Lens Coat alternatives...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've used these covers from outdoorphotographygear.co.uk several times now, most recently on my new 800 PF 6.3. They are similar to Lens Coat, but better. The material is slightly thicker than LC and the ends are sown with thread to prevent unraveling or splitting. The fit is good, and best of all they cost much less.

Only two downsides. They take a bit longer to ship to the US coming from the UK, and they are hit and miss responding to emails. The first time I ordered from them they responded to my questions in a day. On my most recent purchase they never did respond.

Still, great product at a good price. Better quality and lower price than Lens Coat (which I've used for years - but no more).
I like that they thought of a way to stop the edges of the covers from fraying. Attention to detail...

With the Nikon black lenses I see no need for a cover. My lenses are either in a backpack or in my hands to they do not get subjected to abuse. It is not so much the cost to repair or replace but having a lens die in the middle of a trip that has worried me. The Lenscoat on my 600mm f/4 made the lens more difficult to hold and reduced access to the controls so I ended up taking it off.

But then my 70-200mm f/2.8E and 600mm f/4E both had the autofocus motor die at about 18 months so one is always at the mercy of the design and build quality of the lens and my belief that the more expensive pro level lenses were better has proven to be wrong. Nikon told us this indirectly when they shortened the warranty on its lenses from 5 years to only 1 year.

I apply studio gaffers tape 1" to all the wear points in my lens coat lens covers -- end of the hood is the most prone to damage. Lens coat is made from neoprene and needs to dry out otherwise it, like scuba diving suits? Rot away. I am fairly sure the FAQ ON Lenscoat web site says this
And yet one more use for gaffers tape. That stuff is amazing

With the Nikon black lenses I see no need for a cover. My lenses are either in a backpack or in my hands to they do not get subjected to abuse. It is not so much the cost to repair or replace but having a lens die in the middle of a trip that has worried me. The Lenscoat on my 600mm f/4 made the lens more difficult to hold and reduced access to the controls so I ended up taking it off.

But then my 70-200mm f/2.8E and 600mm f/4E both had the autofocus motor die at about 18 months so one is always at the mercy of the design and build quality of the lens and my belief that the more expensive pro level lenses were better has proven to be wrong. Nikon told us this indirectly when they shortened the warranty on its lenses from 5 years to only 1 year.
That (and the price point) was one of my main issues with Lens Coat product...reduced or impossible access to lens buttons and switches

You order the length you want at the standard widths, no need to order an entire roll and then yes you cut then to fit. I found it pretty easy to cover several of my lenses. Tapers like the tapered bell on some super telephoto lenses takes a bit more time but it isn't hard. They sell it in 24" and 48" widths and you buy it by the foot at that width.

Here's my 500mm PF wrapped up in some of that Mossy Oaks Graphics vinyl:

View attachment 50246
Looks great

My last two covers have been from this site. Love em! The best as far as I am concerned and if I remember correctly fairly priced. Covers from this company and the pinch caps from Karl (zemlinphoto.com) will be the first thing I order when I get a new or new to me lens. Both are excellent products!

I totally agree. I started using them after I had a warranty issue with LensCoat. When I bought my Nikkor Z 100-400, I asked OPG if they were planning on building a cover. They did and shipped me one around 2 months later. They have excellent customer service and prices are below LensCoat with better quality. I own four currently.

Last edited:
I have not had any problems, other than the price, of lens coat products. Occastionally after years of use, some threads may come loose

Do you know if the rolls of tape are the same material? Description sounds like it's the same but doesn't say so specifically.
I’ve only bought the 24” material but I’m very certain it’s all the same material as folks wrap big and small thing’s including trucks and ATVs with this stuff and I’m sure they wouldn’t want the texture or finish to change where the wide and small rolls meet.

You order the length you want at the standard widths, no need to order an entire roll and then yes you cut then to fit. I found it pretty easy to cover several of my lenses. Tapers like the tapered bell on some super telephoto lenses takes a bit more time but it isn't hard. They sell it in 24" and 48" widths and you buy it by the foot at that width.

Here's my 500mm PF wrapped up in some of that Mossy Oaks Graphics vinyl:

View attachment 50246
Looks great. Seems like a few pieces "shrink". Is that true or just an illusion?

My last two covers have been from this site. Love em! The best as far as I am concerned and if I remember correctly fairly priced. Covers from this company and the pinch caps from Karl (zemlinphoto.com) will be the first thing I order when I get a new or new to me lens. Both are excellent products!

I second also the recommendation for outdoorphotographygear.co.uk....I've ordered many lens coats, maybe a dozen or more from them - from my current Olympus 40-150, 150-400 through to Nikon 600 f4. They are all fantastic and strike a balance between protection and usability and not being too thick around the lens barrel. They are well made and the customer service is stellar, fast dispatch and friendly replies too. I have no connection with them, I just think they are one of those great small companies filling a need for good quality and at a price substantially lower than Lenscoat (if I remember correctly). Often they are around 30 to 40UKP which is excellent value in my book.

I think these are better quality (double stitched and rubber backed) and cheaper. And David is a realy nice guy. I had one for my 500pf and now 1 for my 400. I can realy recommend these.

View attachment 50269
Rubber backed would really help with the slippy sliddy issues I have experienced with Rolan-Pro. And unlike the vinyl skins I use from https://alphagvrd.com/pages/skin-gallery, it would provide some protection against bumps. The skins do a fine job of protecting against niks or scratches while maintaining function. This is especially true for cameras. And I like the way they look. Another advantage is these skins are specific and cut ready to apply for each camera and lens...but more expensive than the Mossy Oaks option. I chose black to cover the white of the Sony lens.

For a bigger lens (600mm) I think some protection against bumps would be good. Do these stay in place?

Last edited:
FWIW, I've been using vinyl Camo Rolls from Mossy Oaks Graphics. They're inexpensive, light, come in a variety of patterns, are easy to apply and easy to remove without leaving residue. They're not neoprene, just vinyl but that's plenty to protect from scrapes and they don't trap moisture which can be an advantage:

I'm really glad to hear an actual field report that those Mossy Oak graphics are easy to remove! I bought a couple rolls to do my 500PF but I've been nervous about it leaving nasty residue, so haven't cut and applied them yet. I think I can bump that project up my list now, so thank you!

Hi all, an update on my quest for a better lens covering. First, thanks to everyone who weighed in on this to offer suggestions, insights and critical comments. Very much appreciated! I ended up purchasing a RolandPro lens cover. It is a step up in terms of craftsmanship, fit and finish to the LensCoat brand I had been using previously. Very well put together, all pieces rubber backed and an excellent fit on the lens. It wasn't any less expensive than a LensCoat brand but you get much more for your money. I put it on my 200-500 last night and am now ready to head out to the desert for a week of, what I hope to be, awesome photo opportunities.

Hi all, an update on my quest for a better lens covering. First, thanks to everyone who weighed in on this to offer suggestions, insights and critical comments. Very much appreciated! I ended up purchasing a RolandPro lens cover. It is a step up in terms of craftsmanship, fit and finish to the LensCoat brand I had been using previously. Very well put together, all pieces rubber backed and an excellent fit on the lens. It wasn't any less expensive than a LensCoat brand but you get much more for your money. I put it on my 200-500 last night and am now ready to head out to the desert for a week of, what I hope to be, awesome photo opportunities.
Congrats! I love my Rolanpro cover on my 200-500.

So, my second lens cover in two years (LensCoat brand) has disintegrated. Which is kind of annoying given how much they cost. I guess I could go around with bare naked lens but I like the camo pattern and having the lens barrel protected from bumps and scrapes. So, are you all aware of alternative brands of lens covers that are not neoprene based (that is what keeps rotting into a pile of goo) and does a decent job of protecting a lens and helping blend into the environment? I'm looking for something that fits the nikon 200-500 lens. Thanks
I have the Rolanpro on my 500 PF and love it, when I still had the 200-500 Nikon zoom lens I put the lens coat cover on it and then took it back off because I just did not like it.

It looks like I'm pretty late to this discussion. Several posters have mentioned Mossy Oaks Graphics vinyl covers but there is one aspect of this material that I haven't seen mentioned (maybe I overlooked it?).

If you have a zoom lens with a section that moves in and out as it zooms, most lens covers cannot cover that section effectively since its length varies as the lens is used and they are too thick to slip under the other sections. The best they can do is give you an auxiliary piece to cover that section when the lens is fully extended but that must be removed before changing the FL of the lens. Mossy Oaks vinyl is thin enough that the moving section can be permanently covered and still work. I have it on my Canon EF 70-300L and it works well.

Additionally, it does not tear, shred, or wear in other ways. I have not tried to remove it, but the company says it will not leave a residue and others who have used it say that is true. I'm a vote for Mossy Oaks.

So, my second lens cover in two years (LensCoat brand) has disintegrated. Which is kind of annoying given how much they cost. I guess I could go around with bare naked lens but I like the camo pattern and having the lens barrel protected from bumps and scrapes. So, are you all aware of alternative brands of lens covers that are not neoprene based (that is what keeps rotting into a pile of goo) and does a decent job of protecting a lens and helping blend into the environment? I'm looking for something that fits the nikon 200-500 lens. Thanks
I too have switched to the Rolanpro brand and love it. I have covers for my Nikon 200-500mm and 500mm PF lenses. They are well made with finished edges that don't fray. So far so good :)

It looks like I'm pretty late to this discussion. Several posters have mentioned Mossy Oaks Graphics vinyl covers but there is one aspect of this material that I haven't seen mentioned (maybe I overlooked it?).

If you have a zoom lens with a section that moves in and out as it zooms, most lens covers cannot cover that section effectively since its length varies as the lens is used and they are too thick to slip under the other sections. The best they can do is give you an auxiliary piece to cover that section when the lens is fully extended but that must be removed before changing the FL of the lens. Mossy Oaks vinyl is thin enough that the moving section can be permanently covered and still work. I have it on my Canon EF 70-300L and it works well.

Additionally, it does not tear, shred, or wear in other ways. I have not tried to remove it, but the company says it will not leave a residue and others who have used it say that is true. I'm a vote for Mossy Oaks.
I also tried the Mossy Oak vinyl cover on the 200-500 lens, I removed it before I sold it because I could not get it on very straight. I can attest to the fact that it left no residue when I removed it, for what ever that is worth.

Last edited:
Back