Lens Coat alternatives...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So, my second lens cover in two years (LensCoat brand) has disintegrated. Which is kind of annoying given how much they cost. I guess I could go around with bare naked lens but I like the camo pattern and having the lens barrel protected from bumps and scrapes. So, are you all aware of alternative brands of lens covers that are not neoprene based (that is what keeps rotting into a pile of goo) and does a decent job of protecting a lens and helping blend into the environment? I'm looking for something that fits the nikon 200-500 lens. Thanks
I use Aquatec lens coats, i have one 15years old another 10 years both are in mint condition after heavy constant use is super tough conditions, ocean salt spray, rain, snow, hail, especially heat, you get what you pay for, all my Pro mates only use the stuff.
I have several under water phone cases as well, just brilliant, i used mine again recently diving at Norfolk Island.

https://au.aquatech.net/?utm_campai...MIpKCW1Ifw-wIVuZpmAh3NPw89EAAYASAAEgLF0vD_BwE

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I'm also late to this post but I also recommend RolandPro. After my LensCoat for the 500 PF disintegrated after 2 years, I tried RolandPro. Costs less and looks new after 3 years of taking it in and out of the bag

I use Aquatec lens coats, i have one 15years old another 10 years both are in mint condition after heavy constant use is super tough conditions, ocean salt spray, rain, snow, hail, especially heat, you get what you pay for, all my Pro mates only use the stuff.
I have several under water phone cases as well, just brilliant, i used mine again recently diving in Norfolk Island.

https://au.aquatech.net/?utm_campai...MIpKCW1Ifw-wIVuZpmAh3NPw89EAAYASAAEgLF0vD_BwE

Only an opinion
When the big movie makers come to Oz to make those block busters a lot of the gear they use is also is from what i have mentioned above..........especially for underwater film making, they are a pro outfit.
They use only really quality materials especially the rubbers, zippers and stitching..

Look into Rolanpro. I don't have one, but I've seen'em. Look a lot more substantial than the Lenscoat sleeves.
Is the PolanPro sold at a company in the USA? I looked at the Zemlin products. Any relation to you? I like the different size sun shades/Hoods for fitting the lens with attached Z9 in my case as I move to different locations.

Two pieces of the Lenscoat for my 180-400 arrived torn and I didn't use the bits with the impossible to access through 'windows.' I love the idea of the Moss Oaks stuff but am literally so incompetent I fear I'd never get them cut right LOL I recall a similar threat a couple of years ago but my deep lack of skill prevented me from ordering then :) Think I'll order enough winter white for my 500 pf and see how that goes; won't need any camo for my new 600 f4 right away, as that won't be arriving until the winter of 2025 :ROFLMAO: Gonna have a deeper look at the OPG stuff with the idea of replacing the Lenscoat cover on my 180-400. Good discussion, this -- thanks!

FYI, I tried ordering coats for two lenses from OPG and evidently Royal Mail is at least partially on strike and they can't ship things internationally right now, so they refunded my payment. Bummer.

My last two covers have been from this site. Love em! The best as far as I am concerned and if I remember correctly fairly priced. Covers from this company and the pinch caps from Karl (zemlinphoto.com) will be the first thing I order when I get a new or new to me lens. Both are excellent products!

I use the Alphagvard skins - they are a film that adheres to the lens or camera. Doesn't wiggle around, VERY protective, and very cool color/pattern choices. It takes patience and perseverance to place the film - especially on cameras, as there are many little perfectly-fitting cut-outs to apply - but it's well worth it, imo.

Mine, other than the two pieces that weren't torn upon arrival and thus thrown out, are holding up well.
I bought a used prime recently that had a tattered lenscoat skin on it. The edges were all frayed. None that I ever purchased new did this though. I wonder if it's due to handling or manufacturing defects.

I bought a used prime recently that had a tattered lenscoat skin on it. The edges were all frayed. None that I ever purchased new did this though. I wonder if it's due to handling or manufacturing defects.
I've never had any problems with lenscoat. How are they falling apart, are people constantly taking theirs off?
For me, after about a year, the edges became frayed and threadbare. Then the neoprene started to rot and tear leaving only the fabric holding the piece together. Never took them off and on; never fussed with them; they just decayed and became useless. And I found the plastic window over the lens buttons to be all but useless except for being able to see the position of the switches. Based on discussion and the experience of others on this discussion I purchased a Roland Pro lens cover for my 200-500 lens. It is an order of magnitude better than LensCoat in it's construction and functionality. Also a tad less expensive. My new standard for lens covers.

FWIW, I've been using vinyl Camo Rolls from Mossy Oaks Graphics. They're inexpensive, light, come in a variety of patterns, are easy to apply and easy to remove without leaving residue. They're not neoprene, just vinyl but that's plenty to protect from scrapes and they don't trap moisture which can be an advantage:

I'm really late to this party, but I have a question. In your photo it's apparent that you covered the textured focus ring. How well does the material bond to the textured area(s) and is there any sign that the voids beneath the material gather gunk or water or cause it to peel off ?

Last edited:
My last two covers have been from this site. Love em! The best as far as I am concerned and if I remember correctly fairly priced. Covers from this company and the pinch caps from Karl (zemlinphoto.com) will be the first thing I order when I get a new or new to me lens. Both are excellent products!

I bought a bag hide off these people. Good deal imo.

I used lenscoat for years, and it always frayed and looked ratty after a year or so.
Now, I'm using the Lifeguard lens skins from https://alphagvrd.com/
Lots of cool choices, not a fabric so doesn't catch on things, and easily removed/replaced if desired.
I have them on every lens, and the most-used 500mm has lasted thru 3 Africa trips and rough use.
It takes patience to attach all the little tiny sections, but it's well worth it.
They have custom laser-cut skins for almost every old and new lens.

Last edited:
So, my second lens cover in two years (LensCoat brand) has disintegrated. Which is kind of annoying given how much they cost. I guess I could go around with bare naked lens but I like the camo pattern and having the lens barrel protected from bumps and scrapes. So, are you all aware of alternative brands of lens covers that are not neoprene based (that is what keeps rotting into a pile of goo) and does a decent job of protecting a lens and helping blend into the environment? I'm looking for something that fits the nikon 200-500 lens. Thanks
In an emergency having been without a lens hood cover etc and in the rain or high mist, i have used the large thin Garbage bin liner with a couple of rubber bands LOL, did the job the light green colour blended well.
My girlfriend when she goes to a concert outdoors takes a couple of these liners along, if or when needed she just tears a small hole in the top for the head, if she wants here arms out same thing, the bags are flat light compact and fit in your coat pocket, we always keep a couple in each vehicle. Handy if your on the beach or a long hike in the wilderness, they really work well.
I know its not perfect but gee its perfect if you haven't got anything else and it teams down LOL.

Only an opinion

I'm really late to this party, but I have a question. In your photo it's apparent that you covered the textured focus ring. How well does the material bond to the textured area(s) and is there any sign that the voids beneath the material gather gunk or water or cause it to peel off ?
The material stuck quite well to the textured rubber and never came loose. I actually pulled the skin off a while back when I thought about selling the 500mm PF in favor of the 180-600mm Z lens. I ended up keeping the 500mm PF and now run it without the extra skin. There was no residue or any sign of gunk or water trapped under the skin including in the textured rubber areas.

In an emergency having been without a lens hood cover etc and in the rain or high mist, i have used the large thin Garbage bin liner with a couple of rubber bands LOL, did the job the light green colour blended well.
I've used the same and I don't currently have any covers on most of my lenses. The garbage bag compresses down so small that it takes up almost no space in the backpack which is really nice and it's always worked for me in a pinch.

I've never really been a fan of the LensCoat products, at least not for lenses themselves. I like their tripod leg covers, but when I wanted to try something for my 500PF I ended up getting a Tragopan CamShield.

I think it's overall a pretty nice cover, however the extra pieces that snaps over the focus ring are too bulky for my liking and I rarely use them. I leave the silicone sections on this lens 24/7 but the middle section only goes on if I'm actually expecting problematic weather. I think my takeaway is that I'm just not a fan of anything that adds bulk to the lens. I nevertheless did try asking if Tragopan were planning to make a cover for the 800PF when I got mine, but they said they have no such plans.

20240620_002309.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I also use Mossy Oaks Graphics. Not only do they not fray or wear out, they are thin enough to be used on an externally zooming lens. All of the traditional lens covers require me to leave the extending front tube of my Canon EF 70-300L either uncovered or to remove and reposition a section of the cover every time I zoom in or out. The Mossy Oaks cover covers all parts of the lens and it zooms in and out without any problem. The cover also comes off without leaving any residue behind. It's the best choice.

My 0.02:
After being very happy with OPG's products and not so with LC's, I tried a RolandPro for one of the lenses, however, I'm not a big fan of the feel/texture of the RP coating, so I tried this (unknown to me) one instead and boy am I happy!

I wish I didn't have any covers on my other lenses to swap it for these ones. Not as thick as the OPG, it feels great when handling. Now, I'm not sure about durability, it's only a few months old (April/24).

My lenses are never subjected to "bumps and scrapes". I transport them in a lens case or a backpack and when traveling around in an area in my truck I use a pet bridge and place the camera and lens on top and this protects them from falling to the floor for any reason. In more than 50 years the only time a lens has been damaged was the one time when the camera and lens fell from a bed to the floor where we were spending a night and the lens mount broke on the camera. There was no damage to the lens.

The only lens repairs that have had to be done over the years were the result of electronic modules failing due to manufacturing defects and quality control shortcomings by Nikon. There lack of quality control shows in their abandoning the 5-year warranty on lenses and shortening it to only one year.

Back