Need help with deciding on a new external desktop drive

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Why do I need more than 2 copies? Because my hard drives and my cloud server might fail simultaneously? That possibility seems wildly remote. Also, Amazon offers unlimited photo storage with a Prime account. I am likely going to switch to it.
As others have stated, best practice is three copies. It's not much extra trouble to have three versus two copies. For example, Time Machine on a Mac (HDDs not that expensive, software free) plus the cloud backup. The cloud backup handles the case where your house burns down, or all local hardware is stolen. The local backup handles the case where something goes awry with your cloud backup or access to your cloud backup. Restoring from the local backup is much much faster when possible, if needing to restore a large amount of data.

If it was really expensive to have three copies versus two, that would be one thing, but it is not.

What John said re backups. And if your single backup consists of a daily or weekly or whatever clone job…and you don't discover the issue with the file you have to have until after the corrupted one is synced to the backup…you're screwed. BackBlaze or DropBox or something with versioned backup history saves your bacon in this case…and while one could do it with DB, BackBlaze makes it easier.
My Synology NAS saves 20 versions of the files.

Ok, so does CCC and my external that backs up my direct attached RAID…and while versions are possible at home neither of them mean that an offsite backup isn't recommended by pretty much everyone. That wasn't really my point anyway.
I thought you were talking about corruption migrating to your local backup.

I thought you were talking about corruption migrating to your local backup.
I was…and hadn't thought about the fact that a lot of NAS's do versions so that capability would help of course but most of the comment was really aimed at the "I only need one backup and not an offsite one situation". No worries though…and the auto versioning capability is something that direct attached RAIDs don't do automatically so that's a point in their favor…and they're the right solution for some and the wrong solution for others.

Remote storage…either BackBlaze or DropBox or Sync or whatever is not expensive. If you've got a lot of images then there may be a lengthy time period to upload them all…and there may be monthly bandwidth caps that trip you up and cause some extra expense…but any of those solutions is around $100 a year and you're already paying the Internet bill anyway so that doesn't really count.
it's expensive for me. no matter the option i've priced, i'm well over $1k yr for 20TB.

This is a good discussion. I remember that the IT manager for the business I worked at had a system where he had a nightly backup of all the previous days work with multiple cad stations onto a hard drive plus the cloud and local server. He swapped out the hard drive and took it home every day. We had a couple of times where user errors at the work stations didn't properly save work and we had multiple ways to restore. Invaluable! Huge amounts of work were readily available.
This was a while back and more and better options exist now.
My brother is an IT manager who recommended me building my NAS also highly recommends 3 copies, one off site. He actually brought a hard drive of critical family records for storing at my house and one at my brother's house, as well as the cloud. In this case, he has 4 copies.
I think he said that anyone who has had to do difficult restores understands the need for multiple copies.

it's expensive for me. no matter the option i've priced, i'm well over $1k yr for 20TB.
BackBlaze is way cheaper than that…but you'll need a direct attached storage or a copy of the NAS data directly attached if your 20TB is on a NAS. BB doesn't care how much you backup…as long as it is connected to the computer it's $100ish a year. Now…uploading 20TB could take awhile and cause you some bandwidth charges but that's true no matter what cloud provider you use.

BackBlaze is way cheaper than that…but you'll need a direct attached storage or a copy of the NAS data directly attached if your 20TB is on a NAS. BB doesn't care how much you backup…as long as it is connected to the computer it's $100ish a year. Now…uploading 20TB could take awhile and cause you some bandwidth charges but that's true no matter what cloud provider you use.
hmm. i ran numbers on backblaze, perhaps i did them incorrectly, i suppose i should check again

Yeah, I don’t think BB cares how much you have. Pretty sure it’s one price, and again, if it’s all photos, it’s included with an Amazon Prime subscription. As to the time issue, I believe you can mail BB physical hard drives with your photos and go for forward from there.

ah, i see, it's how you use it.

i priced out their s3 storage and it's like $1.4k per year for my needs.

so i guess it comes down to me trusting how their software works. this all or nothing thing is a bit concerning to me, ymmv "All user data backed up by default – no picking & choosing".

It’s a fair point that HDD space is very affordable. I have an OWC Mercury Pro Dual that needs to be replaced because it (infuriatingly) disconnects itself from my Mac. Those HDDs are also getting a little aged, and I don’t have a ton of space left on them. I’d been pricing a Thunderbay with and without HDDs from OWC, and there is a massive price difference when you include the HDDs. But I could just buy the HDDs separately and save something like $600-$700. I hadn’t been willing to spend the necessary outlay for local redundancy, but I might just buy my own drives and do it.

Last edited:
I never delete images so I bought a 40TB raid drive from B&H. WAsn't cheap but very useful. So I have 20TB to use and that is backed up to the other 20TB. I also have a 10TB portable that I back up my main photo drive to and take it to a box at the bank every month. One thing I learned in computers is if you lose your data you lose your business. I also have seen many drive issues in my previous life as a computer hardware tech so I don't trust cloud computing.

It’s a fair point that HDD space is very affordable. I have an OWC Mercury Pro Dual that needs to be replaced because it (infuriatingly) disconnects itself from my Mac. Those HDDs are also getting a little aged, and I don’t have a ton of space left on them. I’d been pricing a Thunderbay with and without HDDs from OWC, and there is a massive price difference when you include the HDDs. But I could just buy the HDDs separately and save something like $600-$700. I hadn’t been willing to spend the necessary outlay for local redundancy, but I might just buy my own drives and do it.
It's easy to spend other people's money. But I look at what I've spent on camera equipment, photography software, trips where I took pictures ...

I currently have less than 5 TB of pictures (which is still, really kinda of a lot of pictures). You can get 8 TB of HDD for what, $150, $200? to cover local backups. Unless one's budget is really tight that doesn't seem like a lot of money. Supplemented with cloud backups, you have a fairly robust solution.

hmm. i ran numbers on backblaze, perhaps i did them incorrectly, i suppose i should check again
They have a basic backup plan and another one that is more expensive I think…basic is unlimited but only backs up locally connected drives…don’t know if the higher one does a SAS as well or not. But since you really want a local backup to the NAS anyway…making that a local spinning USB drive is fine since speed isn’t important and BB basic will happily back that one up. It might take weeks to get the initial backup done and might cause some more bandwidth charges…but both of those are one time things.

I never delete images so I bought a 40TB raid drive from B&H. WAsn't cheap but very useful. So I have 20TB to use and that is backed up to the other 20TB. I also have a 10TB portable that I back up my main photo drive to and take it to a box at the bank every month. One thing I learned in computers is if you lose your data you lose your business. I also have seen many drive issues in my previous life as a computer hardware tech so I don't trust cloud computing.
I question your claim about trusting cloud computing …if you think a 40TB RAID divided into 20 being used and the remaining 20 on the same RAID as athe backup is a good idea…I don’t know what to say Other than you have no backup that an IT pro would recognize as a backup. The 3-2-1 principle was invented by those guys. The ‘cloud’ that you poo-poo be it DropBox, BackBlaze or any of the others…has far more sophisticated redundancy in drives, arrays, and data centers than anything you can do yourself.

My advice is avoid buying this Product. I boughttwo of them (40 Tb each) One from Amazon and the other from a photographic Store well known here in Canada ( Vistek). The first drive stopped working after a month. It had 34 tb data. The second one whichi used as a back up for the first stopped working after 3 days from receiving it and transferring my files to it.
The big problem, is Seagate Service. You can only chat with them. The agents are nice, but they can’t resolve the issue. I sent both drive for data recovery ( Service included ). I got an email that they received my first drive and nothing about the second one. I tried to contact them to see what happened with my drive, but the phone seems alwYs disconnected. I sent them email, they never answered me. I tried to chat with no result. Data recovery was supposed to take at most 30 days. Two months later, nothing the Recovery Lab. my client files are on both drives. My Lightroom catalogue is on both drive. I wrote to the CEO asking for his help. He never replied. One day I found a box on my door, it was a replacement drive. Someone left on my door under the rain. The next week, another replacement drive arrived in sthe same way and the box was opened. I spend more than 40 hours of chat, with more than 8 opened cases. Three months later I received an email from the Recovery Lab that my data was fully and successfully recovered. I was happy until I got the recovery drives. Instead of 34 tb of data, they recovered 12 tb For the first drive. For the second it showed 35 tb ( it had 34 Tb of data in use). When I opened it, it was files that they were copied four times. So many data missing. My Lightroom catalogue was lost from both drives.
Add to that the replacement drives which supposed to have five year gurantee, showed when I registered them, thst the guarantee is three months. It took me 4 times chat, each time one hours and a half for them moto correct the guarantee.

i have never experience such horrible service. As I told you AVOID this compagny. I am like you now trying to find a safe way to back up my data. I am also trying again to build my Lightroom and Capture One catalogue.

Lina
The 40TB drive I have is Glyph brand. Been running well for about a year now. I still do a belt and suspenders approach and back it up on another drive weekly.

The whole password thing is something that drives me crazy. I have too many things that require passwords and my brain strains at trying to keep up with it all.

I don’t keep password lists for security reasons. I have tried programs that remember the passwords for you but I am also concerned about their security. Currently I use a system for creating passwords with a base algorithm that I am obviously not going to share here. Is that a mistake, will an unscrupulous hacker figure that out and suddenly I lost control of everything?

I see the tech world as besieged by spam and fraudsteers. I have been personally hacked a few times but so far have personally avoided losses. I am on constant alert.

All of us waste a huge amount of time, energy and expense on security measures. The justice system seems unable to manage the problem.

I saw the movie Beekeper recently and I found myself cheering the Hollywood solution. We need a Jason Statham to hunt down and wipe out the criminals who terrorize our lives. Of course that is only a fantasy.

Someone needs to come up with an effective technology based solution.

Maybe AI is the answer. We have our own personal AI protecting us. What then stop the AI which is obviously smarter than us from simply taking over and wiping us out.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

FYI

I was seriously unimpressed by this article. "If your backup account is hacked, your data may be vulnerable." Why yes, that is kinda true.

To which I'd add, If your brokerage account or bank account is hacked, your money is vulnerable. If your healthcare provider is hacked, your medical information is vulnerable. If a major credit report agency is hacked (hey wait, that happened ...) all your credit history and details around that history are vulnerable. If your machine is infected by malware, everything on it may be vulnerable. And email ... if your email account is hacked, is there anything in those emails of interest to a hacker?

The better backup services encrypt your data at rest and during transmission. Some will allow you to provide a key that *they do not retain*. So hacking the backup provider won't get you anything except a bunch of files protected with state of the art encryption. Of course, if only you know the key, should you lose/forget the key your data on the backup servers cannot be retrieved.

The article also extols the virtues of password managers, which I agree with; password managers are great and much better than the alternatives. Alas, if your password manager gets successfully hacked... well, that's bad since now all your accounts and passwords are vulnerable, conveniently organized in one place. If I were interesting in hacking, I would be targeting password managers and financial accounts, credit reporting agencies :), etc. Hacking individual cloud backups seems like a poor use of hacker time; sifting through, in my case, about 5 TB of data the vast majority of which is not valuable, to try and get ONE person's data. Versus going after financial institutions, etc, where the percent of interesting information is much higher.

The threat to my data is much less from my cloud backups than from many many other things. Take for example the Equifax breach in 2017. Nothing you as a consumer could have done to prevent that hack.

I was seriously unimpressed by this article. "If your backup account is hacked, your data may be vulnerable." Why yes, that is kinda true.

To which I'd add, If your brokerage account or bank account is hacked, your money is vulnerable. If your healthcare provider is hacked, your medical information is vulnerable. If a major credit report agency is hacked (hey wait, that happened ...) all your credit history and details around that history are vulnerable. If your machine is infected by malware, everything on it may be vulnerable. And email ... if your email account is hacked, is there anything in those emails of interest to a hacker?

The better backup services encrypt your data at rest and during transmission. Some will allow you to provide a key that *they do not retain*. So hacking the backup provider won't get you anything except a bunch of files protected with state of the art encryption. Of course, if only you know the key, should you lose/forget the key your data on the backup servers cannot be retrieved.

The article also extols the virtues of password managers, which I agree with; password managers are great and much better than the alternatives. Alas, if your password manager gets successfully hacked... well, that's bad since now all your accounts and passwords are vulnerable, conveniently organized in one place. If I were interesting in hacking, I would be targeting password managers and financial accounts, credit reporting agencies :), etc. Hacking individual cloud backups seems like a poor use of hacker time; sifting through, in my case, about 5 TB of data the vast majority of which is not valuable, to try and get ONE person's data. Versus going after financial institutions, etc, where the percent of interesting information is much higher.

The threat to my data is much less from my cloud backups than from many many other things. Take for example the Equifax breach in 2017. Nothing you as a consumer could have done to prevent that hack.

I agree. I use a Password manager plus 2-factor authentication. And a VPN. Still nervous.

The whole password thing is something that drives me crazy. I have too many things that require passwords and my brain strains at trying to keep up with it all.

I don’t keep password lists for security reasons. I have tried programs that remember the passwords for you but I am also concerned about their security.
password apps are the answer, but you need an app that encrypts the contents well, and you can control where the resulting file(s) reside and can do things like avoid the cloud

I don’t keep password lists for security reasons. I have tried programs that remember the passwords for you but I am also concerned about their security. Currently I use a system for creating passwords with a base algorithm that I am obviously not going to share here. Is that a mistake, will an unscrupulous hacker figure that out and suddenly I lost control of everything?

I see the tech world as besieged by spam and fraudsteers. I have been personally hacked a few times but so far have personally avoided losses. I am on constant alert.

All of us waste a huge amount of time, energy and expense on security measures. The justice system seems unable to manage the problem.

I saw the movie Beekeper recently and I found myself cheering the Hollywood solution. We need a Jason Statham to hunt down and wipe out the criminals who terrorize our lives. Of course that is only a fantasy.

Someone needs to come up with an effective technology based solution.

Maybe AI is the answer. We have our own personal AI protecting us. What then stop the AI which is obviously smarter than us from simply taking over and wiping us out.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I think most security experts recommend using a good password manager. In addition to keeping, obviously, passwords, you can put things like answers to security questions in the notes for a login. Incidentally, the answers to security questions should probably not be ... real answers. If the question is "what is your mother's maiden name?" answer something like Jennifer Lopez (and since the answers are fake, that's why you need to store them somewhere securely so you can actually answer the questions).

But I fear we are getting off into a tangent, and I'm not helping. I will merely repeat that of the threats to my personal data, my encrypted cloud backups are waay waay down the list of my concerns.

Back