Martial eagle with prey, Botswana

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Udall1973

Marketplace
Martial eagle, Polemaetus bellicosus, the largest bird of prey in Africa. Preys on small antelope, monkeys, birds, using it's powerful long legs and 7' wingspan. It's all business. Shots taken with Sony a1 200-600mm G OSS ISO (auto) 400-500 1600sec f/8 580mm handheld.
Martial eagle with prey in flight 10292021.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Martial eagle with prey in flight 10292021 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Andrew, I'm sure you'll enjoy this series of mating Martial Eagles captured by my friend, John Bryant. He is a very accomplished photographer and these are epic.
Awesome series, thank you for suggesting. What a tremendous subject for us nature photographers and this raptor was one of the reasons I went to Botswana.

Regards, Andrew

Excellent perspective Udal, looks like this is a de-feathered Guinea Fowl, (I have many similar in my files), will post one here later, these guys are my favourite African raptor. (y)

Have seen them take baby Warthog, Egyptian Geese, Guinea Fowl (their favourite/preferred) and Impala babies!

Excellent perspective Udal, looks like this is a de-feathered Guinea Fowl, (I have many similar in my files), will post one here later, these guys are my favourite African raptor. (y)

Have seen them take baby Warthog, Egyptian Geese, Guinea Fowl (their favourite/preferred) and Impala babies!
Spot on. Frankolin according to my guide. He ate it like a light snack. Awesome experience, one of the highlights of my trip to Botswana! Are you from SA? What a rush to see the incredible wildlife!

Regards, Andrew

Back