My Z9 Setup Guide Is Here!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve…this might already be in there and I didn’t get to it yet…but if not you should consider it for the typo fixing rev you’re already probably working on. An appendix or table listing all of the settings you mention you use in the book would be nice…that way we can compare it to what we already have more easily. My setup largely mirrors Hudson Henry’s so far…but I’m sure I will pick up tips from the book and an easy comparison to what we already have would be great.
It's at the back of the book :)

As I read the guide, I realize that i will need to back and work through the guide w camera in hand. Initial read is great for getting the pictures and ideas but there are a lot details and settings

Not that I know of - I don't have one as I'm not very knowledgeable with video.
Steve, I don't see much in you mirrorless books on custom shooting banks - it would be great if you could expand on these perhaps in an update of the Z9 Setup up guide to make up for the lack of C1, C2, C3 type buttons on the Z9 and current firmware limitations of only single recall shooting function per shooting bank. Thanks

Steve, I don't see much in you mirrorless books on custom shooting banks - it would be great if you could expand on these perhaps in an update of the Z9 Setup up guide to make up for the lack of C1, C2, C3 type buttons on the Z9 and current firmware limitations of only single recall shooting function per shooting bank. Thanks
I've thought about that setup, but it's so hacky and cumbersome. While you can set a different RSF for each CS bank, you have to first switch to that CS bank - and you have to do it with either the menu or "I" menu - no button options are available. Once switched you can use the RSF programmed for that button.

However, I think most people using the RSF functions want them at the push of a button, not after bouncing around in the menus. I think menu diving probably defeats the purpose of the setting for most people since in many cases you can probably make the changes you want just as fast using other methods at that point.

I've thought about that setup, but it's so hacky and cumbersome. While you can set a different RSF for each CS bank, you have to first switch to that CS bank - and you have to do it with either the menu or "I" menu - no button options are available. Once switched you can use the RSF programmed for that button.

However, I think most people using the RSF functions want them at the push of a button, not after bouncing around in the menus. I think menu diving probably defeats the purpose of the setting for most people since in many cases you can probably make the changes you want just as fast using other methods at that point.
Actually, I'm glad you didn't spend more time on the bank setup in your guide. I spent a long time learning custom banks and shooting banks and tend to agree that they are cumbersome. I simply don't use them any longer. A separate button dedicated tp Subject Detection On/Off would be nice and I know I could do it with RSF but I like to use my one RSF button push to go to Single Point.

I expected to see more on BBAF with respect to the Z9. IMHO BBAF is more difficult with the Z9 than with other cameras and in my case, forced me into using shutter button AF again. Gloves in the winter make this even more difficult because the multi-controller (joystick) is so prominent and wearing gloves in the winter even worse.

Actually, I'm glad you didn't spend more time on the bank setup in your guide. I spent a long time learning custom banks and shooting banks and tend to agree that they are cumbersome. I simply don't use them any longer. A separate button dedicated tp Subject Detection On/Off would be nice and I know I could do it with RSF but I like to use my one RSF button push to go to Single Point.

I expected to see more on BBAF with respect to the Z9. IMHO BBAF is more difficult with the Z9 than with other cameras and in my case, forced me into using shutter button AF again. Gloves in the winter make this even more difficult because the multi-controller (joystick) is so prominent and wearing gloves in the winter even worse.
Why do you think BBAF is more difficult with the Z9? Just because of the glove thing or????

Why do you think BBAF is more difficult with the Z9? Just because of the glove thing or????
Gloves make it worse but I think it's the placement of the multi-controller (joystick) which is the biggest problem for me. I'm always inadvertently moving the focus points with it and if I lock it with the Control Lock, then inadvertently touch it, I get that Black Screen saying "Focus Points are Locked" which is just as off-putting as moving the focus points. I have reached Nikon through a Q&A session about the possibility of disabling that message and they said it would be too difficult for people to figure out why they couldn't move the focus points.

Thanks Steve - I've assigned Fn4 + back dial to quickly change the Bank option - problem is more the fading memory to know what has been set up in which bank 🤣🙈

Thanks Steve - I've assigned Fn4 + back dial to quickly change the Bank option - problem is more the fading memory to know what has been set up in which bank 🤣🙈
But that doesn't solve the single option RSF problem. RSF is through the custom settings bank and you can't assign a custom setting bank to Fn4; only a photo shooting banks. Changing photo shooting banks doesn't affect RSF as far as I can tell since RSF is set via the Custom Settings menu. Photo Shooting Banks only affect the items in the Photo Shooting menu.

One thing you could do though is add your Custom Settings Banks to the top of My menu and than use Fn4 to access the top item in My menu. Again, not elegant, but works-able. Plus, in that configuration, you can see any names you assign to the banks. The biggest issue, at least for me though, is that when I need an RSF function, I generally want it instantly and any extra menu diving slows me down too much.

The RSF constraint is big hassle!

I find Fn4 ideal to access MyMenu quickly. I'm trying similar bank switching, but scrolling with the Qual button. However this is restricting to Shooting Banks, which might explain why Nikon engineers have 3 Autofocus Items in the Photomenu, and notably the AF Modes to setup the custom-Wide-(C1 and C2) - not as items in Custom :a

I tumbled to this by setting Fn1 and Fn2 to C1 and C2, respectively. C1 is always 1x1, but switching Bank A <> D changes C2 between 5x3 and 19x3. I find this change between S-Banks is fairly quick with C,f6 = On and P,Extended Banks = On, to change one's exposure setup to presets as well. [About 2 months ago, I started relying on the 1x1 as C1 with Subject-detection toggle on RSF on Fn3 - it's quite slick to use in practice, but another different RSF option will be most useful, so RSF can be useful]

One wonders if a better solution might involve being able to scroll the Custom and Shooting Banks with the Front and Rear dials respectively, or have the choice to link 2 banks to switch via Press&scroll, or simply a Fn button.

Last edited:
The RSF constraint is big hassle!

I find Fn4 ideal to access MyMenu quickly. I'm trying similar bank switching, but scrolling with the Qual button. However this is restricting to Shooting Banks, which might explain why Nikon engineers have 3 Autofocus Items in the Photomenu, and notably the AF Modes to setup the custom-Wide-(C1 and C2) - not as items in Custom :a

I tumbled to this by setting Fn1 and Fn2 to C1 and C2, respectively. C1 is always 1x1, but switching Bank A <> D changes C2 between 5x3 and 19x3. I find this change between S-Banks is fairly quick with C,f6 = On and P,Extended Banks = On, to change one's exposure setup to presets as well. [About 2 months ago, I started relying on the 1x1 as C1 with Subject-detection toggle on RSF on Fn3 - it's quite slick to use in practice, but another different RSF option will be most useful]

One wonders if a better solution might involve being able to scroll the Custom and Shooting Banks with the Front and Rear dials respectively, or have the choice to link 2 banks to switch via Press&scroll, or simply a Fn button.
IMO, the solution is what I sent to Nikon months ago: allow independent RSF functions on each button, like they do with AF areas. Or, have RSF on a separate menu where you can configure several individually (like, A, B, and C) and then you simply choose the RSF "bank" you want on a button. Sony figured out it and allows up to three RSFs.

Like you say, currently it's a big hassle and cripples what's potentially the most powerful option on the Z9!

Bought the book thinking it would be useful to have when I decided to get a Z9, started reading it then realised I really needed to read it with a Z9 in hand 🙄.
Checked availability at dealers and no stock except for one that had a cancelled order, and it is now in my Post Office Box, but I don't get back home until Saturday so I can't pick it up until Monday.:(
You could say I am very much looking forward to it.:D
Now to worry about which lenses to choose.:unsure:

Thank you for a great book on the set up. It really was worth purchasing. As you keep saying, it is a guideline - we are all different. Apparently me more so than others :D

For one - my fingers are too short - and I can't access all the Fn buttons - imagine that. I mean really :rolleyes:

Shooting /custom banks etc - perhaps one day you add that to the book. Right now I don't even want to see them

This is a trial and error camera. Don't forget to save your settings!

The upside is - the more you battle - the better you remember where to find what and you take control and responsibility for your own set-up.

Thank you for a great book on the set up. It really was worth purchasing. As you keep saying, it is a guideline - we are all different. Apparently me more so than others :D

For one - my fingers are too short - and I can't access all the Fn buttons - imagine that. I mean really :rolleyes:

Shooting /custom banks etc - perhaps one day you add that to the book. Right now I don't even want to see them

This is a trial and error camera. Don't forget to save your settings!

The upside is - the more you battle - the better you remember where to find what and you take control and responsibility for your own set-up.

BTW - there is a chapter in the Z9 book that covers setting up the banks :)

But that doesn't solve the single option RSF problem. RSF is through the custom settings bank and you can't assign a custom setting bank to Fn4; only a photo shooting banks. Changing photo shooting banks doesn't affect RSF as far as I can tell since RSF is set via the Custom Settings menu. Photo Shooting Banks only affect the items in the Photo Shooting menu.

One thing you could do though is add your Custom Settings Banks to the top of My menu and than use Fn4 to access the top item in My menu. Again, not elegant, but works-able. Plus, in that configuration, you can see any names you assign to the banks. The biggest issue, at least for me though, is that when I need an RSF function, I generally want it instantly and any extra menu diving slows me down too much.

I have fn1 assigned to Shooting Banks because it is so important for me to change rapidly between exposure modes and settings. So, just press fn1 and turn the rear command dial. Easy Peasy.

Now why can Nikon make it so we could just similarly change Custom Banks with the front commamd dial?

I have fn1 assigned to Shooting Banks because it is so important for me to change rapidly between exposure modes and settings. So, just press fn1 and turn the rear command dial. Easy Peasy.

Now why can Nikon make it so we could just similarly change Custom Banks with the front commamd dial?
Again, I don't think photo shooting banks are a substitute for proper RSF implementation since the banks don't save baselines. I agree that Nikon should also allow programmable buttons for Custom Setting banks too - and ideally, it would be nice to link them together. So, setting to PSB "B" also sets to CSB "B". Lots of better ways to do it than what we currently have IMO. Sony has it figured out, I'm sure Nikon can do it :)

Again, I don't think photo shooting banks are a substitute for proper RSF implementation since the banks don't save baselines. I agree that Nikon should also allow programmable buttons for Custom Setting banks too - and ideally, it would be nice to link them together. So, setting to PSB "B" also sets to CSB "B". Lots of better ways to do it than what we currently have IMO. Sony has it figured out, I'm sure Nikon can do it :)
Well, I agree that it would be nice to save a baseline and then be able to push a Restore button to bring it back.

There are workarounds, but since this has been beat to death...

Back