New KASE filters / Nisi

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

yes all good points - and regret is a wasted exercise. Couldn't afford the 112 set anyway.
btw - a long time is relative - magnets also demagnetize, I read somewhere it could be like 10 years for the filters - but it depends on a number of things of course
Ha...if you met my wife, she'd tell you a long time in my world is like 6 months. Long time for filters in my opinion would be a few years (3-5). So that's my POV but I'm sure these could last 10+ assuming whatever causes breakdown of magnets to demagnetize isn't too accelerated.

If they are using rare earth magnets (like neodymium) they should only lose between 1% & 5% per hundred years. Alnico magnets degrade much faster.

Some info from the site:

Q: Can I leave my Magnetic filters attached to my lens at all times?
A: The Magnetic filters are not designed to be kept on your lens at all times. By making these filters so very easy to use and allowing you to swap them quickly when taking photos, the attached filters use a strong magnetic force and is not as secure as screwing a filter to your lens. We do not recommend that you walk around with these attached to your camera lens

Q: Can I use my magnetic lens caps on my magnetic circular filters.
A: No, the magnetic lens caps are for use on the magnetic adapters only and to protect the lens element. We advise storing your filters in the supplied filter case.

Perhaps a question to ask is this: Do you use a longer focal length sometimes? I am thinking if I (ever) receive my 180-600, would it even appeal to me to do any landscapes with it?
Keep in mind I am not a landscape photographer - so my experience in this field is limited. I simply dont know what I will like and what not - so I am asking what you are doing :D
I could imagine using the 180-600 as a landscape lens, but I would think that would be the exception rather than the norm. So far all of my use has been at ~150mm or less. Then again I'm not what one would call an accomplished landscape photographer. (Some might leave out the word "landscape" out of that last sentence. :cool: )

Well - I am useless at landscape - thats why I am going to take this little landscape thing and try and work at it a bit.
I can actually see myself using the longer lenses - as I simply dont get on with wide lenses. At least I can use it on the 70-200

I have a question for those who have the magnetic Kase filters - can you use any step up ring or so you have to use a KASE step up ring? Or will the filters only magnetically attach with KASE step up rings?

I have a question for those who have the magnetic Kase filters - can you use any step up ring or so you have to use a KASE step up ring? Or will the filters only magnetically attach with KASE step up rings?
It appears that getting a KASE step up ring will be beneficial (if not necessary). I don't have any step up rings, but I just did an experiment and put a KASE filter on a ferrous object (anything that a magnet would stick to) and it did stick to it, however it wasn't a very strong magnetic pull. I'm guessing the step up ring is also magnetic and not just "passive". So...

1) It could work if the step up ring is ferrous (can't be aluminum or brass)
2) Even if it did work, it probably wouldn't be a very strong bond.

So I'd opt for a specific KASE step up ring.

It appears that getting a KASE step up ring will be beneficial (if not necessary). I don't have any step up rings, but I just did an experiment and put a KASE filter on a ferrous object (anything that a magnet would stick to) and it did stick to it, however it wasn't a very strong magnetic pull. I'm guessing the step up ring is also magnetic and not just "passive". So...

1) It could work if the step up ring is ferrous (can't be aluminum or brass)
2) Even if it did work, it probably wouldn't be a very strong bond.

So I'd opt for a specific KASE step up ring.
Thanks - just quite difficult just ordering a step up ring from the UK to South Africa. But I suspect you are right. I emailed them - no response yet

Good question, I’ve always just assumed you need the KASE one because the step up rings have the magnetization in them to work with the filters.

Suppose other magnetic step up rings would work but this is honestly a situations where I wouldn’t want a non KASE step up ring to be the weak link in failing and causing the expensive KASE filter to fall off and get damaged or break.

I personally have many of their step up rings in for the 82mm set and a couple for the 112.

dupcak is correct in that the KASE step up rings have the extra magnetic pull since they seem to have the matching polarity to create a stronger attachment.

Good question, I’ve always just assumed you need the KASE one because the step up rings have the magnetization in them to work with the filters.

Suppose other magnetic step up rings would work but this is honestly a situations where I wouldn’t want a non KASE step up ring to be the weak link in failing and causing the expensive KASE filter to fall off and get damaged or break.

I personally have many of their step up rings in for the 82mm set and a couple for the 112.

dupcak is correct in that the KASE step up rings have the extra magnetic pull since they seem to have the matching polarity to create a stronger attachment.
thanks Stevie. Thinking it through makes sense

Some info from the site:

Q: Can I leave my Magnetic filters attached to my lens at all times?
A: The Magnetic filters are not designed to be kept on your lens at all times. By making these filters so very easy to use and allowing you to swap them quickly when taking photos, the attached filters use a strong magnetic force and is not as secure as screwing a filter to your lens. We do not recommend that you walk around with these attached to your camera lens

Q: Can I use my magnetic lens caps on my magnetic circular filters.
A: No, the magnetic lens caps are for use on the magnetic adapters only and to protect the lens element. We advise storing your filters in the supplied filter case.
I do leave the magnetic ring and magnetic lens cap on my 14-30, but not the filters.

I am trying to find these filters -
In the screenshot you can see 3 swift (push on, not screw-in nor magnetic) filters -
(screenshot from a Youtube video)
Blue-10 stops
green - 6 stops
yellow - 3 stops

has anyone here tried seen them/tried them yet?

View attachment 69877
I just bought the 16 stops from B&H to photograph the solar eclipse today

I do leave the magnetic ring and magnetic lens cap on my 14-30, but not the filters.
I leave the screw in ring on the lens too - there is no way I will screw that thing on every time I want to use filters.

I just bought the 16 stops from B&H to photograph the solar eclipse today
no way! well done. I am very keen to see what you manage to get

I leave the screw in ring on the lens too - there is no way I will screw that thing on every time I want to use filters.

no way! well done. I am very keen to see what you manage to get
I am going to photograph the solar eclipse today Which is going to be partiel where I live. But there is no sun yet and it is kind of cloudy. We still have three hours before the beginning of the eclipse. It does not look that the sun is showing up. However, I mainly looking for the total eclipse which is going to happen here on the 8 th of April 2024. Hope the sun will be more cooperative at that time

Well, with a step-up ring you kind of have to right?
I know it is a lot cheaper than a second set of filters, but it is still annoying to have to put on that ting before being able to use the filters with a smaller lens.
Watch me - I will probably leave that ring there 😂

My 70-200 will in all probability not be used for anything else really - unless I go to the bush. Then I can remove it for the time I do wildlife.

I am trying to find these filters -
In the screenshot you can see 3 swift (push on, not screw-in nor magnetic) filters -
(screenshot from a Youtube video)
Blue-10 stops
green - 6 stops
yellow - 3 stops

has anyone here tried seen them/tried them yet?

View attachment 69877
I bought the new Kase Wolverine filters set, 112 mm version. Once I learned (Henry Hudson pointed it out -- he does a few videos on Kase filters) that the lens hood for my 14-24 2.8 fits my 24-70 2.8 and my 50 1.2 lenses I put the 'adapter' ring on the lens hood then I'm good to go, easily, with the filters on whichever lens I'm using.

Yeah, being able to use the 112 on all is nice. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of that fast glass for my "normal" / "holiday" lenses.

Just wondering... if you guys leave the step-up ring on and cary the lens in your bag, are you not worried it will get some bumps and strain on the threads? Not worried it would rip the step-up ring from the lens and damage the threads?

And what about lens hoods? Did you get a magnetic one from Kase as well?

Yeah, being able to use the 112 on all is nice. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of that fast glass for my "normal" / "holiday" lenses.

Just wondering... if you guys leave the step-up ring on and cary the lens in your bag, are you not worried it will get some bumps and strain on the threads? Not worried it would rip the step-up ring from the lens and damage the threads?

And what about lens hoods? Did you get a magnetic one from Kase as well?
While my set up gives me the luxury to do so, I trashed the step up ring on Hudson's advice -- his problem with that ring precisely to do with risk to threads.

While my set up gives me the luxury to do so, I trashed the step up ring on Hudson's advice -- his problem with that ring precisely to do with risk to threads.
Okey I may be missing something - are you talking about the second ring you insert inside the screw on ring (Inlaid ring) That's what he doesn't recommend?
at the 7:05 mark
I dont use that either - I am not even sure what it does - and yes I must be blond - but if anyone can explain to me exactly what that inlaid ring does and why one should use it - I would be grateful. I dont have it installed and everything snaps on well - and the original lens cap still works once the screw in filter is installed (without inlaid ring)

When I refer to a step up ring I am referring to the screw on step up ring that I will put on my 70-200 (77mm) so I can use my 82mm filters on it (KASE 77-82step up ring)

Last edited:
Back