My Z9 Setup Guide Is Here!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It's likely because you have the camera set to Monitor Only with the little button on the side of the viewfinder. (I actually recommend turning those options off as you'll see in a few pages :) )
Steve , it is set to viewfinder priority/automatic switch . Ivan Rothman is correct. This gets activated when the viewfinder senses the eye and I was able to change. 👍

Steve , it is set to viewfinder priority/automatic switch . Ivan Rothman is correct. This gets activated when the viewfinder senses the eye and I was able to change. 👍
It's funny, it actually depends. I had mine on Automatically Switch and the menu was active, even with my eye away from the viewfinder. Lots of layers LOL!

The truth is, I just don't do much video and I don't know a lot about it. My wife does the video work but she's just a basic shooter. When I write books, I try to do them on things I'm fairly knowledgable about to avoid a situation like you had with the $100 book - I don't want someone buying something from me that isn't useful, insightful, and accurate. My skill set with video isn't even close on any of those three, at least not to a point where I'd publish a book about it.

In addition - and I know this is a little ironic - my field time is somewhat limited. I spent most of my time working on books or videos. When I am in the field, I enjoy shooting stills and trying to improve my images. I'd be sick if I missed a great still opportunity because I was shooting video. At least that's how I feel at the moment. In time, I may eventually start to enjoy video (I do play with it from time to time), but for now I'm a stills guy I guess :)
I know how you feel Steve & I perfectly understand it .
The biggest challenge for a photographer is to know when to shoot a video vs stilss ( with cameras like A 1 & Z9 in hand)
I had the same dilemma when I am alone ( my wife does the videos)
Now days when I am alone I first take stills & then go for video
Actually wild life video shooting is more complicated than the stills & as of now there is no one place where one can find suitable material to learn
I have made some progress & presently use Sony 1 with Cunetone profile . Once I master it I will try it out with Z9
While basic videos are simple to take one does need to use colour profiles to make the best use of what these flagships offer
I am sure you will get into video soon & my post was to get you interested in it & I am sure you will take the bait soon

I know how you feel Steve & I perfectly understand it .
The biggest challenge for a photographer is to know when to shoot a video vs stilss ( with cameras like A 1 & Z9 in hand)
I had the same dilemma when I am alone ( my wife does the videos)
Now days when I am alone I first take stills & then go for video
Actually wild life video shooting is more complicated than the stills & as of now there is no one place where one can find suitable material to learn
I have made some progress & presently use Sony 1 with Cunetone profile . Once I master it I will try it out with Z9
While basic videos are simple to take one does need to use colour profiles to make the best use of what these flagships offer
I am sure you will get into video soon & my post was to get you interested in it & I am sure you will take the bait soon
Mark Smith has a video course on shooting video with the A1. l have a Z9, so I have not bought the course. But Mark’s own videos are spectacular. I did a spoonbill workshop with him earlier this year in Florida and he also gave me some good advice on video (he has a Z9 too). So I’d expect the video course to be good. I’m going to suggest that Mark do a Z9 course. It’s also possible that I could learn a lot from his A1 course. I have no financial connection or interest in this. But I have also been looking to learn more about video.

He has a couple of websites, so here’s a link.

Mark Smith has a video course on shooting video with the A1. l have a Z9, so I have not bought the course. But Mark’s own videos are spectacular. I did a spoonbill workshop with him earlier this year in Florida and he also gave me some good advice on video (he has a Z9 too). So I’d expect the video course to be good. I’m going to suggest that Mark do a Z9 course. It’s also possible that I could learn a lot from his A1 course. I have no financial connection or interest in this. But I have also been looking to learn more about video.

He has a couple of websites, so here’s a link.

I had bought Mark smith's A1 vidoe course few weeks ago & found it to be wanting on many issues.Friddman's book on A1 (He has dedicated a full chapter to vidoe ) is a much better staring point

This is killing me! I've downloaded the book. BUT......a week ago I invited new neighbors to dinner tomorrow night. So I'm cleaning house, grocery shopping and cooking. Grrrrr!

I WANT to be reading Steve's eBook with my camera in my hand! 😒

Steve,
I placed a comment/correction somewhere on the site; I guess I should have put it here. I don't have the note but it dealt with the Silent Mode and the sounds the Z9 can make. I think it dealt with your Page 48 and Nikons Page 735. I've always liked your style of presenting potentially complex instructions in a manner that is easily understrood. This manual is right up there with your best work.

Is there a similar wildlife set up guide for video for Z9?
From what I know there is no set up guide yet.
How ever Hagans book ‘Complete guide to Z9 ‘ can be a good starting point for video with Z9
For making the best use of the video features of Z9 ( or any other camera with similar features) one need to understand picture profiles well , shoot on full manual & learn video post processing & most important practice , practice, practice !

Steve…this might already be in there and I didn’t get to it yet…but if not you should consider it for the typo fixing rev you’re already probably working on. An appendix or table listing all of the settings you mention you use in the book would be nice…that way we can compare it to what we already have more easily. My setup largely mirrors Hudson Henry’s so far…but I’m sure I will pick up tips from the book and an easy comparison to what we already have would be great.

Back