Long Macro Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Why have all camera manufactures pretty much abandoned any type of long macro lens offering? This is something that puzzles me and perhaps there's not a big enough market. Having said that, I would gladly pay a premium price for a lens in the 150-300mm range. I had the Nikon 200mm f/4 for several years and absolutely loved that lens. After switching to mirrorless the lens became a Manual focus lens which was fine most of the time. I truly love my 90mm Sony macro lens but wish at times there were a longer offering, even third party. I am assuming there aren't many folks out there that loves macro photography as much as I or there would be more selection. I am all but certain if the big three would produce such a lens, it would sell quite well. I am hoping a company like Sigma or Tamron will beat the manufactures to this sooner than later.

I would also like to see a modern, mirrorless successor to the 200mm Micro Nikkor, but I suspect that the market is not that big. And from some of the third party macros I have seen released, I suspect that getting to 2:1 and beyond is more of a selling feature than longer focal length.

--Ken
I would love to see a 1:1 250mm lens. I would gladly pay $1500-$2000 without any hesitation.

I'll third this and for the same reasons as MikeJ. I still have my 200mm Micro Nikkor, awesome lens even though it's manual focus. Focus peaking helps lots with getting sharp images where I want them. Would love a AF focus model at 200mm!

I second this, Steven! Having just gone mirrorless, I still have my 200mm Micro Nikkor and still use it, I don't see myself parting with it unless Nikon, Sigma or Tamron release a mirrorless equivalent.
It is a fabulous lens that honestly is built better than any lens I have ever seen or owned. I so regret selling that lens!

I'll third this and for the same reasons as MikeJ. I still have my 200mm Micro Nikkor, awesome lens even though it's manual focus. Focus peaking helps lots with getting sharp images where I want them. Would love a AF focus model at 200mm!
I really think if they'd build one that it would certainly sell.

I doubt we'll see a macro lens >105mm with native Z mount anytime soon.
I use a 2nd hand 180mm Sigma f2.8 on my Z6. I had to send it to Sigma for a free of charge firmware update to make the AF work with my Z6 which I use for my "Macro" work.
I'm mostly doing fungi - so not really small critters or 1:1 but love the lens for how it renders.
https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/forest-magic.12477/

Last edited:
I would be happy with 150 or up as long as it was 1:1 and had a tripod collar. I think Nikon will eventually address this market but low on their priority list.

I would be happy with 150 or up as long as it was 1:1 and had a tripod collar. I think Nikon will eventually address this market but low on their priority list.
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, but I suspect they feel that since the 105mm is doing yeoman's duty in the line-up and is such a great performer, that the need to market a longer lens probably does not justify the R&D and production costs. I hope I am wrong.

--Ken

I use a 2nd hand 180mm Sigma f2.8 on my Z6. I had to send it to Sigma for a free of charge firmware update to make the AF work with my Z6 which I use for my "Macro" work.
I'm mostly doing fungi - so not really small critters or 1:1 but love the lens for how it renders.
https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/forest-magic.12477/
I have that lens, works just fine with my Z7 and my Z8 with the adapter. Never had a firmware update.

Why have all camera manufactures pretty much abandoned any type of long macro lens offering? This is something that puzzles me and perhaps there's not a big enough market. Having said that, I would gladly pay a premium price for a lens in the 150-300mm range. I had the Nikon 200mm f/4 for several years and absolutely loved that lens. After switching to mirrorless the lens became a Manual focus lens which was fine most of the time. I truly love my 90mm Sony macro lens but wish at times there were a longer offering, even third party. I am assuming there aren't many folks out there that loves macro photography as much as I or there would be more selection. I am all but certain if the big three would produce such a lens, it would sell quite well. I am hoping a company like Sigma or Tamron will beat the manufactures to this sooner than later.

There is another thread regarding the Nikkor 200mm lens which may have some additional info.

I use a 2nd hand 180mm Sigma f2.8 on my Z6.
180mm from Sigma are quite big and heavy lens. Ich think 200/4 Micro Nikkor as well. Perhaps, becasue of that reason such lens will not be comming soon for Z-mount. I mean because the design of 180-200 macro will produce a big heavy lens... who knows.
I have also a second-hand Sigma but 150mm, it is smaller (a lady-lens 😅 ) but has the same rendering as 180mm. By the way, Markus, do you have some flick account? Your fungi are stunning!

180mm from Sigma are quite big and heavy lens. Ich think 200/4 Micro Nikkor as well. Perhaps, becasue of that reason such lens will not be comming soon for Z-mount. I mean because the design of 180-200 macro will produce a big heavy lens... who knows.
I have also a second-hand Sigma but 150mm, it is smaller (a lady-lens 😅 ) but has the same rendering as 180mm. By the way, Markus, do you have some flick account? Your fungi are stunning!
Hi Elena,
your're absoluely right the 180mm/2.8 is a ratherheavy lens to take around for macro work but still manageable. i think the Sigma Macro lenses were designed 10+ years ago, meanwhile lens technique has progressed a lot so I'm sure they could do something with the same specs but much lighter. Just have a look whta was done with the 600 or 400TC. But let's see...till then I use my Sigma :).
I do have a flickr account - My Flickr account
Happy to connect there if you have one as well :)

It's certainly not 1:1 but the 100-400, with its outstanding minimum focusing distance, satisfies my occasional desire for 'near macro' shots. Especially in the 200mm - 300mm range. I can absolutely see why this range would be popular with true macro shooters. A focus-stacked shot yesterday with the 100-400 at f4.5
2023-06-08 16-44-10 (B,R8,S4).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back