can take a big one 65l (4500ci) or even more, and you can have with you all necessary stuff to stay 3 - 5 days in the wild.

Some features to consider in selecting a backpack is the thickness of the padding as thicker padding means less interior space available, pockets for accessories that do no require opening the main compartment to reach or put away, side handles that make it easy to carry the bag without using the shoulder straps, attachment of tripod on the side so you can open the main compartment without having to first remove the tripod. These are my "must have" features for any backpack I use.

I have tried several backpacks and have found some things that help and some that do not.

A lot depends on whether you want something for storage and transport by plane or vehicle, or you want something that can be handled on a hike.

I simply can't fit all my gear in one bag, so when I travel somewhere I either thin things down or bring two bags.

The Gura Gear 30l is a nice backpack with sufficient room to carry one long lens on one side and a few smaller ones on the other. The pack itself is light enough, I have another pack made by Think Tank that is super heavy when loaded. There are bigger packs out there.

HOWEVER none of these packs work for me if I have to hike any distance.

I have gone to a custom backpack built by McHale packs. The McHale packs have an internal frame that is custom fitted to your back dimensions. All the weight is transferred into the hips with no vertical pressure on the shoulders. The shoulder straps can be tightened to hold the pack securely against your back so the pack remains stable and does not shift around. The end result is a super comfortable pack fitted to you that you can walk with all day long carrying enything you care to throw in it.

The pack I am getting takes off the shelf camera inserts and I currently am using the F Stop Pro ICU xl which can carry more than enough lenses and bodies that I would need for a single day shoot.

The custom pack is more expensive but still under 1 grand.

I have gone to a custom backpack built by McHale packs. The McHale packs have an internal frame that is custom fitted to your back dimensions. All the weight is transferred into the hips with no vertical pressure on the shoulders. The shoulder straps can be tightened to hold the pack securely against your back so the pack remains stable and does not shift around. The end result is a super comfortable pack fitted to you that you can walk with all day long carrying enything you care to throw in it.

This is exactly the definition in my opinion of a good backpack : weight management on the hip and not on the shoulder. a good lumbar pad is a real must. Yes these packs are expensive but definitely change the way you hike.

When I started with photography and with long lenses did I use LowePro, simply because that was the brand my dealer at that time was selling. Then I changed shop and found the MrJanGear Boris backpack and served me wel. On Saturday will I use him one more time and will it most likely retire.
In it for the upcoming trip:
2x Z9
1x 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3
1x 600mm f/4 TC S
a binocular
Various pouches with spare batteries, chargers, USB cables, ...

I was however in the market for something new, party GAS partly better waterproof. After much reading, reaching out to various manufacturers and what not did I purchased the Nya-Evo 60-C Fjord Econyl last month (in red :) ). The XL RCI however is not yet available and will only be purchasable by the end of the month. I did however already bough the L RCI, more on those RCI's below.

That backpack is extremely well made and will be going with me to Africa in April. So, I can't show yet what this backpack can hold with that XL insert but pretty sure I am in for ride :) (and a lot of weight).

In the meantime did I also bought the smaller member of the Nya-Evo family, more specific the 36L Econyl in pine green with another 2 L RCIs.

What is the story with those RCIs? Well, I have now three of them, one is in the 36L backpack and the other two are used to store lenses when not out on sa shoot.

Fun fact, both the owner of MrJanGear and Nya-Evo are Belgian and guess where I'm from? Indeed :p

For my business travels do I take usually my Z8 with me along with the awesome 24-120 f/4 lens and now also the 180-600mm lens (will get it tomorrow). Those will go in the Think Tank / Mindshift Gear Backlight 26L. Also lots of love for that well made backpack.

I have multiple shoulder bags and multiple backpacks so that I can adjust my kit to include only what is needed out in the field. Even traveling overseas there is no need to take everything on day trips. I use a 32L backpack and a 18L backpack and the smaller one qualifies as a "personal item" for airline travel. Instead of 37 lbs in the 32L backpack it has 20-22 lbs as the heaviest items go inside the 18L.

I favor relatively light lenses like the 500mm PF and the 800mm PF and would not consider using a 400mm f/2.8 lens even if it was free. I carry at most two lenses into the field and two cameras. Seldom do I use a lens case or backpack to haul my 800mm PF but instead use a Kirk security strap and have it carried with the strap across my shoulder and back.

For day trips my backpack load is always less than15 lbs and that is by design.

My preferred lens inventory when doing bird photography is the 800mm pf backed up by the 600mm pf. I prefer to bring the tripod and gimbal. I prefer to bring the 14-24 f2.8 and the z 24-70mm f4 for the occasional landscape. I will bring two bodies, Z9 and Z7ii. That is my preference I often go with less.

With a good backpack I should be able to carry all of that for miles without difficulty.

Typically I will hold the Z0 and 800 pf on a blackrapid strap while shooting. The tripod/gimbal can be suspended on the side of the pack and deployed without having to remove the pack.

I find it very awkward to carry the camera and lens attached to the tripod hanging over my shoulder.

I just bought the Mindshift 36L backpack and love it. There’s tons of room, it’s lightweight and very comfortable to hike with.

Nya evo has a new top opening ICU - very well made and awesome to carry as a carry on luggage. However it is designed to fit the 60C (which is an awesome backpack!) and thus it is a bit shallow. 600f4 Sony fits with no problems, but it is a tight fit. It is tight but not too tight, it does not stick into your back or something. If there was 0,5-1cm more it would be a loose fit and you would have to secure the lens with a strap. There is plenty length tho and the backpack stands on its own in the top position, which I find useful for charging and taking cards out ouf camera, without taking it out from the backpack.
Is that a tight fit with the hood reversed? Or does it only fit without the hood?

This is exactly the definition in my opinion of a good backpack : weight management on the hip and not on the shoulder. a good lumbar pad is a real must. Yes these packs are expensive but definitely change the way you hike.
Good backpacks are designed to allow users to carry huge weights over long distances. At least when dealing with FX size cameras there is no reason why the average person can't carry as much gear as we want on a day of shooting. Our body is built to handle weight on our hips not on our back or shoulders.

The company I deal with, McHale packs, is a quirky one-person business in Seattle. Dan McHale operates out of his home and personally interacts with all his customers. He does not advertise and has the most disordered and quirky web page. He has been in business since the 1980's and has a reputation for quality and competence. When it comes to packs he is a master of his craft.

I bought a custom fitted and designed hiking backpack from him about 20 years ago and it is the most comfortable pack I have ever used. I took it on a three week trek to the far east and carried 50 or more pounds of weight everywhere with no problems. Twenty some years later the pack still works and has needed no repair.

With all the money I spend on camera gear I would much rather spend a bit more to get a pack that really works for me.

Back