Lens Coat alternatives...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So, my second lens cover in two years (LensCoat brand) has disintegrated. Which is kind of annoying given how much they cost. I guess I could go around with bare naked lens but I like the camo pattern and having the lens barrel protected from bumps and scrapes. So, are you all aware of alternative brands of lens covers that are not neoprene based (that is what keeps rotting into a pile of goo) and does a decent job of protecting a lens and helping blend into the environment? I'm looking for something that fits the nikon 200-500 lens. Thanks

My last two covers have been from this site. Love em! The best as far as I am concerned and if I remember correctly fairly priced. Covers from this company and the pinch caps from Karl (zemlinphoto.com) will be the first thing I order when I get a new or new to me lens. Both are excellent products!

So, my second lens cover in two years (LensCoat brand) has disintegrated. Which is kind of annoying given how much they cost. I guess I could go around with bare naked lens but I like the camo pattern and having the lens barrel protected from bumps and scrapes. So, are you all aware of alternative brands of lens covers that are not neoprene based (that is what keeps rotting into a pile of goo) and does a decent job of protecting a lens and helping blend into the environment? I'm looking for something that fits the nikon 200-500 lens. Thanks
FWIW, I've been using vinyl Camo Rolls from Mossy Oaks Graphics. They're inexpensive, light, come in a variety of patterns, are easy to apply and easy to remove without leaving residue. They're not neoprene, just vinyl but that's plenty to protect from scrapes and they don't trap moisture which can be an advantage:

I ordered the rolanpro for my 800pf. When it comes in on Thursday I'll update with my thoughts.

I used the Mossy Oak on my 500pf. It's held up well. It was a pain to cut to shape on the tapered part of the lens though.

The other lenscoat products I used didn't hold up as well as I would have hoped given the price.

I ordered the rolanpro for my 800pf. When it comes in on Thursday I'll update with my thoughts.

I used the Mossy Oak on my 500pf. It's held up well. It was a pain to cut to shape on the tapered part of the lens though.

The other lenscoat products I used didn't hold up as well as I would have hoped given the price.
That was my exact concern. The Z 600 is quite tapered! Be quick, Bill. I need to implement a solution in a couple of weeks. LOL!

I've had pretty good service out of the Lenscoat products. I've put a good bit of use on both the lenscoats and raincoats and they've held up well. But the prices are high. The Lenscoat for the 800mm PF is 30% more than the Hejnar foot. That's just wacko. Lenscoat still doesn't have the 400mm 4.5 so I think I'm going to give the camo vinyl linked above a try.

My last two covers have been from this site. Love em! The best as far as I am concerned and if I remember correctly fairly priced. Covers from this company and the pinch caps from Karl (zemlinphoto.com) will be the first thing I order when I get a new or new to me lens. Both are excellent products!

These look interesting. I'll give it a deep dive.

FWIW, I've been using vinyl Camo Rolls from Mossy Oaks Graphics. They're inexpensive, light, come in a variety of patterns, are easy to apply and easy to remove without leaving residue. They're not neoprene, just vinyl but that's plenty to protect from scrapes and they don't trap moisture which can be an advantage:

So, you order a roll of the size and pattern you want and then you cut it yourself to fit? Is that difficult? Any special tools needed?

I'm following this. I've always used Lens Coat coverings with no problems. BUT.....what do you recommend?
I have only used LenCoat coverings but I've become disenchanted with the fabric fraying and the neoprene not aging well at all. Then there's the cost. I surf and I can buy a wetsuit for just a little more than a Lens Coat lens cover. Somehow that seems wrong.

I've had pretty good service out of the Lenscoat products. I've put a good bit of use on both the lenscoats and raincoats and they've held up well. But the prices are high. The Lenscoat for the 800mm PF is 30% more than the Hejnar foot. That's just wacko. Lenscoat still doesn't have the 400mm 4.5 so I think I'm going to give the camo vinyl linked above a try.
If you try the camo vinyl post some comments about how it went. I'm intrigued

So, you order a roll of the size and pattern you want and then you cut it yourself to fit? Is that difficult? Any special tools needed?
You order the length you want at the standard widths, no need to order an entire roll and then yes you cut then to fit. I found it pretty easy to cover several of my lenses. Tapers like the tapered bell on some super telephoto lenses takes a bit more time but it isn't hard. They sell it in 24" and 48" widths and you buy it by the foot at that width.

Here's my 500mm PF wrapped up in some of that Mossy Oaks Graphics vinyl:

DSC04168.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

You order the length you want at the standard widths, no need to order an entire roll and then yes you cut then to fit. I found it pretty easy to cover several of my lenses. Tapers like the tapered bell on some super telephoto lenses takes a bit more time but it isn't hard. They sell it in 24" and 48" widths and you buy it by the foot at that width.

View attachment 50246
And do you like it better than LensCoat? Pros and cons.....?

Do you know if the rolls of tape are the same material? Description sounds like it's the same but doesn't say so specifically.

And do you like it better than LensCoat? Pros and cons.....?
My 200-400mm f/4 has a Lens Coat cover from the previous owner and I've had several in the past on various lenses but going forward I'll stick with the Mossy Oaks vinyl.

Pros:
- Inexpensive
- Lightweight
- Doesn't trap moisture after sessions working in rain, snow or high humidity conditions which sometimes happened with my neoprene covers
- Leaves no residue if you decide to remove them though that's true of Lens Coat covers as well

Cons:
- No padding which could conceivably add some bump protection but mostly I'm protecting against scratches while moving through the brush and no cover will help against a full drop of a big lens.
- A bit of an arts and crafts project to install but a bit of time with a straight edge, utility knife and maybe some scissors makes it pretty easy. The stuff has a bit of stretch and turns corners well (see the back edge of the lens hood on the photo above, that was easy). On tapers I cut longitudinal slices so I can overlap sections to follow the taper which is pretty intuitive.

My 200-400mm f/4 has a Lens Coat cover from the previous owner and I've had several in the past on various lenses but going forward I'll stick with the Mossy Oaks vinyl.

Pros:
- Inexpensive
- Lightweight
- Doesn't trap moisture after sessions working in rain, snow or high humidity conditions which sometimes happened with my neoprene covers
- Leaves no residue if you decide to remove them though that's true of Lens Coat covers as well

Cons:
- No padding which could conceivably add some bump protection but mostly I'm protecting against scratches while moving through the brush and no cover will help against a full drop of a big lens.
- A bit of an arts and crafts project to install but a bit of time with a straight edge, utility knife and maybe some scissors makes it pretty easy. The stuff has a bit of stretch and turns corners well (see the back edge of the lens hood on the photo above, that was easy). On tapers I cut longitudinal slices so I can overlap sections to follow the taper which is pretty intuitive.
By longitudinal slices - do you mean triangular shapes? I can see me making a paper pattern first........!

By longitudinal slices - do you mean triangular shapes? I can see me making a paper pattern first........!
By 'longitudinal' I just mean parallel to the optical axis of the lens or IOW, in line with the length of the lens. But yes, I've done both on different lenses. That is, either just slices and then overlap as necessary to closely follow the taper or cut out long skinny triangular sections again running in-line with the lens so there's not as much overlapped material where they do overlap. Either method can work and for gentle tapers like those towards the camera end of the 500mm PF there's enough stretch in the vinyl to just wrap the material without any fancy slices.

View attachment 50246
When I did my 500pf I was replacing a worn out lenscoat. I cut the seams of the lenscoat and used the pieces as templates.

I recently bought a Rolanpro cover for my 200-500 and it's great. Strong stitching, quality fabric, plus the pieces have a vinyl like material on the inside that prevents slipping. The velcro 'door' to get to the switches is also a nice touch. The only downside is that it doesn't fit my Kirk collar so the base of the lens isn't covered, unless I want to go back to the OEM collar. I previously had a cover from outdoorphotographygear.co.uk. It fits well, has decent padding, and has stitching on the edges to prevent fraying, but I had to use double sided tape to prevent the pieces from sliding, and it also didn't fit my Kirk collar. I've never used Lenscoat products but that's mainly due to the fact I think they're overpriced. I'll also look in to the camo wrap. I imagine it's a bit easier to apply to the 200-500 which doesn't have as much taper as some of the telephoto primes.

I've used these covers from outdoorphotographygear.co.uk several times now, most recently on my new 800 PF 6.3. They are similar to Lens Coat, but better. The material is slightly thicker than LC and the ends are sown with thread to prevent unraveling or splitting. The fit is good, and best of all they cost much less.

Only two downsides. They take a bit longer to ship to the US coming from the UK, and they are hit and miss responding to emails. The first time I ordered from them they responded to my questions in a day. On my most recent purchase they never did respond.

Still, great product at a good price. Better quality and lower price than Lens Coat (which I've used for years - but no more).

I think these are better quality (double stitched and rubber backed) and cheaper. And David is a realy nice guy. I had one for my 500pf and now 1 for my 400. I can realy recommend these.

PXL_20221110_090635292.MP.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I apply studio gaffers tape 1" to all the wear points in my lens coat lens covers -- end of the hood is the most prone to damage. Lens coat is made from neoprene and needs to dry out otherwise it, like scuba diving suits? Rot away. I am fairly sure the FAQ ON Lenscoat web site says this

View attachment 50246
That looks great! Wanna do mine for me? Kidding, I'm kidding...

Back