Loctite

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Does it matter the 'screw' size when it comes to using loctite? I thought I used blue for my RRS clamps on my tripod and gimball, and on my 180-400 replacement foot, but was about to order some and I noticed it's for 1/4 inch (on the minimum end) screws...?

Way in the weeds, I know, sorry. Pretty sure it was a Steve video that I learned about using the stuff but my feeble search talents turned up nothing.

And oh, I'm going to use it on my Kirk foot for my 600 TC

Thanks.

I have used blue loctite for decades don’t recall having a problem. In fact I used it for my Kirk foot on my 600 TC. There is another option I have used in the past on eye glasses and really small screws with success. That is clear finger nail polish. It will keep screws from coming loose, yet easy to remove…

Does it matter the 'screw' size when it comes to using loctite? I thought I used blue for my RRS clamps on my tripod and gimball, and on my 180-400 replacement foot, but was about to order some and I noticed it's for 1/4 inch (on the minimum end) screws...?

Way in the weeds, I know, sorry. Pretty sure it was a Steve video that I learned about using the stuff but my feeble search talents turned up nothing.

And oh, I'm going to use it on my Kirk foot for my 600 TC

Thanks.
I've used Blue Loctite 242 on very small fasteners in commercial electronics applications and have worked for many companies that use it on very small screws down well below 1/4 inch as in m2 and m3 fasteners which are quite small.

Looking at product info they say 'Recommended for 6mm to 19mm fasteners' but I see no fastener size limitations on the actual data sheet.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to use Loctite 242 Blue on a lens foot and have used it on stuff like that all the time. I would recommend that you only need a tiny drop and don't need to coat the fastener with it.

As a low strength thread locker, use the Loctite 242. I wouldn’t worry about the size too much. You can always use a smaller amount but most people over-use it anyway. All Loctite grades respond to a bit of heat if they are proving a little difficult to remove. Simply warming a small screw with the tip of a soldering iron is often enough.
One rider though, make sure that the heads of the fasteners are in good condition before you Loctite them otherwise they will be even harder to remove as your screwdriver, hex key etc won’t be able to apply the torque normally available from the tool.

Also whatever you do make sure that when working on cameras and accessories that you have the correct tools to tighten and loosen screws/bolts etc.
Many screws used in cameras/lenses are JIS type not Phillips type see here for more information on the many screw types.

Also whatever you do make sure that when working on cameras and accessories that you have the correct tools to tighten and loosen screws/bolts etc.
Many screws used in cameras/lenses are JIS type not Phillips type see here for more information on the many screw types.
Yes, not many know about JIS......

Threads won’t matter. If you must use Loctite use 222 (weaker) not 242 or 248, commonly referred to as Loctite Blue.
Threads, size in particular, do matter. Small fasteners typically have correspondingly small tools with limited engagement to the fastener. This means that there is limits to how much torque can be applied. Larger fasteners have larger heads, better tool engagement and use more robust tools that can impart greater torque. So that then it follows that for small thread, Loctite 222 (the purple one) is most suitable. Loctite 242 is larger threads (6-19mm as a rough guide) and provides a stronger bond but still permits disassembly with relative expanse. There is no hard, fast rules, just common sense around the application. i.e. think about what you’re doing first.

Threads, size in particular, do matter. Small fasteners typically have correspondingly small tools with limited engagement to the fastener. This means that there is limits to how much torque can be applied. Larger fasteners have larger heads, better tool engagement and use more robust tools that can impart greater torque. So that then it follows that for small thread, Loctite 222 (the purple one) is most suitable. Loctite 242 is larger threads (6-19mm as a rough guide) and provides a stronger bond but still permits disassembly with relative expanse. There is no hard, fast rules, just common sense around the application. i.e. think about what you’re doing first.
Yes.
I went to Loctite and generated this comparison (evidently the old 242 and 262 were replaced with 243 and 263). Of particular interest is the Breakaway torque.
On smaller hardware I've had to use heat even with 242...(If you're going to use 242 on M10 (3/8") or smaller don't fill the threads, a very small amount does the trick).

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 7.39.48 AM.png

I've used Blue Loctite 242 on very small fasteners in commercial electronics applications and have worked for many companies that use it on very small screws down well below 1/4 inch as in m2 and m3 fasteners which are quite small.

Looking at product info they say 'Recommended for 6mm to 19mm fasteners' but I see no fastener size limitations on the actual data sheet.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to use Loctite 242 Blue on a lens foot and have used it on stuff like that all the time. I would recommend that you only need a tiny drop and don't need to coat the fastener with it.
Thank you, sir. I was pretty sure it was blue I used previously but the sizing thing had me question it.

I have used blue loctite for decades don’t recall having a problem. In fact I used it for my Kirk foot on my 600 TC. There is another option I have used in the past on eye glasses and really small screws with success. That is clear finger nail polish. It will keep screws from coming loose, yet easy to remove…
Thanks.

Nicely (for this very much NOT a handy person) the Kirk foot comes with the right tool for the job!

As a low strength thread locker, use the Loctite 242. I wouldn’t worry about the size too much. You can always use a smaller amount but most people over-use it anyway. All Loctite grades respond to a bit of heat if they are proving a little difficult to remove. Simply warming a small screw with the tip of a soldering iron is often enough.
One rider though, make sure that the heads of the fasteners are in good condition before you Loctite them otherwise they will be even harder to remove as your screwdriver, hex key etc won’t be able to apply the torque normally available from the tool.
Thanks.

Yes.
I went to Loctite and generated this comparison (evidently the old 242 and 262 were replaced with 243 and 263). Of particular interest is the Breakaway torque.
On smaller hardware I've had to use heat even with 242...(If you're going to use 242 on M10 (3/8") or smaller don't fill the threads, a very small amount does the trick).

View attachment 76100
There's always an engineer in the room to go to the specs sheet! :) Thanks!

Quite right, size of screw will make a difference. My Bad.

If you don't have clean parts, Loctite is less effective. Oil will ruin the bond. I use Chemtool B12 (auto parts) first if there a question of cleanliness.

You can use a smaller amount to control the retention.

If you don't have clean parts, Loctite is less effective. Oil will ruin the bond. I use Chemtool B12 (auto parts) first if there a question of cleanliness.

You can use a smaller amount to control the retention.
It won't ruin it but it may weaken it. The chart I posted above shows Oil tolerant for 243 and 263.

Many choices at McMaster Carr. The link shows the different use cases for each threadlocker product.

Last edited:
Back